PDA

View Full Version : I have no idea what I'm doing...

Trav1988
07-10-2014, 06:45 AM
I have a very short attention span.

I'm one of those people who just picks up bits of information here and there and puts it all together then acts surprised when I don't see results.

I'll give you an example, right now I'm intermittent fasting, eating a very low carb diet and getting 1700cal a day. Somehow I'm only dropping weight very slowly, if at all most days (over a period of 2 months I've lost only 6-7lbs from 195 - 188.4). I tried to get all smart and set some macros too at Protien: 50% Fat 30% and Carbs 20%. "Why?" You ask. No idea, I aimed for low carbs and figured the rest was ok.

I'm currently training 5 times a week, and now I have joined BB.com I have a set workout plan. The problem for me is understanding nutrition, it's just to technical for me. It's not out of ignorance, I just get overwhelmed with information and struggle to process it into a plan that works for me.

The thing is, I put all this effort into my diet, fasting during certain hours, cutting all grains and processed carbs out and keeping my calores really low, and because I don't know what I'm doing I'm not getting the rewards.

I'm probably around 25% BF, I lift weights I do HIIT maybe 3 nights a week and I'm eating 1700cal of low carbs food mostly chicken, eggs and vegetables. I'd like to continue intermittent fasting as it's an easy way to control my calories if I have a much shorter time to get them in (1pm - 8pm).

My question is this: Can somebody very simply just tell me what to do with my diet? What to eat, and how to eat.

Trav.

davidolson22
07-10-2014, 06:59 AM
I have a very short attention span.
[/B] Can somebody very simply just tell me what to do with my diet? What to eat, and how to eat.

Trav.

Read the stickies

Former300lber
07-10-2014, 07:00 AM
How are you tracking your food? Do you use an actual kitchen scale an weigh everything out?

wlodarczykn
07-10-2014, 07:00 AM
Emma-Leigh has already told you - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156380183

Lambo2579
07-10-2014, 07:05 AM
sounds to me like you may not be meeting your TDEE cals with doing HIIT 3 x/week, etc

Trav1988
07-10-2014, 07:07 AM
How are you tracking your food? Do you use an actual kitchen scale an weigh everything out? Yeah and track everything in My Fitness Pal too.

Trav1988
07-10-2014, 07:11 AM
sounds to me like you may not be meeting your TDEE cals with doing HIIT 3 x/week, etc I have no idea what you're talking about, but I would like you to elaborate if you have a minute :D

chessboxxn
07-10-2014, 07:17 AM
What are you working toward? What rewards are you not getting? It sounds like you are putting a lot of work in - energy out - and maybe not providing enough nourishment - energy in - which is preventing you from 'making progress.'

Required reading;

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-energy-balance-equation.html

Trav1988
07-10-2014, 07:26 AM
What are you working toward? What rewards are you not getting? It sounds like you are putting a lot of work in - energy out - and maybe not providing enough nourishment - energy in - which is preventing you from 'making progress.'

Thanks for this man I'll take a look.

My ultimate goal is 8% but that's probably about 12months work minimum, I just want to make sure I'm moving in the right direction and now wasting too much time.

chessboxxn
07-10-2014, 07:46 AM
I might suggest a diet break. Knowing what you know about minimum protein / fat requirements, carbohydrates being "nonessential," I'd work on structuring a solid diet consisting of foods you enjoy. If you find low carb works for you, that's all that's important. Keep training, try to establish maintenance, see if maybe some water fluctuation occurs that could be - possibly - masking some fat loss / progress from the last couple weeks. It sounds like you are eating small, working big, which should lead to results, right? You're not seeing them, possibly a typical diet plateau. I'm beginning to think there is a lot to the following;

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html

I am beginning to put a lot more stock into the idea of reestablishing order in the body (physiological, psychological) in the form of diet breaks, refeeds and the like.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html

The stickies provide a lot of great information, a lot of stuff linking out to other great resources, etc etc

Start feeding the brain. :)

Trav1988
07-10-2014, 08:47 AM
I might suggest a diet break. Knowing what you know about minimum protein / fat requirements, carbohydrates being "nonessential," I'd work on structuring a solid diet consisting of foods you enjoy. If you find low carb works for you, that's all that's important. Keep training, try to establish maintenance, see if maybe some water fluctuation occurs that could be - possibly - masking some fat loss / progress from the last couple weeks. It sounds like you are eating small, working big, which should lead to results, right? You're not seeing them, possibly a typical diet plateau. I'm beginning to think there is a lot to the following;

I am beginning to put a lot more stock into the idea of reestablishing order in the body (physiological, psychological) in the form of diet breaks, refeeds and the like.

The stickies provide a lot of great information, a lot of stuff linking out to other great resources, etc etc

Start feeding the brain. :)

Perfect, that sounds like exactly what I was after. Thanks a lot man I'll be sure to keep logging my progress.

VmissileX
07-10-2014, 09:03 AM
I didn't read your whole thread but want to make a quick and important point (can't even see your height and weight due to being on mobile)

Losing 6-8 lbs in 2 months is actually pretty moderate and good in progress

Jbizzlechizzle
07-10-2014, 09:26 AM
Perfect, that sounds like exactly what I was after. Thanks a lot man I'll be sure to keep logging my progress.From what I've gathered, I'd focus on the following areas and adjust as necessary:

1. You're not eating nearly enough with the amount of exercise you're doing
2. There's no need to have your carbs that low - you need those carbs to fuel your workouts
3. Is it possible for you to do your HIIT in the morning before you eat? This may help you burn some fat and jumpstart your metabolism for the day

Based on your stats, you need about 2400 cal/day to maintain your current weight. For weight loss you should target about 2050 cal/day. You can break that down however you'd like, but I'd raise the carbs considerably and keep the fats relatively low. It might look something like: 170g protein/day, 200g carbs/day, 60 grams fat/day

Track your food meticulously and eat as clean as possible. Good luck to you!

monsterBEN
07-10-2014, 10:09 AM
Since when was losing 6-7lbs in 8 weeks all that bad?

1. Make sure you're counting your intake accurately.
2. Eat a balanced diet focused on whole, unprocessed foods.
3. Get some form of weight training and cardio a few days/week.
4. Adjust exercise and food according to your results.

If you try to read/learn every little factoid or opinion it'll be overwhelming. The basics aren't rocket science. Losing .5-1.0 lbs/wk is perfectly acceptable.

Mrpb
07-10-2014, 10:18 AM
My question is this: Can somebody very simply just tell me what to do with my diet? What to eat, and how to eat.

Eat 500 calories below TDEE, meeting macro and micro sufficiency.

Eat whenever you prefer eating as there is nothing special to be gained from restricting your eating times.

Follow a proven lifting program with scheduled progressive overload.

As you are lifting 5 days a week I'm assuming it's a body part per day split. They're quite ineffective.

Trav1988
07-10-2014, 12:17 PM
Eat 500 calories below TDEE, meeting macro and micro sufficiency.

Eat whenever you prefer eating as there is nothing special to be gained from restricting your eating times.

Follow a proven lifting program with scheduled progressive overload.

As you are lifting 5 days a week I'm assuming it's a body part per day split. They're quite ineffective.

Yes I'm splitting body parts, could you please explain what you mean by progressive overload?

Thanks for your time.

Trav1988
07-10-2014, 12:20 PM
Since when was losing 6-7lbs in 8 weeks all that bad?.

Hey ben thanks for your input.

My worry is that the largest part of that weight came off in the first month and has now stayed the same for roughly a week. I thought I'd see it creep off at least half a pound every couple of days as I have in the past.

Trav1988
07-10-2014, 12:28 PM
From what I've gathered, I'd focus on the following areas and adjust as necessary:

1. You're not eating nearly enough with the amount of exercise you're doing
2. There's no need to have your carbs that low - you need those carbs to fuel your workouts
3. Is it possible for you to do your HIIT in the morning before you eat? This may help you burn some fat and jumpstart your metabolism for the day

Based on your stats, you need about 2400 cal/day to maintain your current weight. For weight loss you should target about 2050 cal/day. You can break that down however you'd like, but I'd raise the carbs considerably and keep the fats relatively low. It might look something like: 170g protein/day, 200g carbs/day, 60 grams fat/day

Track your food meticulously and eat as clean as possible. Good luck to you!

Hey man thanks for that.

I can't move my HIIT training to the AM because I'm in a 2nd floor apartment. I do my gym routine in a fasted state though and take my first protein shake and meal straight afterwards. Will I see the same benefit weight lifting while fasted?

Also I get two proper meals a day, lunch ane dinner (plus a bit of fruit in between). When should I get the carbs in?

Jbizzlechizzle
07-10-2014, 01:42 PM
Hey man thanks for that.

I can't move my HIIT training to the AM because I'm in a 2nd floor apartment. I do my gym routine in a fasted state though and take my first protein shake and meal straight afterwards. Will I see the same benefit weight lifting while fasted?

Also I get two proper meals a day, lunch ane dinner (plus a bit of fruit in between). When should I get the carbs in?You should eat at least 3 meals per day. I personally opt for 5 or more. Keep healthy snacks around like fruit or nuts. I would never recommend a fasted workout that late in the day. It's just not something I would do. I would never fast before lifting either, because I need energy for my workout. I would try to avoid processed carbs. Yams and sweet potatoes are great. Rice is good... just stay within your macros and count everything. I usually have a Clif bar 45 minutes prior to my workouts. I find that gives me a great boost (as well as a cup of black coffee or unsweetened iced tea for the caffeine boost). If you're serious, plan your meals and prepare them twice a week. They can be measured/weighed and packaged in tupperware. I don't personally do this often, but it's really the best way to go.

Trav1988
07-11-2014, 12:39 AM
You should eat at least 3 meals per day. I personally opt for 5 or more. Keep healthy snacks around like fruit or nuts. I would never recommend a fasted workout that late in the day. It's just not something I would do. I would never fast before lifting either, because I need energy for my workout. I would try to avoid processed carbs. Yams and sweet potatoes are great. Rice is good... just stay within your macros and count everything. I usually have a Clif bar 45 minutes prior to my workouts. I find that gives me a great boost (as well as a cup of black coffee or unsweetened iced tea for the caffeine boost). If you're serious, plan your meals and prepare them twice a week. They can be measured/weighed and packaged in tupperware. I don't personally do this often, but it's really the best way to go.

Solid advice, I'll tweak my plan and see how it goes. thanks man.

Hemogoblin
07-11-2014, 12:44 AM
Best way to keep on track (I find) is to set out a bunch of meals that give you XXX calories, and make a recipe book with those meals in them. Keep the meals pretty simple at first cuz after all, you're trying to dial it in and find your sweet spot. Keep the macros for each meal about equal and keep the amounts in mind when making the recipes.

That way, it's pretty easy to say, I need to eat 800 calories per meal, 4 times a day (for example) and just go through that recipe book and find what you're up for.

It just takes planning.

Mrpb
07-11-2014, 12:46 AM
Yes I'm splitting body parts, could you please explain what you mean by progressive overload?

Thanks for your time.

You'll get better results if you train body parts 2 or 3 times per week. See; http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157107323

Progressive overload: http://www.google.com/search?q=progressive+overload&rlz=1C5CHFA_enUS560US560&oq=progressive+overload&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=91&ie=UTF-8

Trav1988
07-11-2014, 09:27 AM
Best way to keep on track (I find) is to set out a bunch of meals that give you XXX calories, and make a recipe book with those meals in them. Keep the meals pretty simple at first cuz after all, you're trying to dial it in and find your sweet spot. Keep the macros for each meal about equal and keep the amounts in mind when making the recipes.

That way, it's pretty easy to say, I need to eat 800 calories per meal, 4 times a day (for example) and just go through that recipe book and find what you're up for.

It just takes planning.

That's a good idea, I imagine after a few weeks you'll have a nice collection of recipes that you can refer to any time. I need things like that to keep it simple.

Cheers pal