PDA

View Full Version : Need surgery on my left shoulder :(

bodyhard
07-14-2014, 09:52 AM
Just got back from my sports doctor and unfortunately I will need surgery on my left shoulder.

I have "frozen shoulder" and what sucks is that he needs to do two types of surgery one on my clavicle to give me "space" and allow for more mobility and one on my shoulder joint itself, he said is arthritis building up and it is what causing me the pain.

My range of motion is too limited and the pain is just too much to bear. He gave me a cortisone shot but I don't feel anything, pain is still there.

So I have to go back for pre-op screening on Aug 4th :(

Old-Time-Lifter
07-14-2014, 09:54 AM
That sucks. :(

Shoulder surgery is no fun... hope to avoid another one for many years.

bodyhard
07-14-2014, 09:56 AM
That sucks. :(

Shoulder surgery is no fun... hope to avoid another one for many years.

Sure does Roy but if I don't get it is just going to get worst.

And a funny note, I called Patty and told her that they were going to have to amputate my arm, she went nuts!!

I wish I would have recorded the conversation! :D :D

mslman71
07-14-2014, 09:57 AM
Just got back from my sports doctor and unfortunately I will need surgery on my left shoulder.

I have "frozen shoulder" and what sucks is that he needs to do two types of surgery one on my clavicle to give me "space" and allow for more mobility and one on my shoulder joint itself, he said is arthritis building up and it is what causing me the pain.

My range of motion is too limited and the pain is just too much to bear. He gave me a cortisone shot but I don't feel anything, pain is still there.

I feel you on this one. I went through surgery for frozen shoulder/OA a few years ago, no acromioplasty. Is there any arthritis in the glenohumeral joint (not the acromioclavicular) itself or is it only frozen shoulder?

ajdahlheimer
07-14-2014, 09:57 AM
Cortisone shots typically take a day and a half to kick in, but that sucks about needing surgery BH...

bodyhard
07-14-2014, 10:03 AM
I feel you on this one. I went through surgery for frozen shoulder/OA a few years ago, no acromioplasty. Is there any arthritis in the glenohumeral joint (not the acromioclavicular) itself or is it only frozen shoulder?

I have no idea, the more he spoke the more depress I got. He did say arthritis was kicking in and pointed to the area where it was. He pointed to the area between my shoulder and chest, right in the middle.

Cortisone shots typically take a day and a half to kick in, but that sucks about needing surgery BH...

Ohh OK, Tuesday I bench so I will see if it helps any.

mslman71
07-14-2014, 10:09 AM
I have no idea, the more he spoke the more depress I got. He did say arthritis was kicking in and pointed to the area where it was. He pointed to the area between my shoulder and chest, right in the middle.

Well, that's sorta where the GH joint is located. If you can find out, like in the form of a radiologist's readings, it would be good to know. I was originally diagnosed with frozen shoulder. I had the first signs of osteoarthritis at that time as well. Being bull headed I went ahead and pushed it harder in the gym. The tightness from the frozen shoulder combined with pushing the weights accelerated the deterioration of the cartilage, which caused the bones to deform, and now the thing looks like a bomb went off in there. By the time I had the capsular release (cut the ligaments) the damage was done. If you do have signs of moderate to severe OA in that joint, stop doing bar pressing work right now. It will tear that joint all to hell and you'll be permanently ****ed. Take care of the frozen shoulder first and go easy on the pressing. If you have any specific questions on the shoulder stuff, shoot me a message on Facebook. Trust me, this injury really, really sucks, and sorry to say so, but if you're smart about it you can minimize the rate of deterioration.

bodyhard
07-14-2014, 10:22 AM
Well, that's sorta where the GH joint is located. If you can find out, like in the form of a radiologist's readings, it would be good to know. I was originally diagnosed with frozen shoulder. I had the first signs of osteoarthritis at that time as well. Being bull headed I went ahead and pushed it harder in the gym. The tightness from the frozen shoulder combined with pushing the weights accelerated the deterioration of the cartilage, which caused the bones to deform, and now the thing looks like a bomb went off in there. By the time I had the capsular release (cut the ligaments) the damage was done. If you do have signs of moderate to severe OA in that joint, stop doing bar pressing work right now. It will tear that joint all to hell and you'll be permanently ****ed. Take care of the frozen shoulder first and go easy on the pressing. If you have any specific questions on the shoulder stuff, shoot me a message on Facebook. Trust me, this injury really, really sucks, and sorry to say so, but if you're smart about it you can minimize the rate of deterioration.

Will do, how long for recovery after this?

The doc did tell me if I continue I will eventually have to reconstruct my whole shoulder with metal pins and sh!t/

mslman71
07-14-2014, 10:31 AM
Will do, how long for recovery after this?

The doc did tell me if I continue I will eventually have to reconstruct my whole shoulder with metal pins and sh!t/

I think the AC excision (if that's what they're doing) takes a while. I think there are a few guys around here who've had it done. Like most things it varies from person to person, but a couple of months minimum would be my guess.

There's a few things they can do for the frozen shoulder. One is where they knock you out and just forcibly stretch the shoulder through its ROM and the other is what I had done, where they cut the ligaments themselves. Honestly, neither one of these really made a difference for me in terms of ROM or pain. As far as recovery and prognosis, it really depends on what's going on in there. If you don't exactly what their findings were and what the problem is you really can't put together a plan for moving forward.

Are you still doing squats, overhead press, and incline press? By the time I had the diagnosis I couldn't even think about doing a squat because of the limited range of motion and pain.

bodyhard
07-14-2014, 10:35 AM
I think the AC excision (if that's what they're doing) takes a while. I think there are a few guys around here who've had it done. Like most things it varies from person to person, but a couple of months minimum would be my guess.

There's a few things they can do for the frozen shoulder. One is where they knock you out and just forcibly stretch the shoulder through its ROM and the other is what I had done, where they cut the ligaments themselves. Honestly, neither one of these really made a difference for me in terms of ROM or pain. As far as recovery and prognosis, it really depends on what's going on in there. If you don't exactly what their findings were and what the problem is you really can't put together a plan for moving forward.

Are you still doing squats, overhead press, and incline press? By the time I had the diagnosis I couldn't even think about doing a squat because of the limited range of motion and pain.

Yup I do all the movements with pain but I don't stop :(

Sometimes when I do squats the pain os so bad I clench my teeth while doing the movement.

mslman71
07-14-2014, 10:39 AM
Yup I do all the movements with pain but I don't stop :(

Sometimes when I do squats the pain os so bad I clench my teeth while doing the movement.

Just be warned that this is what I did and it didn't end well. In fact, up to a point, the more pain there was the angrier I got and pushed even harder, right up until it became physically impossible. I never really had any AC problems so I don't know how they'll factor into your lifting routine, but when I dropped the heavy bar bench a lot of my daily pain went away. However, at the same time I also dropped incline and shoulder presses (which really suck because those were historically my best lifts).

All of this may be a false alarm if you don't actually have OA of the shoulder (glenohumeral joint, specifically).

beachguy498
07-14-2014, 10:46 AM
I was all set to go for surgery sometime in 2011 on my shoulder. My orthopedic doctor wanted me to "prehab" it first, starting in late 2010. The better shape its in before surgery, the better the recovery will be. I had crap for ROM, so I went to PT for 3.5 months 2-3 times a week and did exercises at home too.

I did so well in PT that I'm postponing the surgery, which works for me, but probably wouldn't be that good for you. I really had to limit any overhead and some "push" type exercises. I do about 60% pull exercises right now.

bodyhard
07-14-2014, 10:53 AM
I was all set to go for surgery sometime in 2011 on my shoulder. My orthopedic doctor wanted me to "prehab" it first, starting in late 2010. The better shape its in before surgery, the better the recovery will be. I had crap for ROM, so I went to PT for 3.5 months 2-3 times a week and did exercises at home too.

I did so well in PT that I'm postponing the surgery, which works for me, but probably wouldn't be that good for you. I really had to limit any overhead and some "push" type exercises. I do about 60% pull exercises right now.

I did PT for almost a year now. But my shoulder is getting worse.

Brackneyc
07-14-2014, 11:00 AM
I've had both shoulders done. One was due to a full tear, and the other was just because I have had many smaller injuries which eventually caught up. I can OHP pain free, both in front of and behind my head. I am glad I had them done. I would be unable to lift had I not done them.

Jtbny
07-14-2014, 11:01 AM
Crappy news John. You still attempting the meet August 9th?

mslman71
07-14-2014, 11:08 AM
I did PT for almost a year now. But my shoulder is getting worse.

This was my experience as well.

bodyhard
07-14-2014, 11:16 AM
Crappy news John. You still attempting the meet August 9th?

I will be there, but I wont compete as I would be fresh out of surgery.

I've had both shoulders done. One was due to a full tear, and the other was just because I have had many smaller injuries which eventually caught up. I can OHP pain free, both in front of and behind my head. I am glad I had them done. I would be unable to lift had I not done them.

How long did the recovery take?

bodyhard
07-14-2014, 11:18 AM
I forgot to mention the pain in my neck according to the doc is due to my scapula compensating for the lack of mobility from my shoulder. Which also could be the reason for my lost of strength on my hands, a pinch nerve from the scapula trying to overcompensate for the shoulder joint.

Brackneyc
07-14-2014, 11:27 AM
How long did the recovery take?

The worst one (right shoulder) was done prior to my return to the gym. Recovery (with PT) was about 5-6 months IIRC. The other shoulder was done after I was totally back in the gym. Recovery (with PT) was 3 months or so. I also had a Carpal Tunnel release done at the same time (same day) as the second shoulder, so that affected recovery a little, but not much.

I have also had two discs taken from my neck (and a titanium plate+cadaver bone put in). I was back in the gym a few weeks later, and almost 100% back within a few months. Odd surgery, but the recovery was easy.

bodyhard
07-14-2014, 11:30 AM
The worst one (right shoulder) was done prior to my return to the gym. Recovery (with PT) was about 5-6 months IIRC. The other shoulder was done after I was totally back in the gym. Recovery (with PT) was 3 months or so. I also had a Carpal Tunnel release done at the same time (same day) as the second shoulder, so that affected recovery a little, but not much.

I have also had two discs taken from my neck (and a titanium plate+cadaver bone put in). I was back in the gym a few weeks later, and almost 100% back within a few months. Odd surgery, but the recovery was easy.

Damn! :(

Thanks for the feedback...

Not sure if this means anything but the front of my shoulder is really starting to hurt real bad now, not sure if the cortisone shot has anything to do with this but the front of my shoulder is in crazy pain right now more than normal, I mean seriously hurting and I am not even doing anything.

mslman71
07-14-2014, 11:36 AM
Not sure if this means anything but the front of my shoulder is really starting to hurt real bad now, not sure if the cortisone shot has anything to do with this but the front of my shoulder is in crazy pain right now more than normal, I mean seriously hurting and I am not even doing anything.

On me, if the pain is where you described, about "half way between the shoulder and the chest" that's the GH arthritis. Up from the center of the elbow, slightly out, on the front of the shoulder is typically related to the (long head of the) biceps tendon (which could be from the impingement), and diffuse/outside pain across the delts is common for the RC group related to impingement. Shoulders can be tricky though as the location of pain doesn't always translate to the location of the injury.

Brackneyc
07-14-2014, 11:41 AM
Damn! :(

Thanks for the feedback...

I've had cortisone shots before. The shot hurt, and my issues were far beyond inflammation, so the shots never helped. My insurance company requires the shots first, or I would never have had one.

Funny thing about injured shoulders, but they hurt (when injured) no matter what body part you train. Well, for me anyway. Most guys consider doing heavy legs while they rehab shoulders after surgery. I never could. Heavy squats specifically were impossible. The weight I "could" do was all but worthless for legs. Walking was a better option for me.

Whatever you do, if you have surgery, follow the rehab orders, even if it is "no lifting" during that time. I attribute all of my post-surgical success to doing what I was told. My doctor (a lifting guy) said I am the exception when it comes to having made such good recoveries in strength and ROM. He said my training and my willingness to follow his suggestions (and do my PT) were a huge part of my recovery.

He has done 3 of my 4 procedures. A spinal doctor did my neck, and there was no active rehab for that.

Fishman15
07-14-2014, 11:43 AM

So typically BH, when they give you the cortizone shot they also give you a numbing medicine like novacaine to lessen the pain of the shot itself. This numbing medicine will also go right into the painful area and should give you the added benefit of numbing your pain for a 1/2 day or so and then the cortizone should kick in a couple days after. If you did not get any relief from the numbing medicine immediately, that's a pretty good indicator you won't get much from the cortizone either.

That was my experience every single time for the cortizone injections I had in my shoulder and I had several over a 2 year period before I finally did my surgery about 10 days ago. One thing that might put a smile on your face thinking about recovery time is I think someone who has been actively lifting and using their shoulder is going to recover much faster than the typical immobile person who has surgery.

I mean I was suppose to be in a sling at least until my 2 week post op appt. The 2nd day after the surgery I started taking it out for a little bit here and there. I have now been out completely for about 3 or 4 days and already see my ROM increasing on a daily basis. Good luck to you

bodyhard
07-14-2014, 11:45 AM
On me, if the pain is where you described, about "half way between the shoulder and the chest" that's the GH arthritis. Up from the center of the elbow, slightly out, on the front of the shoulder is typically related to the (long head of the) biceps tendon (which could be from the impingement), and diffuse/outside pain across the delts is common for the RC group related to impingement. Shoulders can be tricky though as the location of pain doesn't always translate to the location of the injury.

Yup that is where the pain is now, seems the bone, which hurts me is not hurting right now, but the front of my shoulder, I guess it is the ligament, it is killing me right now.

bodyhard
07-14-2014, 11:46 AM
So typically BH, when they give you the cortizone shot they also give you a numbing medicine like novacaine to lessen the pain of the shot itself. This numbing medicine will also go right into the painful area and should give you the added benefit of numbing your pain for a 1/2 day or so and then the cortizone should kick in a couple days after. If you did not get any relief from the numbing medicine immediately, that's a pretty good indicator you won't get much from the cortizone either.

That was my experience every single time for the cortizone injections I had in my shoulder and I had several over a 2 year period before I finally did my surgery about 10 days ago. One thing that might put a smile on your face thinking about recovery time is I think someone who has been actively lifting and using their shoulder is going to recover much faster than the typical immobile person who has surgery.

I mean I was suppose to be in a sling at least until my 2 week post op appt. The 2nd day after the surgery I started taking it out for a little bit here and there. I have now been out completely for about 3 or 4 days and already see my ROM increasing on a daily basis. Good luck to you

I am the same way, shoulder hurts no matter what movement I am doing, curls, deadlifts, squats, rows doesn't matter the shoulder is in constant pain.

Fishman15
07-14-2014, 11:52 AM
I am the same way, shoulder hurts no matter what movement I am doing, curls, deadlifts, squats, rows doesn't matter the shoulder is in constant pain.

get it done and start to look forward then. Sometimes life throws us a step back to get two steps forward...

bodyhard
07-14-2014, 12:09 PM

I missed this, thanks for the input.

ajdahlheimer
07-14-2014, 12:38 PM

Yep, my cortisone shot I got in my elbow a couple years ago didn't do anything right or away or later. But I remember them saying it would be 36-48 hours.....

Capt_Lou
07-14-2014, 12:47 PM
Well you can come to Ohio and train legs with me and Carl lol

DeTazMan
07-14-2014, 01:35 PM
When I had mine done, it was probably around 8-10 weeks before the PT said I could get back in the gym..

silverlightning
07-14-2014, 09:44 PM
Sorry To Hear John. Never Had Frozen Shoulder But I Had Extreme AC Joint Pain And Part Of MyNeck Kinda The Middle Part Clavicle Was Injured For A Few Months In 2013. Limited Range Kg.motion A.D. Couldn't Train Chest/Delts Other Than Very Light Weight. No Dumb Bell Pressing At All, Dips, Pushups, Pullups. I Did Get Massage Therapy Which Really Helped. I Basically Had To Start Pressing 95Lbs And Work My Way Up. The Injury Is Still Lingering.

beachguy498
07-15-2014, 05:13 AM
I had a cortisone shot in the shoulder by some knife-happy quack, which helped immediately. I went to a real shoulder surgeon and had a real diagnosis performed. MRI, another sonogram-guided set of shots. Which worked somewhat within a few days. I had a partially frozen shoulder and PT loosened it up. They can move the arm in positions that I could not. But if your PT had no luck with it, time for the knife. :(

I just started back with OHP last week, going very light with the weights and working on my form, so far, so good. No clicks, no pain.

whatevergirl
07-15-2014, 04:27 PM
Sorry to hear this...:( I hope your surgery goes well...and you have a speedy recovery. Surgery sounds so...idk. Daunting? :o

I just hope you get a full ROM back, or as close to it as possible. Good luck to you; sending healing thoughts!

djflex
07-15-2014, 07:07 PM
Sucks man, but you already know you will bounce back

mcbourque
07-15-2014, 08:24 PM
Sorry to hear that. It does really suck.

But hopefully once you get through this, the pain will be gone!
Sometimes you just gotta get it done before it gets worse.

At least they have a solution to your problem (I wish they had one for my wrecked hip)
Wishing you a prompt recovery :) hang in there!

Bando
07-15-2014, 09:04 PM
wow. this is tough Man.

BH been my inspiration for a long time. BH spotting you, gets you a 10lb PR.

kinda hard to be weak with this mutherfuker up in your corner:

http://i.imgur.com/Pfd4zGRl.jpg

Hope you heal up quick, as the song says "I need your strength to find my own"

StressMonkey
07-15-2014, 09:15 PM
That sucks BH. Sorry to hear that.