PDA

View Full Version : Respect - Jeter

Jtbny
07-14-2014, 09:31 AM
Many who aren't baseball fans probably won't enjoy this but there is something to be said about a person who just goes about everything with class and respect. Baseball will miss having him in the game not because he's a great player but because of the way he represents himself, his team and the game.

Anyhow enjoy.

http://youtu.be/d7I4tpYg05Y
d7I4tpYg05Y

ajdahlheimer
07-14-2014, 09:37 AM
Sweet. Impossible to not respect "The Captain" in my opinion.

bodyhard
07-14-2014, 09:39 AM
One of the greatest Yankees in my book not for his playing but his all around demeanor!

RESPECT!!

Jtbny
07-14-2014, 09:40 AM
Sweet. Impossible to not respect "The Captain" in my opinion.

I think it's fitting that ARod is out this year too. He's like the anti Jeter, very self serving and smug.

ajdahlheimer
07-14-2014, 09:43 AM
While we are on the topic of Yankee legends, I like to watch this vid every now and then. Tribute to Joe Dimaggio shortly after he died.

HACxkr-8V3w

RedSox1990
07-14-2014, 09:48 AM
Jeter is probably one of the few Yankees I actually like but I hate this trend of declaring retirement before their last season because they want a "farewell tour." Doesn't it just come off like an ego thing?

Also he should not be an All Star just because its his final season...hes one of the worst SS in baseball this year according to sabermetrics. Being an all star is not a lifetime achievement award, its for guys who are having a good season this year.

ajdahlheimer
07-14-2014, 09:54 AM
Jeter is probably one of the few Yankees I actually like but I hate this trend of declaring retirement before their last season because they want a "farewell tour." Doesn't it just come off like an ego thing?

Also he should not be an All Star just because its his final season...hes one of the worst SS in baseball this year according to sabermetrics. Being an all star is not a lifetime achievement award, its for guys who are having a good season this year.

I see somebody is still bitter about Wade Boggs and Roger Clemens.....

Jtbny
07-14-2014, 09:55 AM

I'm not a huge fan of the retirement tour myself. Just remember though it's the other teams doing it not the Yankees.

As for the "not an all star" number wise, this year, you're right. I think you miss the point of baseball though. It's always been a game about respecting the past traditions and it's players. The same thing can be said about many players in their last year. Remember Ripkins last all star game? Arod switched positions so Ripkin could play SS. I bet you ask any player to vote and I'd guess the vast majority would vote Jeter in the game. There are just some players that garner that much respect.

Brackneyc
07-14-2014, 09:56 AM

I disagree in part. I'd rather see a mid-level player (statistically) who brings his best game every game, than some POS with a bad attitude. At the professional level, the difference between the best and the worst player is barely noticeable (if at all) without statistics.

The All-star game isn't about playing baseball.

RedSox1990
07-14-2014, 10:06 AM
I see somebody is still bitter about Wade Boggs and Roger Clemens.....

Not at all, that just my opinion.

I'm not a huge fan of the retirement tour myself. Just remember though it's the other teams doing it not the Yankees.

As for the "not an all star" number wise, this year, you're right. I think you miss the point of baseball though. It's always been a game about respecting the past traditions and it's players. The same thing can be said about many players in their last year. Remember Ripkins last all star game? Arod switched positions so Ripkin could play SS. I bet you ask any player to vote and I'd guess the vast majority would vote Jeter in the game. There are just some players that garner that much respect.

Yeah I didn't say it was a Yankee thing, I can see Ortiz possibly doing it in a few years. I just see it as that last time they will get their egos fed. Although you also have to deserve the farewell tour (like Jeter and Mariano did), Arod's numbers are quite legendary but I doubt he gets a farewell tour lol.

No doubt players would vote for Jeter but I rather have the best talent at the All Star game. Jeter has been in his share of All Star games and what if he was taking the spot of a young up and coming SS who was having a better season?

I disagree in part. I'd rather see a mid-level player (statistically) who brings his best game every game, than some POS with a bad attitude. At the professional level, the difference between the best and the worst player is barely noticeable (if at all) without statistics.

The All-star game isn't about playing baseball.

Id rather see the best talent in the All Star game, which I thought was the reason for "All Star" events. Idk why you would discount statistics when evaluating best and worst players but thats another discussion, dont mean to stray away from Jeter thread.

I always enjoy seeing his original scouting report:

http://gamedayr.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/derek-jeter-high-school-scouting-report-570x739.jpg

Jtbny
07-14-2014, 10:10 AM
When you have fans voting the players in the validity of the game is gone btw ;)

ajdahlheimer
07-14-2014, 10:13 AM
I'm going to the game, RedSox1990. It's here in Mpls where I live. I'll cheer extra hard for him just for you. :D

RedSox1990
07-14-2014, 10:18 AM
When you have fans voting the players in the validity of the game is gone btw ;)

Completely agree! Thats why Garret Richards from LA isnt there when hes having an amazing season.

I'm going to the game, RedSox1990. It's here in Mpls where I live. I'll cheer extra hard for him just for you. :D

Haha lucky you, cheer away :D

Brackneyc
07-14-2014, 10:20 AM
Id rather see the best talent in the All Star game, which I thought was the reason for "All Star" events.

The best "talent" from various teams does not translate into a good show (imo) when they are all on the field at the same time. This is true in football and basketball as well.

If I want to see good games, I steer well clear of all-star games. They tend to suck.

ajdahlheimer
07-14-2014, 10:21 AM
Haha lucky you, cheer away :D

And don't forget, Big Papi was a Twin BEFORE he was ever a Red Suck, brah.....

Brackneyc
07-14-2014, 10:23 AM

Put a bunch of relative unknowns with a good glove/bat on the field, and the fans will watch Big Bang Theory instead.

Jtbny
07-14-2014, 10:30 AM
Put a bunch of relative unknowns with a good glove/bat on the field, and the fans will watch Big Bang Theory instead.

Agree. I don't think the fans voting in the players is a bad thing. I do however think deciding which league gets home field as a result of the game is a terrible thing but that's not what I made the thread about :D

ajdahlheimer
07-14-2014, 10:35 AM
Agree. I don't think the fans voting in the players is a bad thing. I do however think deciding which league gets home field as a result of the game is a terrible thing but that's not what I made the thread about :D

Interleague play has really taken a lot of the luster off the whole American vs National league in the WS though. There's no nostalgia left there.

silverlightning
07-14-2014, 10:37 AM
I wish ESPN would stop showing them on sunday night football and show the Dodgers who have two no hitters this season and are in first place.

Brackneyc
07-14-2014, 10:44 AM
Interleague play has really taken a lot of the luster off the whole American vs National league in the WS though. There's no nostalgia left there.

Agreed.

GreenWave1
07-14-2014, 11:03 AM
I'm a Red Sox fan and I hate the Yankees with a passion. That said, I respect their organization and the commitment their fans have. Derek Jeter and Mariano Rivera are the best Yankees of this generation (and among the best players in general) and were great for baseball. They played the game the right way, with respect and dignity. I can't say I'll be happy to see them both gone, because great players make the rivalry so much better.

quicksand jesus
07-14-2014, 11:50 AM

The Allstar game is for the players the fans want to see play. Right or wrong thats what is is.

I do agree that home field should not be decided by the winner of this game though.

Jtbny
07-14-2014, 12:17 PM
I wish ESPN would stop showing them on sunday night football and show the Dodgers who have two no hitters this season and are in first place.

Don Mattingly was my favorite player growing up. I'm glad he's doing well with the Dodgers although I wasn't aware they played football.

Sunday night games start at 8pm Est. One main reason you don't see many left coast teams on the ticket.

I'm a Red Sox fan and I hate the Yankees with a passion. That said, I respect their organization and the commitment their fans have. Derek Jeter and Mariano Rivera are the best Yankees of this generation (and among the best players in general) and were great for baseball. They played the game the right way, with respect and dignity. I can't say I'll be happy to see them both gone, because great players make the rivalry so much better.

I agree that the rivalry is much better when these types of players are around. Same could be said about the Sox and Pedro or Manny ect. I couldn't stand either player but missed seeing them in the Sox uniform against the Yanks.

Whether any fan of other teams wants to admit it Jeter is the face of baseball presently and the game will miss him.

ajdahlheimer
07-14-2014, 12:32 PM
Don Mattingly was my favorite player growing up. I'm glad he's doing well with the Dodgers although I wasn't aware they played football.

I'm a Twins fan but chose the Yanks as my 2nd team from the 96-01 teams. Bernie Baseball, Paul O'Neil (also like him on the Reds), Jeter, Knoblauch (former Twin), and Brosius were my favorites. Pitchers--gimme Boomer, Cone, Rivera, Petitte.

Favorite Play of that team's era: The Leyritz bomb off of Wohlers.

http://i39.tinypic.com/hrblp5.jpg

GuyJin
07-14-2014, 02:29 PM
I'm a Yankees fan and I hate the Red Sox with the passion of a thousand suns exploding instantaneously, obliterating all matter in their galaxy and beyond...but will have to agree that statistically speaking, Jeter is not up there with some of the other shortstops.

However, the All-Star game has never been about fairness. It's a popularity contest. Always has been and always will be. And right now Jeter is the man of the moment. I don't get into fare-thee-well tours, either, but, as mentioned above, he isn't the only player to have his moment in the sun while others got shut out. So deal with it. If the other players are THAT good, they'll get there.

And face it, Jete was good for baseball. He played it with joy and passion, didn't complain (for the most part) did his job well, and got along (at least publicly) with everyone. He's the Captain and that's done with a capital 'C' as only two others in Yankee history have ever been captain of the ship. It may sound like nothing to a Bosox or LA Doyers fan, but to a Yankee fan it carries a special meaning. He's got the stats, got the rings, and got the talent. He could play one more year and add to his stats, but to him, he's going out near the top (more or less) and why hang on? He's got money, and he doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who'd come out of retirement just to get a few more million bucks.

Jeter will always be the Captain of the modern Yankees, more so than Munson was (and I greatly respected Munson). The guy was and is an asset to the game and I wish him well in his final AS appearance and the rest of the season.

eomrat
07-14-2014, 03:44 PM
ITT GuyJin casts pearls.

Perfect analysis.

djflex
07-14-2014, 05:05 PM

ar.

I hear you but i think it gives the fans a chance to get out one last time to see a legend of the game. Its good for baseball in a way, and fans of that player

Jtbny
07-14-2014, 05:59 PM
I hear you but i think it gives the fans a chance to get out one last time to see a legend of the game. Its good for baseball in a way, and fans of that player

It's good for baseball period.

crupiea
07-14-2014, 08:52 PM

The red sox fans tipping their hats left a hole in my soul.

Some people will do anything for money.

mirroroferised
07-14-2014, 10:02 PM
He'll be missed (some of the time :p)

Jtbny
07-15-2014, 04:59 AM
The red sox fans tipping their hats left a hole in my soul.

Some people will do anything for money.

He will get a standing ovation his last game in Fenway so that hole will get even bigger for ya.

Firminator4
07-15-2014, 06:46 AM
I've never liked the Yankees but anyone that loves baseball has to respect Jeter. He plays the way my Dad always taught me baseball should be played. Total respect for the game and the people that preceded him.

I wish him nothing but the best. I will watch some of the game tonight just to see him play his last all-star game. I just wish he was playing longer so my 7yr old grandson could watch him play more.

Oh well - I'll just teach my grandson to play the game the way our hometown boy Mike Trout does. Not a bad example either.

Firm