PDA

View Full Version : Animal Pak and Surgery

Ogacux
07-03-2014, 11:08 AM
So I recently decided to try a multivitamin and I went with Animal Pak. When I went to open the package I noticed it said "discontinue use 2 weeks prior to surgery".

I have a cyst along my jaw that I'm waiting to have removed once the plastic surgeon referral goes through, so I haven't been taking the vitamins. Basically what I'm wondering is: is the warning on the package overly precautious for legal reasons or is it likely that the vitamins could make the surgery troublesome?

Thanks

Domicron
07-03-2014, 11:15 AM
this may help you. follow this script. if it doesn't go exactly as follows, hang up immediately and ask me for more instructions

Dr.office - hello, dr's office
Ogacux - hello, my name is Ogacux and have a question for my doctor.
Dr.office - yes let me transfer you
Ogacux - thank you.
Dr - hello how can i help you.
Ogacux - Hello, Dr. i have a question about a multivitamin i'm taking which has a warning to stop use prior to surgery. what do you recommend i do?

/NOTE: once you make it this far, listen to his instructions and proceed accordingly.

Firefist44
07-03-2014, 11:31 AM
So I recently decided to try a multivitamin and I went with Animal Pak. When I went to open the package I noticed it said "discontinue use 2 weeks prior to surgery".

I have a cyst along my jaw that I'm waiting to have removed once the plastic surgeon referral goes through, so I haven't been taking the vitamins. Basically what I'm wondering is: is the warning on the package overly precautious for legal reasons or is it likely that the vitamins could make the surgery troublesome?

Thanks

Bottom line is that **** happens, and while I personally don't see an issue with taking Pak, I would consult your doctor. Warnings are placed on products for a reason, no matter how silly or unimportant they may seem. Take labels with warnings in california for an example.

So consult your doc OP, always better to be safe than sorry.

Aweman
07-03-2014, 12:21 PM
Some herbs/vitamins/etc can thin or thicken the blood which could have some impact on surgery and whether you end up bleeding to death on the table. Very much doubt anything in Animal Pak or the doses in it would actually lead to that, it's likely just a precuationary/legal thing. Generally it's also recommended you stop taking omega 3 supplements 2 weeks before surgery. Really you should check with your doctor.