PDA

View Full Version : How many days a week should I train legs?

aims2010
07-15-2014, 05:48 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm really self conscious of my legs and bum. My upper body is quite toned but I don't know if that's cuss I train that 3 times a week and my lower body (legs/glutes) once a week, And I run on other days.

How many days should I train my lower body to get ripped legs and build a muscle on my glutes?

BRlAN
07-15-2014, 05:53 AM
If you're running 3x a week I'd guess you're trying to lose weight? If that's the case then you wont build muscle if you're on a caloric deficit regardless of how often you train legs. 2-3x a week is reasonable to train legs though, doing it every other day (3-4x) isn't going to kill you, it all depends how you split the workouts, what your body can handle via the intensity of each sesssion.

oregonchick76
07-15-2014, 09:31 AM
5'5" and 121 lbs. If your rear isn't solid it's due to a lack of muscle.
We tend to hold more fat on our hips/thighs, and if there isn't a solid foundation of muscle underneath, it's not going to look great.

Have you ever worked on adding muscle? As in a proper bulk? You need to train right, but you also HAVE to eat to support those gains.

aims2010
07-15-2014, 11:20 AM
Hi, I don't really want to lose any weight cuss I'm 121lbs 5ft 5, I'm quite toned but would like to see more muscle definition. I've never been on a bulk before cuss I'm not sure how I would need to train and eat. I've tried reading into the calorie surplus but it confuses me so I aim for 121 grams of protein a day and eat 80% of the time clean.
This is my current plan
Mon - run or rest
Tues - shoulders and arms
Weds - run
Thursday - back and arms
Friday - rest
Sat - legs/glutes
Sun - run

oregonchick76
07-15-2014, 02:30 PM
Hi, I don't really want to lose any weight cuss I'm 121lbs 5ft 5, I'm quite toned but would like to see more muscle definition. I've never been on a bulk before cuss I'm not sure how I would need to train and eat. I've tried reading into the calorie surplus but it confuses me so I aim for 121 grams of protein a day and eat 80% of the time clean.
This is my current plan
Mon - run or rest
Tues - shoulders and arms
Weds - run
Thursday - back and arms
Friday - rest
Sat - legs/glutes
Sun - runYou need a different routine. Did you put this one together yourself? Arms don't need two days, and chest is completely absent? Get on a proven routine. If you have less than a year of solid lifting experience, maybe try a full body routine 3 x per week. Starting Strength is one good beginner program. You should be mastering the compound lifts first - squat, deadlift, bench press, overhead press, chin ups, rows.

Either a full body 3 x per week or an upper/lower or push/pull routine that hits each muscle twice a week would be a better fit.

Eating clean really means nothing in terms of progressing towards muscle gains OR fat loss. You need to eat your target calories (surplus for gaining muscle/deficit for losing fat) and hit your target macros - adequate protein/fat/carbs.

Bulking is simply eating in a slight surplus (enough to gain 1-2 lbs per month) and lifting a solid progressive routine consistently.

aims2010
07-15-2014, 02:46 PM
I've been working out for about 10 years but only lifting for 2 years this month. I try and change my plan every 12 weeks and I do do abbs, pull ups and press ups. I don't do any chest workouts apart from press ups as I've got implants so I don't feel comfortable. I like the idea of trying an upper and lower body plan that hits muscles twice a week.

I don't eat anything processed but when I say 80% it's cuss I have a cheat meal every weekend and I occasionally add sauce. I really do need to figure out how many calories to eat cuss I'm really not sure how to figure it out. Can you help? My weight is 121lbs