PDA

View Full Version : I can't seem to lose fat...but I can't gain any either. Should I just gain muscle?

NotSoFitGuy
07-07-2014, 07:06 PM
Hi all. I'm a 15 year old newbie to working out and trying to be healthier. I've been experimenting with my diet for months now, trying to find the "perfect" nutrition for me and my lifestyle. I've reached a halt in weight at 85kg. Long story short, I've found that losing fat is very challenging for me but gaining fat is almost just as difficult. Gaining strength and muscle however is a walk in the park (compared to the former), assuming I push myself to the limit at every workout session. No matter what kind of food I eat, as long as I don't eat until bursting point, I will not gain fat (but I will gain muscle). Of course, that doesn't mean I can just eat junk though. If I eat healthier I generally feel better. So far I've decided to just eat food that doesn't leave me feeling bloated and sick, and so that has left me with simple meals such as a large chunk of meat with a portion of mixed vegetables being the base of my daily diet.

So here's my question: if I just steadily bulk and continue to gain muscle and strength, while maintaining this amount of fat that I currently have, will the amount of muscle 'fill out' and 'even out' the fat? For example, I have some chest fat. If I build up my chest muscles will the chest fat be less noticeable? Or will I still look like a fat slob even if I get a bigger back and limbs (most of my fat is stored on my belly and some on my chest)? If anyone's had experience with 'clean bulking' I'd really appreciate some feedback.

cls91
07-07-2014, 07:12 PM
You need to be in a calorie deficit to lose fat (weight in general).

But you're 15, last thing you should worry about is being in a calorie deficit unless you are very overweight/obese. Otherwise, just let your hormones do their thing and keep on growing. Keep eating those foods that make you feel good; a diet with less processed/refined foods will always be best.

If you keep gaining weight you won't get 'leaner', but you will likely look much better since there will be more muscle underneath that fat. Just keep eating. lifting. sleeping. If you find your gaining weight too quickly, just reduce portion sizes.

No need to complicate it any more than that at your age.

NotSoFitGuy
07-07-2014, 08:30 PM
You need to be in a calorie deficit to lose fat (weight in general).

But you're 15, last thing you should worry about is being in a calorie deficit unless you are very overweight/obese. Otherwise, just let your hormones do their thing and keep on growing. Keep eating those foods that make you feel good; a diet with less processed/refined foods will always be best.

If you keep gaining weight you won't get 'leaner', but you will likely look much better since there will be more muscle underneath that fat. Just keep eating. lifting. sleeping. If you find your gaining weight too quickly, just reduce portion sizes.

No need to complicate it any more than that at your age.
Okay, will do, thanks. I guess some walking and steady cardio would also help with the fat maintenance?

cls91
07-07-2014, 08:54 PM
Okay, will do, thanks. I guess some walking and steady cardio would also help with the fat maintenance?

Not directly, no. But like I said, don't overthink things. Eat. Lift. Sleep. Repeat. If you are gaining weight too quickly, cut back on portion sizes. If you aren't gaining weight and you want to be, increase portion sizes. Focus on eating whole foods, be active, social, and enjoy growing over the next few years. Worry about the finer details later on.

NotSoFitGuy
07-07-2014, 09:31 PM
Not directly, no. But like I said, don't overthink things. Eat. Lift. Sleep. Repeat. If you are gaining weight too quickly, cut back on portion sizes. If you aren't gaining weight and you want to be, increase portion sizes. Focus on eating whole foods, be active, social, and enjoy growing over the next few years. Worry about the finer details later on.
Alright, sounds good and simple. Will do.