PDA

View Full Version : Where do you choose to spend your Summer vacation?

Caesura75
07-02-2014, 12:52 PM
Here in the UK, the most common Summer destinations are the European islands such as Majorca, Ibiza, Tenerife etc. Travelling abroad has become just as cheap as staying somewhere inland, which means the airports are set to be manic for the next couple of months.

How about the other parts of the world though? Do the US folk look to Cancun, Carribean, South America etc, or do you prefer to just stay in the US and travel to the likes of Vegas etc? Where do the Canadians like to go?

And how is it for the Australians? Fiji, NZ etc or stay at home? Just interested to hear where the popular places are from your part of the world.

trickyB
07-02-2014, 12:59 PM
I like the Dominican or Mexico myself. Pretty cheap, nice weather, easy to get in and out etc. Summer is pretty short here so I enjoy it while its here and travel the other 9 months of the year.

Cass40
07-02-2014, 01:37 PM
Here in the UK, the most common Summer destinations are the European islands such as Majorca, Ibiza, Tenerife etc. Travelling abroad has become just as cheap as staying somewhere inland, which means the airports are set to be manic for the next couple of months.

How about the other parts of the world though? Do the US folk look to Cancun, Carribean, South America etc, or do you prefer to just stay in the US and travel to the likes of Vegas etc? Where do the Canadians like to go?

And how is it for the Australians? Fiji, NZ etc or stay at home? Just interested to hear where the popular places are from your part of the world.

Lol at Majorca, Ibiza, Tenerife..
I from Finland and that's exactly where we spent our vacations. :) Canary Islands, Greece etc.

Now I live in here so it's summer all year around. I like California, no need to go anywhere specific. California coast, San Francisco, Monterey, Catalina islands, San Diego etc. is plenty :)

A lot of people go to Mexico, or if they're really going all out, everyone's number one choice almost always is Hawaii.

acrawlingchaos
07-02-2014, 02:04 PM
I spend my time here in New England. I love to travel abroad (domestically and internationally) but there is so much here locally I still want to see.

Thepips
07-02-2014, 02:12 PM
Gym gym gym gym gym

Nikonguy
07-02-2014, 02:14 PM
A week beach side almost every Summer in St. Augustine, Florida.
Rotating between a Caribbean cruise, trip to North Carolina and a family vacation.
Possible trip to Poland next Summer.

theKurp
07-02-2014, 02:37 PM
What makes you assume vacations are taken in the summer?

tobymax123
07-02-2014, 02:40 PM
We just returned home from a 10-day vacation in Paris. It was our first European vacation, and we saved for it and planned it for almost 2 years. We usually go to Puerto Vallarta in Mexico for a winter vacation, but we skipped it the past two winters to save for Paris.

Other vacations for us have included trips to San Diego, San Francisco, Montreal, Las Vegas, and Orlando/Disney World.

Like most Americans (I think), most of our "vacations" are actually long weekend trips of 3 or 4 days. For us, it usually means going to visit friends or family in another city. We like going to Denver for long weekends to visit friends; sometimes in the winter for skiing, and sometimes to enjoy the beautiful weather and scenery in the summer. We will be going to Phoenix sometime this fall or winter.

Caesura75
07-02-2014, 03:24 PM
I from Finland and that's exactly where we spent our vacations. :)

Can't imagine why you settled in California! I bet your skin went through more of a culture shock than you did! ;-)

Was more interested in seeing where people go during the best of the weather.

We just returned home from a 10-day vacation in Paris

My father and his wife went to Paris a couple of months ago. They were pretty disappointed and described it as being manic and overly expensive. The one thing that did raise an eye was their room, which in typical French fashion gave subtle hints to encourage the language of love. This is a photo of their window (srs)........

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7077321&stc=1&d=1404336130

frozensparky
07-02-2014, 03:59 PM
Summertime we head down to where I grew up. A little town on the interior of British Columbia called Barriere. Visit my folks and spend a lot of time on one of the many lakes swimming boating and fishing.

Winter, me and Ang almost always head to Vegas for Super Bowl weekend and try to get to Cancun for a week as well.

GuyJin
07-02-2014, 04:39 PM
Being financially strapped, taking a vacation is sort of out of the picture for now. Last vacation we had, I took my wife and children to Guam for a quick three-day trip (last year). Fast, yes, but fun. Before that, three days in Disneyland (Tokyo) and last LONG vacation (eight days) was in Toronto in 2008, the year after my mother passed on. My sister met my wife and children for the first time and got along very well. That was fun.

weiss1967
07-02-2014, 04:59 PM
Roatan!!! We fly there on monday the July 7th and be back on 17th. Second largest coral reef in the world, cheaper dives, greasy 'mercan food (burgers and shiт), all about diving.

Cass40
07-02-2014, 05:18 PM
Can't imagine why you settled in California! I bet your skin went through more of a culture shock than you

Well believe it or not, but I wanted to settle in UK. I was always obsessed with everything British since I was about 12. I drove my poor (no money poor) parents crazy cause I insisted going to those EF language courses that were expensive. I worked in grocery stores at winters so I could spend my summers at Brighton.
And British weather loves my skin! I had the smoothest baby skin and glowiest hair ever!
But, as it turned out, no British man wanted to marry me, so I had to settle for sunny California. :)

silverlightning
07-02-2014, 05:20 PM
here in SoCal, summer vacation is a 15 minute drive to the beach. :)

KeepItMoving
07-02-2014, 06:31 PM
Was at Disneyworld for a week. Headed to northern Arizona/southern Utah in 4 days to houseboat on Lake Powell. Last trip will be our place in the Smoky Mountains. Then, football season/Coaching begins.

Nikonguy
07-02-2014, 06:44 PM
Was at Disneyworld for a week. Headed to northern Arizona/southern Utah in 4 days to houseboat on Lake Powell. Last trip will be our place in the Smoky Mountains. Then, football season/Coaching begins.

Where about? My family has a place in Waynesville.

yogachic52
07-02-2014, 06:45 PM
Hahah - I am spoiled, I live 5 minutes away from some beautiful beach and ocean...and Miami is only an hour away! But if I do go away, it's somewhere that's NOT a beach.....like a city up north, or Europe. Although, I have been to Mexico's beaches in Tulum, and they were BEAUTIFUL!! And I really want to go to St. Lucia/Barbados........

Dr0Scott
07-02-2014, 06:55 PM
I'd recommend St Lucia, and then Barbados. I stay at home over the summer, and get as much holiday sunshine as possible during the darker winter months.

olypowerful
07-02-2014, 07:05 PM
I would go to the gym and make as many gains as possible. No work = anabolic as ****.

DocHoss
07-02-2014, 10:45 PM
American's don't really have "Summer vacation." Most are lucky to get 2 weeks a year, and many don't even take that for fear of losing their jobs. Last real big vacation I had was 2005 in South Africa, though we've managed to tack on some vacation time to various conferences. Will have 7-10 days vacation after a conference in Argentina in September.

I from Finland
What do you do for sauna??

A lot of people go to Mexico, or if they're really going all out, everyone's number one choice almost always is Hawaii.
I'm from Hawai'i originally: number one vacation spot is Las Vegas.

DasPhilosopher
07-02-2014, 10:47 PM

Location bias makes your post pathetic.

mirroroferised
07-02-2014, 10:54 PM
Anywhere we can :) I've driven across Canada three times and camping in the rockies is right up there with my favourite things to do. That being said I love a week on a beach somewhere with nothing to do but stare at the water. Disney trips are kind of taking over vacation talks lately though with our kids.

Dream vacation for us one day is Italy.

Cass40
07-03-2014, 12:06 AM
What do you do for sauna??

There are some Finns that have built saunas in their houses that I could go visit I guess.
There's the Finnish club and the summer place that have saunas.
But What I really miss from home is rye bread
Sauna I can do without. :)

Oh lol didn't notice what you said about Las Vegas, but yeah here too, everybody's number one place to go for sure. Totally forgot about it.

Karl_Hungus
07-03-2014, 01:20 AM
The Oregon Coast -- I absolutely love it there....am hoping to go back there for a couple of weeks at end of Aug/beginning of sept. Newport/Depoe Bay, Cannon Beach, Ecola State park, and Fort Clatsop are all places I love visiting each time.

Richie71
07-03-2014, 01:22 AM
We usually stayed home in the summer, and then in winter went somewhere hotter, alternative Caribbean resorts and asia, in November, and skiing in Jan/Feb. Usually added some kind of european city break in the summer.

Of course that all changed when my wife got the role working in India for 18 months, and then with us both moving to South Africa this year - still haven't got my head around the winter in July thing!

RustyPipes
07-03-2014, 05:41 AM
We just returned home from a 10-day vacation in Paris. It was our first European vacation, and we saved for it and planned it for almost 2 years. We usually go to Puerto Vallarta in Mexico for a winter vacation, but we skipped it the past two winters to save for Paris.

Other vacations for us have included trips to San Diego, San Francisco, Montreal, Las Vegas, and Orlando/Disney World.

Like most Americans (I think), most of our "vacations" are actually long weekend trips of 3 or 4 days. For us, it usually means going to visit friends or family in another city. We like going to Denver for long weekends to visit friends; sometimes in the winter for skiing, and sometimes to enjoy the beautiful weather and scenery in the summer. We will be going to Phoenix sometime this fall or winter.

We just went to Paris too - end of May. Heaven on earth except for the second hand smoke.

beachguy498
07-03-2014, 06:10 AM

Bingo. In the north-east, we often take winter vacations to GTF away from the cold and snow.

beachguy498
07-03-2014, 06:14 AM
here in SoCal, summer vacation is a 15 minute drive to the beach. :)

My drive is 10 minutes to the best beaches in the world, 2 stop signs between me and the sand. Gotta roll out before 9 to beat the traffic after 7/4. But I like beaches elsewhere too. Hawaii, parts of Mexico, I find that northern Florida beaches are like.. eh... but going south they get a lot better.

tobymax123
07-03-2014, 08:03 AM
My father and his wife went to Paris a couple of months ago. They were pretty disappointed and described it as being manic and overly expensive. The one thing that did raise an eye was their room, which in typical French fashion gave subtle hints to encourage the language of love. This is a photo of their window (srs)........

For an older couple, I can certainly see how it would be too manic, especially on the weekends. The second weekend we were there, we learned not to do any major tourist attractions those days. Being there for 10 full days, we had time to stop, relax, and enjoy the bistros, coffee shops, cafes, and shopping in the 3rd & 4th districts. Of course we joined the mania of the Eiffel Tower, the Louvre, Montmartre, Versailles, and every church and cathedral we could find, but we didn't try to squeeze too much into each day. I was in heaven the whole time. We were prepared for crazy high prices on everything, but it wasn't nearly as bad as we expected. Mixed cocktails were eye-poppingly high priced, so we stuck with beer and wine. Meals were reasonable, usually at 12 to 20 euro, but desserts were pretty high at 8 to 12 euro. But totally worth it.

hmmmm16417
07-03-2014, 08:09 AM
we are spending a week in Algonquin Canada. my wife and her family used to do it every year but haven't in several years (probably 8-10 yrs) - so end of july we are packing our tents and living in the great outdoors.

me, my wife, my daughter
wifes brother and his girlfriend
and my wife's parents

ajdahlheimer
07-03-2014, 08:10 AM
Amsterdam. Hash bars. Nuff said.

KeepItMoving
07-03-2014, 08:24 AM
Where about? My family has a place in Waynesville.If you're talking about TN, our place is smack dab between Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg

jtroster
07-03-2014, 09:20 AM
We have a shared-ownership cottage in Muskoka, Ontario. It looks like this:
http://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/t1.0-9/10313676_10152269002038152_8419246502269544472_n.j pg

deadwoodgregg
07-03-2014, 09:22 AM
If you're talking about TN, our place is smack dab between Pigeon Forge and GatlinburgI live an hour northeast of there. Tons of great day trip drives from that area.

mcbourque
07-03-2014, 10:07 AM
For an older couple, I can certainly see how it would be too manic, especially on the weekends. The second weekend we were there, we learned not to do any major tourist attractions those days. Being there for 10 full days, we had time to stop, relax, and enjoy the bistros, coffee shops, cafes, and shopping in the 3rd & 4th districts. Of course we joined the mania of the Eiffel Tower, the Louvre, Montmartre, Versailles, and every church and cathedral we could find, but we didn't try to squeeze too much into each day. I was in heaven the whole time. We were prepared for crazy high prices on everything, but it wasn't nearly as bad as we expected. Mixed cocktails were eye-poppingly high priced, so we stuck with beer and wine. Meals were reasonable, usually at 12 to 20 euro, but desserts were pretty high at 8 to 12 euro. But totally worth it.

I'm very jealous of your trip :)
Paris is my favorite city! We lived there for two years (in the 5th) and I can't wait to go back and show my two kids all the museums, etc and just soak up the atmosphere.
You can eat pretty cheap by living on baguette and cheese :)

DocHoss
07-03-2014, 10:17 AM
We have a shared-ownership cottage in Muskoka, Ontario. It looks like this:
http://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/t1.0-9/10313676_10152269002038152_8419246502269544472_n.j pg

Nice! It's beautiful up there - and never forgotten, eh?

http://i1260.photobucket.com/albums/ii577/DocHoss/DSC_0274_zps53708acf.jpg

mcbourque
07-03-2014, 10:17 AM
I have summer break as a teacher so I usually take my boys home to see my mom in Québec for a couple of weeks while my husband stays in Seattle and work.

Then he usually takes the boys camping in the area for a week or so and for week-end trips since there are so many great outdoor places in the PNW.

They don't want me with them anymore as the boys are now teenagers and they all like the whole
"unplanned/extreme/manly expeditions" thing and I slow them down with my packing lists, piles of clean clothes and linen, blankets and pillows and series of snacks in multiple ziploc bags.

Summer holiday for me is a testosterone-free house for a week :)

We do whole family trips at Christmas time. Hawaii is the closest beach vacation spot for Seattlites.

And we occasionally have to go to Scotland to visit the in-laws.

Being expats sucks because all your holiday time is gobbled by family visits.

Caesura75
07-03-2014, 11:02 AM
For an older couple, I can certainly see how it would be too manic, especially on the weekends.

They have an RV and take it to France via Eurotunnel every few months, but are obviously more accustomed to the open air and countryside. The beauty of France is that you can have the best of both worlds. I stayed in a town called Honfleur a couple of years ago and it was one of the most beautiful places i've ever been to.

And we occasionally have to go to Scotland to visit the in-laws.

Nicely put! There are obviously some beautiful areas but the weather hardly lures me in.

The only representation of Seattle is i've seen is from Frasier! Not a bad thing though, brilliant series and very likeable characters!

Nikonguy
07-03-2014, 11:13 AM
If you're talking about TN, our place is smack dab between Pigeon Forge and GatlinburgBeen there many times. We are in N.C., about 90 minutes from Gatlinburg.

mcbourque
07-03-2014, 11:37 AM
Nicely put! There are obviously some beautiful areas but the weather hardly lures me in.

The only representation of Seattle is i've seen is from Frasier! Not a bad thing though, brilliant series and very likeable characters!

We go to the Highland parts, first to Gladgow then to Inverness. Quite beautiful out there but the trip is less museum/castle hunting (which I want to do) and more running in the moors and hills) which is what my husband wants to do) and having lots of wee cups of tea with my in-laws (which are really great people!)

Seattle is kind of like Frasier but also sometimes more like Portlandia LOL

beachguy498
07-03-2014, 08:11 PM
Amsterdam. Hash bars. Nuff said.

I am so freakin' packed.... sounds perfect right about now. My tattoo artist goes to a convention there once a year, I have to save that date.

dazlittle
07-04-2014, 03:05 AM
Lanzarote in March this year, in 3 weeks time we will be on a canal boat in the Norfolk broads for 5 days, then in September probably Egypt for a week of late sun.

scullin
07-04-2014, 04:15 AM
Been there several times in every season.

http://www.colonialmoteldells.com/images/DowntownDellsFP.jpg

http://www.wisconsin-dells-attractions.com/images/5SplashDown1.jpg

http://countrytimegazette.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Wisconsin-Dells-Events-Wowz.jpg

http://www.coaster-net.com/images/news/lost-city-of-atlantis-uncovered-at-wisconsin-dells-MDTs.jpg

http://www.wisconsin-dells-attractions.com/images/MagiQuestWisconsinDellsFront2.jpg

Flounderbout
07-04-2014, 04:32 AM
American's don't really have "Summer vacation." Most are lucky to get 2 weeks a year

Ho. Lee. Phuk.

Seriously?

scullin
07-04-2014, 04:35 AM
Ho. Lee. Phuk.

Seriously?Yup. I get 4 weeks though. Taking 10 days in August. Usually use the rest between Christmas and my kids' spring break.

beachguy498
07-04-2014, 05:02 AM
Ho. Lee. Phuk.

Seriously?

Most jobs you earn 2 weeks after a year and some will add a week after 5 years and so on. A few years they lumped all of our time into one paid time off (PTO) account, which makes bookkeeping easier. THEN... this year they hosed a lot of us out of anywhere from 32 to 48 hours for no real good reason, so I essentially get just over 5 weeks a year after working at the place for over 30 years. Which is still more than many here in the US get.

I may take a week in the fall and go to Bermuda and take the kids and their girlfriends too, just to get out of town.

Flounderbout
07-04-2014, 05:12 AM
Yup. I get 4 weeks though. Taking 10 days in August. Usually use the rest between Christmas and my kids' spring break.

Most jobs you earn 2 weeks after a year and some will add a week after 5 years and so on. A few years they lumped all of our time into one paid time off (PTO) account, which makes bookkeeping easier. THEN... this year they hosed a lot of us out of anywhere from 32 to 48 hours for no real good reason, so I essentially get just over 5 weeks a year after working at the place for over 30 years. Which is still more than many here in the US get.

I may take a week in the fall and go to Bermuda and take the kids and their girlfriends too, just to get out of town.

Man, that sucks. I guess there are some jobs like that in the UK, but most would get at least 4 weeks and many much more than that I'd have thought.

I won't even tell you how many weeks I take off, but then that is the benefit of being self-employed... :p

dazlittle
07-04-2014, 05:15 AM
Man, that sucks. I guess there are some jobs like that in the UK, but most would get at least 4 weeks and many much more than that I'd have thought.

I won't even tell you how many weeks I take off, but then that is the benefit of being self-employed... :p

I get 30 days + 1 day for not smoking + the 9 bank holidays (think its 9).

On the other hand my Mrs only gets 20 days plus the bank holidays.

Caesura75
07-04-2014, 05:19 AM

Full time workers are legally entitled to a minimum of 28 days leave per year, although that does include eight days of public holidays. So yes, four weeks is the minimum entitlement.

Flounderbout
07-04-2014, 05:41 AM
This thread has upset me so much that I am going to take another week off... :D

mcbourque
07-04-2014, 05:54 AM

Yes it's true. That was one of the biggest difference I noticed moving to the US compared to Canada, the UK and France. People even work though Christmas break here. They get Christmas Day and new year and that's it. Then just 2 weeks in the summer.

beachguy498
07-04-2014, 07:24 AM
Full time workers are legally entitled to a minimum of 28 days leave per year, although that does include eight days of public holidays. So yes, four weeks is the minimum entitlement.

At my job, if it was under one of the old systems, I'd have 5 weeks of vacation plus 2 weeks of sick time. That's 7 weeks right there.

Now I have 208 hours (got boned out of 48 this year as I mentioned above..), 10 holidays (we close Xmas week) and one floating holiday (aka the floating turd holiday). I mean they do it right in Europe and the UK, recognize that employees need to chill.

Corbi
07-04-2014, 08:14 AM
If you're talking about TN, our place is smack dab between Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg

Been to Gatlinburg but the traffic was so horrendous going into Pigeon Forge we turned around.

Been there several times in every season.

http://www.colonialmoteldells.com/images/DowntownDellsFP.jpg

http://www.wisconsin-dells-attractions.com/images/5SplashDown1.jpg

http://countrytimegazette.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Wisconsin-Dells-Events-Wowz.jpg

http://www.coaster-net.com/images/news/lost-city-of-atlantis-uncovered-at-wisconsin-dells-MDTs.jpg

http://www.wisconsin-dells-attractions.com/images/MagiQuestWisconsinDellsFront2.jpg

Seeing as how this is in my backyard we have been there a lot, prefer the off season when most of the tourists are gone. Years ago before the big indoor waterparks came around the town would literally close up after Labor day, bow quite a few shops stay open yr rd.

Guinea-pig
07-05-2014, 11:33 PM
This week we are taking off for the Grand Canyon and Las Vegas.
Dropped off my German Shepherd at my brother in law and he was not happy. (my dog)

scullin
07-06-2014, 06:43 AM
Been to Gatlinburg but the traffic was so horrendous going into Pigeon Forge we turned around.

Seeing as how this is in my backyard we have been there a lot, prefer the off season when most of the tourists are gone. Years ago before the big indoor waterparks came around the town would literally close up after Labor day, bow quite a few shops stay open yr rd.
I've been to pigeon forge and Gatlinburg several times.
That traffic can be bad, it depends on what time off the day though. Night is easier.

Been to the Dell's at least once in every season now. S still stuff to do there that I haven't done yet. Don't think I'll get tired of going up there any time soon.