PDA

View Full Version : how long to learn how to ice skate good enough for hockey?

Boerdeur
07-11-2014, 07:03 AM
0 experience how long?

MCrow
07-11-2014, 07:06 AM
Depends on the person. If you are 35 and never skated before it can take a long time to learn to skate well enough to play in a req league. If you are younger, maybe it goes a little quick. Just depends on how well you can pick up the balancing and technique. Also, there is a difference between skating and skating for hockey. You have to be able to skate well backwards in order to play hockey.

DeshaunWatson
07-11-2014, 07:07 AM
Depends on the person. If you are 35 and never skated before it can take a long time to learn to skate well enough to play in a req league. If you are younger, maybe it goes a little quick. Just depends on how well you can pick up the balancing and technique. Also, there is a difference between skating and skating for hockey. You have to be able to skate well backwards in order to play hockey.
& pivoting & side stepping.

laxster
07-11-2014, 07:09 AM
skating is not hard. pivoting and backwards / change of direction is the hard part

MCrow
07-11-2014, 07:09 AM
& pivoting & side stepping.

Yeah, that too.

I can skate, like skate with my kid but I can't hockey skate for chit. I'm so bad I can't even play hockey effectively...lol.

DeshaunWatson
07-11-2014, 07:10 AM
Yeah, that too.

I can skate, like skate with my kid but I can't hockey skate for chit. I'm so bad I can't even play hockey effectively...lol.

i would wreck you then m8

hehehe.jpg

MCrow
07-11-2014, 07:17 AM
i would wreck you then m8

hehehe.jpg

No doubt. I grew up wrestling (from k-through college) and it overlaps the hockey season so I never really learned to skate well. My little brother skates well and used to destroy me all the time when I tried to play hockey. I'd just go goon on him and take him down, that was about all I could do...lol.

MontelWilliams
07-11-2014, 07:44 AM
if you learn figure skating you will be good enough

broboma2012
07-11-2014, 08:07 AM
this thread further proves that hockey is the greatest skill sport there is.

smallbonesjones
07-11-2014, 08:08 AM
about tree fiddty

mikedubzfitness
07-11-2014, 09:38 AM
skating is not hard. pivoting and backwards / change of direction is the hard part

...That's part of skating.

It takes a while to be a good skater. It's not something you'll just pick up your first few times out. It'll take a couple years to be decent.

Boerdeur
07-12-2014, 02:23 AM
thanks guys im thinking of getting into it

there is no rink near me right now, should i start practising on blades? i have decent experience on blades already atleast from when i used to skate around during early teens