PDA

View Full Version : so our vacation plans were foiled!

hmmmm16417
07-16-2014, 12:04 AM
we have had a vacation planned since last winter to go camping with my wife's family in al gonquin park in Canada. th epast couple weeks we have been getting everything together and ready (tent, ponchos, bug spray, etc.) and the passports have been tucked away in the filing cabinet.
last night I asked my wife to get the passports out and put them with everything else since we have to leave friday night for buffalo (at the in-laws house) so we can leave from there saturday morning. My wife's father has been looking forward to taking my daughter camping (she will be 3 in november).

Anyways, long story short.....my wife looked where she KNEW the passports were and the WERE NOT THERE! we looked high and low, every place we could think of throughout the entire house....CANNOT FIND THEM! No chance in replacing with only 3 days til we leave.

super bummed!!!!

My wife was very diappointed as well as her dad. Not much we can do at this point.

we both have our vacations scheduled with work and now ...no place to go.

I know how much my wife has been wanting to go to disney world as she hasn't been there in 10 years and she always talks about how excited she is to take our daughter.....So, I offered for us to make a spur of the moment change in plans and make a family trip to disney!

it didn't take much convincing LOL it definitely wasn't as cheap as camping, and would probably have been much cheaper if planned ahead, but I booked the flights and she got the resort and tickets! We are going to Disney from saturday - wednesday.

my wife is concerned that my daughter is too young and it may be a waste of money since she really won't remember it....but i think just the time together away from regular crap will be great. my daughter is facinated with disney princesses and fairies and absolutely LOVES putting disney puzzles together....especially the castle parts

we will definitely take lots of photos to remind the daughter hahaha will be a good chance for me to get some updated "after" photos as well.

couple questions:
1. anyone have experience with taking a young toddler to disney?
2. can i assume they have gym(s) in the resorts that I can hang out in since my sleep schedule is different than my wife & daughter?
(we are staying at the caribbean resort)

GuyJin
07-16-2014, 01:24 AM
I know how much my wife has been wanting to go to disney world as she hasn't been there in 10 years and she always talks about how excited she is to take our daughter.....So, I offered for us to make a spur of the moment change in plans and make a family trip to disney!

it didn't take much convincing LOL it definitely wasn't as cheap as camping, and would probably have been much cheaper if planned ahead, but I booked the flights and she got the resort and tickets! We are going to Disney from saturday - wednesday.

my wife is concerned that my daughter is too young and it may be a waste of money since she really won't remember it....but i think just the time together away from regular crap will be great. my daughter is facinated with disney princesses and fairies and absolutely LOVES putting disney puzzles together....especially the castle parts

we will definitely take lots of photos to remind the daughter hahaha will be a good chance for me to get some updated "after" photos as well.

couple questions:
1. anyone have experience with taking a young toddler to disney?
2. can i assume they have gym(s) in the resorts that I can hang out in since my sleep schedule is different than my wife & daughter?
(we are staying at the caribbean resort)
---

Too bad about the passports, but these things happen.

FWIW, my wife and I took our older son to (Tokyo) Disneyland (we live in Osaka) when he was about the same age as your daughter. (He's fourteen now and time flies when you're having fun...)

To answer your question about gyms, check with the hotels. They may have different hours for their gyms and a little searching online can give you pictures and times of operation better than I can.

As for your daughter, I'd make sure she's in the shade most of the time. Toddlers tend to get dehydrated much faster than adults, they'll get cranky, and they'll cry or pass out at the most inappropriate times. Take it all in stride. My son was into everything and even though he couldn't go on the adult rides, we took him on the merry-go-round and other toddler-friendly rides and exhibits. Again, check out what's available for little kids at the Florida resort. Google be yo' bestie now.

Expect the unexpected. If your daughter is fully toilet-trained, great. (Girls usually mature this way faster than boys at that age). If not, take extra changes of clothes just in case an accident occurs. It can happen, so keep that in mind.

I wondered the same thing, and my sister (who has no kids) gave me these words which I've never forgotten. "It may be a lot of trouble and money, but when Kai (my older boy's name) sees the night parade and his face lights up in a smile as wide as the magic of the moment, then it will all be worth it."

It will be worth it.

drudixon
07-16-2014, 04:05 AM
Taking a toddler to Disney is kind of a waste. My son at 8 doesn't remember it at 2. Take lots of naps, Mark your stroller with a weird balloon since others use red. Magic Kingdom is where you'll spend almost all your time and avoid animal Kingdom since joy of animals will quickly be replaced byomg I'm hot. AK is the hottest Park due to the berm.

SuperZar
07-17-2014, 08:23 PM
I was at Algonquin Park last week! It was great weather for the hiking trails, but at 2 1/2 she's a bit to young to go on them. It's one of the major attractions though. But yeah, I was camping with my kids when they were that age and it was great. Just so nice relaxing at the campsite and daily strolls to the beach. Personally, I've always preferred going there late July to early August. Less bugs and the beach water a bit warmer... maybe next time!

http://i1331.photobucket.com/albums/w596/Superzar/Family/EPL1-20140710-139_zps6c500c76.jpg

hmmmm16417
07-17-2014, 08:42 PM
grandpa is extremely disappointed that she can't go camping. he has been looking forward to it for a while (first grand child) - he wanted us to pretty much drop what we were doing and only keep looking for passports until the day we were supposed to leave to make sure we couldn't find them. hahaha I voted for not wasting the time off and have the family spend some quality time together doing something fun

Jtbny
07-17-2014, 08:54 PM
Sucks about the passports man.

I haven't brought my kids to Disney yet (2 and 3.5) but I'm sure you guys will have fun. Bring lots of sunscreen and water because there's nothing like Florida in July/August :D

Frnkd
07-18-2014, 03:52 PM
should have taken the grand parents so that you two too can go off on your own......just a thought. If you have grand parents like that they would be more than happy to stroll around the park and just enjoy your their grand child and with pictures later the memories will be with both at a prime time of both of their lives. just a thought.