PDA

View Full Version : Hip operations????

happywithit
07-14-2014, 02:38 PM
My better half will be having a hip operation in September. I'm really worried about the operation but also him after. He is very active and sporty, and I'm worried about him feeling low after if he isn't able to continue with his sports.

Has anyone had this kind of operation? How long did it take to recover? Are you able to continue with your sports/activities?

There is plenty of medical information on the internet which I'm looking at, I'm just hoping to hear about more personal experiences so I know how to help him and support him.

Thanks.

Black Sunday
07-14-2014, 03:08 PM
What kind of operation, total hip replacement?

Had bi-lateral hip resurfacing in 2009 and it gave me my life back. Before the operation even the most mundane tasks like putting on socks was torture.

After i was fully healed the doc said i could do anything i liked, running, jumping etc. Three herniated lumbar discs kill me if i try to run, but I can squat a couple of plates without issue and get around well at work installing offices. The work is beating up my knees pretty badly and i think the right one will need replacing in the near future.

I have an acquaintance with a knee and a hip who still goes skiing and he's older than I am.

While it's not as good as the original factory equipment, it certainly beats walking around in pain and in my case with extremely limited mobility as well. I could feel the difference right out of surgery, had both of them done three days apart.

Took care of myself right out of the nursing home, didn't want or need any help and didn't need any motivation from others. Good luck

Steve

happywithit
07-14-2014, 03:32 PM
Thank you. I'm not sure of the details right now. He is working abroad but he has been in terrible pain for sometime now, but is always putting off the op 'because it's not a good time'. It has obviously come to the point where timing doesn't matter.
I'm glad to hear it has all worked out for you. That is encouraging.
From what I've read on the internet, sex will be better for him too. :)

He will be doing lots of rowing and skiing so I hope recovery is pretty quick for him.

Black Sunday
07-14-2014, 03:58 PM
Thank you. I'm not sure of the details right now. He is working abroad but he has been in terrible pain for sometime now, but is always putting off the op 'because it's not a good time'. It has obviously come to the point where timing doesn't matter.
I'm glad to hear it has all worked out for you. That is encouraging.
From what I've read on the internet, sex will be better for him too. :)

He will be doing lots of rowing and skiing so I hope recovery is pretty quick for him.

I'd be willing to bet that if he has a total replacement, the first words out of his mouth will be, I should have done it sooner. I have quite a few friends who've had it done and all were very happy with the results. For what it's worth the guy who skis was a competitive rower in his youth and tried out for the olympic team. Not sure if he made it or not.

debandmikeb
07-14-2014, 05:58 PM
I had a total right hip done in April of 2013. I was in terrible pain and as Black Sunday said, even the most basic tasks were difficult. I could hardly make it to the rest room across the hall from my pre-op get ready room. When I woke up, it was like being in another body. As remakable as this may sound, I was in no pain at all!! I had no pain from the procedure or from the incision. The following morning I was walking the halls and the next day I was climbing stairs. For all the hall prowling I was doing, you woulda thought they could have found a walker that *didn't* howl and screech. :) I guess I was kind of an oddity because when the nurses would ask for my 1 to 10 pain scale, I would just say "Well, maybe one."
Because I live in a house with the bedroom and bathroom on the first floor, I was able to go home after only six days. The home PT was pretty easy, mostly range of motion and walking. Once I was done with that, I could continue on my own without needing out patient PT. Every week it got easier and easier and all the time totally pain free.
I was never a skier or a runner but within a reasonable amount of time, my Dr said I could do whatever I wanted. After 15 months or so, I am totally pain free, able to get around and do anything I could do before and have even returned to the gym.
Please do not let him put off this procedure. It is a highly successful operation with a huge return on investment.
Good luck

beachguy498
07-15-2014, 04:18 AM
From people I know that have had the replacement, the better the shape you are in before surgery, the better the recovery is. This is why people who are age 70 or 80 have a tough recovery, all of their supportative elements (muscle, ligaments and so on) are not in great shape. I'm a candidate eventually for my right hip. One guy I know, had both of his done over a period of 2 years. The doctors were hesitant since he was only 42... but man was he beat up. He's like a new man today.

happywithit
07-15-2014, 12:52 PM
I'd be willing to bet that if he has a total replacement, the first words out of his mouth will be, I should have done it sooner. I have quite a few friends who've had it done and all were very happy with the results. For what it's worth the guy who skis was a competitive rower in his youth and tried out for the olympic team. Not sure if he made it or not.

Funny you should mention this, it's all familiar.