PDA

View Full Version : Training after surgery.

bodyhard
07-08-2014, 05:48 AM
One of the muscle groups I found to be the hardest after my car accident to train was/is back.

I thought because of the amount of mass I lost it would be very difficult to attain that mass once again, but consistency at the gym is paying off.

This is a pic of my back last night.
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj74/bodyhard_2008/back2014_zpsd0d179c1.jpg (http://s269.photobucket.com/user/bodyhard_2008/media/back2014_zpsd0d179c1.jpg.html)

Here is a pic of my back when I started training again.
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj74/bodyhard_2008/backdbbi.jpg (http://s269.photobucket.com/user/bodyhard_2008/media/backdbbi.jpg.html)

And to put things into perspective for me I always take pics as the years go by.
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj74/bodyhard_2008/backprogress2014_zps0d07085a.jpg (http://s269.photobucket.com/user/bodyhard_2008/media/backprogress2014_zps0d07085a.jpg.html)

So stay consistent in the gym, this doesn't get any easier but you sure as hell can continue to make gains.

phukdahaters
07-08-2014, 05:55 AM
Looking at your back makes me wanna work harder keep it up man. I have no excuse to not get like that great work man!

ajdahlheimer
07-08-2014, 06:15 AM
What do you do for core back exercises/lifts, BH? I'd like to improve my back strength/appearance......

pastorgbc
07-08-2014, 06:20 AM
One of the muscle groups I found to be the hardest after my car accident to train was/is back.

I thought because of the amount of mass I lost it would be very difficult to attain that mass once again, but consistency at the gym is paying off.

This is a pic of my back last night.
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj74/bodyhard_2008/back2014_zpsd0d179c1.jpg (http://s269.photobucket.com/user/bodyhard_2008/media/back2014_zpsd0d179c1.jpg.html)

Here is a pic of my back when I started training again.
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj74/bodyhard_2008/backdbbi.jpg (http://s269.photobucket.com/user/bodyhard_2008/media/backdbbi.jpg.html)

And to put things into perspective for me I always take pics as the years go by.
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj74/bodyhard_2008/backprogress2014_zps0d07085a.jpg (http://s269.photobucket.com/user/bodyhard_2008/media/backprogress2014_zps0d07085a.jpg.html)

So stay consistent in the gym, this doesn't get any easier but you sure as hell can continue to make gains.

With a back like that, you need to get up on the stage, dude.

Several shows in Jersey and at Tribeca coming up.

Ray

raynerd
07-08-2014, 06:28 AM
Wow, very impressive , tuns of thickness and width! Inspired

bodyhard
07-08-2014, 07:41 AM
Thanks for the props guys.

For my back I do basic movements. My back routine is as follow;
Weighted pull ups 5 sets 10 reps each
Deadlift roughly 8 sets as I work my way up to singles
BB BOR 5 sets 8 - 10 reps
Close grip cable rows 5 sets 8 - 10 reps.

I really would like to get up on stage and compete but my legs are still behind. I thought they would be more symmetrical by now but they need more work still.

ajdahlheimer
07-08-2014, 07:47 AM

Sorry, what do these acronyms stand for?

bodyhard
07-08-2014, 07:55 AM
Barbell Bent Over Rows in my opinion if done correctly they are one if the better movements for back thickness

Firminator4
07-08-2014, 07:56 AM
I'm guessing Barbell Bent-Over Rows?

Fishman15
07-08-2014, 10:29 AM
Thanks for the props guys.

For my back I do basic movements. My back routine is as follow;
Weighted pull ups 5 sets 10 reps each
Deadlift roughly 8 sets as I work my way up to singles
Close grip cable rows 5 sets 8 - 10 reps.

I really would like to get up on stage and compete but my legs are still behind. I thought they would be more symmetrical by now but they need more work still.

Lookin strong BH! Over hand grip or underhand on the BB rows? Do you keep your back parallel to the floor or at an angle? I try to do parallel but is hard to do without low back pain. That kind of scares me with an artificial disc at L4-5.

I have not been able to work my shoulders properly because of my injuries since I got into the gym. Limits in shoulder strength and ROM have really been difficult to work around in the gym. Now that shoulder surgery is behind me I am challenging myself to turn my weakest body part into my strongest. It may take a while but I'll get there...

bodyhard
07-08-2014, 10:40 AM
Lookin strong BH! Over hand grip or underhand on the BB rows? Do you keep your back parallel to the floor or at an angle? I try to do parallel but is hard to do without low back pain. That kind of scares me with an artificial disc at L4-5.

I have not been able to work my shoulders properly because of my injuries since I got into the gym. Limits in shoulder strength and ROM have really been difficult to work around in the gym. Now that shoulder surgery is behind me I am challenging myself to turn my weakest body part into my strongest. It may take a while but I'll get there...

I don't do underhand grip on BOR, in my opinion it brings in the bicep into play way too much.

As for the form I do both, completely parallel to the floor very strict and chest up higher with some leg drive. I think it is important to do both.

Good luck on the shoulders

ajdahlheimer
07-08-2014, 10:44 AM
Is this vid the way you do them, BH?

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/bent-over-barbell-row

bodyhard
07-08-2014, 10:50 AM
Is this vid the way you do them, BH?

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/bent-over-barbell-row
I am at work and can't view it, I am doing back today so I will shoot a video

acrawlingchaos
07-08-2014, 10:53 AM
Solid progress and great thickness.

What are you doing with legs to bring them up?

bodyhard
07-08-2014, 10:59 AM
Solid progress and great thickness.

What are you doing with legs to bring them up?

Thanks man.

I have added frog hacksquats going up on my toes on the descend. I am also doing .20 to 50 rep squats.

silverlightning
07-08-2014, 11:01 AM
looking thick and joocy. how many calories you taking in? or do you not count?

Phattso
07-08-2014, 11:05 AM
Solid.

ajdahlheimer
07-08-2014, 11:11 AM
I am at work and can't view it, I am doing back today so I will shoot a video

Awesome. Really appreciate it.

Fishman15
07-08-2014, 11:35 AM
I am also doing .20 to 50 rep squats.

How many sets is that and at what % of your max squat? I will sometimes try and do 15 to 20 reps on my final 2 drop sets. Pouring sweat and gasping for air...good times!

bodyhard
07-08-2014, 11:58 AM
How many sets is that and at what % of your max squat? I will sometimes try and do 15 to 20 reps on my final 2 drop sets. Pouring sweat and gasping for air...good times!

I have no idea about the % I don't get so technical with my training. I normally will try 20 to 50 reps on my last set after I hit my target.

Caesura75
07-08-2014, 12:22 PM
Great progress BH. I took a photo of my back a few days ago and have noticed that it's getting thicker up top and around the traps (which incidentally, I don't train very often) but lacking the width I'd want to go with it. You've got it just as I'd like!

bodyhard
07-08-2014, 12:36 PM
Great progress BH. I took a photo of my back a few days ago and have noticed that it's getting thicker up top and around the traps (which incidentally, I don't train very often) but lacking the width I'd want to go with it. You've got it just as I'd like!
Post the pic you might just be your wrist critic

bodyhard
07-08-2014, 09:37 PM
My last two sets tonight of BOR.

As you can see, I use a loose movement and as I go heavier I use momentum. But I keep the tension on my lats throughout the movement.

185lbs for 8
Gmj9j6o_AXE

225lbs for 5
du5g6tAVIe0

bodyhard
07-09-2014, 06:22 AM
Here is another variation I do (stop and go) I did not do this last night, but I throw this in every other back workout along with a stricter movement and higher reps.

HJ3Yrvt4Jqw

1zRk04i-4jo

ajdahlheimer
07-09-2014, 06:39 AM
Thanks a lot BH. I have done upright row (with an ez-bar) for years. Never tried bent over row and would like to work it in to my program.

Do you/most people wear a belt doing them?

bodyhard
07-09-2014, 06:43 AM
Thanks a lot BH. I have done upright row (with an ez-bar) for years. Never tried bent over row and would like to work it in to my program.

I don't wear a belt, I don't see the need for a belt, but then again I don't wear a belt to squat nor to deadlift.

Upright rows does not hit the lats.

ajdahlheimer
07-09-2014, 06:57 AM
Upright rows does not hit the lats.

What about traditional overhand pull-ups?

JimmyJonny
07-09-2014, 07:16 AM
Damn BH, lookin good.

bodyhard
07-09-2014, 07:32 AM
What about traditional overhand pull-ups?

Yes!!! One of the best lat width movements are pull-ups.

But IMO you have to do them correctly if you want lat width too many times I see people "shoulder" dependent, meaning they sink in their chest tuck the elbows in front of the body.

The best way to contract the lats doing a pull up, is to keep the chest high, elbows behind the torso and arching your back while going up.

Damn BH, lookin good.

Thanks man.

silverlightning
07-09-2014, 08:49 AM
i gave you a compliment and asked a question. please respond. :)

bodyhard
07-09-2014, 08:57 AM
I stopped reading after joocy..

Just went back and saw you actually had a question.

I keep my calories at 3200.

Fishman15
07-09-2014, 10:58 AM
Huge ROM there...impressive. So do you find you have had better results going heavier with some momentum and a longer range of motion vs going lighter with a strict range of motion and no momentum? To me it looks like your back angle changes from 90 at the start of the rep to about 45 at the end. I have been doing them trying to keep my back a consistent angle through the rep but not sure if that is right after watching your vid.

Karl_Hungus
07-09-2014, 11:02 AM
Nice pics BH. I agree with you ... Even though I train mostly to increase strength, BOR has had added size to my back more effectively than any other exercise.

Completely different exercise. BOR is a back exercise, and an upright row is a shoulder exercise.

ajdahlheimer
07-09-2014, 11:07 AM
Completely different exercise. BOR is a back exercise, and an upright row is a shoulder exercise.

Well that would explain my strong shoulders and weaker back, brah.

Karl_Hungus
07-09-2014, 11:13 AM
Well that would explain my strong shoulders and weaker back, brah.

weighted pullups, BOR, heavy DB rows and deadlifts will fix that pretty quickly.

ajdahlheimer
07-09-2014, 11:17 AM
weighted pullups,

Any recommendations for a strap/chain for doing those? Never done them before either.

Karl_Hungus
07-09-2014, 11:40 AM
Any recommendations for a strap/chain for doing those? Never done them before either.

An Awesome exercise IMO. Now, I will admit that the way I do them is not typical. I've never liked weight belts.....I've tried them a few times and just never got the hang of using them. I actually use a DB. I set it on the ground, and grab it with my feet and then do the pullup. I've done them with 100 lb DB's, but the heaviest I do now is 80 lbs. It is nice because it forces you to avoid swinging in order to get momentum.

tobymax123
07-09-2014, 11:58 AM
Some gyms have a belt with a short chain or strap with a hook or loop where you can attach a dumbbell or plate to it. I've also done them like Karl, by setting a dumbbell upright on the ground below the pull up bar, and grabbing it between my feet.

I liked weighted pull ups until my elbow pain made me stop doing them. Now that my elbows are pain free, I'm cautiously testing the waters on pull ups again.

BH, as I said in the "The Week" thread, the new pic is awesome. I'm jealous of the biceps peaks. My biceps always look flat from the back, but I do have a bit of a peak from the front view.

ajdahlheimer
07-09-2014, 12:04 PM
I actually use a DB. I set it on the ground, and grab it with my feet and then do the pullup. I've done them with 100 lb DB's, but the heaviest I do now is 80 lbs. It is nice because it forces you to avoid swinging in order to get momentum.

That's initially what I thought of when thinking of how I could do them in my home-gym. Not sure if I have the coordination. LOL.

Fishman15
07-09-2014, 12:06 PM

Upright Rows - "Don't bring that bar past your nips...you will snap your fukcin chit up"

BiMAYJ1vqDI

ajdahlheimer
07-09-2014, 12:09 PM
Upright Rows - "Don't bring that bar past your nips...you will snap your fukcin chit up"

BiMAYJ1vqDI

Not sure if serious with that vid. Do you agree with it or are you making fun of them? Or both?

Karl_Hungus
07-09-2014, 12:11 PM
That's initially what I thought of when thinking of how I could do them in my home-gym. Not sure if I have the coordination. LOL.

It is a little awkward at first, but you get used to it quickly.

bodyhard
07-09-2014, 12:13 PM
Huge ROM there...impressive. So do you find you have had better results going heavier with some momentum and a longer range of motion vs going lighter with a strict range of motion and no momentum? To me it looks like your back angle changes from 90 at the start of the rep to about 45 at the end. I have been doing them trying to keep my back a consistent angle through the rep but not sure if that is right after watching your vid.

I wouldn't know because I have always incorporated the two, but using more weight with momentum has helped with the added mass/thickness and using a lighter weight with stricter form allows better contraction of the back muscle which is crucial for back development.

tobymax123
07-09-2014, 12:15 PM

Didn't watch the video, but upright rows nearly messed up my shoulders. Luckily I read a thread about it here and recognized that they were causing my shoulder pain, so I quit doing them before any damage was done. I can do every variation of bench pressing with bb or db, with no shoulder problems. Only upright rows and dips mess with me.

bodyhard
07-09-2014, 12:16 PM
Nice pics BH. I agree with you ... Even though I train mostly to increase strength, BOR has had added size to my back more effectively than any other exercise.

Missed this, yup IMO BOR should be a staple for anyone looking to add size/thickness to their back.

Also I should have elaborated on the upright rows. upright rows hit the side and rear delts and if you go higher you can bring in the traps, but they do nothing for the lats/back.

Fishman15
07-09-2014, 12:18 PM
I wouldn't know because I have always incorporated the two, but using more weight with momentum has helped with the added mass/thickness and using a lighter weight with stricter form allows better contraction of the back muscle which is crucial for back development.

Explained very well...thanks

ajdahlheimer
07-09-2014, 12:20 PM
Also I should have elaborated on the upright rows. upright rows hit the side and rear delts and if you go higher you can bring in the traps, but they do nothing for the lats/back.

Yeah, I do them much higher than the guy in the vid, but also tend to swing badly/use momentum.

Fishman15
07-09-2014, 12:20 PM
Not sure if serious with that vid. Do you agree with it or are you making fun of them? Or both?

Have never been able to do them because of my messed up shoulders. Just ran into the vid and it made me lol

ajdahlheimer
07-09-2014, 12:21 PM
Have never been able to do them because of my messed up shoulders. Just ran into the vid and it made me lol

Gotcha. I've been doing them above the nips for 10+ years and never had any shoulder problems.

bodyhard
07-09-2014, 12:26 PM
Yeah, I do them much higher than the guy in the vid, but also tend to swing badly/use momentum.

How much momentum do you use?

Can you post a video?

A little momentum to get the weight up is ok, but if you are using a tremendous amount of momentum and leaning way back just to get the weight up, that would be counterproductive because you would be taking the shoulders out of the movement.

ajdahlheimer
07-09-2014, 12:31 PM
How much momentum do you use?

It's a lot, bro. Enough to where I would be embarrassed to post a vid of it.

At least I think it's a lot. It's one of the few lifts I do that I actually am out of breath from doing immediately after and need to sit down. (As if I just finished a set of cleans).

bodyhard
07-09-2014, 12:37 PM
It's a lot, bro. Enough to where I would be embarrassed to post a vid of it.

Never be embarrassed to post a video man, never.

I posted this video of me doing seated mil press after my surgery, no shame in my game. Check out the 10lbs on each side.
Egq0uJ-4Ez8

Beside how are you suppose to learn what NOT to do?

ajdahlheimer
07-09-2014, 12:44 PM
Beside how are you suppose to learn what NOT to do?

That's kind of why I was asking you how to do your BOR. I'd like to replace the exercise I'm doing wrong with it.

Plus I don't want to give peeps here another open invitation to do a job on me after my seated mil press vid....

ajdahlheimer
07-09-2014, 12:50 PM
I would say I do them similar to this dude, except with much more weight.

Mt482NQN7x4

bodyhard
07-09-2014, 12:52 PM
That's kind of why I was asking you how to do your BOR. I'd like to replace the exercise I'm doing wrong with it.

Plus I don't want to give peeps here another open invitation to do a job on me after my seated mil press vid....

Dude f'ck what anyone here or anywhere else for that matter has to say, stay true to yourself and do you. If someone is giving you advice, take it for what its worth, if you don't see the need to incorporated into your training then don't

If someone is mocking you for your video tell them to shut the f'ck up and post one themselves.

But don't ever NOT post just because you think some f'cking guy on the internet is going to ridicule it.

ajdahlheimer
07-09-2014, 12:55 PM
But don't ever NOT post just because you think some f'cking guy on the internet is going to ridicule it.

Ahhight, deal. Just thought the last vid I posted made waves that weren't appreciated here........

bodyhard
07-09-2014, 12:57 PM
Ahhight, deal. Just thought the last vid I posted made waves that weren't appreciated here........

I didn't see it, what was it off?

Jtbny
07-09-2014, 01:00 PM
I stopped reading after joocy..

Fuken lol :D

Bah. People were giving you crap because you let it bother you. You are a strong mofo with big shoulders. They should be able to handle the razzing :p

John looking great and thanks for the vids.

Btw why is this thread in the misc?

ajdahlheimer
07-09-2014, 01:01 PM
I didn't see it, what was it off?

Seated OHP for 250x1. A bunch of pillow-biters got together and did a job on me on how there is no such thing as Seated OHP, it's really just an "extreme incline press".....

But I'm not bitter about it........... :D

Karl_Hungus
07-09-2014, 01:04 PM

Man....if you were talking about the overhead press video you posted, then I will note two things: 1) The criticism was pretty mild...nothing really worthy of getting upset about, and 2) You are overhead pressing more than every one of your critics, so that speaks volumes. Your OH press is good .... so clearly you are doing something right. Don't let random dipsh!ts on the internet get to you.

bodyhard
07-09-2014, 01:06 PM
Fuken lol :D

Bah. People were giving you crap because you let it bother you. You are a strong mofo with big shoulders. They should be able to handle the razzing :p

John looking great and thanks for the vids.

Btw why is this thread in the misc?

YW John.

I spend my time more on here ;)

Seated OHP for 250x1. A bunch of pillow-biters got together and did a job on me on how there is no such thing as Seated OHP, it's really just an "extreme incline press".....

But I'm not bitter about it........... :D

How can there be no such thing as an Seated OHP? If you are sitting down and you are pressing a weight over your head I am pretty sure it is a seated overhead press..

But regardless of someone arguing over the f'cking name of what it is, how was your form?

ajdahlheimer
07-09-2014, 01:10 PM
2) You are overhead pressing more than every one of your critics,....

Yeah, but in their minds, it isn't even an OHP, brah.

Karl_Hungus
07-09-2014, 01:13 PM
Yeah, but in their minds, it isn't even an OHP, brah.

They can call it whatever they like, but the fact is, you lowered weight down to your upper chest and pressed it overhead. All the word games in the world doesn't change that.

ajdahlheimer
07-09-2014, 01:16 PM
How can there be no such thing as an Seated OHP? If you are sitting down and you are pressing a weight over your head I am pretty sure it is a seated overhead press..

But regardless of someone arguing over the f'cking name of what it is, how was your form?

Here's the original thread, BH. I have a couple different vids in it (250x1 and 225x5). The smack talk begins shortly after the 250x1 vid.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=161389473&page=2&highlight=overhead+press+thread

Then the lead ass-clown put together an obvious shoot-thread in the Misc the next day, which is the mind-f_ck thread below....

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=162575441

bodyhard
07-09-2014, 01:16 PM
Where is the video?

Never mind you posted at the same time.

I remember that thread, so it was all because of your OHP in the other thread? Wow

ajdahlheimer
07-09-2014, 01:18 PM
Where is the video?

Cmi51yx-BSQ

dvroCGX1ecI

bodyhard
07-09-2014, 01:20 PM
Cmi51yx-BSQ

dvroCGX1ecI

Great lifting man!

regardless of what someone wants to call it :rolleyes:

ajdahlheimer
07-09-2014, 01:32 PM
They can call it whatever they like, but the fact is, you lowered weight down to your upper chest and pressed it overhead. All the word games in the world doesn't change that.

Listen Karl, I can handle small things such as Cass being disappointed I'm not black, but you don't shoot on a guy's lift vid, brah....... :D

bodyhard
07-09-2014, 01:38 PM
Listen Karl, I can handle small things such as Cass being disappointed I'm not black, but you don't shoot on a guy's lift vid, brah....... :D

Cass thought you were black too??

Damn!! :D :D

ajdahlheimer
07-09-2014, 01:39 PM
Cass thought you were black too??

Damn!! :D :D

No, I was kidding. Just Frozen.

bodyhard
07-09-2014, 03:44 PM
No, I was kidding. Just Frozen.

Ohhh I was about to put her on blast! :D :D

Cass40
07-09-2014, 04:11 PM
Hey, I like white meat :)

No disappointments here.

bodyhard
07-09-2014, 04:27 PM
Hey, I like white meat :)

No disappointments here.

<------ Doesn't have white meat :( :( :(

silverlightning
07-09-2014, 06:17 PM
strong lifts. no body english at all. let's call it a 90 degree high bench seated military press. :)

Cass40
07-09-2014, 06:57 PM
<------ Doesn't have white meat :( :( :(

No? Well you don't let me bulk so I don't know if brown meat fits my makros anymore.

silverlightning
07-09-2014, 07:26 PM
No? Well you don't let me bulk so I don't know if brown meat fits my makros anymore.

white meat is clean. but more expensive.

bodyhard
07-09-2014, 09:47 PM

I'll make an exception....