PDA

View Full Version : New to this!

noellebelle92
07-20-2014, 02:55 PM
I started my first cutting phase about a month ago. I'm eating four meals 3-4 hours apart. Macros are at 30% carbs, 50% protein, and 20% fat. Total calories = 1300 a day. I weight train upper body/lower body splits 5 days a week and do 1 day cardio (6 mile jog). I weigh 152 lbs and I am 5'6" tall.
So, I lost 2.5 lbs (total of 5 lbs) in the first two weeks and lost 1 pound last week. I gained one pound this week and I kept my nutrition right on track!
My goal is to build more strength and muscle. Any tips or pointers for a beginner? Any ideas why I gained a little bit of weight back? Any help is greatly appreciated!!

oregonchick76
07-20-2014, 03:24 PM
First off, the macro split of your meals makes no difference to total progress. If you 'feel' better on a particular macro breakdown by meal, by all means, but the only thing we focus on here is total calories and total macros for each 24 hour period. You could eat all your protein early and all your carbs late, or everything in one big meal, and it doesn't matter.

Second, doesn't matter how frequent your meals are. Many women here follow intermittent fasting and only eat 1-2 large meals later in the day. Again if this works for you and you like it, keep doing it, but not necessary for progress.

Third - weight loss is not a linear progress. Expect to see the weight fluctuate some up and down, with an overall trend each month to have a lower weight than the month before. Due to hormones, salt intake, glycogen stores, etc, water can fluctuate as much as 2-4 lbs.

1300 seems way too low for you. Should be able to cut steadily with 1800 calories. How are you tracking intake? Are you weighing your food on a scale?

I also think your exercise is excessive. What routine has you doing a 5 day per week split?

Girlw2browndogs
07-20-2014, 03:33 PM
You are eating far to little calories, especially for the workout you described. By doing that, your body is going into starvation mode and will actually start storing fat as a way to protect itself. I eat 1600 calories, (I'm 5' 2'', 123 lbs) and I eat 5 times a day (Breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, shake after workout and diner). There are many apps to track your food, I personally use MyFitness Pal. I weight train 4 times and week and do cardio twice a week.

noellebelle92
07-20-2014, 03:33 PM
I measure with measuring cups and knowing that 4 oz is about the same size as a deck of cards. I made a routine on my own based on what there is available at the gym I go to.
Meal 1: 1/2 c unsweet applesauce, protein waffles (2 scoops protein powder, 1/2 c egg whites, 1/2 c egg whites, 1/2 c oats), 2 fish oil caps
Meal 2:2 scoops protein in water
Meal 3:4 oz chicken, 1/2 c brown rice, 1 c romaine lettuce
Meal 4: 4 oz turkey, 1 sweet potato, 1 c black beans
I eat this every day. It is easier to prep and keep track of for me when it's the same

mcbourque
07-20-2014, 03:53 PM
Your cals are quite low. I'm cutting at 1400-1500 and I'm 5'3" 122lbs.

The actual food and the time you eat doesn't really matter as long as you hit your macros and cals.

It might feel easier for right now to eat the same food everyday and there is nothing wrong with that, but you've only been at it for a month. You might want some variety in the long run to insure you don't get bored and/or induce binge backlash (also a variety of food gives you a better chance to get all the vitamins and minerals your body need).

Cara0915
07-20-2014, 03:57 PM
I measure with measuring cups and knowing that 4 oz is about the same size as a deck of cards. I made a routine on my own based on what there is available at the gym I go to.
Meal 1: 1/2 c unsweet applesauce, protein waffles (2 scoops protein powder, 1/2 c egg whites, 1/2 c egg whites, 1/2 c oats), 2 fish oil caps
I eat this every day. It is easier to prep and keep track of for me when it's the same

You said above that you started your cut but want to gain muscle and strength. That's not going to happen eating 1300 calories. Which, BTW, you're not really eating, as using measuring cups/spoons and eyeballing are not accurate tracking methods. Everything needs to be weighed on a digital kitchen scale, in grams.
At your stats and since you're a beginner id def cut a good 15-20lbs then go into a building phase where you'd eat slightly over maintenance.

noellebelle92
07-20-2014, 03:58 PM
I'm planning on doing an initial cutting phase then alternating between cutting and bulking

kimm4
07-20-2014, 04:07 PM

You need more healthy fats in your nutritional plan.