PDA

View Full Version : Brother In Law has Cancer

Old-Time-Lifter
07-14-2014, 09:21 AM
Those that are willing to throw up prayers please pray for my bil Roger and more so his family. My wife just called and said they found cancer in his upper chest or throat (pretty sketchy at the moment) and whatever it is they found it in several lymph nodes as well. It sounds pretty bad at the moment.

Now Roger has NEVER taken care of himself. He is an invalid from years of daily drinking himself stupid and he has smoked for likely 4 decades. The guy has always been a jerk and a horrible husband and father... BUT nobody deserves to be going through the hell he is today.

Prayers for my sil and the two kids (both adults) in dealing with this situation. The way my wife painted it there isn't much they can do for Roger. Those that remember my niece Makayla this is her dad.

Thanks

bustasinclair
07-14-2014, 09:24 AM
Those that are willing to throw up prayers please pray for my bil Roger and more so his family. My wife just called and said they found cancer in his upper chest or throat (pretty sketchy at the moment) and whatever it is they found it in several lymph nodes as well. It sounds pretty bad at the moment.

Now Roger has NEVER taken care of himself. He is an invalid from years of daily drinking himself stupid and he has smoked for likely 4 decades. The guy has always been a jerk and a horrible husband and father... BUT nobody deserves to be going through the hell he is today.

Prayers for my sil and the two kids (both adults) in dealing with this situation. The way my wife painted it there isn't much they can do for Roger. Those that remember my niece Makayla this is her dad.

Thanks

Sorry to hear that, Roy. I'm not a prayer warrior myself, but you and your niece will be in my thoughts.

Old-Time-Lifter
07-14-2014, 09:42 AM
Sorry to hear that, Roy. I'm not a prayer warrior myself, but you and your niece will be in my thoughts.

Thanks Matt. Much appreciated.

GreenWave1
07-14-2014, 09:50 AM
I'll keep them in my prayers. Good luck.

Phattso
07-14-2014, 09:51 AM
Very sorry to hear. Prayers for him and family.

Old-Time-Lifter
07-14-2014, 09:57 AM
I'll keep them in my prayers. Good luck.

Very sorry to hear. Prayers for him and family.

Thanks, much appreciated.

SIL just texted me that she is going to come into work today after lunch. So I'll know more later.

beachguy498
07-14-2014, 10:48 AM
The new "c" word is cancer... I wish everyone involved all the best.

Wayne Evans
07-14-2014, 10:49 AM
sil and the two kids (both adults) in dealing with this situation. Thanks

Sorry to hear about the BIL.
I can relate....my wife had cancer and has (fortunately) been in remission for many years.

I'll hope that that all family members can stay tough through the emotional roller coaster of grief and uncertainty.

Sincerely.....

Old-Time-Lifter
07-14-2014, 02:25 PM
Sounds like lung cancer and it has apparently gone to several lymph nodes.

He's having more tests tomorrow to nail it down but his lung has collapsed as a result of whatever the growth is.

Old-Time-Lifter
07-14-2014, 02:26 PM

Sorry to hear about the BIL.
I can relate....my wife had cancer and has (fortunately) been in remission for many years.

I'll hope that that all family members can stay tough through the emotional roller coaster of grief and uncertainty.

Sincerely.....

so-tex
07-14-2014, 02:35 PM
Man, cancer sux. Prayers ascending Roy.

Old-Time-Lifter
07-14-2014, 03:26 PM

Man, cancer sux. Prayers ascending Roy.
http://media.giphy.com/media/vRD9d4wYnS9na/giphy.gif
Yeah, I feel bad for the family.

Talking to the sil I said well it's no real surprise considering he's been smoking for over 40 years, she is like most people who smoke don't get cancer so I never thought he would... I was just like... say what??? Smoking is like signing up for cancer in the future. Sure "a few" get away with it but it is the vast minority that get through.

danap3681
07-14-2014, 04:14 PM
Prayers for your BIL and the family!

http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s513/danap3681/untitled-2.png (http://s1055.photobucket.com/user/danap3681/media/untitled-2.png.html)

urmom603
07-14-2014, 04:21 PM

Thanks

I'm so sorry... When I was younger I had Lemphoma in my leg.. and despite being young it was extremely hard and still effects my life. I Can't imagine what your going through.. but I am able to have some empathy. I'm not extremely religious but I'll send up a few prayers. I hope he gets through it <3 I'm here for support always.

Old-Time-Lifter
07-14-2014, 04:30 PM
Prayers for your BIL and the family!

http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s513/danap3681/untitled-2.png (http://s1055.photobucket.com/user/danap3681/media/untitled-2.png.html)

Indeed it does....

I'm so sorry... When I was younger I had Lemphoma in my leg.. and despite being young it was extremely hard and still effects my life. I Can't imagine what your going through.. but I am able to have some empathy. I'm not extremely religious but I'll send up a few prayers. I hope he gets through it <3 I'm here for support always.

Wow, and you're still very young. Glad you're well now.

And now you're out of the red as well. ;)

djflex
07-14-2014, 05:27 PM
Sent, best wishes to all

RobRocks
07-14-2014, 05:33 PM
Hope your brother in law will get better,sending positive thoughts to you.take good care

cowboybiker
07-14-2014, 05:38 PM
Prayers incoming.

olypowerful
07-14-2014, 06:02 PM

Thanks

Bro, thoughts go out to you and your family, be there for those who matter. Best wishes

Oceanside
07-14-2014, 06:51 PM

indeed..

X2 !

Old-Time-Lifter
07-14-2014, 06:53 PM
Thanks all, again much appreciated.

GuyJin
07-14-2014, 07:16 PM
What BusterS said, Roy. I don't do the prayer thing and never have, but you're a decent guy and you've often spoken in glowing terms about your niece, so there it is. I can only hope that the pain can be minimized. I watched my father go from lung cancer and it was not a pretty sight. Stay strong, and best wishes to your BIL and his family.

Fishman15
07-14-2014, 07:54 PM

Thanks

Prayers to your family OTL...

beachguy498
07-15-2014, 05:08 AM
Well, you see someone with poor habits, drinking to excess, smoking and you're not surprised when they come down with cancer. My wife, never sick a day in her life, in perfect health, looked 10 years younger then her real age... and she dies of cancer. It sure is one fickle disease. And it takes a little part of everyone else with it as well, not just the person that has it.

StressMonkey
07-15-2014, 06:54 AM
Very sorry to hear that OTL

Well, you see someone with poor habits, drinking to excess, smoking and you're not surprised when they come down with cancer. My wife, never sick a day in her life, in perfect health, looked 10 years younger then her real age... and she dies of cancer. It sure is one fickle disease. And it takes a little part of everyone else with it as well, not just the person that has it.

Very true

whatevergirl
07-15-2014, 08:17 AM
Keeping him and his family in my thoughts, hopefully he will be able to beat it. Cancer sucks. I long for the day when it is no longer a worry. Someday maybe!
Sorry he's suffering. :(

Old-Time-Lifter
07-15-2014, 08:55 AM
Thanks all, prayers for his family much appreciated.

Keeping him and his family in my thoughts, hopefully he will be able to beat it. Cancer sucks. I long for the day when it is no longer a worry. Someday maybe!
Sorry he's suffering. :(

I would love to see cancer cured. I don't personally see much hope for Roger though, and if I was him I'd refuse all treatment. The guy can barely walk (has to use a cane and even then he's slower than my 88 yo mil), can't see, can't hear, has little mental capacity (I doubt he grasps what is going on actually, he keeps asking his wife where his pickup is that he hasn't had for over 10 years) and just sits in a chair and smokes. He can't even watch tv as his eyes are shot. Alcoholism screws up a lot more than just your liver.

But no matter his kids are broken up over it all and that's the tough part to me.

ajdahlheimer
07-15-2014, 09:10 AM
Alcoholism screws up a lot more than just your liver.

Yep. As does smoking. That's why a lot of smokers who say "I won't get lung cancer" still are probably going to get things like esophageal cancer, emphysema, and heart disease--if they happen to avoid lung cancer. Something like COPD can actually show up long after a long-term smoker quits as well.

whatevergirl
07-15-2014, 09:24 AM
Thanks all, prayers for his family much appreciated.

I would love to see cancer cured. I don't personally see much hope for Roger though, and if I was him I'd refuse all treatment. The guy can barely walk (has to use a cane and even then he's slower than my 88 yo mil), can't see, can't hear, has little mental capacity (I doubt he grasps what is going on actually, he keeps asking his wife where his pickup is that he hasn't had for over 10 years) and just sits in a chair and smokes. He can't even watch tv as his eyes are shot. Alcoholism screws up a lot more than just your liver.

But no matter his kids are broken up over it all and that's the tough part to me.

Alcohol abuse caused all of this? Or most of it? Ugh. How tragic. Doubly sad is that he felt the only way to perhaps deal with stress and such in his life, was through alcohol. May his family find strength during this tough time.

Old-Time-Lifter
07-15-2014, 09:27 AM
Alcohol abuse caused all of this? Or most of it? Ugh. How tragic. Doubly sad is that he felt the only way to perhaps deal with stress and such in his life, was through alcohol. May his family find strength during this tough time.

Alcohol pickled his brain. There's a guy at the gym who is in a wheelchair and speaks with a slur all due to brain damage from drinking.

He was a drunk and that caused stress for him not the other way around. He was a welder and made pretty good money at one time.

NorwichGrad
07-15-2014, 09:46 AM
Sorry to hear, Roy.

He will be in my prayers.

beachguy498
07-15-2014, 01:02 PM
Alcohol pickled his brain. There's a guy at the gym who is in a wheelchair and speaks with a slur all due to brain damage from drinking.

He was a drunk and that caused stress for him not the other way around. He was a welder and made pretty good money at one time.

I worked with a couple of guys like that. One, his nick name was actually Alky and he answered to it. He was on a drill press job before lunch, he goes out to lunch. He comes back 3 days later AFTER lunch time and goes back to his drill press job, which was long since finished by someone else. A wonder they kept him around, but he did get sober.

The other guy worked in the stock room.. he got sober too but he had this punch-drunkness to him. He had zero recollection of anything from his boozing days, which is a good thing in his case. They kept him on too, but you could tell he had a couple of dead cylinders.

ajdahlheimer
07-15-2014, 01:13 PM
Yeah, my uncle has pretty much been drunk everyday of his life for the last 45 years (he's 63 now). Heavy smoker too. One of the best damn welders you'll meet though. He's retired now but usually could hold a welding job AND do a lot of side-welding work out of his garage--despite his alcoholism. What he could NOT hold onto was things like friends and good relationships with his kids though.........

beachguy498
07-16-2014, 04:51 AM
Yeah, my uncle has pretty much been drunk everyday of his life for the last 45 years (he's 63 now). Heavy smoker too. One of the best damn welders you'll meet though. He's retired now but usually could hold a welding job AND do a lot of side-welding work out of his garage--despite his alcoholism. What he could NOT hold onto was things like friends and good relationships with his kids though.........

That sort of thing used to run rampant in the trades, carpentry, welding, machining, sheet metal and car workers. These guys were total rock stars on the job, legendary perhaps. But out of work, everything was just a shambles.

ajdahlheimer
07-16-2014, 06:14 AM
That sort of thing used to run rampant in the trades, carpentry, welding, machining, sheet metal and car workers. These guys were total rock stars on the job, legendary perhaps. But out of work, everything was just a shambles.

Yeah, after my uncle got divorced (in his 30's)--he bought the house that is literally across the street from his favorite watering hole (and has lived there for 30+ years now). He would do welding jobs out of his garage during the day (while pounding beers) and then head over to the bar at night for cocktails. That was his daily routine. Weekends he would fish (all day/night drinking activity). Especially ice fishing. I think the only reason the guy is still alive is good genes (his dad is still alive at 99 years old and he was a smoker/alchy until his 50's when he quit everything) and his second wife is an extremely good cook (so unlike most alchys who really don't eat or just eat crap, he eats home-cooked meals and nothing else).

Old-Time-Lifter
07-16-2014, 06:32 AM
Well they postponed the tests until today so hopefully they'll figure out just what can or can't be done for him soon. The waiting has been very hard on the family.

Thanks all for your prayers and well wishes.

Cancer is really the worst and even though I confess to never liking the guy I hate that his family is suffering. But at the same time he's made them all suffer for years and here's his final volley of suffering being fired at them.

beachguy498
07-16-2014, 10:22 AM
Well they postponed the tests until today so hopefully they'll figure out just what can or can't be done for him soon. The waiting has been very hard on the family.

Thanks all for your prayers and well wishes.

Cancer is really the worst and even though I confess to never liking the guy I hate that his family is suffering. But at the same time he's made them all suffer for years and here's his final volley of suffering being fired at them.

That's how we felt when my step mother was on the way out. All the crap she laid on us over the years and still sucking the life out of everyone at the end. Greatly irked me to have to shell out $500 to get my kids suits and chip in for flowers. It raised phoniness to a new height to do something that we did not feel in our hearts.

Old-Time-Lifter
07-16-2014, 12:42 PM
That's how we felt when my step mother was on the way out. All the crap she laid on us over the years and still sucking the life out of everyone at the end. Greatly irked me to have to shell out $500 to get my kids suits and chip in for flowers. It raised phoniness to a new height to do something that we did not feel in our hearts.

Sorry to hear that. Family dynamics can really suck sometimes....

I just got a text from my wife saying it's inoperable.

Sounds like the Dr is telling them that he's likely too feeble to mess with chemo as it could kill him anyways.

It's all bad, but exactly what I expected to hear.

Dr said he has 6 to 24 months. I'd be surprised if he made it much over 6 months, the guy is a toothpick with no reserves to fall back on.

ajdahlheimer
07-16-2014, 12:43 PM
I just got a text from my wife saying it's inoperable.

Prognosis? Are we talking days, weeks, months?

Old-Time-Lifter
07-16-2014, 01:04 PM
Prognosis? Are we talking days, weeks, months?

6 to 24 months. Again I'd be surprised if he made it to 6 months.

The problem is that my sil will be overwhelmed now trying to care for him as he gets even weaker. If I were him I'd go the route of the Sioux and go out on a ridge and sing my death song (ala little big man for those who are familiar). No way would I make my family go through the agony of waiting for me to decay and die.

Guinea-pig
07-16-2014, 09:02 PM
Our prayers are with you during this difficult time Sir.

beachguy498
07-17-2014, 07:32 AM

The problem is that my sil will be overwhelmed now trying to care for him as he gets even weaker. If I were him I'd go the route of the Sioux and go out on a ridge and sing my death song (ala little big man for those who are familiar). No way would I make my family go through the agony of waiting for me to decay and die.

I sort of doubt he'd go a couple of months at best from what you say.

Home care on that level, I do not recommend it. At the first opportunity where it gets to be overwhelming, she should have him taken to the ER by ambulance. It broke my heart to do it with my wife, but it was the best option for everyone. Most hospitals have a palliative-care ward and the care is excellent over general hospital care.

Rob

FlaIronMind
07-17-2014, 07:39 AM
Prayers ascending.

Old-Time-Lifter
07-17-2014, 07:54 AM
I sort of doubt he'd go a couple of months at best from what you say.

Home care on that level, I do not recommend it. At the first opportunity where it gets to be overwhelming, she should have him taken to the ER by ambulance. It broke my heart to do it with my wife, but it was the best option for everyone. Most hospitals have a palliative-care ward and the care is excellent over general hospital care.

Rob

I'll mention that to the sil. Once again so sad that you've had to have gone through this with your wife. Cancer is the worst.

He's chronically depressed already (and with valid reason) so I'd think minus a will to live he'll go more towards the lower end. Humans do have a capacity to keep fighting or on the other side to give up and will themselves to just die.

Prayers ascending.

Thanks, very much appreciated.

beachguy498
07-17-2014, 10:26 AM
I'll mention that to the sil. Once again so sad that you've had to have gone through this with your wife. Cancer is the worst.

He's chronically depressed already (and with valid reason) so I'd think minus a will to live he'll go more towards the lower end. Humans do have a capacity to keep fighting or on the other side to give up and will themselves to just die.

Thanks, very much appreciated.

Been exactly 34 days, 6 hours and 5 minutes since Barbara died... I just may never get over the loss of her. She was that good to everyone.

Definitely talk things over with your SIL on the side. It will eventually become impossible to take care of someone with terminal cancer at home and she should know that. She shouldn't be afriad to trow in the towel at some point and she shouldn't feel bad about it.

JOHN GARGANI
07-17-2014, 10:38 AM
geez, ROY, you surely don't paint a good picture of this guy, even before the cancer.....hope everyone handles it as best as they can....

Old-Time-Lifter
07-17-2014, 12:48 PM
geez, ROY, you surely don't paint a good picture of this guy, even before the cancer.....hope everyone handles it as best as they can....

His health has been tenuous for years now. It doesn't sound like they're going to pursue any treatment and are just going to deal with any pain. Right now he says he is not in much pain.

The sil said yesterday he knew what was going on more or less (he knew he was dying) but when she talked to him this morning he really didn't understand why he was in the hospital. If he has anything going for him it is that from one day to the next he forgets pretty much anything that has happened in the last 10 or so years. He remembers stuff from years ago but anything recent slips away for the most part over the period of several hours.

Hard to be depressed about dying if you forget that you're dying.

But to be honest John as my sister the pyschologist and ex-nun would say "he's a waste of good oxygen"... BUT as rotten as he maybe he is one of God's children and deserves to be cared for as much as they can. It looks like though in the end the sil will be forced into bankruptcy over it as they don't have anything now and her deductible on ObamaCare is $11,000 which she doesn't have.

beachguy498
07-17-2014, 01:17 PM
His health has been tenuous for years now. It doesn't sound like they're going to pursue any treatment and are just going to deal with any pain. Right now he says he is not in much pain.

The sil said yesterday he knew what was going on more or less (he knew he was dying) but when she talked to him this morning he really didn't understand why he was in the hospital. If he has anything going for him it is that from one day to the next he forgets pretty much anything that has happened in the last 10 or so years. He remembers stuff from years ago but anything recent slips away for the most part over the period of several hours.

Hard to be depressed about dying if you forget that you're dying.

But to be honest John as my sister the pyschologist and ex-nun would say "he's a waste of good oxygen"... BUT as rotten as he maybe he is one of God's children and deserves to be cared for as much as they can. It looks like though in the end the sil will be forced into bankruptcy over it as they don't have anything now and her deductible on ObamaCare is $11,000 which she doesn't have.

Gotta be blessing to be semi out of it with end-stage cancer. It all depends on how fast the cancer progresses, some are slow so even the sickest hang in for a long time. If he's still working somewhere, have your SIL apply for SSDI right now. Also LTD if he has it from work. The process is the same for both, they both want to see the same documents. SSDI you can fill out and apply online. They'll send a denial letter since they don't have the back up yet.

Anything like a 401K or IRA, tap into it now. I was fortunate that my car accident case from 2011 settled in late December of 2013, so we were able to pay all the deductibles ($7000) for Barbara. Prior to her going to her last hospital stay and hospice, her 2013 tab was $204,000 by mid May.

Old-Time-Lifter
07-17-2014, 01:41 PM
Gotta be blessing to be semi out of it with end-stage cancer. It all depends on how fast the cancer progresses, some are slow so even the sickest hang in for a long time. If he's still working somewhere, have your SIL apply for SSDI right now. Also LTD if he has it from work. The process is the same for both, they both want to see the same documents. SSDI you can fill out and apply online. They'll send a denial letter since they don't have the back up yet.

Anything like a 401K or IRA, tap into it now. I was fortunate that my car accident case from 2011 settled in late December of 2013, so we were able to pay all the deductibles ($7000) for Barbara. Prior to her going to her last hospital stay and hospice, her 2013 tab was $204,000 by mid May.

He hasn't worked for years. He went from welding to buying a dump truck, he got busted for being drunk on his butt driving the truck one day and lost his license. Just what you want a drunk driving a dump truck....

They've tried to get disability for him but have always been denied and none of the disability attorneys in town will take his case. She's talked to them all and all refused to even take the case. I don't know exactly what the problem is with it I assume there is something she isn't telling the rest of us but has to tell the lawyers. Either that or being disabled because you drank yourself half to death doesn't work for SS. She mentioned today that she's going to try and talk to an attorney again in light of the cancer.

She is good at not telling the whole or real story about stuff.

beachguy498
07-17-2014, 07:50 PM
He hasn't worked for years. He went from welding to buying a dump truck, he got busted for being drunk on his butt driving the truck one day and lost his license. Just what you want a drunk driving a dump truck....

They've tried to get disability for him but have always been denied and none of the disability attorneys in town will take his case. She's talked to them all and all refused to even take the case. I don't know exactly what the problem is with it I assume there is something she isn't telling the rest of us but has to tell the lawyers. Either that or being disabled because you drank yourself half to death doesn't work for SS. She mentioned today that she's going to try and talk to an attorney again in light of the cancer.

She is good at not telling the whole or real story about stuff.

With advanced cancer, you don't need a lawyer. You need the doctor to draft up a letter saying what's what, pretty standard. We had a social worker at her oncologist do that for us. You may have to attach a page with doctors that he's seeing and medications, if any. Its worth a shot to talk to a lawyer, but they only take your money in the end.

Still pretty bad when one selfish person drags the rest of the family down the toilet with him. Your SIL should be talking to lawyers about bankruptcy protection more than anything.

Old-Time-Lifter
07-17-2014, 09:44 PM
With advanced cancer, you don't need a lawyer. You need the doctor to draft up a letter saying what's what, pretty standard. We had a social worker at her oncologist do that for us. You may have to attach a page with doctors that he's seeing and medications, if any. Its worth a shot to talk to a lawyer, but they only take your money in the end.

Still pretty bad when one selfish person drags the rest of the family down the toilet with him. Your SIL should be talking to lawyers about bankruptcy protection more than anything.

Good to know, I'll mention that she should ask about that.

beachguy498
07-18-2014, 08:32 AM
Good to know, I'll mention that she should ask about that.

Srsly... good luck to everyone. Bad enough dealing with the cancer itself, she has to look at protecting herself down the road. I was fortunate enough to have the resources to weather the storm.

Old-Time-Lifter
07-18-2014, 11:10 AM
Srsly... good luck to everyone. Bad enough dealing with the cancer itself, she has to look at protecting herself down the road. I was fortunate enough to have the resources to weather the storm.

I guess she has already hit her deductible. He's been in the hospital for 6 days and with the tests she's over 11 grand.

The Drs wanted to send him to a Nursing Home which they were telling her would be covered entirely by insurance. The Drs are worried about his very limited cognitive function. She pitched a fit and they are letting her take him home in the morning.

I don't understand her at all............ what's he going to do but sit in a chair or lay in bed. At a nursing home maybe the Drs could figure out something to help his cognitive deficiencies.

ajdahlheimer
07-18-2014, 11:54 AM
I don't understand her at all............ what's he going to do but sit in a chair or lay in bed. At a nursing home maybe the Drs could figure out something to help his cognitive deficiencies.

She might be afraid that he won't last in a nursing home. A co-worker of mine had to put his mom in a nursing home a couple years ago because she had some dementia and his dad who was 75 just couldn't take care of her by himself anymore. I remember it was a big ordeal moving her in and whatnot (he missed a lot of work), but the saddest thing was she died within a month of moving in there. And she didn't have any terminal diseases or anything. She just didn't have her husband there to make sure she ate, drank, moved around, etc. (the things necessary to stay alive). I remember my co-worker just being devastated that he put her in there afterwards (even though the death could be viewed as a blessing because her dementia was just going to get worse and worse over time).

Frnkd
07-18-2014, 12:51 PM

Please dont get me wrong but this situation really brings out the subject of end-of-life decisions. I watched my mother die of cancer.
I picture myself having a celebration of life gathering or announce a date of my choice, anyone who wants to make amends, say their goodbyes, or whatever thoughts they have for their own being to move on in their life after my death can have an opportunity. It would not be a sad event but just a fact-of-life process.
Hospice can be a nice alternative, however that in itself is a waiting game.
If this situation was with an animal, taking it out of its misery would be the humane thing to do. I watched my dog "go to sleep" it was really peaceful and painless. In my mind I thought 'no more suffering" and that was solace for me, loved that dog. Why cant it be a choice for humans, those that are suffering with illness like cancer and its at a stage that nothing can be done.
Waiting for that "miracle" is not a reason to die suffering. I like to look like I look now, not emaciated and gaunt, I want people to remember me as who I was alive and well. Not like a near death "skeleton".

Your BIL is in my thoughts.

beachguy498
07-18-2014, 05:45 PM
I guess she has already hit her deductible. He's been in the hospital for 6 days and with the tests she's over 11 grand.

The Drs wanted to send him to a Nursing Home which they were telling her would be covered entirely by insurance. The Drs are worried about his very limited cognitive function. She pitched a fit and they are letting her take him home in the morning.

Nursing homes just have nurses... they may have one doctor on staff, but anything that comes up that they can't handle, its off to the nearest ER. I saw this with my dad and step mother. They get shipped off then the nursing home calls us right after. Aside from handing out medications, the care level at the nursing home is very basic.

Then again, if his condition is stable enough where he doesn't need medical care 24/7, the nursing home may be a viable option. If his condition becomes more dire, hospice may be an eventual answer. Your SIL really should think twice about taking him home, just my 2.

beachguy498
07-18-2014, 05:52 PM
She might be afraid that he won't last in a nursing home. A co-worker of mine had to put his mom in a nursing home a couple years ago because she had some dementia and his dad who was 75 just couldn't take care of her by himself anymore. I remember it was a big ordeal moving her in and whatnot (he missed a lot of work), but the saddest thing was she died within a month of moving in there. And she didn't have any terminal diseases or anything. She just didn't have her husband there to make sure she ate, drank, moved around, etc. (the things necessary to stay alive). I remember my co-worker just being devastated that he put her in there afterwards (even though the death could be viewed as a blessing because her dementia was just going to get worse and worse over time).

Any time you have a family member in a nursing home, someone has to be there on a regular basis to look into the patient's care. With my dad, we all took turns going to see him. My sister was unemployed at the time so she showed up a lot, so did my brother who worked close by. The place my dad was in was very good about getting him up in the morning and made sure he was dressed and a lot more. The aides really took care of them.

It really is one of the toughest decisions you will have to make for a loved one, be it a nursing home or hospice. It truly broke my heart to have to put my wife there, but it was really the only choice that we had.

Old-Time-Lifter
07-18-2014, 06:11 PM
She's taking him home and is determined to do so.

A test came back today saying it's in his liver too. Not a surprise given the drinking but that would seem to me to shorten the time he has left.

beachguy498
07-19-2014, 05:14 AM
She's taking him home and is determined to do so.

A test came back today saying it's in his liver too. Not a surprise given the drinking but that would seem to me to shorten the time he has left.

Well, she can always change her mind. See if she can get the number of a social worker at the hospital, just in case. Those people are very helpful and can outline the options better than anyone.

Liver cancer can move fast or slow, depending on how aggressive it is.

Old-Time-Lifter
07-19-2014, 06:23 AM
Well, she can always change her mind. See if she can get the number of a social worker at the hospital, just in case. Those people are very helpful and can outline the options better than anyone.

Liver cancer can move fast or slow, depending on how aggressive it is.

She is supposed to be talking to another social worker there. It turns out that she knows this lady from their kids being friends.

beachguy498
07-19-2014, 01:50 PM
She is supposed to be talking to another social worker there. It turns out that she knows this lady from their kids being friends.

Then she should have the best advice available. Taking it is another story. The social workers were good with my wife's hospital and hospice stays. We ran into something at her 1st hospital stay where I asked to speak with a patient-advocate. They had 6 people to see us (tripping over each other) within 5 minutes. Apparently that hospital has a bad reputation that they're trying to remedy.

Old-Time-Lifter
07-19-2014, 02:05 PM
Then she should have the best advice available. Taking it is another story. The social workers were good with my wife's hospital and hospice stays. We ran into something at her 1st hospital stay where I asked to speak with a patient-advocate. They had 6 people to see us (tripping over each other) within 5 minutes. Apparently that hospital has a bad reputation that they're trying to remedy.

Yeah, one of the social workers was already trying to talk her into selling her house. Which I do not understand why she'd want to do that it's one of the few things she might end up with after bankruptcy. I think that person was actually looking out for the hospital and not her.

beachguy498
07-19-2014, 06:13 PM
Yeah, one of the social workers was already trying to talk her into selling her house. Which I do not understand why she'd want to do that it's one of the few things she might end up with after bankruptcy. I think that person was actually looking out for the hospital and not her.

Maybe the social worker was looking for a deal on a house? If the house has considerable equity in it, its worth hanging onto. She should talk to a lawyer, but you say the Obamacare deductible is $11k, maybe she could get that and some other money to tide her over with a refi.

Old-Time-Lifter
07-19-2014, 07:43 PM
Maybe the social worker was looking for a deal on a house? If the house has considerable equity in it, its worth hanging onto. She should talk to a lawyer, but you say the Obamacare deductible is $11k, maybe she could get that and some other money to tide her over with a refi.

I doubt it, she has garnishments and levies on her from other bills. I am sure the house is mortgaged to the hilt already.

She'll just end up going bankrupt at the end of the day and have to try and hold onto the house.

It's not pretty anyway you slice it up.

beachguy498
07-20-2014, 05:30 AM
I doubt it, she has garnishments and levies on her from other bills. I am sure the house is mortgaged to the hilt already.

She'll just end up going bankrupt at the end of the day and have to try and hold onto the house.

It's not pretty anyway you slice it up.

I'll say, she just has to make the best of a bad situation. Pretty bad to be fighting 2 wars at once, the cancer and the house. I wish her and everyone all the luck in the world.

dbx
07-20-2014, 10:08 AM

Ditto.

Old-Time-Lifter
07-28-2014, 12:07 PM
SIL is getting pretty nasty about folks not coming to see my BIL. She's especially mad at my wife (I did go over to check on him the other day) but that's just crazy. My wife has been on record for their entire marriage as hating the guy and telling her sister to leave his arse. Why in the world would she want to go see him now? He's being even nastier than he's ever been and she'd just end up telling him off again. My wife is a wonderful person but she does not sugar coat anything so if she thinks you're an arse she will flat out tell you so and if you mess up she will not forgive you. Her Dad was a screw up among other things and she never forgave him and pretty much refused to even be around him, so I don't understand why my SIL thinks my wife would ever go see the BIL who made my FIL look like a gentleman.

SIL is mad that all the people the BIL has been nasty to through the years aren't coming to see him. Well he isn't calling them and apologizing either....

I'm all for grace and I've personally extended it to the guy but one shouldn't be surprised that if you've been an nasty drunk arse your entire life that nobody is going to feel compelled to kiss your butt just because you're dying.

You reap what you sow in life...

beachguy498
07-28-2014, 01:03 PM
I could see things going that way for someone who was not that popular over the years. When my step mother made it to the nursing home (lasted 6 weeks..) I dropped off her clothes at the front desk and didn't stop to see her, someone ratted me out later not knowing she was mad. I was there only a few times in that time frame. My wife stopped off a few times a week on her way home from work. My sister took my dad to see her quite often. The rest of us were pretty fed up with her over the years. I did request a priest to read her last rites the last time I saw her, she looked like she was going any second.

My wife had an amazing amount of people to see her at home, in the hospital and at hospice. The staff always said she must have been very special, and she was. She was a 2nd mother to many kids in the family and was adored by everyone she worked with and in her circle of friends. It was sad in hospice. I would go past many rooms and see just the patient there... absolutely zero visitors for days. But they had a real good turnover there, nobody got out alive that I saw.

latebloomingmom
07-28-2014, 03:32 PM
SIL is getting pretty nasty about folks not coming to see my BIL. She's especially mad at my wife (I did go over to check on him the other day) but that's just crazy. My wife has been on record for their entire marriage as hating the guy and telling her sister to leave his arse. Why in the world would she want to go see him now? He's being even nastier than he's ever been and she'd just end up telling him off again. My wife is a wonderful person but she does not sugar coat anything so if she thinks you're an arse she will flat out tell you so and if you mess up she will not forgive you. Her Dad was a screw up among other things and she never forgave him and pretty much refused to even be around him, so I don't understand why my SIL thinks my wife would ever go see the BIL who made my FIL look like a gentleman.

SIL is mad that all the people the BIL has been nasty to through the years aren't coming to see him. Well he isn't calling them and apologizing either....

I'm all for grace and I've personally extended it to the guy but one shouldn't be surprised that if you've been an nasty drunk arse your entire life that nobody is going to feel compelled to kiss your butt just because you're dying.

You reap what you sow in life...
being charitable and doing the right thing
does not mean sitting there and taking abuse that some a** hole feels like hurling at ya
it is sad that he has cancer but I dont blame your wife one bit for not wanting to put up with that

Nikonguy
07-28-2014, 05:47 PM
Thoughts and prayers for your extended family Roy.

FitnessFan76
07-28-2014, 05:49 PM
Good luck to your brother in law battling this damned disease - God bless.

Big_Sky_Guy
07-28-2014, 07:01 PM
Continued prayers

GuyJin
07-28-2014, 08:06 PM
Roy, sorry to hear about all the infighting going on, but kudos to your wife for sticking to her guns. Had the same thing happen over here. My MIL's brother--a real scumbag, by the way--was on his way out, he used everyone his entire life, and his wife--another loser--kept begging us all to see him. Oh, and bring money, by the way.

When he passed, my MIL didn't go to the funeral. Neither did her two sisters. Now, my MIL is a lovely lady, and next to my own mother, God rest her soul, is the kindest person around. Giving and caring, and she's accepted me as one of her own as I've accepted her as my own mother. That's how deeply I feel about her and my FIL, too. Other people questioned her decision, but I didn't. If someone acts like a jerk their entire life, then illness doesn't automatically make 'em a saint, not in my eyes.

Hopefully, things will sort themselves out for you. Be well and take care.

Old-Time-Lifter
07-28-2014, 10:29 PM
Roy, sorry to hear about all the infighting going on, but kudos to your wife for sticking to her guns. Had the same thing happen over here. My MIL's brother--a real scumbag, by the way--was on his way out, he used everyone his entire life, and his wife--another loser--kept begging us all to see him. Oh, and bring money, by the way.

When he passed, my MIL didn't go to the funeral. Neither did her two sisters. Now, my MIL is a lovely lady, and next to my own mother, God rest her soul, is the kindest person around. Giving and caring, and she's accepted me as one of her own as I've accepted her as my own mother. That's how deeply I feel about her and my FIL, too. Other people questioned her decision, but I didn't. If someone acts like a jerk their entire life, then illness doesn't automatically make 'em a saint, not in my eyes.

Hopefully, things will sort themselves out for you. Be well and take care.

Well I'm certain my wife will go to the funeral. But funerals are not for the dead they are for those left behind. My wife did go up to the hospital and sit with her sister out in the waiting room but wouldn't go into see the BIL.

You go to a funeral to console the survivors who may have loved the departed no matter how misguided that love may be.

beachguy498
07-29-2014, 05:23 AM
Well I'm certain my wife will go to the funeral. But funerals are not for the dead they are for those left behind. My wife did go up to the hospital and sit with her sister out in the waiting room but wouldn't go into see the BIL.

You go to a funeral to console the survivors who may have loved the departed no matter how misguided that love may be.

A lot of weird family-dynamics come into play when someone is seriously ill. I've seen rock-steady people fall apart, I've seen other lesser-thought-of family members really step up to make a big positive difference. There are people who have sunk to new depths. A serious illness and or death is one way of sorting out whos-who among family and friends.

In your family's case, it may be the best to take care of the main caregiver as opposed to the patient.

latebloomingmom
07-29-2014, 08:01 AM

yes funerals are to say good bye..
and I am not sure Roy if love is ever misguided
unrequited perhaps but the act of loving is such a very big part of what makes us human to begin with
to give that up is to become less than who we are
and those people who come to a funeral of someone who might have been an sob in life
have memories all their own
perhaps of when he was a younger man or a little boy
maybe playing baseball with him as a kid
or hanging out with him after work and shooting the breeze
memories we are not privileged to see
love is an act of giving
and though I agree with you that sometimes that gift is abused or neglected or unappreciated
or marked return to sender

but that does not reflect badly on the giver with good intentions
only the receiver
and perhaps the giver will learn over time to find someone who welcomes those
gifts given with open heart and open hands
with love and appreciation :)

and hopefully this giving and loving soul will not become jaded
and dried up inside
and unable to love
for if this happens
then they are no better than the walking dead
for they have given up on their humanity

so ends my sermon for today ;)

Old-Time-Lifter
10-09-2014, 08:09 AM
Looks like my b-i-l is not going to make it through the weekend according to the docs.

He just finished his chemo and radiation and they admitted him this am and told his wife he wouldn't make it past Sat at best.

I swear I have told them all along that the treatment would kill him faster than the cancer.

Dying and got to be tortured as well... I feel sorry for the poor bugger.

ajdahlheimer
10-09-2014, 08:13 AM
Sorry OTL.

GuyJin
10-09-2014, 08:25 AM
Sorry to hear about this Roy. Like him or not, it's no way for anyone to go out.

GreenWave1
10-09-2014, 08:30 AM
That's brutal. Peace to those close to him.

StressMonkey
10-09-2014, 08:39 AM
Sorry OTL.

latebloomingmom
10-09-2014, 09:32 AM
Looks like my b-i-l is not going to make it through the weekend according to the docs.

He just finished his chemo and radiation and they admitted him this am and told his wife he wouldn't make it past Sat at best.

I swear I have told them all along that the treatment would kill him faster than the cancer.

Dying and got to be tortured as well... I feel sorry for the poor bugger.sometimes family members and the person who has cancer...still want to fight for life

even if prognosis is 50/50 or worse
my mom had these numbers
and did chemo and radiation couple times
lived another four years

my mother in law's prognosis was much worse
she decided not to do chemo
this was in november and she died in december
month later

those are hard decisions to make OT
I am sorry for his family

Old-Time-Lifter
10-09-2014, 09:41 AM
sometimes family members and the person who has cancer...still want to fight for life

even if prognosis is 50/50 or worse
my mom had these numbers
and did chemo and radiation couple times
lived another four years

my mother in law's prognosis was much worse
she decided not to do chemo
this was in november and she died in december
month later

those are hard decisions to make OT
I am sorry for his family

They told them upfront the prognosis was poor and that he would not get better.

IMHO, if the Docs tell you that and you have no quality of life to begin with why torture yourself or your loved one?

Doesn't make any sense to me. I just heard they are giving him antibiotics even though they say he's not going to survive but a couple of days. Why again are you giving him antibiotics??

NorwichGrad
10-09-2014, 09:43 AM
Really sorry to hear, Roy.

Back in August 2009, I visited my Aunt in Cali. She had stage 4 colon cancer. It was heartbreaking watching a loved one go thru it. Terrible thing to have.

One Friday afternoon in September 2009 I received a call from my sister. She said Aunt only had until Sunday. I asked to speak to her. I told her how much I loved her. She could not speak on the phone. I could only hear her soft whispers. Sunday morning, I got a call from my cousin (Aunt's daughter.) She was gone.

Thoughts and prayers are with you, with your BIL, and his family.

ajdahlheimer
10-09-2014, 09:54 AM

IMHO, if the Docs tell you that and you have no quality of life to begin with why torture yourself or your loved one?

Doesn't make any sense to me. I just heard they are giving him antibiotics even though they say he's not going to survive but a couple of days. Why again are you giving him antibiotics??

Yeah, that doesn't make sense. You would think they would just be giving him meds for pain. Trying to make him as comfortable as possible given the circumstances.

latebloomingmom
10-09-2014, 09:55 AM

Doesn't make any sense to me. I just heard they are giving him antibiotics even though they say he's not going to survive but a couple of days. Why again are you giving him antibiotics??you know why they did it Roy..why they continue to do it instead of letting hospice come in

sometimes we are selfish in our love
we want to prolong life
and we ask the wrong questions
when does it stop being about fight for life
and start to be about
allowing the one you love to live their last days in dignity
and as little pain as possible

but that takes acceptance of what is about to occur

beachguy498
10-09-2014, 10:31 AM
What a way to go.... my views on chemo are that its right up there with blood-letting and the application of leeches. Barbara's initial prognosis was that she'd live 8 months with no surgery and no chemo. Well... with all that she got 7.5 months out of the deal and her last 3 were brutal with the new-and-improved chemo. But she was in pain from mid-March, so something had to be done for her.

I worked with this lady, her step father was diagnosed with some sort of advanced cancer while he was in the hospital for tests. She came in to visit him, he told her he loved her and gave her a hug. She goes home, her mother gets a call a bit later, the guy took a swan dive off a 3rd floor patio deck.

Anyway, I wish your BIL and everyone else peace. It will be over soon and nothin' left to do but pick up the pieces.

Old-Time-Lifter
10-09-2014, 10:42 AM
What a way to go.... my views on chemo are that its right up there with blood-letting and the application of leeches. Barbara's initial prognosis was that she'd live 8 months with no surgery and no chemo. Well... with all that she got 7.5 months out of the deal and her last 3 were brutal with the new-and-improved chemo. But she was in pain from mid-March, so something had to be done for her.

I worked with this lady, her step father was diagnosed with some sort of advanced cancer while he was in the hospital for tests. She came in to visit him, he told her he loved her and gave her a hug. She goes home, her mother gets a call a bit later, the guy took a swan dive off a 3rd floor patio deck.

Anyway, I wish your BIL and everyone else peace. It will be over soon and nothin' left to do but pick up the pieces.

Sorry again about your wife. I think that if I'd have been the step-father I'd have looked for a higher perch to jump from.

I'm just appalled at the way this is all shaking out.

frozensparky
10-09-2014, 11:18 AM
very sorry Roy.

Brackneyc
10-09-2014, 11:50 AM

GuyJin
10-09-2014, 04:41 PM

---

That's the medical profession, Roy. They are required to do everything possible on the very slim offchance that the patient survives. When my mother was dying, she went into a coma and the doctor on call said that they could shock her and bring her back. My sister asked why. The doctor explained that it was standard procedure to ask. My sister's reply was to let our mother die with dignity. That's what happened. She was eighty-five and lived long enough to see me married, happy, and hold her grandchildren. For her, I can only hope that it was enough.

beachguy498
10-09-2014, 08:56 PM
Sorry again about your wife. I think that if I'd have been the step-father I'd have looked for a higher perch to jump from.

I'm just appalled at the way this is all shaking out.

This girl's step father, he was dead on impact.. pressed the easy button for sure. Said boo to anyone and just did it, he was a snake though, bled this girl's mother out of a couple of houses and any $$ she had.

Oh yeah, things shake out with the outcome taking center stage, anything that gets you there is incidental. No matter what you think will help, the outcome is pre-destined and you're all along for the roller coaster ride.

beachguy498
10-09-2014, 09:01 PM
---

That's the medical profession, Roy. They are required to do everything possible on the very slim offchance that the patient survives. When my mother was dying, she went into a coma and the doctor on call said that they could shock her and bring her back. My sister asked why. The doctor explained that it was standard procedure to ask. My sister's reply was to let our mother die with dignity. That's what happened. She was eighty-five and lived long enough to see me married, happy, and hold her grandchildren. For her, I can only hope that it was enough.

The last stop before hospice is quite often palliative care. They administer fluids, any medications that the patient was getting prior to getting there. They will treat anything that comes up unless the holder of the health care proxy tells them otherwise. With Barbara, they asked for a copy of her HCP, which I had. At one point they asked if I wanted her on a respirator when she took a temporary bad turn.. she would have hated me if I did, glad it never came to that. Once you hit hospice, all of that life-extending thinking goes out the window, which is a blessing.

GuyJin
10-09-2014, 09:51 PM
The last stop before hospice is quite often palliative care. They administer fluids, any medications that the patient was getting prior to getting there. They will treat anything that comes up unless the holder of the health care proxy tells them otherwise. With Barbara, they asked for a copy of her HCP, which I had. At one point they asked if I wanted her on a respirator when she took a temporary bad turn.. she would have hated me if I did, glad it never came to that. Once you hit hospice, all of that life-extending thinking goes out the window, which is a blessing.
---

Yeah, I hear you, but my mother's case was quite different than your wife's. My mother was old, had lived through a number of mini-strokes and the last one damaged her quite badly, had the onset of Alzheimer's, and basically, her body shut down as it was tired. Her insides were worn out from life. When her mind was still clear she told me and my sister never to do anything to bring her back once she went into a coma. It sounds barbaric to do so, but that's the way hospitals work in that they give you an option. My mother would have been a vegetable had they shocked her back to life and what for, to exist? That's not life, not the way I define it.

beachguy498
10-10-2014, 08:33 AM
---

Yeah, I hear you, but my mother's case was quite different than your wife's. My mother was old, had lived through a number of mini-strokes and the last one damaged her quite badly, had the onset of Alzheimer's, and basically, her body shut down as it was tired. Her insides were worn out from life. When her mind was still clear she told me and my sister never to do anything to bring her back once she went into a coma. It sounds barbaric to do so, but that's the way hospitals work in that they give you an option. My mother would have been a vegetable had they shocked her back to life and what for, to exist? That's not life, not the way I define it.

Whoever is the resident doctor in charge of the floor, they call the shots. So they go along to provide care for the patient, rack up some $$ for themselves and the hospital along the way. But the family can stop them from taking extraordinary measures per the patient's health care proxy or the patient can also dictate that if they are able to. If a DNR is what everyone wants, it will be on the patient's chart. I've even seen it on patient's wrist bands.

Old-Time-Lifter
10-13-2014, 01:14 PM
The guy has beat the Doc's prediction. Still living but basically unchanged all weekend. I guess they did get him to eat something though which was a big deal.

GuyJin
10-13-2014, 04:06 PM
Whoever is the resident doctor in charge of the floor, they call the shots. So they go along to provide care for the patient, rack up some $$ for themselves and the hospital along the way. But the family can stop them from taking extraordinary measures per the patient's health care proxy or the patient can also dictate that if they are able to. If a DNR is what everyone wants, it will be on the patient's chart. I've even seen it on patient's wrist bands.
---

I know. My sister was there and I was not (I was still trying to get a flight home--my mother's condition went downhill very rapidly and I could not get there in time). The doctor offered to bring her back, but my sister said no and that was that.

philipj
10-13-2014, 05:50 PM
On Tuesday, wed or Thursday there is an upcomming radio show on Coast to Coast AM with Tye Bollinger which is about Natural Cures for Cancer. He is a former bodybuilding champion, who has done a lot of research on this and knows what he is talking about.

Phattso
10-13-2014, 06:06 PM
On Tuesday, wed or Thursday there is an upcomming radio show on Coast to Coast AM with Tye Bollinger which is about Natural Cures for Cancer. He is a former bodybuilding champion, who has done a lot of research on this and knows what he is talking about.

Don't you think Big Pharma would be pissed at him for discovering natural cures for cancer?

beachguy498
10-13-2014, 07:47 PM
Don't you think Big Pharma would be pissed at him for discovering natural cures for cancer?

There are some people doing better with natural cures as opposed to conventional treatments. Chemo is essentially poison, in my wife's case she took a sudden nose dive when they changed it up on her. Which from what I hear and read is not at all rare to happen. But everyone (including us) bought into the conventional treatment spiel and really thought it would help.

Phattso
10-13-2014, 07:50 PM
There are some people doing better with natural cures as opposed to conventional treatments. Chemo is essentially poison, in my wife's case she took a sudden nose dive when they changed it up on her. Which from what I hear and read is not at all rare to happen. But everyone (including us) bought into the conventional treatment spiel and really thought it would help.

Good to know. Thanks.

GuyJin
10-13-2014, 09:15 PM
---

Does he have a medical degree or has he just read a lot? I'm not discounting that the guy probably does know something, but FWIW I'd put a little more stock in a medical researcher with a degree (or two or three) who has had experience in things like these than someone "who's done a lot of research". This isn't to discount the efficacy of some natural cures. I've read cases where that's all that worked...but there've relatively few. I'm also not discounting what beachguy said. Chemo is essentially poison to the cancerous cells in the body as well as to the healthy cells. It's basically a victory through attrition. But in spite of the dislike of doctor's vending medicine and chemicals to cure what ails you, I'd rather put more faith, as it were, in a doctor than a homeopathic researcher. JMO...