PDA

View Full Version : Losing weight/muscle when stressed.

bodyhard
07-09-2014, 08:02 AM
When I lost my job, I was stressed and lost a lot of mass. Contrary to what some believe I lose weight/mass extremely fast. My body just wants to return to its original size if I do not continue eating and training. I know most gain weight when stressed, but I am the opposite.

And while I was training and eating my intensity in the gym was fading due to my stress. My stress affected my sleep and my everyday life. I would also go out drinking on the weekends :(

I could see and feel myself losing mass on a daily basis.

The first pic is a full body pic I took in March when I landed a job opportunity (God is Good) in which I have two more full body pics, side and back. This is not a true progress pic because the second one my wife took while I was talking to my son, but at the ending of July I will take a full body pic standing in the same way in the same room, front side and back relax.

But for now I use these two pics as progress

So March 2014 till July 2014
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj74/bodyhard_2008/Beforeandaftermarchtojuly2014_zps816678e4.jpg (http://s269.photobucket.com/user/bodyhard_2008/media/Beforeandaftermarchtojuly2014_zps816678e4.jpg.html )

JediRN
07-09-2014, 08:46 AM
Interesting. I think you gained more mass in 3 months than I have in a year.

bodyhard
07-09-2014, 08:47 AM

Muscle memory helps a lot also it is 5 months :D

pastorgbc
07-09-2014, 08:49 AM
I actually had the opposite effect. I lost my job in February and did not get a new job until the first week of April. Even though my workouts schedule did not change, I put on weight. Sometimes stress elicits a cortisol response that can pile up the fat a little.

Ray

bodyhard
07-09-2014, 08:53 AM
I actually had the opposite effect. I lost my job in February and did not get a new job until the first week of April. Even though my workouts schedule did not change, I put on weight. Sometimes stress elicits a cortisol response that can pile up the fat a little.

Ray

Funny how sh!t is huh Ray?

Just goes to show we are all different, Glad you landed something, its hard out here.

Nikonguy
07-09-2014, 09:02 AM
I had a visit with my new Dr. today (will post about later) regarding losing mass when I don't lift for more than a week or two. His response: "Hey man you're 56, you'll be lucky to keep any mass even if you do lift". :rolleyes:

bodyhard
07-09-2014, 09:08 AM
I had a visit with my new Dr. today (will post about later) regarding losing mass when I don't lift for more than a week or two. His response: "Hey man you're 56, you'll be lucky to keep any mass even if you do lift". :rolleyes:

Tell your doc what I told my doc when he told me I would never walk again let alone lift, F'ck you!!

Nikonguy
07-09-2014, 09:13 AM
Tell your doc what I told my doc when he told me I would never walk again let alone lift, F'ck you!!

LOL, I'm not going to tell him, I'll just show him he is wrong.

bodyhard
07-09-2014, 09:17 AM
LOL, I'm not going to tell him, I'll just show him he is wrong.

LOL funny you should say that. I had took a pic of me squatting (albeit it was just 135lbs) and took it to my docs office.

FltDoc06
07-09-2014, 02:20 PM
Most docs (and believe me, I know plenty) have no CLUE about fitness, much less lifting.

bodyhard
07-09-2014, 02:28 PM
Most docs (and believe me, I know plenty) have no CLUE about fitness, much less lifting.

Not knocking doctors but I have to agree with you.

Bando
07-09-2014, 03:38 PM
I had to host a conference in May, did not get much help at all, lost 7lbs :mad:

bodyhard
07-09-2014, 04:43 PM
I had to host a conference in May, did not get much help at all, lost 7lbs :mad:

Sucks doesn't it?

Bando
07-09-2014, 04:58 PM
Sucks doesn't it?

yep, it can go back on quick for me, but I don't want to be in a situation again where I am so stressed that I can't eat/have no time to eat.

Oceanside
07-09-2014, 04:59 PM
back in late 2011 right before the old man died I went from 220 to 189....

anxiety/depression ate my sh*t up...

I saw 189 on the scale and snapped out of it all :)

bodyhard
07-09-2014, 05:04 PM
back in late 2011 right before the old man died I went from 220 to 189....

anxiety/depression ate my sh*t up...

I saw 189 on the scale and snapped out of it all :)

I can't picture you that small OS.

Was it a bad 189lbs? Or were you at the very least pretty built but ripped?

Oceanside
07-09-2014, 05:32 PM
I can't picture you that small OS.

Was it a bad 189lbs? Or were you at the very least pretty built but ripped?

I was ripped for a marathon runner or waterpolo player....

is there a good 189lbs ?

Bando
07-09-2014, 05:36 PM

is there a good 189lbs ?

I would like a good 189. When I lost weight from stress it was not like shedding fat and keeping muscle, it was just like shrinking all over:mad:

Oceanside
07-09-2014, 05:48 PM
I would like a good 189. When I lost weight from stress it was not like shedding fat and keeping muscle, it was just like shrinking all over:mad:
yeah...

try losing 30lbs when you didn't wanna lose anything....

it totally sucked !

bodyhard
07-09-2014, 05:51 PM

is there a good 189lbs ?

Hell yeah man 189lbs with good LBM, low BF and full belly muscles, now 189lbs of skinny fat, well that is another story.

bodyhard
07-09-2014, 05:52 PM
yeah...

it totally sucked !

I definitely can relate...

Bando
07-09-2014, 05:56 PM
yeah...

it totally sucked !

30 is pretty harsh. Just losing 7 set my bench press back to numbers from 2 years prior. Disappointing to be sure, but the numbers are inching back up.

RT1957
07-09-2014, 06:19 PM
I lose weight and mass real fast...If I'm stressed, I don't eat right, and being a natural skinny fat kid my body sheds the extra lean mass real fast. So I try to stay even keel as much as possible....and eat

silverlightning
07-09-2014, 06:21 PM
i have a question. how much do you weigh in the before/after picture? please respond. :)

Tanerian
07-09-2014, 06:48 PM
Wow that's some AWESOME work in 4 months.

Brackneyc
07-09-2014, 06:55 PM
I eat when I am happy, and I eat when I am not happy. The concept of not gaining fat quickly, even on a very slight documented surplus is completely lost on me. I can drop it pretty fast, but it comes easier than it goes.

Fishman15
07-09-2014, 07:16 PM
I eat when I am happy, and I eat when I am not happy. The concept of not gaining fat quickly, even on a very slight documented surplus is completely lost on me. I can drop it pretty fast, but it comes easier than it goes.

Finally a guy who speaks my language. I put on 5 lbs in one week since my shoulder surgery. Not able to work hard in the gym combined with sheer boredom of too much time on my hands equals Fatty McButter Pants...

I actually walked in the gym tonight more concerned that people were going to notice the few lbs I gained vs my shoulder in a sling. It's slightly possible...ever so slightly I have an eating disorder...just slightly...

bodyhard
07-09-2014, 09:41 PM
i have a question. how much do you weigh in the before/after picture? please respond. :)

158lbs to 165lbs 7lb increase.

beachguy498
07-10-2014, 04:51 AM
With my wife in and out of the hospital & hospice for a solid month, I dropped 15 lbs and definitely some mass. So I can see it happening. I also wasn't eating right, grabbed whatever I could at the time. I'm back in the gym and slowing getting back into it. Stress can definitely do a number on you.

Whiskeyjack
07-10-2014, 05:41 AM
I always lose muscle mass when stressed and go through layoffs but have good muscle memory when I get back in the gym.

Big_Sky_Guy
07-10-2014, 08:39 AM
I gain when stressed as I tend to eat like crap = more calories that I need.

bodyhard
07-10-2014, 09:26 AM
It seems the majority lose mass when stressed, I thought most gained fat?

I guess I am not all that different.

beachguy498
07-10-2014, 12:04 PM
It seems the majority lose mass when stressed, I thought most gained fat?

I guess I am not all that different.

I really don't like to eat when I'm extremely stressed, usually someone has to TELL me to go and get something to eat. This happened all the time when I was with Barbara when she was very sick. I really had to tear myself away from being there for her.

bodyhard
07-10-2014, 12:06 PM
I really don't like to eat when I'm extremely stressed, usually someone has to TELL me to go and get something to eat. This happened all the time when I was with Barbara when she was very sick. I really had to tear myself away from being there for her.

But what I find interesting is that I continue eating the same way, but still lose weight. I am not sure how this can be but I think my CNS gets all f'cked up and somehow I burn more calories during stressful times.

tobymax123
07-10-2014, 12:57 PM
I have both lost weight and gained weight during stressful periods, depending on the circumstances. A stress that keeps me physically busy, such as caring for a dying relative or working long hours to meet a deadline, will keep my mind off of food and I don't feel hungry or eat very much. But stress that just weighs me down mentally without keeping me physically occupied makes me want to eat, and eat bad stuff.

As for BH, since you continue to eat the same way, maybe the stress is keeping you fired up internally, making you fidget and move around more, pacing the floor, etc.? Maybe that's why you lose weight?

Oddly enough for me, losing my job at the end of 2012 was the exact opposite of stressful. It was like a weight lifted off my shoulders, and the knots in my back melted away for the first time in years. I guess I didn't realize how stressful that job was. Luckily I had a 6 month severance package, and almost enough saved to retire on if it came to that, so I didn't have financial stress. Actually it forced me out of the office "fitness center" and into a real gym for the first time in years, and I'm very thankful for that. And thankfully I started a new (better) job 7 months later.

bodyhard
07-10-2014, 01:32 PM
I have both lost weight and gained weight during stressful periods, depending on the circumstances. A stress that keeps me physically busy, such as caring for a dying relative or working long hours to meet a deadline, will keep my mind off of food and I don't feel hungry or eat very much. But stress that just weighs me down mentally without keeping me physically occupied makes me want to eat, and eat bad stuff.

As for BH, since you continue to eat the same way, maybe the stress is keeping you fired up internally, making you fidget and move around more, pacing the floor, etc.? Maybe that's why you lose weight?

Oddly enough for me, losing my job at the end of 2012 was the exact opposite of stressful. It was like a weight lifted off my shoulders, and the knots in my back melted away for the first time in years. I guess I didn't realize how stressful that job was. Luckily I had a 6 month severance package, and almost enough saved to retire on if it came to that, so I didn't have financial stress. Actually it forced me out of the office "fitness center" and into a real gym for the first time in years, and I'm very thankful for that. And thankfully I started a new (better) job 7 months later.

Yup, that is exactly what is does, I just feel wired all day, even while I sleep (the little I get when I am stressed) I feel wired..

Glad things worked out for you man.

Just notice you and I are identical in age height and almost in weight.

tobymax123
07-10-2014, 01:41 PM
Just notice you and I are identical in age height and almost in weight.
Yeah, but my body doesn't look like yours! You look like you weigh 185 and I look like I weigh 150. :(

bodyhard
07-10-2014, 01:43 PM
Yeah, but my body doesn't look like yours! You look like you weigh 185 and I look like I weigh 150. :(

I wouldn't go that far, last pic I saw of you, I think it was a most muscular you looked jacked. And you have good size on your legs as well

beachguy498
07-10-2014, 01:45 PM
But what I find interesting is that I continue eating the same way, but still lose weight. I am not sure how this can be but I think my CNS gets all f'cked up and somehow I burn more calories during stressful times.

I could see that as a fight-or-flight mechanism kicking your metabolism into overdrive.

bodyhard
07-10-2014, 01:58 PM
I could see that as a fight-or-flight mechanism kicking your metabolism into overdrive.

Good point.

DocHoss
07-10-2014, 04:59 PM
As long as I'm working out, if I don't eat like it's going out of style, I become the incredible shrinking man.

When I lost my job, I was stressed and lost a lot of mass. Contrary to what some believe I lose weight/mass extremely fast. My body just wants to return to its original size if I do not continue eating and training. I know most gain weight when stressed, but I am the opposite.

And while I was training and eating my intensity in the gym was fading due to my stress. My stress affected my sleep and my everyday life. I would also go out drinking on the weekends :(

I could see and feel myself losing mass on a daily basis.

The first pic is a full body pic I took in March when I landed a job opportunity (God is Good) in which I have two more full body pics, side and back. This is not a true progress pic because the second one my wife took while I was talking to my son, but at the ending of July I will take a full body pic standing in the same way in the same room, front side and back relax.

But for now I use these two pics as progress

So March 2014 till July 2014
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj74/bodyhard_2008/Beforeandaftermarchtojuly2014_zps816678e4.jpg (http://s269.photobucket.com/user/bodyhard_2008/media/Beforeandaftermarchtojuly2014_zps816678e4.jpg.html )
Jeez, impressive job!

Muscle memory helps a lot also it is 5 months :D
I count 4 months elapsed time. Whatever it was, you still gained more muscle than I have in 3 years!

is there a good 189lbs ?
I would be delighted to be a ripped 189. No, make that delirious. When I finally hit 180 on my slow, "clean" bulk, I looked like the Pillsbury Dough Boy. With hair. :D

I actually walked in the gym tonight more concerned that people were going to notice the few lbs I gained vs my shoulder in a sling. It's slightly possible...ever so slightly I have an eating disorder...just slightly...
I wouldn't say eating disorder, but body image disorder, maybe :)

Karma was good to you!