PDA

View Full Version : vent~ ignorant co-worker - thought of BH

hmmmm16417
07-11-2014, 12:06 AM
So I have a guy that works with me that thinks he is "mr. Fitness". he is in ok shape and has a decent build I guess but nothing really to brag about.... and we have been talking back and forth about fitness for a few weeks. I try to learn as much as I can from anyone and see what works for some people as it makes for interesting discussions.

Anyways, he is starting to get real annoying. He now is telling me what I should change to obtain my goal and telling me that I should change my goal?

I feel i've made pretty decent progress since december and I am about to my target date and pretty close to my goals even though I've had some set backs. After my birthday I plan on slowly adding calories and lift harder to try a "clean bulk".

well anyways, i mentioned that my original goal is to have a visible 6-pack by my birthday (july 28) and will probably be 200 lb or maybe slightly under. ever since, he is constantly telling me that i need to do tons of cardio and cut my calories to 2000 as well as do an "abs only" day in my routine or I will never get my 6-pack. he said that I should just stay at 2000 calories and lift harder and I will be really ripped, but I should set my goal for about 185-190 lbs (keep in mind, i'm 6'1")

fast forward......last night i was in the office talking with my quality inspector and had two tootsie rolls in my hand (small ones) as he came in the office. Yes, i eat a piece of candy at work , sometimes 4 or 5 ....OMG, it's a sin!!! but it keeps me sane ....don't worry, i always log it with myfitnesspal!!!! I ate one and then opened the second one and as I put it in my mouth he said.....
"well no wonder you don't have a 6-pack yet, you can't eat like that and expect your abs to show" then he walked over to the coffee pot and grabbed the bowl that has sugar packets in it and brought it over to me and held it up to my chest and said "here, let me help you out...... you might as well just eat this because it will help you get that 6-pack quicker"....pretty sarcastic and was laughing.

usually I can joke around, but this guy has NO CLUE what I have been working on for the past several months and it p!ssed me off pretty good. He is about 5'8" and SAYS that he is 197lb and SAYS he has a 6-pack.... i'm kind of sceptical.

Honestly, the first thing I thought is.... WHAT WOULD BODYHARD DO? LMAO!!!! yeah, i felt like punching the guy in the throat since I was in a bad mood already ha.

Even though he is pretty annoying and feels he knows everything, i'm fairly confident that in a couple years he will be getting fat and i will still be getting better.

ok....i'm done

I guess there is at least one in every crown eh?

How many of you have that annoying co-worker that knows everything about fitness and bodybuilding?

schwollenpecker
07-11-2014, 01:15 AM
Arnold said in one interview he eats twinkies. That aside, I work with a doucher that is always bothering me with dumb ideas and telling me muscle turns to fat on and on annoying a-hole, so yeah I can sympathize.

Also he looks like he is on the Ethiopian plan so him advising anyone on this subject is comical at best.

crupiea
07-11-2014, 01:35 AM
Almost wish I knew the feeling.

I work virtually from home so my coworkers are from Costa rica, Dominican Republic, Georgia, Maine, anywhere but San Diego it seems. No one to really talk it up with casually.

On the other hand, the commute is about as good as it gets. less then 30 seconds most mornings, depending on if I want to put on socks that day or not.

Nikopolino
07-11-2014, 01:45 AM
So the guy is a brofessor....

Maybe he needs to learn, that many different paths can lead to success - and not just the one that works for him, or so he claims. Don't lose your cool over some guy like that.

Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is specifically your own.
-Bruce Lee

Richie71
07-11-2014, 01:51 AM
Strip off and flex.
Or have a workout together.

Plateauplower
07-11-2014, 02:24 AM
Bring him some of those sugar free gummie bears that make you crap yourself. Tell him to indulge because they are sugar free. The world is full of stupid people, I try not to let them bother me...

mr.average
07-11-2014, 02:32 AM
Get two pounds of sugar & heat it up, pour into a mould(hammer shape), go into work on monday & crack it on his head!
You could mess with his head, keep all your "bad" food for eating in front of him, tell him it's what you're eating all the time. When you've got your sixpack he'll try your secret & be a fat turd;) . It's a new diet from beachbody, low protein, high sugar & trans fats works like a charm

theKurp
07-11-2014, 05:16 AM
Which is the reason I learned long ago to never bring up my fitness regimen unsolicited to ANYONE. And when solicited, I keep the conversation short before steering it to some other topic.

DuracellBunny
07-11-2014, 05:43 AM
I find the most practical solution just to be to tell them to fcuk off.

beachguy498
07-11-2014, 05:52 AM
Which is the reason I learned long ago to never bring up my fitness regimen unsolicited to ANYONE. And when solicited, I keep the conversation short before steering it to some other topic.

Ding! Ding! We have a winner. One thing I live by is to tell coworkers as little as possible about anything. I work with some people that go to my gym and we talk a bit there, but that's it. One lady I'll talk to at work since she works out pretty hard.

I have one idiot, he weighs 400 lbs and is practically immobile. He always crows about this and that supplement, fat burner, etc. Oh and drink only ice water since your body burns fat trying to warm it up.

Another gem at work is this guy that is in my group, I stopped talking to him, now we discuss work and only work. Any conversation can easily go to his hatred of overweight people. He's 5'10" and maybe 170 lbs... a weak 170 lbs.

ajdahlheimer
07-11-2014, 05:56 AM
Arm-wrestle the douche.

pastorgbc
07-11-2014, 06:01 AM
Strip off and flex.

Ah, yes, the Brokeback Mountain approach.

Ray

pastorgbc
07-11-2014, 06:03 AM

Best advice given on the board in a long time. If someone has a question, they will ask.

Ray

Old-Time-Lifter
07-11-2014, 06:04 AM
Perhaps you're really angry with yourself and you're just projecting it onto him... we tend to be the most 'put out' with folks when we don't want to admit that they've got a point.

bodyhard
07-11-2014, 08:14 AM
Whether that guy is right or wrong if you are not asking for his advice then in my opinion he is stepping into your space and being disrespectful. I would pull his card and let him know to keep it moving. Tell him you do you and I will do me.

Fishman15
07-11-2014, 08:45 AM
Ahhh...just let it roll off ya like water off a duck's back. If he keeps it up just tell him you are on the verge of losing it and beating the f'ck out of a random co-worker......:D

I think I heard that somewhere before...

Dr0Scott
07-11-2014, 09:13 AM
To be fair, if I didn't know you were following a plan and saw you eating crap, after asking me/chatting to me about getting your 6 pack, then I might make a sarcastic comment - you should take it in good humour, and show him the proof can be in the tootsie roll/pudding ;)

Brackneyc
07-11-2014, 09:24 AM
I spent more time reading your post than I'd have given thinking about that dudes comments. Of course, spend 40 years being called a fat fck, and a guy like the one you described doesn't even hit the radar

Cass40
07-11-2014, 09:35 AM
I spent more time reading your post than I'd have given thinking about that dudes comments. Of course, spend 40 years being called a fat fck, and a guy like the one you described doesn't even hit the radar

Thank you for posting this. It really made me think of myself, and how stupid it is for me to complain about the few bad comments I get about my appearance.
People suck.

DocHoss
07-11-2014, 09:42 AM
Since no one I work with has any clue that I work out, I don't have to deal with DB coworkers. Maybe if there was a shirtless Friday :D but with clothes on I'm just another skinny geek.

I eat chocolate almost every day. I'm currently working on a bar that splits into 4-gram pieces - just enough to savor with my afternoon coffee.

skinny2buff6
07-11-2014, 09:43 AM
My co-workers always bragged about the 'cleanses' they were doing to lose weight and get in shape. "Yeah don't mind if i'm super bitchy today, i can only have one meal all day and one shake. So I'll probably be chain smoking like no other"

Lol u dumbbbbbbbb

/thread

Brackneyc
07-11-2014, 09:47 AM
Thank you for posting this. It really made me think of myself, and how stupid it is for me to complain about the few bad comments I get about my appearance.
People suck.

Yes, they do suck. I have never been one to pick at someones appearance, ever. Sadly, for some, it is their "go to" defense or insult.

Karl_Hungus
07-11-2014, 10:07 AM

Same here -- Years ago, I learned to avoid this when a colleague told me that I should use her "fat loss" routine, which consisted of consuming only a banana, coffee, and a low fat pizza every day.

Tell him you do you and I will do me.

^^ This. Another reason that I don't talk training with other people is because my training is different than most, and I don't need some know-it-all laying out all of the deficits they perceive in my training program. I do what works for me.

GreenWave1
07-11-2014, 10:54 AM
You don't even have to bring up your workouts to get "constructive" criticism. People comment about:
* my supps ("You have a whole GNC in there", "My buddy told me creatine is the worst thing for you"),
* the fact that I lift instead of doing what they're doing ("You come play ultimate frisbee with us. That'll really get you in shape"),
* my protein intake ("How much of that stuff do you drink")

I agree with Cass. People suck.

pastorgbc
07-11-2014, 11:08 AM
You don't even have to bring up your workouts to get "constructive" criticism. People comment about:
* my supps ("You have a whole GNC in there", "My buddy told me creatine is the worst thing for you"),
* the fact that I lift instead of doing what they're doing ("You come play ultimate frisbee with us. That'll really get you in shape"),
* my protein intake ("How much of that stuff do you drink")

I agree with Cass. People suck.

I do cardio in my work gym, and occasionally I will do a workout. I will sometimes get hit with comments about doing light weights is better for you, or lifting for tone, or the "I used to be really into lifting until.." I learned a long time ago to just let stuff pass and smile.

I never give out advice unless someone specifically asks about it, and then I only provide my thoughts on the question they ask.

Minding your own business: its a beautiful thing.

Ray

Fishman15
07-11-2014, 11:10 AM
Same here -- Years ago, I learned to avoid this when a colleague told me that I should use her "fat loss" routine, which consisted of consuming only a banana, coffee, and a low fat pizza every day.

^^ This. Another reason that I don't talk training with other people is because my training is different than most, and I don't need some know-it-all laying out all of the deficits they perceive in my training program. I do what works for me.

Ahh yes, the ol' banana, coffee, pizza diet...who could forget?

GreenWave1
07-11-2014, 11:24 AM
... I learned a long time ago to just let stuff pass and smile.

I never give out advice unless someone specifically asks about it, and then I only provide my thoughts on the question they ask.

Minding your own business: its a beautiful thing.

That's my play. You can't let them distract you from your goals.

hmmmm16417
07-12-2014, 08:11 AM
It was just irritating lol I know my weakness is chocolate. ....but I control it and enjoy it :)

hmmmm16417
07-12-2014, 08:16 AM
Perhaps you're really angry with yourself and you're just projecting it onto him... we tend to be the most 'put out' with folks when we don't want to admit that they've got a point.

Not quite lol. Now if I was prepping for a contest and this guy was in perfect shape......maybe

quicksand jesus
07-12-2014, 08:26 AM
People suck.

That's just horrible... And yes, some people really do suck!

Dr0Scott
07-12-2014, 09:04 AM
It was just irritating lol I know my weakness is chocolate. ....but I control it and enjoy it :)

I don't really believe I'm capable of addiction, but I have an issue with chocolate - if I eat it I'm a chocoholic and have to finish the whole: bar, box, tin - whatever it is - so I abstain. I love cakes though, and enjoy them in a healthy controlled way ;)

Old-Time-Lifter
07-12-2014, 09:49 AM
Not quite lol. Now if I was prepping for a contest and this guy was in perfect shape......maybe

Which would be the expected answer if you were in fact upset with yourself and projecting your frustration onto him.

The fact that it got you stirred up at all is proof enough that I'm spot on.

Good luck with your lifting goals.

Whiskeyjack
07-12-2014, 01:02 PM

An example of why it's always the same people I want to rep but am always 'on spread.'

Juggertha
07-12-2014, 06:43 PM
Strip off and flex.

That'd be my solution.

Honestly, I kind of like the guy from what you've said. It can be taken that he's a total douche, OR, that he cares about ya and is trying to push ya. Either way, take what he says and see if it has validity.

drudixon
07-13-2014, 06:14 AM
Smile and nod.

Tmax55
07-13-2014, 06:45 AM
Whenever someone says muscle turns into fat, I respond with they must be able to turn lead into gold, since muscle and fat are not at all chemically the same thing.

RT1957
07-13-2014, 06:55 AM
I had a similar situation with a co-worker regarding music. Someone told this guy I played professionally and he would come over to my cube all the time and disturb my work to say the stupidest things about music and bands....etc...I finally had to tell him I'd go to his manager if he didn't stop coming around. I was software engineer making gobs of $$$ at an aerospace company and he would take 45 minutes to and Hr just boring the $hit out me with his dumb comments....not to mention he never stopped talking. It wasn't a conversation between 2 people it was him slamming him opinions down my throat while wasting good work time for both of us

Tmax55
07-13-2014, 08:30 AM
Almost everybody talks about things that their co-workers don't find overly interesting. I do it and my co-workers do it to me. Some amount of listening to it is necessary.

Karl_Hungus
07-13-2014, 09:41 AM
Almost everybody talks about things that their co-workers don't find overly interesting. I do it and my co-workers do it to me. Some amount of listening to it is necessary.

Seriously? If I know a coworker is not interested in what I have to say, then I will stop talking. I can't stand it when people ramble on forever about some nonsense even when I give plenty of cues that I am not interested.

Tmax55
07-13-2014, 10:41 AM
Most of the people I've worked with talk about things I'm never interested in. Like tv shows or popular culture. If I have to listen to that they can listen to my stupid chit. I keep hoping it will limit unpleasant interaction, which has mixed results.

eomrat
07-13-2014, 11:05 AM
I don't really believe I'm capable of addiction

Lol

You are a unique and very special person. A true snowflake.

BigJ66
07-13-2014, 11:46 AM
People suck.

Agreed.

If it wasn't for people, the world would be a great place.

Cass40
07-13-2014, 12:30 PM
Agreed.

If it wasn't for people, the world would be a great place.

Hell is other people.

-Sartre-

Dr0Scott
07-13-2014, 01:25 PM
Lol

You are a unique and very special person. A true snowflake.

Why thank you ;). It's a state of mind. I can try, use heavily, and then decide to abstain from anything, anytime I like.

Fishman15
07-13-2014, 01:35 PM
Why thank you ;). It's a state of mind. I can try, use heavily, and then decide to abstain from anything, anytime I like.

Well, some things are more than just a state of mind. Sometimes you can get a "physical dependence" as well. My guess is you have not used certain things heavily enough for long enough if you feel you have never been addicted to anything. Don't think I've ever come across anyone in my nearly 50 years who has made this claim...

paolo59
07-13-2014, 01:44 PM
Co-workers will eventually say something stupid. And if they don't...I will! :)

hmmmm16417
07-13-2014, 05:06 PM
Which would be the expected answer if you were in fact upset with yourself and projecting your frustration onto him.

The fact that it got you stirred up at all is proof enough that I'm spot on.

Good luck with your lifting goals.

Sounds like you know this guy lol

Dr0Scott
07-14-2014, 12:45 AM
Well, some things are more than just a state of mind. Sometimes you can get a "physical dependence" as well. My guess is you have not used certain things heavily enough for long enough if you feel you have never been addicted to anything. Don't think I've ever come across anyone in my nearly 50 years who has made this claim...

Physical dependence wears off. That is why we have two main schools of thought on addiction, or rather two separate classifications for people who have/had dependency issues - those who will always class themselves as an addict for the rest of their lives whether they abstain or not, and those who would refer to themselves as having previously been an addict - I have known many alcoholics and a few heroin addicts - strangely the majority of the heroin addicts would state that they used to be an addict - whereas the majority of alcoholics/previous alcoholics would proclaim that they were addicts for life regardless of when they had last had a drink.

Like I said, for me it is a state of mind. I choose to believe this, therefore it is true for me, ymmv.

Flounderbout
07-14-2014, 04:18 AM
I don't believe that I am capable of denial.

jeffaus
07-14-2014, 04:27 AM
I don't believe that I am capable of denial.I don't think you are capable of Floundering about and therefore ARE in denial.

See what I did there

Flounderbout
07-14-2014, 04:32 AM
See what I did there

No.
Wait wut. Damn. :mad:

DocHoss
07-14-2014, 10:01 AM
I don't believe that I am capable of denial.
I deny that