PDA

View Full Version : Reporter suspended for Real Talk

KeepItMoving
07-15-2014, 07:15 AM
After another neighborhood shooting, a reporter covering the story interjects his position regarding one of the main, root causes for the violence. (At about the 2 minute mark) He has been suspended for offering his politically incorrect position. [How about the comments offered by the shooter's wife...]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOekY4FiGjU

x-trainer ben
07-15-2014, 08:03 AM
The corporate news business is all about profits and "numbers" or viewers so releasing this reporter is probably the result of fear. The fear that the stations numbers will plummet as a result of his personal remarks. But you know this already!

From the R+P section:
FL Police Dept Somehow Manages to Hire Three Klan Members

A Florida police department is seriously wondering where they went wrong after they learned last week that two of their officers were allegedly members of the Ku Klux Klan — especially since, five years ago, they had to fire another officer for being a KKK recruiter. (That is three Klansmen too many for an organization.)

The Fruitland Park police department received evidence from the FBI alleging that two of their own, Deputy Chief David Borst and Officer George Hunnewell, were secretly Klansmen. Though it’s technically not illegal for them to associate with the Klan (despite its classification as a hate group by the FBI), the conduct led Chief Terry Isaacs to investigate. Borst resigned of his own volition, but denied that he was a secret Klansman. (Hunnewell was fired for other performance issues.)

In a statement to the Orlando Sentinel, Isaacs said that the department was upset at the accusations. “The last thing I was expecting to hear in the year 2014 was for a professional law-enforcement officer to be a member of a subversive organization,” he told them.

Which is funny, because in 2009, the Fruitland Park police department had the exact same problem:

One Klan member in your police organization is bad. Two Klan members is probably worse. But discovering that your police organization’s hired three Klan members? You might as well bury your head in shame. Maybe in a white bag, to show your humility — waaaait.

Not an excuse here ^^^^ but not every person is perfect.

Brackneyc
07-15-2014, 08:41 AM
After another neighborhood shooting, a reporter covering the story interjects his position regarding one of the main, root causes for the violence. (At about the 2 minute mark) He has been suspended for offering his politically incorrect position. [How about the comments offered by the shooter's wife...]

He likely got suspended because what he said was fcking stupid. It wasn't politically incorrect at all, it was asinine. Calling a fat guy fat to his face, is politically incorrect. What the "reporter" did was assign cause and affect to a situation where clearly that isn't the case.

beachguy498
07-15-2014, 01:03 PM
At any rate, most of what we do see in the news is so scrubbed and sanitized its hardly worth watching.

SP1966
07-15-2014, 04:16 PM
What the "reporter" did was assign cause and affect to a situation where clearly that isn't the case.

If it's so clear could you share with us what makes it so?

Brackneyc
07-15-2014, 04:45 PM
If it's so clear could you share with us what makes it so?

He suggested that the "cause" of the problem is young black men growing up without fathers. That's his opinion. Far as I know, there is no scientific evidence to support this claim.

Oceanside
07-15-2014, 04:58 PM
He suggested that the "cause" of the problem is young black men growing up without fathers. That's his opinion. Far as I know, there is no scientific evidence to support this claim.

I'll go one step further and say the reporter was Overcompensating his own Prejudice by trying to make excuse's for this lowlife.....

he's a white man asking a black security guard if he had a permit to carry a weapon....

if that don't tip you off you're an idiot !

GuyJin
07-15-2014, 04:59 PM
Below is Bergin's comment.

“We were besieged, flooded with calls from police officers furious that we would give media coverage to the life of a cop killer. It’s understandable. We decided to air it because it’s important to shine a light on the anti-cop mentality that has so contaminated America’s inner cities. This same, sick, perverse line of thinking is evident from Jersey City, to Newark and Patterson to Trenton.”

“It has made the police officer’s job impossible and it has got to stop. The underlying cause of all of this, of course: young black men growing up without fathers. Unfortunately, no one in the news media has the courage to touch that subject.”

--

In this, he's making a generalization that all black men growing up without fathers is going to lead to violence and cop shootings and what have you. It may very well be true although I haven't seen any definitive stats on it. But it is NOT Bergin's place to make such an assumption, not without proof. I might add that any person growing up without a father regardless of race or ethnicity might be at risk. If there is definitive proof, can someone provide a link, please?

This is no way excuses what the cop-killer did. His wife is no great shakes and has the same anti-police mentality her now dead husband did...but still, it's her opinion, right or wrong. I find her way of thinking reprehensible, but again, she's entitled. I'll just add that a reporter is supposed to report the news, not give his/her personal views unless it's one of those panel shows and they can say what they like.

Just my opinion...

DuracellBunny
07-15-2014, 05:23 PM
It's the same phenomenon that has taken over many music and film stars; once they have a large enough audience they believe that because what they say will influence people (it will influence some statistically, simply due to audience sizes) that their opinions have inherent value/validity. What things evolve into is them editorialising on everything and that editorial becoming the story.

Until we stop giving a greater share of the newscycle to what some unqualified non-entiry thinks about a news item than the actual news item itself (look how many celebrity tweets make the news and how often some reality tv "star's" opinion on some subject is quoted), we are just encouraging this type of behaviour.

SP1966
07-15-2014, 05:41 PM

Is there scientific evidence to back your claim that it "clearly isn't the case"? I think a person has to be in serious denial to think any young boy growing up in a tough situation without the strong hand of a caring father is not more likely to make seriously poor life choices. Was it a direct cause and effect in this case? We don't know, but looked at from a wider perspective it damn sure is a problem for many.

Brackneyc
07-15-2014, 05:50 PM
Is there scientific evidence to back your claim that it "clearly isn't the case"? I think a person has to be in serious denial to think any young boy growing up in a tough situation without the strong hand of a caring father is not more likely to make seriously poor life choices. Was it a direct cause and effect in this case? We don't know, but looked at from a wider perspective it damn sure is a problem for many.

For some, maybe. Many? IDK.

My "evidence" is the millions of fatherless young men (of various races) who do not commit crimes of any sort. My evidence trumps the reporter 10/10 times.

It may well be a "risk factor" for committing crimes. Unless they can isolate that variable, too many variables to say, with any degree of accuracy.

DuracellBunny
07-15-2014, 05:56 PM

My "evidence" is the millions of young men (of various races) who do not commit crimes of any sort. My evidence trumps the reporter 10/10 times.

It may well be a "risk factor" for committing crimes. But hey, what isn't.

On that note -

A person's background may influence the range of choices available to them as well as making them more inclined to make certain choices; but at the end of the day, whatever they did, they had to make the choice to do it when they could have chosen not to.

SP1966
07-15-2014, 05:59 PM
On that note -

A person's background may influence the range of choices available to them as well as making them more inclined to make certain choices; but at the end of the day, whatever they did, they had to make the choice to do it when they could have chosen not to.

Personal responsibility, that's racist!

Oceanside
07-15-2014, 06:01 PM

My "evidence" is the millions of fatherless young men (of various races) who do not commit crimes of any sort. My evidence trumps the reporter 10/10 times.

It may well be a "risk factor" for committing crimes. Unless they can isolate that variable, too many variables to say, with any degree of accuracy.

On that note -

oh for the love of sweet baby jesus... this thread just got gayed up beyond belief !

DuracellBunny
07-15-2014, 06:14 PM
oh for the love of sweet baby jesus... this thread just got gayed up beyond belief !

http://media2.giphy.com/media/cyzke7dd7Zuww/200_s.gif

LMS62
07-15-2014, 06:55 PM
When a story is being reported, I personally don't give a damn about the reporter's personal opinion, and would prefer they kept it to themselves....even if it is an opinion I agree with.

KeepItMoving
07-16-2014, 11:56 AM
I guess my original point was how sad and shocking it is that this reporter got suspended for having the temerity to express an opinion that is critical about the actions of African American fathers absenteeism and how that may positively correlate to negative results within the family structures of African Americans. Agree or disagree with his assertion, I find it chilling that he was suspended for expressing a viewpoint on this subject matter.

DuracellBunny
07-16-2014, 12:17 PM
I guess my original point was how sad and shocking it is that this reporter got suspended for having the temerity to express an opinion that is critical about the actions of African American fathers absenteeism and how that may positively correlate to negative results within the family structures of African Americans. Agree or disagree with his assertion, I find it chilling that he was suspended for expressing a viewpoint on this subject matter.

His job is to report, not editorialise. If he was a sociology professor sat in the studio, then fair enough, but the reporter's job is to report the news, not become the news.

KeepItMoving
07-16-2014, 12:33 PM
His job is to report, not editorialise. If he was a sociology professor sat in the studio, then fair enough, but the reporter's job is to report the news, not become the news.Fair enough, but he didn't get a suspension for merely making a comment on the story. He got supended for being critical of African American fathers' absenteeism. (I really don't get how some keep missing this point.)

usersignup2
07-16-2014, 12:38 PM
His job is to report, not editorialise. If he was a sociology professor sat in the studio, then fair enough, but the reporter's job is to report the news, not become the news.

this.

if his job is to do an opinion piece ala Andy Rooney, well then he can have some leeway.

DuracellBunny
07-16-2014, 12:45 PM
Fair enough, but he didn't get a suspension for merely making a comment on the story. He got supended for being critical of African American fathers' absenteeism. (I really don't get how some keep missing this point.)

I'm not missing it, I just don't care. Whether the opinion was popular, unpopular, PC or non-PC, it wasn't his job to give one and if he had stuck to his job he wouldn't have got in trouble. If you can show me somebody in the same job as him with the same company espousing the opposite opinion and not being suspended then I will agree that it was related to his opinion.

x-trainer ben
07-16-2014, 12:47 PM
Fair enough, but he didn't get a suspension for merely making a comment on the story. He got supended for being critical of African American fathers' absenteeism. (I really don't get how some keep missing this point.)

Maybe you would consider foster parenting?????

KeepItMoving
07-16-2014, 12:53 PM
Maybe you would consider foster parenting?????I have my hands full raising my own Family. As Clint Eastwood said: "A Man's got to know his limitations." That said, I do volunteer my time as a Youth Football Coach, and alot of my players have come back to me, years later, to thank me for the influence I had on them during the time I Coached them. I also volunteer on a couple of Boards for helpning military families with post service issues such as PTSD, financial problems, legal issues, rent problems, etc. That said, I'm sure I could/should do more. Thanks.

x-trainer ben
07-16-2014, 02:02 PM
I have my hands full raising my own Family. As Clint Eastwood said: "A Man's got to know his limitations." That said, I do volunteer my time as a Youth Football Coach, and alot of my players have come back to me, years later, to thank me for the influence I had on them during the time I Coached them. I also volunteer on a couple of Boards for helpning military families with post service issues such as PTSD, financial problems, legal issues, rent problems, etc. That said, I'm sure I could/should do more. Thanks.

ok cool, well when you feel like updating the Database:

5 Lies We Should Stop Telling About Black Fatherhood
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/13/black-fatherhood-statistics_n_5491980.html

trailwkr
07-16-2014, 02:08 PM

You are the most clueless dolt I have come across in along time..numerous studies show families without a father in the house leads to more crime, juvenile delinquency, more out of wedlock births and poverty

trailwkr
07-16-2014, 02:11 PM

Blacks have a 78% out of wedlock birth rate. Look at the Dep't of Justice stats who are doing the most crimes per capita.

eomrat
07-16-2014, 02:22 PM
You are the most clueless dolt I have come across in along time..numerous studies show families without a father in the house leads to more crime, juvenile delinquency, more out of wedlock births and poverty

Only people who lack confidence in their position feel the need to result to insult.

acrawlingchaos
07-16-2014, 02:32 PM
Is there scientific evidence to back your claim that it "clearly isn't the case"? I think a person has to be in serious denial to think any young boy growing up in a tough situation without the strong hand of a caring father is not more likely to make seriously poor life choices. Was it a direct cause and effect in this case? We don't know, but looked at from a wider perspective it damn sure is a problem for many.But specifically blacks? As mentioned by the reported? White fatherless children were not the problem, only black fatherless children.

Blacks have a 78% out of wedlock birth rate. Look at the Dep't of Justice stats who are doing the most crimes per capita.And unless you're willing to intelligently discuss institutionalized prejudices in the same breath, your post wreaks of racism.

EDIT:

http://i.imgur.com/kHaWs1b.jpg

^^ OP ^^

trailwkr
07-16-2014, 02:42 PM
Only people who lack confidence in their position feel the need to result to insult.

I used the word dolt because he is one. Anyone knows families raised by a single parents have higher rates of crime, poverty and other social problems..
I have no use for clueless liberal idiots.

trailwkr
07-16-2014, 02:44 PM
MY point is the black community has it's problems due to the high rate of out of wedlock births and the trailer trash white community has the same problem and growing.
But specifically blacks? As mentioned by the reported? White fatherless children were not the problem, only black fatherless children.

And unless you're willing to intelligently discuss institutionalized prejudices in the same breath, your post wreaks of racism.

EDIT:

acrawlingchaos
07-16-2014, 02:59 PM
I used the word dolt because he is one. Anyone knows families raised by a single parents have higher rates of crime, poverty and other social problems.You do understand that cause doesn't necessarily equal correlation?

MY point is the black community has it's problems due to the high rate of out of wedlock births and the trailer trash white community has the same problem and growing.You specifically mentioned a statistic about blacks in particular. If you were not pointing the finger at the black community for being more criminally prone, what was your reason for citing it?

I have no use for clueless liberal idiots.Unlike you... because you obviously have all the answers. Educate me.

And why would you refer to women that give birth out of wedlock as trash? Why would you equate an average black woman with a lower class white woman who is "white trash"? Is it because of your religious or political beliefs? Upbringing?

Brackneyc
07-16-2014, 03:04 PM

Logic 101 a$$hole. Correlation does not equal cause.

Here is the reporters quote. He uses the word "CAUSE."

"The underlying cause of all of this, of course: young black men growing up without fathers. Unfortunately, no one in the news media has the courage to touch that subject.”

eomrat
07-16-2014, 03:05 PM
I used the word dolt because he is one. Anyone knows families raised by a single parents have higher rates of crime, poverty and other social problems..
I have no use for clueless liberal idiots.

You completely failed to understand his post. You also misidentified him as a liberal, which he most definitely is not. You also keep arguing against a position that no one has put forth. I suspect that this conversation may be a bit advanced for you.

Wyomann
07-16-2014, 03:21 PM
A single parent household is a risk factor in the delinquency of a child. Plenty of studies show that. Race doesn't have anything to do with it in and of itself.

Here are some other risk factors people can choose to believe or not believe.

Single parenthood (i.e., a lone-parent family);
Mental health of parents;
The number of children in the family;
The past/life-history experiences of parents;
Having a young mother; and
Instability in the family (e.g., unpredictable family income, multiple family transitions, broken home).
The presence of criminal elements (e.g., crime, young offenders and/or youth gangs);
Living in a disadvantaged neighbourhood (e.g., poverty); and
The availability of illicit and/or illegal goods (e.g., drugs, firearms).

SAVIGNAC, J. (2009). Families, youth and delinquency: The state of knowledge, and family-based juvenile delinquency programs (Research Report 2009-1). Ottawa: National Crime Prevention Centre, Public Safety Canada.

paolo59
07-16-2014, 03:31 PM
A single parent household is a risk factor in the delinquency of a child. Plenty of studies show that. Race doesn't have anything to do with it in and of itself.

Here are some other risk factors people can choose to believe or not believe.

Single parenthood (i.e., a lone-parent family);
Mental health of parents;
The number of children in the family;
The past/life-history experiences of parents;
Having a young mother; and
Instability in the family (e.g., unpredictable family income, multiple family transitions, broken home).
The presence of criminal elements (e.g., crime, young offenders and/or youth gangs);
Living in a disadvantaged neighbourhood (e.g., poverty); and
The availability of illicit and/or illegal goods (e.g., drugs, firearms).

SAVIGNAC, J. (2009). Families, youth and delinquency: The state of knowledge, and family-based juvenile delinquency programs (Research Report 2009-1). Ottawa: National Crime Prevention Centre, Public Safety Canada.

The latest statistics that I've seen regarding 'out of wedlock' births are as follows:
72.2 Black
53.5 Hispanic
29.4 Non-Hispanic White

In the United States there is a direct relationship between poverty, crime, and the lack of a responsible, stable, two parent home. I don't like social commentary from any reporter. That said, it would be foolish to deny or ignore the state of the family in our present day culture.

acrawlingchaos
07-16-2014, 03:48 PM
The latest statistics that I've seen regarding 'out of wedlock' births are as follows:
72.2 Black
53.5 Hispanic
29.4 Non-Hispanic WhiteWhy are you quoting racial statistics? Are you suggesting that this information indicates that blacks and Hispanics are more prone to crime?

In the United States there is a direct relationship between poverty, crime, and the lack of a responsible, stable, two parent home.There is a correlation, along with dozens of other risk factors factors.

That said, it would be foolish to deny or ignore the state of the family in our present day culture.Please explain, because I'm not sure how breaking away from tradition is necessarily bad.

trailwkr
07-16-2014, 04:11 PM
You specifically mentioned a statistic about blacks in particular. If you were not pointing the finger at the black community for being more criminally prone, what was your reason for citing it?

Unlike you... because you obviously have all the answers. Educate me.

Because blacks have the highest per capita crime rate in the US and why did I cite it? because this is what the thread is about the reporter citing the reason why the black community has it's problems.

And why would you refer to women that give birth out of wedlock as trash? Why would you equate an average black woman with a lower class white woman who is "white trash"? Is it because of your religious or political beliefs? Upbringing?

Let me expand...a woman having one child out of wedlock is not trash-accidents happen .. however a women having a litter of kids with many baby daddies is trash, black, hispanic or white

trailwkr
07-16-2014, 04:13 PM
Yes, blacks and hispanics have a greater rate of crime per capita and it does lead back to one parent families.

Why are you quoting racial statistics? Are you suggesting that this information indicates that blacks and Hispanics are more prone to crime?

There is a correlation, along with dozens of other risk factors factors.

paolo59
07-16-2014, 04:14 PM
Why are you quoting racial statistics? Are you suggesting that this information indicates that blacks and Hispanics are more prone to crime?

There is a correlation, along with dozens of other risk factors factors.

Please explain, because I'm not sure how breaking away from tradition is necessarily bad.

Crime knows no 'color.' You are a bright fellow, you look up the statistics on crime and perpetrators. It's not the 'color,' it's the 'risk factors' that are at play due to life's circumstances. Poverty is one of the leading factors relating to crime. It is not the only one, certainly. But it is one of the leading ones. As to traditional or non-traditional. I believe the risk factors increase with regard to 'single parent' homes. It is not an easy thing to raise a child, or a house full of children.

The intimation of 'racism' is unbecoming. It certainly is the first accusation that is always made. Nevertheless, it is disingenuous.

Corbi
07-16-2014, 04:21 PM
Clearly it's rap music and Dorito's that are the main cause of crime, well that and the lack of either money or decent drugs.

DuracellBunny
07-16-2014, 04:30 PM
Crime knows no 'color.' You are a bright fellow, you look up the statistics on crime and perpetrators. It's not the 'color,' it's the 'risk factors' that are at play due to life's circumstances. Poverty is one of the leading factors relating to crime. It is not the only one, certainly. But it is one of the leading ones. As to traditional or non-traditional. I believe the risk factors increase with regard to 'single parent' homes. It is not an easy thing to raise a child, or a house full of children.

One thing about the single parent homes statistic that always bothers me is that I don't believe the cause is usually looked at. Poverty increases the chances of certain things, but single parent families are more likely to be poor households, so is the single parent family bias to statistics simply the poverty bias shown through another layer.

I'll make some numbers up:

Poor households 50% more likely to commit crime.
One parent households 50% chance to be poor
One parent housholds 25% more likely to commit crime.

If those numbers were true, then the increase in crime from the one parent families would perfectly match what would be expected simply from them being poor. I made the numbers up, but they illustrate my point. You can look at the statistics for a group and they don't necessarily mean anything at all.

paolo59
07-16-2014, 04:48 PM
One thing about the single parent homes statistic that always bothers me is that I don't believe the cause is usually looked at. Poverty increases the chances of certain things, but single parent families are more likely to be poor households, so is the single parent family bias to statistics simply the poverty bias shown through another layer.

I'll make some numbers up:

Poor households 50% more likely to commit crime.
One parent households 50% chance to be poor
One parent housholds 25% more likely to commit crime.

If those numbers were true, then the increase in crime from the one parent families would perfectly match what would be expected simply from them being poor. I made the numbers up, but they illustrate my point. You can look at the statistics for a group and they don't necessarily mean anything at all.

In the United States the absolute leading indicator of whether a child will grow up marginalized, more likely than not in poverty, with a world of opportunity denied them is this factor; a young, ill-prepared, uneducated, single mother. This is the leading indicator. The color of the young woman doesn't matter in the least. It has absolutely nothing to do with those risk factors. There are always exceptions to these social/economic tendencies. But the sad truth is those exceptions are, not rare, but not the norm.

DuracellBunny
07-16-2014, 04:55 PM
In the United States the absolute leading indicator of whether a child will grow up marginalized, more likely than not in poverty, with a world of opportunity denied them is this factor; a young, ill-prepared, uneducated, single mother. This is the leading indicator. The color of the young woman doesn't matter in the least. It has absolutely nothing to do with those risk factors. There are always exceptions to these social/economic tendencies. But the sad truth is those exceptions are, not rare, but not the norm.

I don't dispute that the numbers say that. My point is that it is impossible to separate out how much of it is due to the single parenthood and how much of it is due to the poverty as they are intricately linked.

x-trainer ben
07-16-2014, 04:59 PM
And they never think about the drunk dad, the violent dad, the cheating dad, the gangster dad, the cheating in and out dad. Just the census dad!

paolo59
07-16-2014, 05:08 PM
I don't dispute that the numbers say that. My point is that it is impossible to separate out how much of it is due to the single parenthood and how much of it is due to the poverty as they are intricately linked.

Ah, I see your point! :) I suppose that if the single mother had 35 million dollars in the bank, it could make a 'singular' difference in her circumstances. Ha! Or simply educated, better prepared, and gainfully employed.

Corbi
07-16-2014, 05:17 PM

My mother raised 3 of us as a single mother and from the time I was 5 up to the age of 12 we were dirt poor and were on welfare and it absolutely sucked. Yet somehow myself as well as my sister and brother avoided prison, falling into the drug culture, etc etc. I think a lot of the issues of todays youths and the crime are related to the entertainment surrounding them. From rap music which glorifies the drug culture and the thug lifestyle, to movies and popular sports figures who these kids see as icons and want to be like them.

I honestly don't think it has jack $hit to do with being from a single parent home or being flat ass broke.

x-trainer ben
07-16-2014, 05:22 PM
My mother raised 3 of us as a single mother and from the time I was 5 up to the age of 12 we were dirt poor and were on welfare and it absolutely sucked. Yet somehow myself as well as my sister and brother avoided prison, falling into the drug culture, etc etc. I think a lot of the issues of todays youths and the crime are related to the entertainment surrounding them. From rap music which glorifies the drug culture and the thug lifestyle, to movies and popular sports figures who these kids see as icons and want to be like them.

I honestly don't think it has jack $hit to do with being from a single parent home or being flat ass broke.

Your correct as usual but it is a hell of a lot easier to look at a persons exterior and tell them why they are the way they are!

paolo59
07-16-2014, 05:26 PM

Brother, that was a different time and place. There is certainly a whole lot of crap today that we were never exposed to as kids! :( It sounds to me like you had one exceptional mother!

Corbi
07-16-2014, 05:56 PM
http://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/t1.0-9/10373953_1439482129649271_8428638308831352483_n.jp g

Brackneyc
07-16-2014, 06:05 PM

You my friend, are a violent criminal. Know how I know? Because absentee fathers are the cause of violent crimes. I saw it on the tv, so I know it is true.

Signed,

Your friendly dolt.

acrawlingchaos
07-16-2014, 06:26 PM
Because blacks have the highest per capita crime rate in the US and why did I cite it? because this is what the thread is about the reporter citing the reason why the black community has it's problems.

Let me expand...a woman having one child out of wedlock is not trash-accidents happen .. however a women having a litter of kids with many baby daddies is trash, black, hispanic or white

Yes, blacks and hispanics have a greater rate of crime per capita and it does lead back to one parent families.I'm guessing he was talking dirty in the female section.

Crime knows no 'color.' You are a bright fellow,Oh cool, we're being condescending. :p

you look up the statistics on crime and perpetrators. It's not the 'color,' it's the 'risk factors' that are at play due to life's circumstances. Poverty is one of the leading factors relating to crime. It is not the only one, certainly. But it is one of the leading ones. As to traditional or non-traditional. I believe the risk factors increase with regard to 'single parent' homes. It is not an easy thing to raise a child, or a house full of children.

The intimation of 'racism' is unbecoming. It certainly is the first accusation that is always made. Nevertheless, it is disingenuous.Show me where I called you racist. I am sure I didn't.

I was pretty straight forward with my questions.

If all you can do is place blame on minorities for societies issues based on statistics (which we all know are always spot on without design flaw) and you can't intelligently discuss institutionalized racism while pointing the finger....

You might be racist.... or ignorant.

acrawlingchaos
07-16-2014, 06:31 PM
Btw..... can someone actually cite a source for these statistics.

Karl_Hungus
07-16-2014, 10:00 PM

Not really -- you could determine the relative effect sizes of both with an appropriately constructed regression model provided you had a decent sample size. I'm too lazy (and not interested enough) to scour sociological abstracts, but I would be quite surprised if this exact analysis hasn't already been done multiple times.

darscogre
07-16-2014, 10:24 PM

It doesnt take a scientific genius with a fact sheet study to realize that that is exactly what the problem is. So no its not opinion. And the more and more people keep denying it and refusing to acknowledge the issue the longer and longer its gonna go on and never get better.
A real father takes an active role in his childs life, steering him in the right direction. And a child in return notices and respects the man and father that his father is and wants to be like him. Its kinda hard to do that when the father is out the door the moment the pregnancy test comes back positive.
A real father is a real man. Unlike these immature wannabe thugs, and the cycle continues and aint nobody gonna fix it cause aint nobody wanna acknowledge it and talk about it

ChazWood
07-16-2014, 10:44 PM
It doesnt take a scientific genius with a fact sheet study to realize that that is exactly what the problem is. So no its not opinion. And the more and more people keep denying it and refusing to acknowledge the issue the longer and longer its gonna go on and never get better.
A real father takes an active role in his childs life, steering him in the right direction. And a child in return notices and respects the man and father that his father is and wants to be like him. Its kinda hard to do that when the father is out the door the moment the pregnancy test comes back positive.
A real father is a real man. Unlike these immature wannabe thugs, and the cycle continues and aint nobody gonna fix it cause aint nobody wanna acknowledge it and talk about it
http://i.imgur.com/ImWpP2Q.gif

acrawlingchaos
07-16-2014, 10:51 PM
A real father is a real man. Unlike these immature wannabe thugs, and the cycle continues and aint nobody gonna fix it cause aint nobody wanna acknowledge it and talk about itOn a scale of 1 to 10, you're a f*cking idiot.

ChazWood
07-16-2014, 10:55 PM
On a scale of 1 to 10, you're a f*cking idiot.
Is that below professional dolt?

acrawlingchaos
07-16-2014, 11:12 PM
Is that below professional dolt?I think beyond is more appropriate.

..... I just....

I dunno.... dafuq

paolo59
07-16-2014, 11:23 PM
I'm guessing he was talking dirty in the female section.

Oh cool, we're being condescending. :p

Show me where I called you racist. I am sure I didn't.

I was pretty straight forward with my questions.

If all you can do is place blame on minorities for societies issues based on statistics (which we all know are always spot on without design flaw) and you can't intelligently discuss institutionalized racism while pointing the finger....

You might be racist.... or ignorant.

Good God! "Institutionalized racism?" You are one piece of work. Quality rises, despite the obstacle. People with values, deep held belief, put up with all manner of ($*%! They persevere, they excel, despite the deck of cards dealt against them! They may well end up being of much more worth, spiritually; heart, soul, mind, and freakin' body, than anyone within a 500 mile radius. They stand! :) You are pathetic brother. Pathetic! One, more interested in appearing to be intelligent. I don't give a freakin' (%*^ what you think of me. PRICK comes to mind!

Stats aren't mine. I have no invested interest in failing demographics. They are failing. Despite 5 decades of 'intervention.' God, I wish money would make a difference. It won't, it never has, it never will. Your intellect is wasted on your pride. Nobody is ever right all of the time. You have a glaring lack, historically. You deny what literally moved mountains and shaped continents.

acrawlingchaos
07-16-2014, 11:28 PM
Good God! "Institutionalized racism?" You are one piece of work. Quality rises, despite the obstacle. People with values, deep held belief, put up with all manner of ($*%! They persevere, they excel, despite the deck of cards dealt against them! They may well end up being of much more worth, spiritually; heart, soul, mind, and freakin' body, than anyone within a 500 mile radius. They stand! :) You are pathetic brother. Pathetic! One, more interested in appearing to be intelligent. I don't give a freakin' (%*^ what you think of me. PRICK comes to mind!

Stats aren't mine. I have no invested interest in failing demographics. They are failing. Despite 5 decades of 'intervention.' God, I wish money would make a difference. It won't, it never has, it never will. Your intellect is wasted on your pride. Nobody is ever right all of the time. You have a glaring lack, historically. You deny what literally moved mountains and shaped continents.It's amusing when you're drunk and attempting to wax poetic.

...and you accuse me of "attempting to appear intelligent". :rolleyes:

The stats may not be yours... but you'll sure as f*ck use them to validate your bigotry.... even if you don't understand them (or know where the information came from).

Stay classy.... "brother".... and rest assured, I won't lose a wink of sleep over how you feel about me.

Brackneyc
07-16-2014, 11:31 PM

No one is denying anything. The reporter spoke to the story, and assigned the "reason" for it on absent fathers. Stick to the topic. If you want to discuss it on a global scale, start a new thread.

But, let's assume he is 100%. What is your solution?

paolo59
07-16-2014, 11:39 PM
You my friend, are a violent criminal. Know how I know? Because absentee fathers are the cause of violent crimes. I saw it on the tv, so I know it is true.

Signed,

Your friendly dolt.

'Your friendly dolt?" There are mothers, despite incredibly difficult circumstances, who have managed to raise a family. Alone, without the help of an 'aunt' or 'grandmother.' Alone. In a man's world, where they worked for cents on the dollar. Just what was it that made the difference? Values inculcated? Alone, by themselves. You joke. A woman, alone with children, is almost always 5 times what a single man would be in the same situation. Not to take away from any man in similar circumstances. Edit: A woman who knows just who she is, what she is worth, and who she is responsible for...she is nothing to be messed with!

paolo59
07-16-2014, 11:42 PM
It's amusing when you're drunk and attempting to wax poetic.

...and you accuse me of "attempting to appear intelligent". :rolleyes:

The stats may not be yours... but you'll sure as f*ck use them to validate your bigotry.... even if you don't understand them (or know where the information came from).

Stay classy.... "brother".... and rest assured, I won't lose a wink of sleep over how you feel about me.

Well, in the words of a good ole' boy that we all love and respect. (%*$ you! That's not charitable...exactly, but it's heart felt! :)

Poetry resides in the soul. It springs up, remembering the past. Ah...that's (%*$% up tradition. You have no soul. You're not that young, but 'young man,' you HAVE no soul. :(

acrawlingchaos
07-16-2014, 11:46 PM
Well, in the words of a good ole' boy that we all love and respect. (%*$ you! That's not charitable...exactly, but it's heart felt! :)http://www.heathledgerplanet.com/forum/images/smilies/wanking.gif

DuracellBunny
07-17-2014, 06:08 AM
Not really -- you could determine the relative effect sizes of both with an appropriately constructed regression model provided you had a decent sample size. I'm too lazy (and not interested enough) to scour sociological abstracts, but I would be quite surprised if this exact analysis hasn't already been done multiple times.

There is a limit to my statistics (I did enough to be able to use them for what I need), so forgive me if I get this wrong: separating them at one level should be possible, but beyond that gets murky. They live in poverty now, but as many of them grew up in poverty you get in to the argument of were they more likely to become single parents having come from a poor background etc. I can believe that the studies have been done, but I can also believe that certain variables in the process have had to be "guesstimated". I'm just naturally skeptical of models of complex systems where ultimately some of the values are "assigned".

eomrat
07-17-2014, 06:21 AM
A reasonable difference of opinion on a complex and perplexing societal issue leeds to childish name calling.

How novel.

carlmer
07-17-2014, 06:29 AM
I take it from Crawlings posts he's getting some black pussy.

DuracellBunny
07-17-2014, 06:39 AM

You sir deserve a GTFO.

Brackneyc
07-17-2014, 07:20 AM
'Your friendly dolt?" There are mothers, despite incredibly difficult circumstances, who have managed to raise a family. Alone, without the help of an 'aunt' or 'grandmother.' Alone. In a man's world, where they worked for cents on the dollar. Just what was it that made the difference? Values inculcated? Alone, by themselves. You joke. A woman, alone with children, is almost always 5 times what a single man would be in the same situation. Not to take away from any man in similar circumstances. Edit: A woman who knows just who she is, what she is worth, and who she is responsible for...she is nothing to be messed with!

Ok, is the reporter right, that the underlying issue (in his story) is absent fathers.

Karl_Hungus
07-17-2014, 07:25 AM
There is a limit to my statistics (I did enough to be able to use them for what I need), so forgive me if I get this wrong: separating them at one level should be possible, but beyond that gets murky. They live in poverty now, but as many of them grew up in poverty you get in to the argument of were they more likely to become single parents having come from a poor background etc. I can believe that the studies have been done, but I can also believe that certain variables in the process have had to be "guesstimated". I'm just naturally skeptical of models of complex systems where ultimately some of the values are "assigned".

You do make a good point -- perhaps the mechanism by which single-parenthood is associated higher crime rates is the absence of a second income (more likely to be poor), so given the shared variance (and probable interactions), it might be tricky to determine the independent contribution of each.

Brackneyc
07-17-2014, 07:29 AM
You do make a good point however -- perhaps the mechanism by which single-parenthood is associated higher crime rates is the absence of a second income (more likely to be poor).

One could also conclude (if that were the "story" they were going for) that the poor simply have less access to the legal system, resulting in a higher instance of guilty verdicts.

DuracellBunny
07-17-2014, 07:46 AM
You do make a good point -- perhaps the mechanism by which single-parenthood is associated higher crime rates is the absence of a second income (more likely to be poor), so given the shared variance (and probable interactions), it might be tricky to determine the independent contribution of each.

One could also conclude (if that were the "story" they were going for) that the poor simply have less access to the legal system, resulting in a higher instance of guilty verdicts.

This is my point, there are so many variables that synergistically affect each other that you can't assign causation, but only correlation at best. Despite this, different commentators will use the same data sets as "proof" of disparate, and even conflicting, causal relationships.

frozensparky
07-17-2014, 08:45 AM
The reporter was actually stating why there is a mis-trust of the police in these areas not why there is crime. My guess would be a long history of police brutality & racism would be more of a cause of mistrust than growing up without a dad. That's not to say that all cops are bad or racist but it only takes a few to spoil the outlook for everybody, just ask the catholic priests. It doesn't help that whenever you see history shows about the civil rights movement it is always white cops turning the fire hose or the billy club on black people.

acrawlingchaos
07-17-2014, 10:33 AM
A reasonable difference of opinion on a complex and perplexing societal issue leeds to childish name calling.

How novel.Reasonable? We must have a different understanding of that.

You are correct, this is a perplexing and complex societal issue. So please explain how others were able to come to the conclusion that black and hispanics are criminally inclined based off of statistics that nobody has even cared to cite. That's not intelligent discussion, that's bigotry.

As far as I am concerned, they are worthy of my contempt.

There is a limit to my statistics (I did enough to be able to use them for what I need), so forgive me if I get this wrong: separating them at one level should be possible, but beyond that gets murky. They live in poverty now, but as many of them grew up in poverty you get in to the argument of were they more likely to become single parents having come from a poor background etc. I can believe that the studies have been done, but I can also believe that certain variables in the process have had to be "guesstimated". I'm just naturally skeptical of models of complex systems where ultimately some of the values are "assigned".People seem to forget that widespread prejudice still exists.

No one takes into account that whites are arrested far more often than any other race, but have a much lower incarceration rate... or that non whites tend to receive longer sentencing.

Again... were are all these studies though? Were are people drawing these conclusions from?

I take it from Crawlings posts he's getting some black pussy.And threads like this... makes comments like this acceptable. It's so much easier to be ignorant when you can share your stupid.

DuracellBunny
07-17-2014, 10:45 AM
No one takes into account that whites are arrested far more often than any other race, but have a much lower incarceration rate... or that non whites tend to receive longer sentencing.

Again... were are all these studies though? Were are people drawing these conclusions from?

I never mentioned race, I only discussed single parent households and poverty. For the record, I am part Spanish and have a Spanish name.

I didn't link any studies because my argument didn't need them; said argument being that studies don't actually show what they purport to show.

acrawlingchaos
07-17-2014, 11:07 AM
I never mentioned race, I only discussed single parent households and poverty. For the record, I am part Spanish and have a Spanish name.

I didn't link any studies because my argument didn't need them; said argument being that studies don't actually show what they purport to show.I actually agree with much of what you said.

I don't think your argument needed citation either.... you were not voicing radical or extreme opinions.

doughnutgut
07-17-2014, 11:12 AM

I tend to ignore appearances into these kinds of threads. I tend to see where they always head, and fast.

But this single comment has crossed a line that was totally uncalled for in any way, shape or form. You Sir, are a total ass.

frozensparky
07-17-2014, 11:22 AM
I tend to ignore appearances into these kinds of threads. I tend to see where they always head, and fast.

But this single comment has crossed a line that was totally uncalled for in any way, shape or form. You Sir, are a total ass.

Ya I have to 100% agree. That members been on here for a long time with very few posts. I had to wonder if it's a regular posters second account who just wanted to say something ignorant to get under ACCs skin. Either way the persons an idiot who doesn't deserve any more attention

ChazWood
07-17-2014, 12:01 PM
There's an excellent doc on this subject which I believe is also somewhat relevant to this "discussion".

The House I Live In (http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/house-i-live-in/)

ksRPKtBb-5M

theKurp
07-17-2014, 12:49 PM
There are mothers, despite incredibly difficult circumstances, who have managed to raise a family. Alone, without the help of an 'aunt' or 'grandmother.' Alone.

And did it drunk. Present company included.

Brackneyc
07-17-2014, 01:25 PM

Which of your parents taught you to talk like that?

paolo59
07-17-2014, 01:35 PM
Which of your parents taught you to talk like that?

I think it could be indicative of a 'lack' of decent parenting. Then again, sometimes people say and do things that are no true reflection on their parents at all. It all comes down to personal choices and decisions.

Old-Time-Lifter
07-17-2014, 01:46 PM

On a scale of 1 to 10, you're a f*cking idiot.

I don't see any outrage over ACC's insult so I don't think you can be outraged over Carlmer's comment. Which was obviously trying to be funny whereas ACC was flat out being insulting and trying to demean.

I think one should just process both through the lead of Eomrat's comment on top above....

This thread is pretty much just a waste imho but I certainly don't think one can be selectively outraged between these two posts.

acrawlingchaos
07-17-2014, 01:58 PM
I don't see any outrage over ACC's insult so I don't think you can be outraged over Carlmer's comment. Which was obviously trying to be funny whereas ACC was flat out being insulting and trying to demean.

I think one should just process both through the lead of Eomrat's comment on top above....

This thread is pretty much just a waste imho but I certainly don't think one can be selectively outraged between these two posts.I don't need to have tolerance for blatant hate mongering, and you if you can't tell the difference between the two comments... you're just another part of the wall that lacks perspective.

Thanks for adding drama to a thread you clearly stated wasn't worth your time.

A real father is a real man. Unlike these immature wannabe thugs, and the cycle continues and aint nobody gonna fix it cause aint nobody wanna acknowledge it and talk about itAnd if you think Darsogre's comment is seriously worthy of any amount of respect, otl, what so ever.

F*ck you too.

x-trainer ben
07-17-2014, 02:03 PM
This is actually pretty calm and mild compared to the r+p section, where missing fathers and crime stats are on every posters desktop :)

Old-Time-Lifter
07-17-2014, 02:07 PM
I don't need to have tolerance for blatant hate mongering, and you if you can't tell the difference between the two comments... you're just another part of the wall that lacks perspective.

Thanks for adding drama to a thread you clearly stated wasn't worth your time.

And if you think Darsogre's comment is seriously worthy of any amount of respect, otl, what so ever.

F*ck you too.

Thanks for trying to put words in my mouth and for proving my point while you're at it.

Come on you're smarter than that, you can argue with data that supports your point rather than throwing the f-word around.

Have a nice day.

acrawlingchaos
07-17-2014, 02:32 PM
Thanks for trying to put words in my mouth and for proving my point while you're at it.Call it like I see it.

Come on you're smarter than that, you can argue with data that supports your point rather than throwing the f-word around.I can argue with data.... absolutely. Where is it? I don't see a shred of data provided. Perhaps you can link me to where ANYONE provided anything other than random unsupported statistics.

What I saw was biased hate mongering with absolutely no interest in discussion, I asked for citations now several time. What astonishes me, is you fail to see the difference between calling someone an idiot, and dragging my better half into this discussion in any way, shape or form.

As far as the two claims I've made.....

I claimed that whites are actually arrested more frequently than any other race; and incarcerated less frequently.
http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2012/crime-in-the-u.s.-2012/tables/43tabledatadecoverviewpdf

I claimed that blacks and hispanics tend to receive longer sentences than their white counterpart.
http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1985377

Old-Time-Lifter
07-17-2014, 02:51 PM
Call it like I see it.

I can argue with data.... absolutely. Where is it? I don't see a shred of data provided. Perhaps you can link me to where ANYONE provided anything other than random unsupported statistics.

What I saw was biased hate mongering with absolutely no interest in discussion, I asked for citations now several time. What astonishes me, is you fail to see the difference between calling someone an idiot, and dragging my better half into this discussion in any way, shape or form.

As far as the two claims I've made.....

I claimed that whites are actually arrested more frequently than any other race; and incarcerated less frequently.
http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2012/crime-in-the-u.s.-2012/tables/43tabledatadecoverviewpdf

I claimed that blacks and hispanics tend to receive longer sentences than their white counterpart.
http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1985377

Kudos... finally you backed up your point. He said it was his opinion and nothing more.

All you had to do was provide the links you have now rather than going to a vicious insult. You see what I'm getting at?

You only make yourself look small and just as ignorant when you can only throw around the f-word.

I've taken no position on this and I'm happy to listen to arguments from both sides but don't think I'm going to take you seriously if you go to verbal abuse and bullying.

No time to read the links right now but I'll take a look later. One must remember though that just because an issue involves race does not automatically mean it's racist, sometimes (too rarely) we need to be realists as well.

Now if the other side has links to studies throw them up as well.

(I'll add that if you actually have a black gf which I have no idea if you do or not and I don't care, but if the Carl guy knew that, which I have no reason to believe he did because I didn't than his comment exceeds yours in it's crudeness and tastelessness. But I'll will point out that in an argument if you pull a knife don't be surprised if the other guy pulls a gun. If you want to be treated respectfully than remain respectful as well.)

Have a great day and I mean that sincerely

acrawlingchaos
07-17-2014, 03:29 PM
Kudos... finally you backed up your point. He said it was his opinion and nothing more.Go back and read his comment. He said it WASN'T an opinion and proceeded to refer to black men as immature wannabe thugs.

Are you sure you really read his comment?

All you had to do was provide the links you have now rather than going to a vicious insult. You see what I'm getting at?I did.... the first time I was asked... which was by you.

You only make yourself look small and just as ignorant when you can only throw around the f-word.

I've taken no position on this and I'm happy to listen to arguments from both sides but don't think I'm going to take you seriously if you go to verbal abuse and bullying.I'll call a piece of sh*t out as a piece of sh*t any day of the week... and I've been using profanity as punctuation for the better part of my life.

Not every opinion is worthy of respect and occasionally worthy of derision.

One must remember though that just because an issue involves race does not automatically mean it's racist, sometimes (too rarely) we need to be realists as well.We absolutely need to be realistic which means if you want to comment on racial disparity, you need to account for racism.

If you refuse to account for institutionalized racism while blatantly point the finger at minorities without further investigation past some random statistics, you are only looking to support your bias.

acrawlingchaos
07-17-2014, 03:33 PM
I'll add that if you actually have a black gf which I have no idea if you do or not and I don't care, but if the Carl guy knew that, which I have no reason to believe he did because I didn't than his comment exceeds yours in it's crudeness and tastelessness. But I'll will point out that in an argument if you pull a knife don't be surprised if the other guy pulls a gun. If you want to be treated respectfully than remain respectful as well.)
That user is a dummy account with 20 posts, high reps, and has attacked other 035s without adding anything to the conversation.

If you can see the difference between my comments and his... I don't even know where to go with this.