PDA

View Full Version : Football coaches...

bradandblake
07-08-2014, 11:17 AM
My kid is training for football this upcoming season, in their summer pride session. The coaches there are idiots. Basically telling my kid, age 13, who benches 205 mind you, that his bench form is wrong. And they make him do extra sprints and pushups if he doesn't do it right, as he pumps them out like they are nothing. They tell him supplements like amino acids are pointless, and basically make fun of us for "wasting our money" on powerlifting training and supplementation.

I just want to go over there and punch all of them.

Rant over.

GreenWave1
07-08-2014, 11:20 AM
What is there specific complaint about his form? Do you have a vid of him doing 205? Be interesting to see.

bradandblake
07-08-2014, 11:25 AM
What is there specific complaint about his form? Do you have a vid of him doing 205? Be interesting to see.

He does perfect powerlifting form.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGqhgnojZQk

Basically, they want him to do bodybuilder form. He's a lineman. WTF

ajdahlheimer
07-08-2014, 11:26 AM
Wow, these guys sound like complete tards. I played football all through grade school, jr high, high school, and college. The lifts my school stressed (and the ones I found most beneficial for on the field) were core lifts like bench, squat, cleans (especially), and jerks. Creatine was just getting big when I was in HS and you could tell who the kids were who used it (me) and who didn't. I coached my son's football team (3rd and 4th grade) last year and will again this fall.

What are they saying is wrong with your son's bench form? Also, 205 at 13 years old? That's incredible. How big of a kid is he? I remember doing 165x8 (~205-210) when I was 16.

silverlightning
07-08-2014, 11:27 AM
My kid is training for football this upcoming season, in their summer pride session. The coaches there are idiots. Basically telling my kid, age 13, who benches 205 mind you, that his bench form is wrong. And they make him do extra sprints and pushups if he doesn't do it right, as he pumps them out like they are nothing. They tell him supplements like amino acids are pointless, and basically make fun of us for "wasting our money" on powerlifting training and supplementation.

Rant over.

dang 205 at age 13? strong kid. my son's S&C coach says the same about his son's football coach as his son is Varsity and has to train at the school; said the coach made him squat like 225 for 25 reps instead of strength training. i didn't post the name of the place my son trains, but its mpftrainingsystems in huntington beach, CA.

ajdahlheimer
07-08-2014, 11:30 AM
He does perfect powerlifting form.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGqhgnojZQk

Basically, they want him to do bodybuilder form. He's a lineman. WTF

Honestly, I think I think that is more for a liability reasons, B&B. You can really screw up your back if you don't do the powerlifting form correctly (not saying your son isn't). It's just easier to tell kids to do it the flat way.

bradandblake
07-08-2014, 11:34 AM
Wow, these guys sound like complete tards. I played football all through grade school, jr high, high school, and college. The lifts my school stressed (and the ones I found most beneficial for on the field) were core lifts like bench, squat, cleans (especially), and jerks. Creatine was just getting big when I was in HS and you could tell who the kids were who used it (me) and who didn't. I coached my son's football team (3rd and 4th grade) last year and will again this fall.

What are they saying is wrong with your son's bench form? Also, 205 at 13 years old? That's incredible. How big of a kid is he? I remember doing 165x8 (~205-210) when I was 16.

He is 5'7", 155-160. He is extremely strong relative to the rest of the kids. Runs about a 5.2/5.3 40 too. Just gifted athletically. Doesn't look like it, but is, if that makes sense.

Its obvious he's doing much better than the rest of the kids, considering his speed and strength, just strange to me they are giving him so much sh*t.

bradandblake
07-08-2014, 11:35 AM
Honestly, I think I think that is more for a liability reasons, B&B. You can really screw up your back if you don't do the powerlifting form correctly (not saying your son isn't). It's just easier to tell kids to do it the flat way.

Yeah, it could be. But you can explain that to the kid, instead of making fun of it.

bradandblake
07-08-2014, 11:37 AM
dang 205 at age 13? strong kid. my son's S&C coach says the same about his son's football coach as his son is Varsity and has to train at the school; said the coach made him squat like 225 for 25 reps instead of strength training. i didn't post the name of the place my son trains, but its mpftrainingsystems in huntington beach, CA.

I bet they don't want kids hurt. Like AJ said above. Whats the point of bodybuilding training for kids whose entire sport is based on power and quickness? Very strange to me.

ajdahlheimer
07-08-2014, 11:38 AM
He is 5'7", 155-160. He is extremely strong relative to the rest of the kids. Runs about a 5.2/5.3 40 too. Just gifted athletically. Doesn't look like it, but is, if that makes sense.

Its obvious he's doing much better than the rest of the kids, considering his speed and strength, just strange to me they are giving him so much sh*t.

That kid is gonna be a beast when he's older, assuming he keeps up the lifting.

ajdahlheimer
07-08-2014, 11:42 AM
Whats the point of bodybuilding training for kids whose entire sport is based on power and quickness? Very strange to me.

You think benching with bodybuilding form vs powerlifting form will necessarily affect power and quickness though? It is the same motion correct, just not the same range of motion? Sorry, I've never personally benched using the powerlifting form.

bradandblake
07-08-2014, 11:43 AM
That kid is gonna be a beast when he's older, assuming he keeps up the lifting.

So far he loves it. He likes to challenge himself. I just hope he gets height from his mother's side.. The tallest guy in my family is about 6'. On her side there are some +6'3".

bradandblake
07-08-2014, 11:44 AM
You think benching with bodybuilding form vs powerlifting form will necessarily affect power and quickness though? It is the same motion correct, just not the same range of motion? Sorry, I've never personally benched using the powerlifting form.

Yes. Most of your power in pushing actually comes from your shoulders and triceps. Very little of football type movements really involves your chest.

Same with squatting. You should be doing quick and powerful squats to improve your football mechanics.

silverlightning
07-08-2014, 11:44 AM

its different
*****://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGqhgnojZQk

ajdahlheimer
07-08-2014, 11:52 AM
Yes. Most of your power in pushing actually comes from your shoulders and triceps. Very little of football type movements really involves your chest.

Same with squatting. You should be doing quick and powerful squats to improve your football mechanics.

But having a big strong (mass) chest is surely gonna help a linemen in the trenches, brah. That's why it is so important for college and nfl linemen to keep their weight up all the time. It's about not letting other people move you just as much as it is about you moving them.

Agree on the squatting. That's why I thought cleans/jerks were very important for developing football strength for me back in the day. I was the only guy on my college team that still did them.

Requitor
07-08-2014, 11:54 AM
Tell you what, if any adult made fun of my kid or me for how I choose to raise him they would wake up in the ICU, no joke.

bustasinclair
07-08-2014, 12:01 PM

Rant over.

205# at 13......geezus....I remember age 13 very well. That was when I finally surpassed the big 'benchin' a plate per side' . :D

FWIW, from watching the bench pressing at the combine, I'd say there is very little attention to form going on at any level HS through college. Just an observation.

bradandblake
07-08-2014, 12:03 PM
But having a big strong (mass) chest is surely gonna help a linemen in the trenches, brah. That's why it is so important for college and nfl linemen to keep their weight up all the time. It's about not letting other people move you just as much as it is about you moving them.

Agree on the squatting. That's why I thought cleans/jerks were very important for developing football strength for me back in the day. I was the only guy on my college team that still did them.

I don't know about that. Chest will grow even doing just powerlifting style bench press. I'm just saying the focus should be more towards power not size. Size comes in the kitchen.

bradandblake
07-08-2014, 12:04 PM
Tell you what, if any adult made fun of my kid or me for how I choose to raise him they would wake up in the ICU, no joke.

Agreed, unfortunately the ICU for them means I lose my job. They pursue and prosecute around here.

bradandblake
07-08-2014, 12:08 PM
205# at 13......geezus....I remember age 13 very well. That was when I finally surpassed the big 'benchin' a plate per side' . :D

FWIW, from watching the bench pressing at the combine, I'd say there is very little attention to form going on at any level HS through college. Just an observation.

Yeah he is surprising me.

I bet you are right. I don't think I'd be throwing such a fit about it if they weren't making fun of him.

The deal is, on the field though, maybe they will change their minds. That's what I told my kid, don't argue, prove it on the field. They'll shut up.

ajdahlheimer
07-08-2014, 12:09 PM
I don't know about that. Chest will grow even doing just powerlifting style bench press.

That ain't what the guy in the vid said though. Just sayin'. The coach's goal is probably to build the kids up THEN refine their skill/technique/explosiveness. Your kid is just the exception to their rule because he's already done a lot of that (from how he's worked out prior).

ajdahlheimer
07-08-2014, 12:11 PM

And an accurate observation as well, Bustas. At the combine they don't even care you bounce it the entire time.

bradandblake
07-08-2014, 12:14 PM
That ain't what the guy in the vid said though. Just sayin'. The coach's goal is probably to build the kids up THEN refine their skill/technique/explosiveness. Your kid is just the exception to their rule because he's already done a lot of that (from how he's worked out prior).

Yeah, muscle growth is really secondary in powerlifting. My kid has been training for about a year and a half now. His base strength/size was already there.

pastorgbc
07-08-2014, 12:16 PM
I spent many years coaching football from juniors to high school to semi-pro. If I had a kid who was 13 and benching 205, I could care less what form he used.

I wonder if the coaches can get 205?

Ray

ajdahlheimer
07-08-2014, 12:18 PM
If I had a kid who was 13 and benching 205, I could care less what form he used.

THIS.

B&B--when he changes to bodybuilder form--do his #'s go down a lot?

bradandblake
07-08-2014, 12:19 PM
I spent many years coaching football from juniors to high school to semi-pro. If I had a kid who was 13 and benching 205, I could care less what form he used.

I wonder if the coaches can get 205?

Ray

Very strange isn't it? LOL

bradandblake
07-08-2014, 12:20 PM
THIS.

B&B--when he changes to bodybuilder form--do his #'s go down a lot?

He'll struggle with about 175/185 using bodybuilder form. I'm kind of guessing here though. His last bodybuilding form bench was 165, but he has progressed a lot since then.

ajdahlheimer
07-08-2014, 12:25 PM
Well either way, these coaches need to constructively tell him WHAT they want him to do and WHY they want him to do it. That is what a fkn COACH is supposed to do. So if they are shooting on him--you might want to have a talk w/them.

bradandblake
07-08-2014, 12:27 PM
Well either way, these coaches need to constructively tell him WHAT they want him to do and WHY they want him to do it. That is what a fkn COACH is supposed to do. So if they are shooting on him--you might want to have a talk w/them.

Agreed. That's my main beef.

My son is aching for me to assistant coach for strength and conditioning. I haven't decided.

ajdahlheimer
07-08-2014, 12:37 PM
My son is aching for me to assistant coach for strength and conditioning. I haven't decided.

More gym time is more gym time, bro.

Jbizzlechizzle
07-08-2014, 12:42 PM
He'll struggle with about 175/185 using bodybuilder form. I'm kind of guessing here though. His last bodybuilding form bench was 165, but he has progressed a lot since then.Interesting... I never knew there were different styles. The limited ROM really helps with big lifts - I guess that's why power lifters do it. ;) In any case, I think your son's coaches are jerks and could definitely communicate what they're expecting in a more productive manner. Keep encouraging your kid, it's looking like he'll be a beast if he sticks with it!

ajdahlheimer
07-08-2014, 12:46 PM
Interesting... I never knew there were different styles. The limited ROM really helps with big lifts - I guess that's why power lifters do it. ;) I

The vid he posted is actually really good. It explains the limited ROM but also how the powerlifting form actually works different muscles more then the traditional. So it's all about which muscles you want to strengthen more.

bradandblake
07-08-2014, 01:01 PM
Interesting... I never knew there were different styles. The limited ROM really helps with big lifts - I guess that's why power lifters do it. ;) In any case, I think your son's coaches are jerks and could definitely communicate what they're expecting in a more productive manner. Keep encouraging your kid, it's looking like he'll be a beast if he sticks with it!

Thanks man. Love my boys man... They are great kids and worth every moment.

bradandblake
07-08-2014, 01:10 PM
Here's my youngest. Doesn't he just look like a tough beast in the pink kayak?

http://imagecdn.bodybuilding.com/img/user_images/growable/2014/07/07/57052982/gallerypic/bUdScDDEzACyIGQxceGUueLgQaUgDSNYGMgL-610xh.jpg

ajdahlheimer
07-08-2014, 01:13 PM
Well your weight lifting belt is pink isn't it?

bradandblake
07-08-2014, 01:15 PM
Well your weight lifting belt is pink isn't it?

Hahahahahaha, boooooooooooooo.

Brackneyc
07-08-2014, 01:23 PM

Wow, seems extreme. You'd practically kill a person for that. FFS.

We have some seriously bad mfckers on this board.

acrawlingchaos
07-08-2014, 01:49 PM
Wow, seems extreme. You'd practically kill a person for that. FFS.Well, they DID ridicule his form AND sh*t on amino acids.... that's were I would have drawn the line.

We have some seriously bad mfckers on this board.What the f*ck did you just f*cking say about me, you little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Special Ed, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids on the candy drawer, and I have over 300 confirmed gold stars. I am trained in gorilla conversation and I'm the top crafter in the entire US education system. You are nothing to me but just another conversation doll. I will wipe you the f*ck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my f*ckng words. You think you can get away with saying that sh*t to me over the Internet? Think again, f*cker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of aspies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You're f*ckng dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can confuse you in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed conversation, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the Johnson School Gym and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little sh*t. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your f*cking tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will sh*t spaghetti all over you and you will drown in it. You're f*cking dead, kiddo.

sakoy
07-08-2014, 01:51 PM

If you have any time to help your son's team, that would be great. Your expertise would be invaluable and your son would be really proud.

My son is very talented at baseball and is doing extremely well as pitcher. Their weight training is excellent with proper form always. However, there were behavior issues with some of the players and the newest / inexperienced coach in the spring started subjectively playing favorites. I could not always attend every game but we had parents monitoring the situation. Some of us talked with the head coach several times but then we had to escalate the situation to the school administrators because of the inexperienced assistant coach's stupidity. We were finally vindicated when it was announced two weeks ago that the assistant coach was fired.

Dave76
07-08-2014, 01:57 PM
My son is very talented at baseball and is doing extremely well as pitcher. Their weight training is excellent with proper form always. However, there were behavior issues with some of the players and the newest / inexperienced coach in the spring started subjectively playing favorites. I could not always attend every game but we had parents monitoring the situation. Some of us talked with the head coach several times but then we had to escalate the situation to the school administrators because of the inexperienced assistant coach's stupidity. We were finally vindicated when it was announced two weeks ago that the assistant coach was fired.
It would have been a much better story if you'd kicked his ass and put him in ICU. Going through proper channels is no fun to read about.

acrawlingchaos
07-08-2014, 02:00 PM
But seriously OP, have you spoken with the coaches about it?

silverlightning
07-08-2014, 02:33 PM

Rant over.

as I re-read this on my laptop I can only say the coaches are idiots. they will do more harm then good; the coaches are their to coach and not discipline because a player isn't using the form they think is correct. and by making him do sprints and pushups is an injury waiting to happen. my son's S&C coach's training is centered to prevent injury.

your son will be a freshman?

Brackneyc
07-08-2014, 02:34 PM
Well, they DID ridicule his form AND sh*t on amino acids.... that's were I would have drawn the line.

What the f*ck did you just f*cking say about me, you little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Special Ed, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids on the candy drawer, and I have over 300 confirmed gold stars. I am trained in gorilla conversation and I'm the top crafter in the entire US education system. You are nothing to me but just another conversation doll. I will wipe you the f*ck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my f*ckng words. You think you can get away with saying that sh*t to me over the Internet? Think again, f*cker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of aspies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You're f*ckng dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can confuse you in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed conversation, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the Johnson School Gym and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little sh*t. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your f*cking tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will sh*t spaghetti all over you and you will drown in it. You're f*cking dead, kiddo.

I just checked myself into the ICU.

Nikonguy
07-08-2014, 02:35 PM
Sounds like his coaches want to see dem der NFL combine bench reps. :rolleyes:

NrtzrrsTYGE

bradandblake
07-08-2014, 02:38 PM
But seriously OP, have you spoken with the coaches about it?

Seriously, I respect my kids wishes and he doesn't want anything said. If I decide to be an assistant it won't be an issue anymore anyways.

bustasinclair
07-08-2014, 02:39 PM
Sounds like his coaches want to see dem der NFL combine bench reps. :rolleyes:

NrtzrrsTYGE

Yep, yep. That's what I was referring to in my earlier post. Hell, I only got 3 less reps than him with solid form. :D

I totally expected that guy to stand up and have a permanent concave bar impression across his chest, lol.

bradandblake
07-08-2014, 02:40 PM
as I re-read this on my laptop I can only say the coaches are idiots. they will do more harm then good; the coaches are their to coach and not discipline because a player isn't using the form they think is correct. and by making him do sprints and pushups is an injury waiting to happen. my son's S&C coach's training is centered to prevent injury.

your son will be a freshman?

He will be in 8th grade. I think we have a new crew of coaches to deal with this year.

silverlightning
07-08-2014, 02:42 PM
they start them early in the south.

bradandblake
07-08-2014, 02:44 PM
they start them early in the south.

Yeah we do man. This is Sooner country.

Guinea-pig
07-08-2014, 02:47 PM
It's totally awesome that your boy is out there getting after it.

Just my 2 cent !

I played some myself and did get a lot of extra drills cause of my attitude.

How's his attitude ?

silverlightning
07-08-2014, 02:53 PM

yup I saw sooner country in your sig. technically my son started school early so with the training he is doing he will have an advantage. granted he learns from it and progresses.

ajdahlheimer
07-08-2014, 02:57 PM

Yep. And UT is still crying about Adrian Peterson.

Hahahaha

bustasinclair
07-08-2014, 03:02 PM

Ahem....... :D

Oklahoma State Alum checking in.

Yeah, yeah, I know, Cowboys suck

bradandblake
07-08-2014, 03:51 PM
It's totally awesome that your boy is out there getting after it.

Just my 2 cent !

I played some myself and did get a lot of extra drills cause of my attitude.

How's his attitude ?

A bit of smack talker when he is right. Otherwise he really knows to keep his mouth shut.

Basically, I raise my kids, its ok to argue when you are right, but if you argue and are wrong, you'll just be another fool.

bradandblake
07-08-2014, 03:51 PM
yup I saw sooner country in your sig. technically my son started school early so with the training he is doing he will have an advantage. granted he learns from it and progresses.

I hope so. Its so fun watching the kids out do us. :)

bradandblake
07-08-2014, 03:52 PM
Ahem....... :D

Oklahoma State Alum checking in.

Yeah, yeah, I know, Cowboys suck

Nah I never beat on the ugly step child. That's just wrong.

jk....

so-tex
07-08-2014, 04:23 PM

Where 90% of the players are from Texas. ;).
Your kid has some mad strength for his age. Are the coaches only picking on your son? This is football, not ballet we're talking about here. :)

trickyB
07-08-2014, 04:45 PM
The only reason the coaches are giving your boy a hard time is because he is your son not one of theirs. Otherwise it would be different "gather round boys and watch ole junior show ya all how to bench".

Good luck.

DuracellBunny
07-08-2014, 04:55 PM
I just checked myself into the ICU.

Is that the Iron Charles Unit where the nurses make you want to say "dat ass" all day?

bradandblake
07-08-2014, 05:28 PM
Where 90% of the players are from Texas. ;).
Your kid has some mad strength for his age. Are the coaches only picking on your son? This is football, not ballet we're talking about here. :)

Who knows, I'm not there. It could plainly be that he is quite exceptional and they are just rubbing his ego down. LOL... Dad's hoping

OU's best players are from Texas... Sounds like Texas has a problem. ;)

bradandblake
07-08-2014, 05:29 PM
The only reason the coaches are giving your boy a hard time is because he is your son not one of theirs. Otherwise it would be different "gather round boys and watch ole junior show ya all how to bench".

Good luck.

Maybe. My son said one of the assistants came up and apologized after practice, for the behavior of the other coaches. This makes me believe they went a bit over the line then.

Brackneyc
07-08-2014, 06:38 PM
Is that the Iron Charles Unit where the nurses make you want to say "dat ass" all day?

Yes:). I have a long recovery ahead.

so-tex
07-08-2014, 07:11 PM
Who knows, I'm not there. It could plainly be that he is quite exceptional and they are just rubbing his ego down. LOL... Dad's hoping

OU's best players are from Texas... Sounds like Texas has a problem. ;)

Naw, the Aggies are currently getting the best players in Texas. ;).
Srs though, I played football from 6th grade through high school. Coaches don't soft pedal very many athletes. They're probably just trying to get the best out of your son. I remember those days well. I was called a losor, a drut, a sorry pos, grabbed by the helmet and thrown to the ground ext. don't even get me started on the extra carricullar things we had to do after practice if they felt we weren't giving it our all.

bradandblake
07-08-2014, 07:14 PM
Naw, the Aggies are currently getting the best players in Texas. ;).
Srs though, I played football from 6th grade through high school. Coaches don't soft pedal very many athletes. They're probably just trying to get the best out of your son. I remember those days well. I was called a losor, a drut, a sorry pos, grabbed by the helmet and thrown to the ground ext. don't even get me started on the extra carricullar things we had to do after practice if they felt we weren't giving it our all.

Yeah I get what you are saying. My kid was blowing it off so I guess I should too. He's quite resilient it seems.

NorwichGrad
07-09-2014, 10:55 AM
Your son is one strong dude!! Keep it up with his strength training.

Regarding his football coach, unfortunately, that is what happens when coaches play the role of both 'skill' and 'S&C' functions. In a D1 college or professional setting, fortunately, there is funding to have separate skill and S&C coaches.

I've been training a 15-year-old kid who wants to play football in September. I know absolutely nothing about skill development in football, or many other ball sports for that matter. So I tend to stick with what I know and never cross the line and pretend to be a skill coach. At any rate, the young man was berated last month by one of the football coaches at his high school. The reason? He was 'caught' doing clean and power jerks in the school gym. The football coach told him power jerks are not allowed in gym, only 'lunging jerks.' The kid is a power jerker because that is what he is comfortable with.

Yeah, I was like 'WTF is a lunging jerk?' I think the idiot coach meant 'split jerks.'

WAAAAAAPPPSSSSSSHHHHH.. That is the sound of my backhand slapping my lifter's football coach across the forehead.