PDA

View Full Version : Ibuprofen and Healing

Fishman15
07-11-2014, 10:48 AM
So before my shoulder surgery I had been taking Advil off and on for many months to control inflammation and pain. Definitely noticed some relief when taking it when I was really hurting. Stopped taking it two weeks before the surgery per doctors orders to stop the blood thinning aspects I presume.

In my post op instructions, there was no mention of using ibuprofen or not using it so I called the office a few days after the surgery. I asked the nurse if Advil would have negative effects on my bicep tendon fusing and she said no and told me taking Advil was fine and even gave me a recommended dose of 400mg every 4 hours. Not sure how long that was recommended but I have already cut that way down.

So with no initial directions regarding Advil from the Dr., but yet the nurse saying it is ok to take, I am assuming they are neutral towards the benefits and side effects of the drug regarding healing after surgery at least for a tendon to fuse properly to your bone.

Curious if any of you folks have any info either way on Ibuprofen? I hear stuff from both sides and not quite sure what to believe...

ajdahlheimer
07-11-2014, 10:55 AM
I know Ibuprofen is hard on the liver if you take it the morning after partying hard. Which is about the only time I ever used to take the stuff.

Fishman15
07-11-2014, 11:03 AM
I know Ibuprofen is hard on the liver if you take it the morning after partying hard. Which is about the only time I ever used to take the stuff.

You have to wonder whether the drinking or the Advil was harder on your liver. I stopped drinking just so I could take Advil...:D

DocHoss
07-11-2014, 04:20 PM
I thought it was acetaminophen (Tylenol) that could destroy your liver when used with alcohol.

A lot of the hangover headache is due to dehydration, so drink lots of water when you drink!

DuracellBunny
07-11-2014, 05:41 PM
Take it for 10 days then give it a week off, rinse and repeat as necessary.

NSAIDs (of which Ibuprofen is one) if taken for extended periods actually prevent a proper healing process. If you kill the inflamatory response completely (which can happen), scar tissue can form on the tendons, which is not something you want.

If you want to google it, look up tendinosis v tendinitis, that should give you a good place to start.

Fishman15
07-11-2014, 06:16 PM
Take it for 10 days then give it a week off, rinse and repeat as necessary.

NSAIDs (of which Ibuprofen is one) if taken for extended periods actually prevent a proper healing process. If you kill the inflamatory response completely (which can happen), scar tissue can form on the tendons, which is not something you want.

If you want to google it, look up tendinosis v tendinitis, that should give you a good place to start.

Yup, have done quite a bit of research on the tendonosis vs tendonitis process for my elbow issues in my other arm. In this case, with my recent shoulder surgery, I was wondering about how well the cut bicep tendon would fuse into it's newly attached location when using/not using ibuprofen. Or if there really would be any difference...

DuracellBunny
07-11-2014, 06:24 PM
Yup, have done quite a bit of research on the tendonosis vs tendonitis process for my elbow issues in my other arm. In this case, with my recent shoulder surgery, I was wondering about how well the cut bicep tendon would fuse into it's newly attached location when using/not using ibuprofen. Or if there really would be any difference...

That's unknown territory for me, I would just be googling. My gut says the same rules would apply, in that killing the inflamation response could cause it to become somewhat degenerative (as with tendinosis) and not fuse as efficiently, but I don't have any evidence for that.

Fishman15
07-11-2014, 06:31 PM
That's unknown territory for me, I would just be googling. My gut says the same rules would apply, in that killing the inflamation response could cause it to become somewhat degenerative (as with tendinosis) and not fuse as efficiently, but I don't have any evidence for that.

Copy, that's how I am kind of leaning right now myself. Maybe take it until my post op in one more week and then let it go. My shoulder is doing real well so far anyway. It feels like I am way ahead of the game...out of the sling completely already doing minor ROM work and no narco pain meds needed.

crupiea
07-11-2014, 08:31 PM
I dont believe in meds but wil take some if I really, really need it.

This includes dental work. I have had fillings and the like without novacain just to see if i could take it and its not as bad as you would think. the pain gets to a certain level ans stops, just stays there so its doable.

The worst pain I had was when my gallbladdre acted up. man that was the worst damn pain I would ever wish on anyone and I tried but had to take some meds for that until they took it out. Didnt take any after though.

The medical industry is 100% dedicated on hooking you on something so resist that stuff as long and far as you can.

You dont need that stuff man. Just think it through. Take as much discomfort as you can and then take the least amount yo need to get rid of it.

Imagine some of the guys that came before us. They didnt have any motrin in the hanoi hilton and lived through it.

Imagine what would happen if you had a niggling pain during the revolutionary war. Those poor bastards didnt even have shoes in the middle of winter in valley forge.

cowboybiker
07-11-2014, 08:48 PM
My wife had a pain pump for the first couple days.
The Norco's made her nauseous so she went with ibuprofen.
She did well with that.

mcbourque
07-11-2014, 08:55 PM
I take Naproxen daily. But for me it's a risk/benefit thing. It's suppose to be hard on the stomach.
I usually find that when dealing with med questions, the pharmacists are best source of info. They know their stuff.

Just head to where you got your prescription and ask them.

cowboybiker
07-11-2014, 08:58 PM
If it hurts really bad, rub some dirt on it and walk it off.

Brackneyc
07-11-2014, 08:59 PM
If it hurts really bad, rub some dirt on it and walk it off.

They did that at Valley Forge.

KRANE
07-11-2014, 09:56 PM
I have chronic back and shoulder pain as well OP. Sometimes the pains an annoyance and sometimes its excruciation to the point where I can't function.

I have Vicodin on hand to take it down to manageable (my euphemism) levels. I try not to take it regularly, because of dependency and reduced effects. Almost any pressure on my back aggravates it so it taken me years to get the point where I can workout again. I'm keeping it simple this time and focusing on diet as apposed to heavy weights.

I don't know about you but I hate drugs, and the though of becoming addicted to the point where I can't function without them. I try to take it very seldomly (although the pain is always there) and have made 30 pills last nearly a 12 months. Though I could take it everyday if I fell victim to its pain relieving capacities. The acetaminophen can cause liver damage.

Fishman15
07-11-2014, 10:50 PM
I have chronic back and shoulder pain as well OP. Sometimes the pains an annoyance and sometimes its excruciation to the point where I can't function.

I have Vicodin on hand to take it down to manageable (my euphemism) levels. I try no to take it regularly because of dependency and reduced effects. Almost any pressure on my back aggravates it so it taken me year to get the point where I can workout again. I'm keeping it simple this time and focusing on diet as apposed to heavy weights.

I don't know about you but I have drugs and the though of becoming addicted to the point where I can't function without them. I try to take it very seldomly (although the pain is always there) and have made 30 pills last nearly a 12 months. Though I could take it everyday if I fell victim to its pain relieving capacities. The acetaminophen can cause liver damage.

Oh yea, I am well aware of what the narcs can do to you. Got extremely addicted to them for years before and after my L4-5 disc replacement surgery. Was so addicted I had to take them to feel "normal" and function even at work. Also made me extremely lazy and content with sitting in the recliner and feeding my fat face non stop.

When I made a commitment to myself to drop all the weight a few years ago, I also had to wean myself off all the meds so I could exercise without feeling so exhausted. Turns out dropping 150# and exercising my ass off took care of all my back problems and my pain pill addiction. What a shocker huh?

I did take a few the day and day after my recent shoulder surgery but it was kind of like eating pizza and snickers all day for me now...just not my thing any more.