PDA

View Full Version : Dont take some of these athletes for granted

Lazlo1
07-11-2014, 10:14 PM
I feel like a lot of fans are under the impression that sports are just going to keep pumping out star players, thats not true

Lebron, Floyd, Brady, Manning, Megatron, Kobe (although he not be the same now), AP, Shady, Tiger, etc

These guys are once in a generation athletes...both genetically and skillset wise. Dont take them for granted. Enjoy watching them because watching these guys do what they do is like watching Beethoven playing the piano

Fahnestock
07-11-2014, 10:21 PM
brb putting backup rookie QB's with legends. Might as well put Tebow up there too, at least he had some NFL success.

SomeGuyHear
07-11-2014, 10:35 PM
I'm always iffy when people refer to "generations", especially when people say "once every generation". Where do you cut off the generation from where one begins and one ends? Brady and Manning are in the same generation since they played just about side by side, and with AP, Megatron, and Shady in our current one I guess, but how about those people in the middle years?

Just say they are some damn great players, but once in every generation? Seems disrespectful to the other greats that played alongside them.

Swept
07-11-2014, 10:39 PM
i feel like a lot of fans are under the impression that sports are just going to keep pumping out star players, thats not true

lebron, floyd, brady, manning, megatron, kobe (although he not be the same now), ap, shady, tiger, etc

these guys are once in a generation athletes...both genetically and skillset wise. Dont take them for granted. Enjoy watching them because watching these guys do what they do is like watching beethoven playing the piano

lmao

Lazlo1
07-11-2014, 10:40 PM
I'm always iffy when people refer to "generations", especially when people say "once every generation". Where do you cut off the generation from where one begins and one ends? Brady and Manning are in the same generation since they played just about side by side, and with AP, Megatron, and Shady in our current one I guess, but how about those people in the middle years?

Just say they are some damn great players, but once in every generation? Seems disrespectful to the other greats that played alongside them.

There's a difference between being great and being once in a generation

Lebron's dont just grow on trees. It's going to be a long time before you see someone with his genetics, size and skillset in the NBA again.

SomeGuyHear
07-11-2014, 10:48 PM
I understand if it's Lebron. I feel like it was Jordon from the late 80s to 90s, Kobe from late 90s to 00s, and Lebron is now, but I was referring more to the NFL. There are a lot of great talent in the NFL, so I personally wouldn't label once in a generation to them.

Lazlo1
07-11-2014, 10:57 PM
I understand if it's Lebron. I feel like it was Jordon from the late 80s to 90s, Kobe from late 90s to 00s, and Lebron is now, but I was referring more to the NFL. There are a lot of great talent in the NFL, so I personally wouldn't label once in a generation to them.

When was the last time the NFL saw a running back who was at dominant as Adrian Peterson? Guy runs like a gazelle yet still looks like he's chiseled out of stone. When was the last time the NFL saw a QB like Peyton Manning? He as mentally cerebral as any QB ever. He has completely and utterly changed the game of football itself in how players (QBs specifically) prepare for games.

Andrew Luck has a photographic memory and is literally a prodigy. He's critically acclaimed and heralded as the best QB prospect in 25 years.

You dont think these guys are once in a generation?

SomeGuyHear
07-11-2014, 11:06 PM
When was the last time the NFL saw a running back who was at dominant as Adrian Peterson? Guy runs like a gazelle yet still looks like he's chiseled out of stone. When was the last time the NFL saw a QB like Peyton Manning? He as mentally cerebral as any QB ever. He has completely and utterly changed the game of football itself in how players (QBs specifically) prepare for games.

Andrew Luck has a photographic memory and is literally a prodigy. He's critically acclaimed and heralded as the best QB prospect in 25 years.

You dont think these guys are once in a generation?

Well, you kinda did mention an answer to your question it in your original post. Brady is the QB like Manning, in fact, I think Brady is better, but that's just me. Shady is an excellent RB, but built differently than AP. I agree AP is on a different level in our modern time. And about Andrew Luck, I also agree he is master of his craft, and no young QB can match him now.

But I'm also curious how you define a "generation"? I already mentioned it earlier, but for sake of an example, say, Luck is playing 5-6 years from now, and just hitting his prime years, but another great talented QB comes to the league and finds his way? Where do players that get caught in the middle stand in this "generation" talk? Andrew Wiggins in projected to be the next great hit, in the middle of Lebron's career if Wiggins pans out. How will you talk generation then?

RaibeartBruis
07-11-2014, 11:09 PM
I agree brah. Too many phaggots caught up in rivalries and city/team loyalties. Gotta step back sometimes and acknowledge greatness.

Think about it.

We get to watch Kobe Bryant play. That's amazing. Very, very few people will be able to say that. We'll tell our children and grandchildren about it. Same for MJ (I vaguely remember his stint with the Wizards), LBJ, Duncan. Enjoy it now, brahs, because when they hang up their jerseys for the last time, you'll miss them.

gl0beTr0tter
07-11-2014, 11:11 PM
Lebron is a great player, but so was/is Kobe, Duncan, Shaq, Jordan, Hakeem, Bird, Magic, Kareem, etc. I agree that you should appreciate them, but you're wrong in saying sports won't continue to pump out great players. There will always be a "best player in the league", and someone will lead their team to a championship every year, unless there's a lockout.

johnnyboi123
07-11-2014, 11:12 PM
dumbest thing ive read today. There have always been and always will be elite players in every era.

Lazlo1
07-11-2014, 11:17 PM
Well, you kinda did mention an answer to your question it in your original post. Brady is the QB like Manning, in fact, I think Brady is better, but that's just me. Shady is an excellent RB, but built differently than AP. I agree AP is on a different level in our modern time. And about Andrew Luck, I also agree he is master of his craft, and no young QB can match him now.

But I'm also curious how you define a "generation"? I already mentioned it earlier, but for sake of an example, say, Luck is playing 5-6 years from now, and just hitting his prime years, but another great talented QB comes to the league and finds his way? Where do players that get caught in the middle stand in this "generation" talk? Andrew Wiggins in projected to be the next great hit, in the middle of Lebron's career if Wiggins pans out. How will you talk generation then?

20 years considering these athletes come into the league at 20-24

I'm not just talking production or statistics but style as well. Its going to be a long time before we see someone play basketball like Iverson did it although we'll see plenty of players put up his statistics and acquire his fame.

See where I'm going? There will always be stars/popular players but there are certain players who have a unique style that will be hard to find again. Andrew Wiggins might pan out but he's not 6'8 and 250 lbs of muscle like Lebron. He probably wont physically dominate like Lebron did

Lazlo1
07-11-2014, 11:18 PM
dumbest thing ive read today. There have always been and always will be elite players in every era.

Its funny, the dumbest thing I've read today was you saying "not a single fuk will be given" about the world running out of Chocolate.

johnnyboi123
07-11-2014, 11:21 PM
Its funny, the dumbest thing I've read today was you saying "not a single fuk will be given" about the world running out of Chocolate.

not a single **** will be given by me. lrn2internet

hublife
07-12-2014, 12:29 AM
ITT OP fails to realize that athletes are only improving and becoming more talented with each passing generation.

Everyone you named is great... and they will all be surpassed in the next 2 decades.

You can count on it.

smallbonesjones
07-12-2014, 12:34 AM
Don't you want to go on a ride just keep your hands inside

miscerzhatehim
07-12-2014, 12:38 AM
wait until you see seventh woods and t ferg in action in 2018

SomeGuyHear
07-12-2014, 01:21 AM
ITT OP fails to realize that athletes are only improving and becoming more talented with each passing generation.

Everyone you named is great... and they will all be surpassed in the next 2 decades.

You can count on it.

Well, people are always hung up upon players that "revolutionize" the game, and not only players that are talented and great at the game. We have Jackie Robinson that will always be remembered for changing the mlb landscape for colored people, and not necessarily for his stats. Same with Michael Jordan, although he was very dominant. I do agree he will be surpassed stat wise sometime in the future, but how the game is played, I don't see it happening in the near future.