PDA

View Full Version : How can anyone with a functioning brain think Babe Ruth is the GOAT? (srs)

Gerald151
07-12-2014, 02:06 AM
Super srs

Dude was playing against guys that worked desk jobs after their games.

Dan916
07-12-2014, 02:09 AM
Super srs

Dude was playing against guys that worked desk jobs after their games.

Same can be said about just about anyone who played a sport 20+ years ago. It's about how you compete against your generation, not future. Babe didn't have the facilities / money / diet / coaches / younameit that todays athletes did. But he beat the **** out of people in his era, that is what counts.

This explains it best:

_L_vq5JYQlE

an 8 year old in todays era would be a Bronze medallist in the 100m dash back in the day.

srom12
07-12-2014, 04:07 AM
We talkin' bout baseball mane

HumptyBrah
07-12-2014, 04:53 AM
I hate when people use the competition argument to credit/discredit someone's "GOAThood." How does someone's competition determine how good they are? Take Jordan and put him in the 50s and is he suddenly not as good of a basketball player?

RAdaRuggedMan
07-12-2014, 04:54 AM
Same can be said about just about anyone who played a sport 20+ years ago. It's about how you compete against your generation, not future. Babe didn't have the facilities / money / diet / coaches / younameit that todays athletes did. But he beat the **** out of people in his era, that is what counts.

This explains it best:

_L_vq5JYQlE

an 8 year old in todays era would be a Bronze medallist in the 100m dash back in the day.
Proof Jordan would have trouble maintaining a roster spot on any team today.

Reytardo
07-12-2014, 07:21 AM
Ruth smoked a cigar, drank a few beers, ate a couple hot dogs, fooked some hoe behind the bleachers and hit a home run.

YellowOnYellow
07-12-2014, 07:31 AM
Ruth smoked a cigar, drank a few beers, ate a couple hot dogs, fooked some hoe behind the bleachers and hit a home run.

Sounds like a GOAT lifestyle so he is the GOAT

yeshli2nuts
07-12-2014, 07:52 AM
Lol at anyone who doesn't think Barry Bonds was the GOAT, roids or no roids. I hate the guy, he seems like a total jackass, but anyone who doesn't think he was the greatest hitter of all time is just lying to himself.

jassako
07-12-2014, 08:58 AM
lol'ed at everyone in here who don't have the foresight to see that Mike Trout is the GOAT

CyberSheriff
07-12-2014, 10:11 AM
Lol at anyone who doesn't realize Mario Mendoza is the true GOAT.

cashinout
07-12-2014, 10:12 AM
same with people who say bill russell was a GOAT in a league with 7 other teams full of white guys who played basketball as a hobby

just lol

dantefrizzoli
07-12-2014, 10:14 AM
Sounds like it to me.

DasPhilosopher
07-12-2014, 10:17 AM
same with people who say bill russell was a GOAT in a league with 7 other teams full of white guys who played basketball as a hobby

just lol

Umad?

ShweezyBTFO
07-12-2014, 10:18 AM
lol'ed at everyone in here who don't have the foresight to see that Mike Trout is the GOAT

Trout plays in way too many hitter's paradises for him to be judged as the GOAT unless he continues to be a 40/40 threat well into his late thirties.

Let's not forget that the NL west is the most pitcher friendly division in baseball. Same reason why we must elevate Bonds' accomplishments while buffering Kershaw's.

CyberSheriff
07-12-2014, 10:21 AM
Trout plays in way too many hitter's paradises for him to be judged as the GOAT unless he continues to be a 40/40 threat well into his late thirties.

Let's not forget that the NL west is the most pitcher friendly division in baseball. Same reason why we must elevate Bonds' accomplishments while buffering Kershaw's.

So what you're saying is, Puig = GOAT

Gerald151
07-12-2014, 10:45 AM
I hate when people use the competition argument to credit/discredit someone's "GOAThood." How does someone's competition determine how good they are? Take Jordan and put him in the 50s and is he suddenly not as good of a basketball player?

How is it not a legitimate argument?

If I start a sport and my immediate competition is guys I met outside of a homeless shelter and then the sport evolves overtime into an NFL/NBA/MLB, why the fuk should I be recognized as a GOAT because I beat up on meth heads?

CyberSheriff
07-12-2014, 11:08 AM

If I start a sport and my immediate competition is guys I met outside of a homeless shelter and then the sport evolves overtime into an NFL/NBA/MLB, why the fuk should I be recognized as a GOAT because I beat up on meth heads?

This is also why having an argument on who is the "GOAT" is retarded in the first place.

Sports change over time and its stupid to compare 2 players from different eras.

Gerald151
07-12-2014, 12:11 PM
This is also why having an argument on who is the "GOAT" is retarded in the first place.

Sports change over time and its stupid to compare 2 players from different eras.
Agreed.

There should just be GOATs of certain eras.

ShweezyBTFO
07-12-2014, 01:02 PM
So what you're saying is, Puig = GOAT

Posey with a torn ACL and a concussion >>>>>>>> Puig on the most powerful horse-based anabolics in existence

Hoop_Dreams
07-12-2014, 01:15 PM
MJ in the 50's likely would've been shot by a Klan member

GOAT scumbag

Yeah because we all know Angel Stadium, Safeco, and the ****seum are known for being hitter friendly

TheMarshall
07-12-2014, 01:19 PM
Because he hit 714 home runs and went 94-46 with a 2.27 ERA.

Gerald151
07-12-2014, 02:20 PM
Because he hit 714 home runs and went 94-46 with a 2.27 ERA.

Bonds would've hit 1,428 homeruns and went 188-23 with a 1.13 ERA if he played back then

HumptyBrah
07-12-2014, 02:26 PM

Your competition has no bearing on your skill one way or the other, only how your skill is interpreted.

Just because player A played against worse competition than player B doesn't mean player A is a worse player.

Gerald151
07-12-2014, 02:31 PM
Your competition has no bearing on your skill one way or the other, only how your skill is interpreted.

Just because player A played against worse competition than player B doesn't mean player A is a worse player.

Wtf did I just read?

Try playing against 5th graders for a year and then go play against college players for a year and see if your competition has "no bearing on your skill."

Only an idiot doesn't realize how more you'll improve by playing with better competition.

And "how your skill is interpreted" is the point. Ruth's skills are interpreted to be better than they were because he played against sh*t competition.

HumptyBrah
07-12-2014, 02:34 PM
Wtf did I just read?

Try playing against 5th graders for a year and then go play against college players for a year and see if your competition has "no bearing on your skill."

Only an idiot doesn't realize how more you'll improve by playing with better completion.

And "how your skill is interpreted" is the point. Ruth's skills are interpreted to be better than they were because he played against sh*t competition.
I used the example of taking Michael Jordan, as we knew him to be, and dropping him into the 50s. By your logic, he would suddenly become a worse basketball player.

Look man I'm not arguing that Bonds is the GOAT, simply that your logic - the same logic that says Bill Russell sucked because he played against mediocre competition - is chit.

Smoker145
07-12-2014, 03:46 PM
Lol at anyone who doesn't think Barry Bonds was the GOAT, roids or no roids. I hate the guy, he seems like a total jackass, but anyone who doesn't think he was the greatest hitter of all time is just lying to himself.

Did bonds pitch in the World Series?

HumptyBrah
07-12-2014, 03:50 PM
Did bonds pitch in the World Series?
uhhh...

Negatron617
07-12-2014, 04:14 PM
this thread is retarded....questions like who is the goat can never be actually answered......these discussions never get settled....its gonna be opinion most times unless there is an undeniable other worldly player that we all can agree is the goat

such as babe ruth :D

ChalupaBatman
07-12-2014, 04:23 PM
Bonds would've hit 1,428 homeruns and went 188-23 with a 1.13 ERA if he played back then

How many would Ruth have had on steroids? And how many would Bonds have hit if he didn't. He was declining and then turned into the bionic man. 42, 40,37,34,49,73. He hit 45 home runs or more 6 times five of them were at age 35 or older.

ItsWhatIDo
07-12-2014, 04:28 PM
Everyone knows Paste is the best hitter of all time.

HumptyBrah
07-12-2014, 05:42 PM
How many would Ruth have had on steroids? And how many would Bonds have hit if he didn't. He was declining and then turned into the bionic man. 42, 40,37,34,49,73. He hit 45 home runs or more 6 times five of them were at age 35 or older.
Chit man you're right, because the pitchers Bonds was facing weren't completely juiced out of their fuking minds or anything.

And because steroids help with hand eye coordination too, right? And they also help with pitch recognition too I've heard.

ChalupaBatman
07-12-2014, 06:08 PM
Chit man you're right, because the pitchers Bonds was facing weren't completely juiced out of their fuking minds or anything.

And because steroids help with hand eye coordination too, right? And they also help with pitch recognition too I've heard.

Not disputing that. No one is. Bonds was declining and would have continued to decline without steroids. He wouldn't have touched Aaron Ruth or Mays without them not even close. On the other hand if he did them his whole career he might have 1000 who knows.

Reytardo
07-12-2014, 06:12 PM

You're wrong colonel Sanders mama is right

They didn't have all that chit he was on back then

ThaWorldIsYours
07-12-2014, 07:02 PM
We just gonna pretend like Ruth didn't play against any black, afro-caribbean or asian players either?

ShweezyBTFO
07-12-2014, 07:28 PM
Yeah because we all know Angel Stadium, Safeco, and the ****seum are known for being hitter friendly

Yankee Stadium
Cellular Field
Arlington
Camden Yards
Fenway Park
Rogers Centre

aren't hitter friendly according to this 5'9 piece of trash.

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140117152232/whatever-you-want/images/e/e7/Taylor-swift-laughing-gif-taylor-swift-30258989-500-245.gif

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/originals/85/30/5e/85305efdd72a102c6f368bc0627b695c.jpg

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/2183253/sillynbaplayers.gif

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view/128044/laugh-o.gif

adasafa
07-12-2014, 07:34 PM
This is why ultimately championships may be one of the best measures to determine greatness.

Some argue Babe Ruth only put up great numbers because he played against others that had desk jobs after the games...fair enough, but nobody else did as well against these same "part-time"/raggedy players. they all that the same chance Babe Ruth had.

Some argue Bill Russell only won because he played in a "white"/unathletic era...awesome, then why didn't anybody else take advantage of this situation and overtake Bill Russell?

Up top someone said Mike Trout only puts up good numbers because he plays in a "hitter's paradise"... so I'm guessing I should expect everyone else on his team to put up monster numbers as well?

Go back and re-watch Dan916 video up top for the best answer to this argument.

East1600plus
07-12-2014, 07:42 PM
shouldnt the goat be the best hitter and defender? i never hear about bonds playing in the field nor ruth... shouldnt the person who does both best be the goat?

broboma2012
07-12-2014, 07:49 PM

dumbest. steroid era. argument. ever.

1800_Cool_Guy
07-12-2014, 07:52 PM
In for later.

ThaWorldIsYours
07-12-2014, 08:06 PM
shouldnt the goat be the best hitter and defender? i never hear about bonds playing in the field nor ruth... shouldnt the person who does both best be the goat?

Bonds won 8 Gold Gloves. He was a very good outfielder when he was young and fast, then he got old and juiced out of his gord and couldn't move very well anymore

MurkinSeason
07-12-2014, 08:10 PM
Why would anyone with a functioning brain even give a fuk about someone who played a hundred years ago. Lol

HumptyBrah
07-12-2014, 08:11 PM
Not disputing that. No one is. Bonds was declining and would have continued to decline without steroids. He wouldn't have touched Aaron Ruth or Mays without them not even close. On the other hand if he did them his whole career he might have 1000 who knows.
Sauce?

Bonds won 8 Gold Gloves lol. He is also the founding member of the 500/500 club.

dumbest. steroid era. argument. ever.
This was an outstanding rebuttal, and I look forward to reading your paper on the topic.

Gerald151
07-12-2014, 08:24 PM
I used the example of taking Michael Jordan, as we knew him to be, and dropping him into the 50s. By your logic, he would suddenly become a worse basketball player.

Look man I'm not arguing that Bonds is the GOAT, simply that your logic - the same logic that says Bill Russell sucked because he played against mediocre competition - is chit.

Why would you drop Jordan in the 50's and make him worse? His numbers would've been even better back then.

HumptyBrah
07-12-2014, 08:27 PM
Why would you drop Jordan in the 50's and make him worse? His numbers would've been even better back then.
It's the logical extension of your "worse competition = worse talent" argument.

Ruth isn't the GOAT because he played against mediocre competition. That's your argument, right?

ThaWorldIsYours
07-12-2014, 08:39 PM

Ruth isn't the GOAT because he played against mediocre competition. That's your argument, right?

If you dropped 21 year old Jordan in the 50's and let him play there for 8 years and then brought him back to the 90's, he would not be as good as actual 8 year NBA veteran Jordan was.

21 year old Jordan in 1950 would average 70 points a game easily. He would never get any better because how are you supposed to improve playing against talentless stiffs? Iron sharpens iron. Jordan never would have become the GOAT if he didn't have to go against Larry, Magic, and the Bad Boy Pistons.

ShweezyBTFO
07-13-2014, 02:12 AM

lmfao.....notsureifsrs

Hoop_Dreams
07-13-2014, 09:02 PM
Yankee Stadium
Cellular Field
Arlington
Camden Yards
Fenway Park
Rogers Centre

aren't hitter friendly according to this 5'9 piece of trash.

Yeah bro, Trout can't be considered the GOAT because he plays 20 somethin games in those hitter's parks

Meanwhile, he plays around 100 games yearly in Angel Stadium, Safeco, and the ****seum.

ShweezyBTFO
07-13-2014, 09:23 PM
Yeah bro, Trout can't be considered the GOAT because he plays 20 somethin games in those hitter's parks

Meanwhile, he plays around 100 games yearly in Angel Stadium, Safeco, and the ****seum.

for him to be judged as the GOAT unless he continues to be a 40/40 threat

I see daddy's little ho still doesn't know how to read.

Hoop_Dreams
07-13-2014, 09:29 PM
I see daddy's little ho still doesn't know how to read.
Very convienient to leave out the first part of your post:

Trout plays in way too many hitter's paradises for him to be judged as the GOAT
-plays around 25 games yearly in "hitter's paradises" and 100 in extreme pitcher's parks.

Just take your L and let the thread die.

ShweezyBTFO
07-13-2014, 09:37 PM
Very convienient to leave out the first part of your post:

-plays around 25 games yearly in "hitter's paradises" and 100 in extreme pitcher's parks.

Just take your L and let the thread die.

I see daddy's little ho doesn't understand what the word "unless" means.

Just take your L in life and let the thread die.

FKAri
07-13-2014, 10:10 PM

Yes Michael Jordan would've been worse. MJ wouldn't have had Elgin Baylor to pattern his game after. He would've been learning from players he saw when he was growin up (potentially the 40's in your argument). He would've still had his athleticism and work ethic but he wouldn't have been as refined as his future self.

Neil4123
07-13-2014, 10:49 PM

Worst. Argument. Ever. If you put Jordan back in the 50's he would have been able to score as many ppg as he wanted, because of the lower competition level. That was an era of 6'5 post players, Jordan would have ate them for breakfast. The point that you're missing is that players today in EVERY sport are better trained, better athletes, and just flat out better players than guys who played in the earlier in the 1900's. The argument that someone isn't as good as a present day player based on lesser competition is a completely valid argument, those that say otherwise are in denial about it.

GrokTheCube
07-14-2014, 01:16 AM
It's very difficult to compare players from pre-PED to post-PED days on stats. Pitchers pitch faster, runners run faster, and players are full-time athletes are train 365/24/7.

Without traveling back in time and juicing Babe Ruth's balls off, along with giving him expert coaching and allowing him to train year-round, it's tough to say how he'd compare to the best from modern times.

AlphaQUp4This
07-14-2014, 01:59 AM

Wait..going by your logic all AL hitters hit in ''hitters paradise''. You do realize that Angels stadium, A's Colosseum and Safeco field are considered pitcher parks right?

Trout plays about 70% of his games there (81 games at home, 16 at Safeco and the Colosseum). Add in the other pitcher friendly parks the Angels play in and the NL teams they face, there's no reason why Trout should ever have a ''benefited from hitters park'' asterix next to his name.

I hope you realize that there is a stat called OPS+ which takes pitcher/hitter parks and the works into consideration when figuring out the best overall hitters in baseball. Trout has led in that two years in a row.

This.

HumptyBrah
07-14-2014, 02:05 AM
Wait..going by your logic all AL hitters hit in ''hitters paradise''. You do realize that Angels stadium, A's Colosseum and Safeco field are considered pitcher parks right?

Trout plays about 70% of his games there (81 games at home, 16 at Safeco and the Colosseum). Add in the other pitcher friendly parks the Angels play in and the NL teams they face, there's no reason why Trout should ever have a ''benefited from hitters park'' asterix next to his name.

I hope you realize that there is a stat called OPS+ which takes pitcher/hitter parks and the works into consideration when figuring out the best overall hitters in baseball. Trout has led in that two years in a row.

This.
Wait a second...are you actually trying to put forward the argument that Trout is the GOAT?

AlphaQUp4This
07-14-2014, 02:08 AM
Wait a second...are you actually trying to put forward the argument that Trout is the GOAT?
Where did you get that from? Did you just skim my post?

Read the back and forth between Shweezy and Hoop_Dreams. I'll let you know though, Trout is on pace to be a top 5 player of all time right now. Just read any in-depth Fangraphs piece on him and all the records he's breaking/the guys who compare to him at his age.

ShweezyBTFO
07-14-2014, 08:40 AM

This.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=162847801&page=1

If you're gonna be an insecure angels homer and selectively read like the Romo lover though then be my guest.