PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone else go through an Operation Mindcrime phase

JediRN
07-08-2014, 12:54 AM
First heard this in 1995.

Still my favorite workout music... the whole album start to finish.

whole thing below. It's a concept metal metal work.

HfUKgqEJMq0

Warning: Can lead to obsession.

Karl_Hungus
07-08-2014, 01:20 AM
Yes -- One of my favorite albums ever. Discovered it in 1989. Still listen to it semi-regularly.

Paulie_G
07-08-2014, 07:05 AM
Yes. After hearing "Eyes of a Stranger", in 1989, I was hooked. Queensryche albums were tops on my playlist through Promise land until the late 90's. Later albums after DeGarmo left the band were just awful. I also became bored of progressive rock/metal by 98-99, so it didn't get much play after that. I do still throw in Mindcrime every once in awhile.

Also should note that I saw Queensryche live in the early 90's, and had a chance to meet and talk to Geoff Tate. Seemed like a nice guy.

MrNismo
07-08-2014, 07:46 AM
Loved that whole album but 'The Needle Lies' was probably my favorite. I saw Queensryche perform the whole Mindcrime album in Seattle about 10 years ago in a fairly small theater and it was awesome. Geoff was still hitting those high notes, or rather more that high wail I guess you'd call it!

silverlightning
07-08-2014, 08:03 AM
that album(or cassette at the time) got me through Operation Dessert Storm. i listened to it again last year and it's always like listening to it for the first time.

tlema1
07-08-2014, 08:45 AM
I have several tracks from that CD in my workout playlist

Karl_Hungus
07-08-2014, 11:27 AM
Yes. After hearing "Eyes of a Stranger", in 1989, I was hooked. Queensryche albums were tops on my playlist through Promise land until the late 90's. Later albums after DeGarmo left the band were just awful.

"Awful" is being too kind. Although Empire was a huge success and an OK album, it was clear that Geoff Tate lost some of his ability. After buying Promised Land, I called it quits for Queensryche....I hated that album. Everything after that just got worse and worse....and I read an interview recently where Tate said he basically wants to make elevator music. One reviewer summed it up nicely when describing one of their recent albums: "Queensryche [have] killed their career. With this latest album, they've dimmed the lights, drawn back the blinds, put on some romantic music, and have begun sexually molesting their career's corpse."

Requitor
07-08-2014, 12:46 PM
Mindcrime is my favorite album of all time.

djflex
07-08-2014, 01:27 PM
It is a great album.

fpena
07-08-2014, 01:59 PM
Love the Mindcrime album and coincidentally was listening to the Operation Mindcrime II CD this past weekend.

That one has some good songs on the first half but then turns into some weird chanting and slow song combination towards the end.

Not as good as the first but does a great job finishing out the storyline.

JediRN
07-08-2014, 03:38 PM
Loved that whole album but 'The Needle Lies' was probably my favorite. I saw Queensryche perform the whole Mindcrime album in Seattle about 10 years ago in a fairly small theater and it was awesome. Geoff was still hitting those high notes, or rather more that high wail I guess you'd call it!
I was caller 9 and got to play softball with them in 1995 or 96ish when they toured for Promised Land. They would play charity games in the cities that they had an off day in. They were all really cool. DeGarmo wasn't there though as he flew back to Seattle to be with his family, which I thought was pretty cool

"Awful" is being too kind. Although Empire was a huge success and an OK album, it was clear that Geoff Tate lost some of his ability. After buying Promised Land, I called it quits for Queensryche....I hated that album. Everything after that just got worse and worse....and I read an interview recently where Tate said he basically wants to make elevator music. One reviewer summed it up nicely when describing one of their recent albums: "Queensryche [have] killed their career. With this latest album, they've dimmed the lights, drawn back the blinds, put on some romantic music, and have begun sexually molesting their career's corpse."
I liked Promised Land at the time, I was going through an identity crisis at the time and a lot of it related. The juxtapostion of Mindcrime and Promised land really resonated with me. LAter, I got into their earlier stuff, which was pretty good.
Really can't do Promised Land these days and everything else just kinda sucks. From what I've read, Geoff has become a douche. It was never the same without DeGarmo though. He just had that deepness that made really good music meaningful. It sad that they turned out the eat that they did.

I listened too it yesterday cover to cover for the first time in years. It is still so relevant to today.

Religion and sex are powerplays
Manipulate the people for the money they pay
Selling skin, selling God
The numbers look the same on their credit cards
Politicians say no to drugs
While we pay for wars in South America

Fighting fire with empty words
While the banks get fat
And the poor stay poor
And the rich get rich
And the cops get paid
To look away
As the one percent rules America

Thanks all, cool to know that I'm not the only one who dug their music.