PDA

View Full Version : F4U or P51D?

SP1966
07-07-2014, 08:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVAEbMcQ-t8

I've always thought the F4U was the coolest WWII fighter!! Awesome video though, I'm glad we still have some of those two airworthy!!!

ArchAngel'73
07-07-2014, 08:30 PM
The Corsair was classified as a "Fighter-Bomber" and the Mustang a "Fighter".
BIG difference.
Apples vs. oranges.

Both were top of their classes.

I think the Corsair looks neater but can't argue the Mustang was the most effective fighter of WW2.

Richie71
07-07-2014, 11:29 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/95/Supermarine_Spitfire_Mk_XVI_NR.jpg
Eliptical wings beats all else, although I understand the Hurricane shot down more opponents, and was cheaper to produce.

eomrat
07-08-2014, 06:46 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/95/Supermarine_Spitfire_Mk_XVI_NR.jpg
Eliptical wings beats all else, although I understand the Hurricane shot down more opponents, and was cheaper to produce.

For pure aesthetics? F4U. Hands down.

Supposedly they were a bitch to fly.

deadwoodgregg
07-08-2014, 07:05 AM
All three were beauties IMO. Takes deep pockets to maintain one today. Thank you to those that preserve our history's flying treasures.

JediRN
07-08-2014, 07:25 AM
Clearly Anna Y at 2:29

Nikonguy
07-08-2014, 08:04 AM
The Corsair was one of the only scale models I actually complete so imma have to go with the Corsair.

Blew it up with an M-80 a few years later :(

paolo59
07-08-2014, 09:23 AM
There were some beautiful aircraft in the Second World War. The P-51 Mustang came into full production towards the end of the war if I'm not mistaken. It looked like a 'hotrod!' The Spitfire was just an elegant machine! Deadly. The P-58 Lightning was not all that pretty, but it always captured my imagination. I believe it saw much more action in the Pacific than in Europe.

Dave76
07-08-2014, 09:38 AM
The Commemorative Air Force has flown to Sheppard AFB on several occasions. They flew directly over my house about 10 years ago. I spent about 15 minutes gawking at the display of WWII aircraft.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commemorative_Air_Force

paolo59
07-08-2014, 09:47 AM
The Commemorative Air Force has flown to Sheppard AFB on several occasions. They flew directly over my house about 10 years ago. I spent about 15 minutes gawking at the display of WWII aircraft.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commemorative_Air_Force

The Confederate Air Force has moved to Dallas from West, Texas. They're now located at Dallas Executive Airport not 10 minutes away from me. I've not gotten over there yet to check things out, but they've got a good number of 'war-birds.' I saw a P-51 flying around back in June. Pretty neat to look up over your neighborhood and see one of those vintage planes in the sky!

LOL I guess they've changed their name. I believe it was formerly the 'Confederate Air Force.' Commemorative is what they go by now. Is that the same organization?

Dave76
07-08-2014, 10:01 AM
LOL I guess they've changed their name. I believe it was formerly the 'Confederate Air Force.' Commemorative is what they go by now. Is that the same organization?
Yes, it was the Confederate Air Force and that's exactly what I would have typed if I hadn't googled them and saw the name change. Everyone in the AF is still a Colonel, though.

Their B17 was on display a few years ago and I toured it. All I can say is that the ball turret gunner had to be a really small guy.

paolo59
07-08-2014, 10:07 AM
Yes, it was the Confederate Air Force and that's exactly what I would have typed if I hadn't googled them and saw the name change. Everyone in the AF is still a Colonel, though.

Their B17 was on display a few years ago and I toured it. All I can say is that the ball turret gunner had to be a really small guy.

I intend to get over there. I believe they've got plans for some new hangars. They've certainly got the room over there for construction. LOL Some of the neighbors threw a big stink when they relocated. Fearful of noise I guess. I'm happy to have them in the neighborhood! It's not like they're going to be taking off and landing 25 times a day.

JediRN
07-08-2014, 03:50 PM

Don't even get me started on the B-17. I have so much respect for it's history and those that flew in it.

The Corsair was one of the only scale models I actually complete so imma have to go with the Corsair.

Growing up, my brothers and me had almost every WWII plane available to make as models. I loved the German Stukkas. Putting a whistle on it so that it made that distinctive sound when diving was just epic.

If I had to pick just one, I'd go with the F4U. It just looked boss, and so much of my childhood involved me playing with models of Corsair and Zeros while pretending to be in the Black Sheep Squadron.

Damn you OP. This is just the kind of question that will challenge my identity for months to come. It's like making me choose between my two sons.

negged for the mind fuqing question :)

deadwoodgregg
07-08-2014, 04:19 PM
Don't even get me started on the B-17. I have so much respect for it's history and those that flew in it.My business partner's father flew B-17s but was just young enough that he did not see combat duty by the war's end. He ended up flying troops around Europe and North Africa immediately after the war in stripped down B-17s. So his tour of duty allowed him to see those places during peacetime.

SP1966
07-08-2014, 04:41 PM

I used to hang mine from the ceiling and shoot them with my BB gun! No big loss as I was a terrible model builder, I didn't have the patience. I once built a huge Super Fortress model in one afternoon, it fell apart by evening!! LOL

keyboardworkout
07-09-2014, 08:54 AM
Who was Dora?

QKafbj_RqgY

mslman71
07-09-2014, 10:18 AM
I think nothing was more beautiful than the Spitfire.

As for looks, probably the F4. I can't recall seeing one fly, however. There's a guy nearby that has a P51 that he flies over campus every now and again and it brings people out of their buildings everywhere. The sound is just fantastic.

The reno air races are a great to get a sense of what some of these looked like in action. The sound and site of them coming over the stands before they drop into the groove is breathtaking.

mslman71
07-09-2014, 10:20 AM
The Confederate Air Force has moved to Dallas from West, Texas. They're now located at Dallas Executive Airport not 10 minutes away from me. I've not gotten over there yet to check things out, but they've got a good number of 'war-birds.' I saw a P-51 flying around back in June. Pretty neat to look up over your neighborhood and see one of those vintage planes in the sky!

It'll always be the Confederate Air Force :)