PDA

View Full Version : anybody experience this?

STT816
07-10-2014, 10:07 AM
I was in a cut for around 16 weeks 20% below tdee. Started to reverse diet 2 weeks ago raising 100 calories per week so now I'm 200 calories up daily from my cut. For those 2 weeks I have been losing more weight than usual. in my 20% deficit I was only losing about .5 towards the end....now it's like 1 pound a week, is this normal or is my scale off?

DoogShnooglis
07-10-2014, 11:05 AM
It's only two pounds. At 999, that's well within the margin of error.

lee__d
07-10-2014, 11:08 AM
My thoughts on this:

I'm having a back and forth on YouTube with someone about reverse dieting. So, I just had some thoughts (probably not novel thoughts, but I'll share anyway).

One thing I think is overlooked, or underconsidered is just plain ole tdee increase (and this is outside of any 'metabolic recovery' that may be happening).

What I'm trying to get at is if increasing carbs (and cals) is causing a spike in tdee, which is causing people to either remain (or jump back into) a deficit, thus allowing more leaning out to occur through the reverse diet.

Arbitrary example to explain what I'm saying:

Person A is consuming 2000 calories and expending 2000 after a long diet. Weight loss is stalling and they feel ****ty so they want to reverse. So calories are slowly added, mostly from cho. Do you think it's possible that as intake is rising, expenditure is rising at a higher rate due to increased energy (leading to higher gym performance, more NEAT, and thus a higher tdee). So lets say for every 50 calories added on the energy side, the person is adding 100 to the energy out side.

So let's say 2 months passes, A is now consuming 2300 calories and expending 2600.

So in the end, even though intake might be up, so is expenditure. So really, the person is just (still) creating a bigger deficit.

Maybe a general rise in tdee may be have a bigger magnitude than it's given credit during a reverse diet.

STT816
07-10-2014, 11:32 AM
My thoughts on this:

hmm interesting theory, so what you're saying is they actually have the energy to perform better/more to increase tdee?