PDA

View Full Version : So I run into this guy in the bar last night...

beachguy498
07-03-2014, 06:07 AM
... while I was out with friends. A small place in town. I go outside at one point to check the weather, come back in and I'm looking at this guy and he's looking at me. Winds up this is Joe that I hung out with in school from age 12 on and some years after. I knew he was still around and ran into him maybe 10 years ago at a PTA event. We both had our brushes with the law over the years and after high school (1973-1976) we probably only saw each other drunk. We were both on the same self-destructive path and were equally as crazy. I knew he went into the Navy shortly after, worked for the LIRR (Long Island Rail Road), as did most of his family.

It so happened whenever we were out together, extraordinary events unfolded before our eyes. Just weird sh!t that cannot be made up and it happened to us all the time. Last night was no different, but this time there were witnesses.

He gave his condolences regarding Barbara and mentioned he had seen cancer from that side of the fence as well. He just couldn't bring himself to go to her wake. It seems that he had a tumor on a kidney about 3 years ago, which was originally thought as kidney stones. After the diagnosis of cancer, he was advised to get into the best facility ASAP for surgery, which he did. Long story short, he underwent surgery 3 times at Sloan Kettering in NYC and spent a month there at one point. His last surgery was almost a year ago and he goes for monthly check ups. He's held together with mesh and anchors to keep him together. So he gave me the story from "his side of the fence".

I was just blown away by what he said and my brother came over to talk to him as well. I would never hear such a perspective on what goes through the mind of the patient if I didn't talk to him. How do you tell the kids? What if I die in surgery? Me and Barbara never talked much about it, she was a real brick that way.

We both agreed that family and friends (more like friends in my case) will get me through this. He's bringing his wife down next week (or the one after) to the bar, she knows most of the ladies in my group. They never knew about my tie-in with Joe so this should be interesting. Amazing that our friendship is still this tight even though we missed many years in the middle.

bodyhard
07-03-2014, 06:11 AM
... while I was out with friends. A small place in town. I go outside at one point to check the weather, come back in and I'm looking at this guy and he's looking at me. Winds up this is Joe that I hung out with in school from age 12 on and some years after. I knew he was still around and ran into him maybe 10 years ago at a PTA event. We both had our brushes with the law over the years and after high school (1973-1976) we probably only saw each other drunk. We were both on the same self-destructive path and were equally as crazy. I knew he went into the Navy shortly after, worked for the LIRR (Long Island Rail Road), as did most of his family.

It so happened whenever we were out together, extraordinary events unfolded before our eyes. Just weird sh!t that cannot be made up and it happened to us all the time. Last night was no different, but this time there were witnesses.

He gave his condolences regarding Barbara and mentioned he had seen cancer from that side of the fence as well. He just couldn't bring himself to go to her wake. It seems that he had a tumor on a kidney about 3 years ago, which was originally thought as kidney stones. After the diagnosis of cancer, he was advised to get into the best facility ASAP for surgery, which he did. Long story short, he underwent surgery 3 times at Sloan Kettering in NYC and spent a month there at one point. His last surgery was almost a year ago and he goes for monthly check ups. He's held together with mesh and anchors to keep him together. So he gave me the story from "his side of the fence".

I was just blown away by what he said and my brother came over to talk to him as well. I would never hear such a perspective on what goes through the mind of the patient if I didn't talk to him. How do you tell the kids? What if I die in surgery? Me and Barbara never talked much about it, she was a real brick that way.

We both agreed that family and friends (more like friends in my case) will get me through this. He's bringing his wife down next week (or the one after) to the bar, she knows most of the ladies in my group. They never knew about my tie-in with Joe so this should be interesting. Amazing that our friendship is still this tight even though we missed many years in the middle.

Witnesses to what? :confused:

BootneckBrah
07-03-2014, 06:14 AM
Cliffs are overrated anyway

beachguy498
07-03-2014, 06:25 AM
Witnesses to what? :confused:

Things that just the 2 of us saw. I'll give you a couple. One night we left the bar and were stopped at a railroad crossing waiting for a train to pass. This car comes up behind us going fast, around us and through the gates and gets hit by the train. No other cars around since this was probably 4 AM. Just a loud BOOM and the car was simply gone. The driver was killed instantly. Nobody around for that maybe 5 minute time span before the police and fire department came. Eerily quiet while we walked down to see if there was anything left of the driver.

Another time, we were talking with some guy outside the bar, never saw him before and he tells us he just got out of the Army. After a while, he tells us he likes us and wants to show us something. We go to his car (figured he had some weed or whatever), he opens the trunk and he has a case of Army issue hand grenades in in. Think they came 48 to a case and this had all the markings and straw packing.

There's lots more, but I wouldn't feel comfortable putting them in writing.

bodyhard
07-03-2014, 06:30 AM
Things that just the 2 of us saw. I'll give you a couple. One night we left the bar and were stopped at a railroad crossing waiting for a train to pass. This car comes up behind us going fast, around us and through the gates and gets hit by the train. No other cars around since this was probably 4 AM. Just a loud BOOM and the car was simply gone. The driver was killed instantly. Nobody around for that maybe 5 minute time span before the police and fire department came. Eerily quiet while we walked down to see if there was anything left of the driver.

Another time, we were talking with some guy outside the bar, never saw him before and he tells us he just got out of the Army. After a while, he tells us he likes us and wants to show us something. We go to his car (figured he had some weed or whatever), he opens the trunk and he has a case of Army issue hand grenades in in. Think they came 48 to a case and this had all the markings and straw packing.

There's lots more, but I wouldn't feel comfortable putting them in writing.

You threw me off with "But this time there were witnesses" like if something happen that night and people saw it.

Geneius365
07-03-2014, 06:50 AM

Did you lose you wife to cancer? If so, my condolences to you sir. Very sorry for your loss. Im glad you and your buddy got to see each other again. Friends are friends no matter how long the time has been between. The train story is crazy. Also the grenades. Did you at least get one of them? LOL

beachguy498
07-03-2014, 07:22 AM
You threw me off with "But this time there were witnesses" like if something happen that night and people saw it.

The extraordinary thing last night was me running into this guy by chance. My brother thinks that this had happened as a divine intervention, but my faith is non-existent ATM.

And the people I was with knew some of the stories from years ago around town... so it was freaky that he was right there. I started one of the stories and he finished it, we had a great laugh. In essence the people that saw us talking for about an hour and stopped by (once they realized who Joe was) were witnesses to something special.

beachguy498
07-03-2014, 07:28 AM
Did you lose you wife to cancer? If so, my condolences to you sir. Very sorry for your loss. Im glad you and your buddy got to see each other again. Friends are friends no matter how long the time has been between. The train story is crazy. Also the grenades. Did you at least get one of them? LOL

Thanks, Barbara passed away on 6/13. The thing is that cancer doesn't mean a lot unless you have it or someone close has it. How many times have I passed an oncology office and said "with some luck we'll never see the inside of a place like that?".

I had almost forgotten the train thing. We went down the track maybe 200 yards to look, dead quiet except for the electric locomotive and the noises from the car cooling off. The guy never had a chance, all we saw was blood running out the bottom of the car.

With the grenades.. as soon as this guy went to use the bathroom, me and Joe vacated for another bar down the street. Drunk people and a possible army deserter with grenades, no thanks.

paolo59
07-03-2014, 07:38 AM
Thanks, Barbara passed away on 6/13. The thing is that cancer doesn't mean a lot unless you have it or someone close has it. How many times have I passed an oncology office and said "with some luck we'll never see the inside of a place like that?".

I had almost forgotten the train thing. We went down the track maybe 200 yards to look, dead quiet except for the electric locomotive and the noises from the car cooling off. The guy never had a chance, all we saw was blood running out the bottom of the car.

With the grenades.. as soon as this guy went to use the bathroom, me and Joe vacated for another bar down the street. Drunk people and a possible army deserter with grenades, no thanks.

LOL Makes you wonder where that case of grenades is today! :( In a closet somewhere, under a pile of assorted junk in the corner of a garage? Ha! Sold for 20 bucks each out of the trunk of that car in an alley? Hopefully the crazy mother just spent a relaxing afternoon on a river somewhere...'fishing.' :)

latebloomingmom
07-03-2014, 07:40 AM
I think there are people that drift into our lives and out and back in maybe :)
for a reason
we might not know what it is
it just is
there is a connection there
my hippy dippy sister in law would say its because when this happens
we are actually two old souls meeting again in this lifetime

not sure I believe that ( being a christian)
but I do believe that this happens with certain people :)

x-trainer ben
07-03-2014, 08:17 AM
for a reason
it just is

Def this^^ seeing an old friend and kids moving home all within the same short time frame; intervention for sure.

beachguy498
07-03-2014, 09:16 AM
for a reason
it just is

Def this^^ seeing an old friend and kids moving home all within the same short time frame; intervention for sure.

It was a very far out night and this bar (under a new name) is one of the places we would go. They used to have a $1 mug of beer and a shot special years ago. So something is going on for sure and I have to go along with such events when they pop up.

beachguy498
07-03-2014, 09:17 AM
LOL Makes you wonder where that case of grenades is today! :( In a closet somewhere, under a pile of assorted junk in the corner of a garage? Ha! Sold for 20 bucks each out of the trunk of that car in an alley? Hopefully the crazy mother just spent a relaxing afternoon on a river somewhere...'fishing.' :)

No idea, but we knew enough to get out of there quickly. We did check back to see if the bar was still standing later on.

whatevergirl
07-04-2014, 10:41 AM
Rob--Very interesting story/coincidences...what do you personally make of it? :o

I'll add that true friendships never die. It's awesome that you have reunited with him, so to speak. :)