PDA

View Full Version : Six pack through diet only?

J3456
07-06-2014, 08:52 AM
Hi,

I'm currently about 190lbs and 6' tall, but have been cutting my weight down from 220lbs. I would say my body type is somewhere between a mesomorph and an endomorph. I have a very large bone structure, but most of my fat seems to be carried under my abs (whatever size I tend to be, my stomach is always quite solid).

I'm reasonably active, but the only exercise I tend to do is walking. This will be over fairly long distances and at as high a speed as I can maintain. I currently do no weight training and haven't before.

I would like to end up with a toned physique, but am not necessary looking to build up a lot of muscle.

I understand you can't build muscle during a cut, so if I carry on with my diet and cardio, will I eventually end up with a six pack?

The thing confusing me is that the Ab challenges I always see "Get a six pack in six weeks" etc, always seem to include a lot of weight training, Ab exercises and diet. If it's impossible to build muscle on a diet, why is there the need for weight training and Ab exercises?

Thanks

Mrpb
07-06-2014, 08:58 AM
I understand you can't build muscle during a cut

Incorrect. Beginners can typically build some muscle during a cut.

so if I carry on with my diet and cardio, will I eventually end up with a six pack?

This is what a six pack without sufficient muscle mass looks like.

http://ripmacdre415.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/balejuice1.jpg

legitsrs
07-06-2014, 09:27 AM
Hi,

I'm currently about 190lbs and 6' tall, but have been cutting my weight down from 220lbs. I would say my body type is somewhere between a mesomorph and an endomorph. I have a very large bone structure, but most of my fat seems to be carried under my abs (whatever size I tend to be, my stomach is always quite solid).

I'm reasonably active, but the only exercise I tend to do is walking. This will be over fairly long distances and at as high a speed as I can maintain. I currently do no weight training and haven't before.

I would like to end up with a toned physique, but am not necessary looking to build up a lot of muscle.

I understand you can't build muscle during a cut, so if I carry on with my diet and cardio, will I eventually end up with a six pack?

The thing confusing me is that the Ab challenges I always see "Get a six pack in six weeks" etc, always seem to include a lot of weight training, Ab exercises and diet. If it's impossible to build muscle on a diet, why is there the need for weight training and Ab exercises?

Thanks
Don't do it OP, you'll end up like me!
http://i.imgur.com/OqlENWI.png

J3456
07-06-2014, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the replies.

Is it worth adding in some ab exercises now? Or shall I continue with my diet and then once I reach a certain point, build up my calories and add in exercises then?

My TDEE is anywhere from 2450-2900 (I'm never sure whether to say light or moderate exercise as I exercise only a couple of times per week, but they're 10 mile walks which last between 2 to 2.5 hours).

I'm currently eating 2000 calories a day, the majority of which is quite clean and healthy. I'm eating a lot of eggs and Quorn for protein, together with rice, potato and vegetables whilst drinking only water and espresso.

Mrpb
07-06-2014, 11:03 AM
Why don't your start a proven beginners program for weight lifting. It will have so many benefits. Most importantly it will increase your LBM. This will allow you to lose more body fat while eating more.

Also, if you're doing heavy squats and dead lifts your hitting your abs hard making separate abs exercises redundant.

gbullock32
07-06-2014, 01:03 PM
Why don't your start a proven beginners program for weight lifting. It will have so many benefits. Most importantly it will increase your LBM. This will allow you to lose more body fat while eating more.

Also, if you're doing heavy squats and dead lifts your hitting your abs hard making separate abs exercises redundant.I agree with this mostly, but not the bolded. Compounds may hit the abs very well but they are a muscle group like any other and can still benefit from an isolation or 2; not saying it's absolutely necessary but it can help.

Any good program that focuses on compounds would definitely be better than doing just ab exercises though.

Mrpb
07-07-2014, 01:02 AM
Compounds may hit the abs very well but they are a muscle group like any other and can still benefit from an isolation or 2; not saying it's absolutely necessary but it can help.

I would agree for a more advanced lifter at lower body fat, probably not the OP.