PDA

View Full Version : So I go out and win a '59 Ford at an auction site....

beachguy498
07-05-2014, 01:34 PM
This is a '59 Ford Custom (no frills Galaxie), OG came with a 6-banger and 3 on the tree, less the engine and transmission. Car looks really solid and is located in Denver. Pluses, minimum of rust, clean title, it is in 1 piece, already has the 3 pedals in place. Won it at pretty low bid of $2550 so I have room for things that may come up.

Plans are to get it home and clean it up between now and the fall, make a list of anything missing. Seller knows someone with parts and will put me in touch with him. I was looking for a good project and will be selling off my Chevy stuff to make room. I'm in touch with 2 recommended shippers (from HAMB board) for quotes.

Plans are to fit it with a relatively mild 460, 4-speed toploader and either a Detroit locker rear or a spool and see how it behaves. The front brakes will be converted to disc. I needed a good project.

Rob

SP1966
07-05-2014, 01:53 PM
Buy a Ford sell a Chevy, congrats!!

Dave1958
07-05-2014, 02:43 PM
Everything you need to restore you can buy on internet. A couple of issues you need to be aware. You can easily put 3-5000 easily into this car and it will only be worth 2500. 59 galaxies aren't popular in the street rod set, explaining the value. People that want them are people that grew up with one in the family or their dad had one. The other thing is restore it with a Chevrolet engine. Fords have too many "quirks". One model year may have 3 different carbs, two different piston sizes and fur different transmissions. Make your life simple if you are changing the drive train. Almost all street rods have Chevrolet drivetrains regardless of the emblem on the body. Been there done than and have several of the t shorts

beachguy498
07-05-2014, 05:01 PM
Everything you need to restore you can buy on internet. A couple of issues you need to be aware. You can easily put 3-5000 easily into this car and it will only be worth 2500. 59 galaxies aren't popular in the street rod set, explaining the value. People that want them are people that grew up with one in the family or their dad had one. The other thing is restore it with a Chevrolet engine. Fords have too many "quirks". One model year may have 3 different carbs, two different piston sizes and fur different transmissions. Make your life simple if you are changing the drive train. Almost all street rods have Chevrolet drivetrains regardless of the emblem on the body. Been there done than and have several of the t shorts

My dad had a '59 many years ago, I always liked the cool factor of something a little unusual. I have a rough cap of $10k to complete it, but should be able to come in under that. I have Chevy engines on hand, which I will sell to finance the project. I'm familiar with the Ford 460, so that's my choice. If a 351C pops up, I'd consider that. For carbs, I have a couple of Holleys put away and I can go with a 2BBL or 4BBL. I'm open to having an engine rebuilt or buying a crate long block.

I have no intention to ever sell it. This is THE car forever.

Corbi
07-05-2014, 05:03 PM
My dad had a '59 many years ago, I always liked the cool factor of something a little unusual. I have a rough cap of $10k to complete it, but should be able to come in under that. I have Chevy engines on hand, which I will sell to finance the project. I'm familiar with the Ford 460, so that's my choice. If a 351C pops up, I'd consider that. For carbs, I have a couple of Holleys put away and I can go with a 2BBL or 4BBL. I'm open to having an engine rebuilt or buying a crate long block.

A crate Coyote 302 with FI. 420 hp and dead nuts reliable, would be a bitchin restomod.

Old-Time-Lifter
07-05-2014, 05:18 PM
We had a Mercury with a 460 in it years ago. Thing could suck your eyeballs back into your sockets. ;)

One of these days I'll buy a 79 cougar to restore. I have the one I had from College but it's gotten almost too far gone to bother with... of course if I hit the lottery it will be restored pronto. ;)

Good luck and enjoy!

My first car was a 66 Galaxie 500 with a 352 Police Interceptor btw. :)

SP1966
07-05-2014, 05:51 PM
A crate Coyote 302 with FI. 420 hp and dead nuts reliable, would be a bitchin restomod.

Did you miss the $10k limit?

whatevergirl
07-05-2014, 06:18 PM
I'm not a big car enthusiast, but I'll wish you congrats! :D
Nice to hear good news happening for you.

DirtyD79
07-05-2014, 09:05 PM

Cool, It's always fun to roll up in something you don't see 20 other guys already brought to the cruise. My father's restoring a 59 Plymouth Savoy. It's got the flathead 6 cylinder and the three on the tree and it's painted Blue Metallic. You get people comin' up even if it's just to see what it is.

Old-Time-Lifter
07-05-2014, 09:11 PM
Cool, It's always fun to roll up in something you don't see 20 other guys already brought to the cruise. My father's restoring a 59 Plymouth Savoy. It's got the flathead 6 cylinder and the three on the tree and it's painted Blue Metallic. You get people comin' up even if it's just to see what it is.

why so red??

SP1966
07-05-2014, 10:43 PM
why so red??

Couldn't have been all that red.

beachguy498
07-06-2014, 04:28 AM
I had gone through a Ford phase many years back. '64 Galaxies, Fairlanes, big block Mustangs. I had a stock pile of 352 (also a complete 1958 352 PI), 390 and 406 parts, also lots of goodies for the Mustang GT with the 390. Which were practically given away after my 1978 divorce. I'm fortunate that I found a place to store the Mustang.

The '59 Ford is a little different, but not that much different. Huge plusses, the bumpers look good and the body is straight. All the parts I need to fit the 460 into it are available (from Crites Ford) and so are headers. I know of a HAMB alliance vendor that sells the disc brake conversion kit (Scarebird). I expect to have to do most of the wiring over, kits are available.

Like I said, plans for this year are to sort it out and see what I need. The crate 302 Corbi mentioned is an option, but I'd rather have something more old school like a 429 or 460, I'm sure those are available too.

Old-Time-Lifter
07-06-2014, 06:26 AM
I had gone through a Ford phase many years back. '64 Galaxies, Fairlanes, big block Mustangs. I had a stock pile of 352 (also a complete 1958 352 PI), 390 and 406 parts, also lots of goodies for the Mustang GT with the 390. Which were practically given away after my 1978 divorce. I'm fortunate that I found a place to store the Mustang.

The '59 Ford is a little different, but not that much different. Huge plusses, the bumpers look good and the body is straight. All the parts I need to fit the 460 into it are available (from Crites Ford) and so are headers. I know of a HAMB alliance vendor that sells the disc brake conversion kit (Scarebird). I expect to have to do most of the wiring over, kits are available.

Like I said, plans for this year are to sort it out and see what I need. The crate 302 Corbi mentioned is an option, but I'd rather have something more old school like a 429 or 460, I'm sure those are available too.

We had a mercury with a 429 at one time too. Did some crazy stupid stuff with that car and am lucky to be alive actually. :) Lots of driving 100mph on gravel roads with that thing....

beachguy498
07-07-2014, 05:37 AM
We had a mercury with a 429 at one time too. Did some crazy stupid stuff with that car and am lucky to be alive actually. :) Lots of driving 100mph on gravel roads with that thing....

Shoot... the motor for my first stock car came out of a '69 Marquis, a 429 too. It sure hauled ass. We slid a race cam into it, replaced the head gaskets and a few other goodies. Good memories from those times.

ironwill2008
07-07-2014, 06:10 AM
I'm a Chevy guy, but I'll still advise you to go with a Ford in a Ford, at least for your Galaxie. And if you're building a cruiser/driver, big cubes (the 460 sounds about right), moderate compression and cam are the reliable way to go.

GL.

CropDusterMan
07-07-2014, 07:54 AM
Man, for a second there, I thought I was on a different forum! I just sold my 1966 Ford F250 truck that I had restored, and frequented a forum there....
as far as an engine goes, I'd lean towards a 302 and C4 AOD (pre-'94)...the 302 is such a great motor for aftermarket customization/parts, and they are
cheap to work on. I will qualify my use of "cheap" though...I'm used to wrenching on turbine helicopter engines, and an overhaul on them costs around $90K!

A friend put a 302/C4 combo in his '66 F100, and it was fuel injected (out of a t-boned '94 Mustang)...it took us a week to do the wiring harness, and fuel tank/tank
relocation...but it is a great motor, and he gets a solid 15mpg's with it. I converted my truck to discs...not sure on the Galaxies, but I'm sure there are
bolt in's from later models that share the same frame?..also a plethora of aftermarket kits. With the 66 F250's, you could use discs from up to 1979's...direct bolt in.

Buy a good reman'd dual master and reline the brakes...going larger than a 302, such as a 390, is going to cost a mint to run with fuel these days.

Weird, I went from thinking about strength in another thread to talking engines. Horsepower of a different kind. ;o)

Guinea-pig
07-07-2014, 10:20 AM
I hear you CDM !

Dad drove around in a 1968 LTD Galaxie two door with hideway head lights with that 390 you mention.

I was 8 years old , I'd see him do burn outs all the time talking about smoking the tires.

:)

bodyhard
07-07-2014, 11:49 AM
I must be the weakest man ever. I don't know how you are doing things with your wife passing away. I know I would be a mess if Patty was to pass away God forbid. I don't think I could function mentally.

I honestly don't know how you are doing it

Old-Time-Lifter
07-07-2014, 12:09 PM
I hear you CDM !

Dad drove around in a 1968 LTD Galaxie two door with hideway head lights with that 390 you mention.

I was 8 years old , I'd see him do burn outs all the time talking about smoking the tires.

:)

I had a 2wd 1975 F250 with a 390 in it. That truck could fly down the interstate. I used to never let a chevy truck get to my exit ahead of me. No matter how far ahead of me it was if I saw it I floored it to get to the exit first. I was a stupid teenager. ;)

Last I knew my brothers still had it as a field truck back home.

Guinea-pig
07-07-2014, 12:52 PM
I had a 2wd 1975 F250 with a 390 in it. That truck could fly down the interstate. I used to never let a chevy truck get to my exit ahead of me. No matter how far ahead of me it was if I saw it I floored it to get to the exit first. I was a stupid teenager. ;)

Last I knew my brothers still had it as a field truck back home.

Your story reminds me of the old ford commercial

The one were a ford truck had a Chevy across it's box and towing a dodge truck up a bolder hill.

I was raised out in the country my self.

I'm a big fan of Mr Majestyk, on how he drove that ford truck.:)

beachguy498
07-08-2014, 08:53 PM
I must be the weakest man ever. I don't know how you are doing things with your wife passing away. I know I would be a mess if Patty was to pass away God forbid. I don't think I could function mentally.

I honestly don't know how you are doing it

You're good, believe me. I need something to focus on that is positive. I know my way around cars so I'm going back to my roots. I have been cleaning up things around the house and it really gets to me... the cards... the last book Barbara was reading (book mark still in place...) and sometimes I just have to get up and walk out of the house. Mentally I am toast for the most part. The house looks like sh!t, but I'm working on that. Still dealing with insurance, getting things put into my name, canceling this and that. It adds up. Got the finances figured out finally. So the car just may preserve my sanity.

beachguy498
07-08-2014, 08:56 PM
I'm a Chevy guy, but I'll still advise you to go with a Ford in a Ford, at least for your Galaxie. And if you're building a cruiser/driver, big cubes (the 460 sounds about right), moderate compression and cam are the reliable way to go.

GL.

Been screwing around with thinking of a 350 or 396 Chevy in the car. I have an entire drive train either way. All I would need to do is go with a front-sump oil pan for the 350 option. I really can't say much until the car is parked in my driveway and I go over it.

ironwill2008
07-09-2014, 07:14 AM
Been screwing around with thinking of a 350 or 396 Chevy in the car. I have an entire drive train either way. All I would need to do is go with a front-sump oil pan for the 350 option. I really can't say much until the car is parked in my driveway and I go over it.

That's certainly your choice; if you were building a '32, I'd be all over putting Bowtie power in there.

The Galaxie is just.....different, at least IMO. I'd want to see a Blue Oval big-block in there. What would be really cool would be either a 406 with the old original tri-power or a 427 side-oiler with 2x4s. Both of those motors are scarce as hen's teeth these days though, and it would take a pile of $$$ to put one together. 460's, OTOH, are relatively easy to find in junk yards, and internals are easy to get. Ford may even offer a crate 460.

Again, it's your car. That's the neat thing about building cars (especially old cars/hot rods); they're a blank canvas. :)

beachguy498
07-09-2014, 11:32 AM
That's certainly your choice; if you were building a '32, I'd be all over putting Bowtie power in there.

The Galaxie is just.....different, at least IMO. I'd want to see a Blue Oval big-block in there. What would be really cool would be either a 406 with the old original tri-power or a 427 side-oiler with 2x4s. Both of those motors are scarce as hen's teeth these days though, and it would take a pile of $$$ to put one together. 460's, OTOH, are relatively easy to find in junk yards, and internals are easy to get. Ford may even offer a crate 460.

Again, it's your car. That's the neat thing about building cars (especially old cars/hot rods); they're a blank canvas. :)

If I were to go for a 406 tripower, I'd be blowing the budget. The Chevy would piss off a lot of people though, may be worth it. I'll have to sort the car out first, got a good description but I still haven't seen it up close.

Dave1958
07-09-2014, 11:56 AM
Only thing I will say when you say you want to keep forever. Forever is about 10 years. Over time you do get tired of thing. I had a 49 Chevy, that was stock and immaculate. Had it for 10 yearish. Decided I needed money because I was driving it less and less. Hope forever last longer than it did for me

beachguy498
07-10-2014, 04:54 AM
Only thing I will say when you say you want to keep forever. Forever is about 10 years. Over time you do get tired of thing. I had a 49 Chevy, that was stock and immaculate. Had it for 10 yearish. Decided I needed money because I was driving it less and less. Hope forever last longer than it did for me

I can agree with that... in 10 years I'll be almost 70, may opt for a store bought muscle car by them, use the Ford as a down payment.

Big_Sky_Guy
07-10-2014, 08:32 AM
Good luck with the resto OP!