PDA

View Full Version : Seriously curling in the only squat rack.

bodyhard
06-30-2014, 05:53 AM
On Sundays I go to the gym to do Abs and Cardio, while walking to the ab area there was a guy doing curls in the only squat rack there is in the gym.

There was a guy there waiting for the squat rack, just sitting there patiently waiting. As I walked by I turned to my son and said "Wow the guy is seriously curling in the only squat rack in the whole f'cking gym" I said it low and discreet, did not want any beef.

Apparently the guy had a friend who heard me and like a little bitch went and told the guy curling.

Now I am not sure why tall.big dudes think that their size is intimidating (well maybe it is to some) but he went out of his way to come behind me and say "you have a problem with me curling in the squat rack" I pay my membership just like you".

I turned to the guy and I said, "Yeah I got a f'cking problem with guys like you, who out of all f'cking places have to curl in the only f'cking squat rack in the whole goddamn f'cking gym, while a guy who wants to use the rack for what is intended sits there and waits for your monkey ass to finish. If it was me waiting for the rack I would have pulled your ass out of the f'cking rack!"

He looks at me and mutters man you ain't worth it, so I said I didn't stepped to you, you stepped to me, so next time you wanna run up on somebody, be prepared to finish..

What a rush, I felt a live again, man I live for this sh!t, my only regret is I did not just hit him, I am getting soft in my old age.

Robin13
06-30-2014, 06:05 AM
You should have said you wanted to squat and see if he was cool? We have only one rack till the late summer revamp! Sometimes best just walk on by fighting ain't worth the grief!

heatwave13
06-30-2014, 06:40 AM
I never fully understood the curling in the squat rack phenomenon. I know it happens, but why do people feel the need to do the curl movement in a squat rack? You know, as opposed to finding another bar and doing it outside of a squat rack, out of the way somewhere?

Old-Time-Lifter
06-30-2014, 06:46 AM
You should have said you wanted to squat and see if he was cool? We have only one rack till the late summer revamp! Sometimes best just walk on by fighting ain't worth the grief!

Wanna know how we know you're new here?

Firminator4
06-30-2014, 06:55 AM
I hate it when people want to do squats in my curling rack!

jeffaus
06-30-2014, 07:16 AM
I hate it when people want to do squats in my curling rack!I just hate everybody.

Luckily at my gym, Im the only guy there. Been going there for a few months now and seriously have only seen one other guy there ( and that was only once ) haven't seen him since. The swimming pool at the gym is always full, but gym? never anyone there. And the beautiful thing is that the gym is directly across the road from my apartment building. Im in gym heaven :D

John, you never fail to disappoint brother. Lol 's are always had.

Robin13
06-30-2014, 07:25 AM

New here yea :)but not to gym etiquette ! Calling him out on his attitude is what I've done in the past so yes agree with bodyhard on that!

silverlightning
06-30-2014, 09:14 AM
punk azz beeotches curling in the squat rack. what if he did a squat, then a curl then an OHP? is that ok?

Kansas123
06-30-2014, 09:30 AM
Lol there was a guy that was curling on the platform in the gym. Truly rustled.

frozensparky
06-30-2014, 10:09 AM
I never fully understood the curling in the squat rack phenomenon. I know it happens, but why do people feel the need to do the curl movement in a squat rack? You know, as opposed to finding another bar and doing it outside of a squat rack, out of the way somewhere?

Honestly I think it's because they're to lazy to pick a bar off the ground and want to have it up higher

paolo59
06-30-2014, 10:16 AM
LOL If they're curling three 45's on either side of the Olympic bar, then they get a pass! Otherwise, curl somewhere else. :)

Tmax55
06-30-2014, 10:46 AM
People are different than they used to be. When I was in college, I lifted with a group of guys and we pretty much owned the squat rack area of the gym despite 100's of people going into the gym. People thought we were psycho partially because we actually squatted and partially because we liked it.

Now days people all walk around with their armband headphones listening to Justin Beiber or whatever the hell they listening to, in their own little worlds oblivous to what a squat rack is for - doing bicep curls for "tone". Back in the day all we had was thrash metal on the sound system and focus on the legs and it worked. Any idiot can do a bicep curl.

Mumra
06-30-2014, 10:47 AM
I want to make a video curling in the monolift just to rustle jimmies. I'm talking about having someone work the lever and everything. LOL!

silverlightning
06-30-2014, 11:00 AM
the younger BH would've knocked a fool out.

Cass40
06-30-2014, 11:17 AM
Luckily at my gym, Im the only guy there. Been going there for a few months now and seriously have only seen one other guy there ( and that was only once ) haven't seen him.

Are the other ones ladies? :)

Luckily we have 3 squat racks in our ghetto gym, otherwise I'd go bananas..

Simpske
06-30-2014, 11:58 AM
another life saved. It was a good day.

bodyhard
06-30-2014, 12:08 PM
LOL If they're curling three 45's on either side of the Olympic bar, then they get a pass! Otherwise, curl somewhere else. :)

Nope no pass, I don't care how much you are curling, if there is more than 1 squat rack then it is OK. But we only have one freaking squat rack in the gym and someone who wants to squat has to wait on someone who is doing curls?

Tmax55
06-30-2014, 12:21 PM
In fairness, someone who is doing curls in a squat rack is not going to have any concept of "wants to squat."

What I like to do is stand behind the person curling outside the rack and get a bar, put it on the floor and then lift it from the floor to overhead and lower it onto my back for my warmup sets of squats then press it back up and over. People catch on. I've never actually had to wait long enough to get to 225 for that (which would be difficult if its possible for me at all), but 135 like that is usually far more than they are curling and sends a message.

Karl_Hungus
06-30-2014, 12:36 PM
Nope no pass, I don't care how much you are curling, if there is more than 1 squat rack then it is OK. But we only have one freaking squat rack in the gym and someone who wants to squat has to wait on someone who is doing curls?

Agreed. Curls can be done anywhere, but you only have one area where you can do squats. One time I went to do some squats and I hear a guy behind me yell "yo, I got one more set on that bro!". He had no weight on the bar, so I had no clue what he could be doing. He then walks into the squat rack and begins doing f'cking jumping jacks. I didn't know whether to laugh my @ss off or punch the guy.

TouaregV8
06-30-2014, 12:38 PM
People need to be called out these days. There's too many dumb asses out there. When I see $hit like this going on in my gym I make comments to my wife just loud enough for others around me to hear it. No one has ever come at me. I say good job, BH. Maybe next time the idiot will get a clue.

Dave76
06-30-2014, 12:50 PM
My favorite curling in the squat rack vid:

WqOjHKwh27E

bodyhard
06-30-2014, 03:34 PM
Agreed. Curls can be done anywhere, but you only have one area where you can do squats. One time I went to do some squats and I hear a guy behind me yell "yo, I got one more set on that bro!". He had no weight on the bar, so I had no clue what he could be doing. He then walks into the squat rack and begins doing f'cking jumping jacks. I didn't know whether to laugh my @ss off or punch the guy.

You can't be serious!

I think I would have lost it for sure.

Clamz
06-30-2014, 03:49 PM
what an idiot to step to you after hearing something second hand. High school mindset by him and his friend.

heatwave13
06-30-2014, 04:16 PM

WqOjHKwh27E

those two should have their gym membership revoked for doing that

cowboybiker
06-30-2014, 05:22 PM
Stopped reading at cardio.

bodyhard
06-30-2014, 05:46 PM
Stopped reading at cardio.

LOL

Hardcore CBB, let me see that crazy build you have developed over the years training so hard core.

cowboybiker
06-30-2014, 05:51 PM
LOL

Hardcore CBB, let me see that crazy build you have developed over the years training so hard core.

I'm letting myself go.

I wanna be like mikie. Seems the popular way to go.

bodyhard
06-30-2014, 05:56 PM
I'm letting myself go.

I wanna be like mikie. Seems the popular way to go.

And then come here and ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it

cowboybiker
06-30-2014, 05:59 PM
Dammit :D

Seems like too much effort for me.

I'd rather do cardio.

So srs question. Srs. What kind of cardio do you do? And for how long?

Karl_Hungus
06-30-2014, 06:04 PM
You can't be serious!

I think I would have lost it for sure.

Easily the stupidest thing I have seen done in the squat rack. I still have no idea why he needed the squat rack for f'cking jumping jacks.

bodyhard
06-30-2014, 06:06 PM
Dammit :D

Seems like too much effort for me.

I'd rather do cardio.

So srs question. Srs. What kind of cardio do you do? And for how long?

I run on he treadmill for 20 minutes to a 1/2 an hour, then I go and do abs.

Abs is almost like cardio to because I do it non stop in this order
Lying leg ups 15 reps
Hanging vertical leg ups 15 reps
Romanian Chair crunches 15 reps
Hyper 15 reps

I do that 3 times and then I am done.

I do this every Sat & Sun.

cowboybiker
06-30-2014, 06:17 PM
I run on he treadmill for 20 minutes to a 1/2 an hour, then I go and do abs.

Abs is almost like cardio to because I do it non stop in this order
Lying leg ups 15 reps
Hanging vertical leg ups 15 reps
Romanian Chair crunches 15 reps
Hyper 15 reps

I do that 3 times and then I am done.

I do this every Sat & Sun.
Cool.
I stopped doing cardio to try and bulk up but I can't break 200. I don't know if you remember but I started at this site at 220. Then dropped to 180.
So I'm adjusting my routine and I'm stealing your cardio/ ab routine. Don't hate.

Corbi
06-30-2014, 06:48 PM

Had a guy setting up in the cage once, he chalks up and I notice no bar in the rack and wondered wtf he was doing? Drops down and starts doing pushups, finishes up and walks around a bit, grabs a bit more chalk and does more pushups in the cage. We have 3 in this gym so it wasn't a big deal but still why he felt the need to do them there and with chalk no less is a mystery.

cowboybiker
06-30-2014, 06:56 PM
Worst we have is dancing guy.
Does a few curls. Then spends time dancing and flexing in the mirror. Then repeat.
He stays out of the way and doesn't really bother anyone

Cass40
06-30-2014, 06:59 PM
We have some dancing dudes too :D

I'm lolling here at your guise's stories, especially the guy with chalk doing push ups :D

heatwave13
06-30-2014, 07:08 PM
Worst we have is dancing guy.
Does a few curls. Then spends time dancing and flexing in the mirror. Then repeat.
He stays out of the way and doesn't really bother anyone

Oh wow, now we have dancing and flexing. something, seems so wrong about this picture

Tmax55
06-30-2014, 08:11 PM
My morning gym has two squat racks. They have the pull-up handles in them. They are the only place you can do pull-ups there. I like to do pull-ups for back day. There are usually four- five people in that gym each morning. I still feel weird about doing pull-ups there. But I'd have no problem working with someone squatting. They don't interfere. But every time I do pull-ups there I still feel weird. I'm the only person who squats there but still...

deadwoodgregg
06-30-2014, 08:16 PM
I got this one guy at my gym that iz an *******.....did I mention that I have a home gym?

W8t wut.

So fortunate to be able to do my workouts at home. Everything is always set up for me and zero waiting.

bodyhard
06-30-2014, 09:30 PM
Cool.
I stopped doing cardio to try and bulk up but I can't break 200. I don't know if you remember but I started at this site at 220. Then dropped to 180.
So I'm adjusting my routine and I'm stealing your cardio/ ab routine. Don't hate.

I hate you man!!!

I never go over 30 minutes, I tend to lose weight too quickly and anything over 30 minutes for me cuts into my muscles so I keep it at 30 minutes,

Cass40
06-30-2014, 09:39 PM
Never cardio or abs crew :)

bodyhard
06-30-2014, 09:41 PM
Never cardio or abs crew :)

Umm why?

Cass40
06-30-2014, 09:44 PM
Umm why?

Why should I?

I don't like either.

And I'm bulking now anyways.

bodyhard
06-30-2014, 09:47 PM
Why should I?

I don't like either.

And I'm bulking now anyways.

Ohhh if you are bulking then why didnt' you say so, I feel for you come lay on my chest let me give you a hug.

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj74/bodyhard_2008/nightout_zps9cda7efe.jpg (http://s269.photobucket.com/user/bodyhard_2008/media/nightout_zps9cda7efe.jpg.html)

mpomerle
06-30-2014, 09:52 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9xmn97RMc1qg1vd7.jpg

Cass40
06-30-2014, 11:19 PM
Ohhh if you are bulking then why didnt' you say so, I feel for you come lay on my chest let me give you a hug.

Lol..bulking is fun so no need to feel bad. :)
But seriously, you didn't answer why I should do abs or cardio? The program says abs are optional, so to me that means I don't have to do them. I wanna have huge shoulders and quads so my waist will look smaller. Basically I wanna look like reddog. :) I don't think doing abs will give me tiny waist. And you know I'm right and that's why you didn't answer.

GuyJin
07-01-2014, 02:31 AM
And then come here and ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
Ask for help
Not take it
--

tl;dr

Cliffs?

:D

hmmmm16417
07-01-2014, 02:59 AM
maybe you could just ask him if you can work in with him and then set up right behind the guy an ddo some empty handed warm up squats IN THE RACK WHILE he is curling hahahahahahahahaha

bodyhard
07-01-2014, 05:41 AM
Lol..bulking is fun so no need to feel bad. :)
But seriously, you didn't answer why I should do abs or cardio? The program says abs are optional, so to me that means I don't have to do them. I wanna have huge shoulders and quads so my waist will look smaller. Basically I wanna look like reddog. :) I don't think doing abs will give me tiny waist. And you know I'm right and that's why you didn't answer.

LOL I didn't answer you because you already set in your ways and anything I tell you is not going to change your mind.

So why don't we do this, take a pic of your abs now, do YOUR routine for 6 months take progress pics, come back to me and then we will talk, OK? ;)

Cass40
07-01-2014, 06:21 AM
LOL I didn't answer you because you already set in your ways and anything I tell you is not going to change your mind.

So why don't we do this, take a pic of your abs now, do YOUR routine for 6 months take progress pics, come back to me and then we will talk, OK? ;)

Wrong. Not set in my ways at all. Pretty much everything I'm doing is based on info here. And maybe I should do abs and cardio.
I take progress pictures, but six months from now I'm end of my bulk so I'll doubt I have abs.

bodyhard
07-01-2014, 06:28 AM
Wrong. Not set in my ways at all. Pretty much everything I'm doing is based on info here. And maybe I should do abs and cardio.
And I take progress pictures, but six months from now I'm end of my bulk so I'll doubt I have abs.

That is what I meant, there are a lot of members here who are against doing cardio and abs due to info they get HERE.

So many OV35 are like sheep.

Ohh I forgot you are bulking just another word for getting fat :D

So again when you are done with your bulking (your know getting big shoulders to make your waist appear smaller) and you are ready to see some abs (thats if you want abs) you can start whatever training you want, take pics of your abs (or full body whatever you like) and then do it again in 6 months, I will still be ere I am not going anywhere.

I am a very patient man. :D

Cass40
07-01-2014, 06:52 AM
That is what I meant, there are a lot of members here who are against doing cardio and abs due to info they get HERE.

Ohh I forgot you are bulking just another word for getting fat :D

So again when you are done with your bulking (your know getting big shoulders to make your waist appear smaller) and you are ready to see some abs (thats if you want abs) you can start whatever training you want, take pics of your abs (or full body whatever you like) and then do it again in 6 months, I will still be ere I am not going anywhere.

I will post pictures of course, but I'm not really trying to get a six pack. I know my end of diet progress pic I have April 25, my abs would've been better had I done abs or cut down more. But I don't need to have super shredded abs, do I?

And getting fat is fine with me. Bring the fat, I'll just cut it like I did last time. What's the big deal?

I just started lifting September. I came here for help, and am getting called a sheep cause I take the advice. O.k

mikieson
07-01-2014, 07:09 AM
Honestly if I wanted to curl in a squat rack I would..if I pay to use a gym I'll use it..simple..don't know where some of you get your egos but maybe less raw meat in your diets.

Guinea-pig
07-01-2014, 07:29 AM
Honestly if I wanted to curl in a squat rack I would..if I pay to use a gym I'll use it..simple..don't know where some of you get your egos but maybe less raw meat in your diets.
You'll never understand your one of them.

heatwave13
07-01-2014, 07:31 AM

Truth right there

bodyhard
07-01-2014, 07:35 AM
I will post pictures of course, but I'm not really trying to get a six pack. I know my end of diet progress pic I have April 25, my abs would've been better had I done abs or cut down more. But I don't need to have super shredded abs, do I?

And getting fat is fine with me. Bring the fat, I'll just cut it like I did last time. What's the big deal?

I just started lifting September. I came here for help, and am getting called a sheep cause I take the advice. O.k

Thats kool by me, it is your body not mine and I always say, do you.

I still don't understand why get fat, is does nothing for you, nothing.

Back to your regular programming...:D :D

ajdahlheimer
07-01-2014, 07:37 AM
I personally choose to do cardio for the heart workout benefits. Run 11 miles per week.

Cass40
07-01-2014, 07:38 AM
I still don't understand why get fat, is does nothing for you, nothing.

Oh, so you call boobs "nothing". O.k

Truth right there

Says the one who eats 1000 calories a day. Yeah, you're certainly not a sheep.

heatwave13
07-01-2014, 08:04 AM

Says the one who eats 1000 calories a day. Yeah, you're certainly not a sheep.

I'm not directing bodyhard's sheep comment at anyone specific. I'm just implying that the absolute training truths we're conditioned to believe may not be applicable to the masses and that we each need to carve our own paths with all this stuff based on our individual goals. Bulk up if you deem it necessary.

Brackneyc
07-01-2014, 08:09 AM
I'm not directing bodyhard's sheep comment at anyone specific. I'm just implying that the absolute training truths we're conditioned to believe may not be applicable to the masses and that we each need to carve our own paths with all this stuff based on our individual goals. Bulk up if you deem it necessary.

Genetically speaking, what works for one will work for another (person). IOW, the basics of building muscle and losing weight can be applied to the general population with a high degree of consistency, barring a specific condition or malady.

Everyone seems to want a reason or excuse as to why the generally accepted truths won't/don't work for them. Rarely is it the plan that fails.

Cass40
07-01-2014, 09:05 AM
Genetically speaking, what works for one will work for another (person). IOW, the basics of building muscle and losing weight can be applied to the general population with a high degree of consistency, barring a specific condition or malady.

Everyone seems to want a reason or excuse as to why the generally accepted truths won't/don't work for them. Rarely is it the plan that fails.

This has been my experience so far. Everything they told me, has worked exactly like the "sheep" said. Every female here that is my height, have the same numbers pretty much. Mcbourque for example has the exact same stats, and the same cutting numbers. I had no problem losing weight, and I didn't eat low carb or clean.

Of course where you store the fat, can vary.

EjnarKolinkar
07-01-2014, 10:12 AM
This has been my experience so far. Everything they told me, has worked exactly like the "sheep" said. Every female here that is my height, have the same numbers pretty much. Mcbourque for example has the exact same stats, and the same cutting numbers. I had no problem losing weight, and I didn't eat low carb or clean.

Of course where you store the fat, can vary.

The basics apply, who knows what you will find you like, works better, helps you get more of what you want. Plenty of time though the weights aren't going anywhere. BH right though, it does get a little rigid around here at times.

I'm going to go do some cardio and abs now.

silverlightning
07-01-2014, 10:13 AM
one myth about training abs while bulking is that it isn't necessary because you won't be able to see them. mostly true, but it does help in regards to dead lifting and squatting and other compound movements. the other myth is that you can spot reduce and get TONED by just training abs. top ten marketing lie in the fitness world.

Cass40
07-01-2014, 10:22 AM
one myth about training abs while bulking is that it isn't necessary because you won't be able to see them. mostly true, but it does help in regards to dead lifting and squatting and other compound movements. the other myth is that you can spot reduce and get TONED by just training abs. top ten marketing lie in the fitness world.

O.k, now somebody is actually telling me why I should do abs instead of just insulting me.
I feel my core is strong when I'm doing deadlifts or squats. I feel I'm deadlifting with my abs, I feel them working. I've never had problem doing squats or DL's, so I assumed I didn't need direct ab work.
I do squats and DL's the same day with leg presses and hammies and calves.
So if I add direct ab work, you think my lifts will go up?

silverlightning
07-01-2014, 10:32 AM
O.k, now somebody is actually telling me why I should do abs instead of just insulting me.
I feel my core is strong when I'm doing deadlifts or squats. I feel I'm deadlifting with my abs, I feel them working. I've never had problem doing squats or DL's, so I assumed I didn't need direct ab work.
I do squats and DL's the same day with leg presses and hammies and calves.
So if I add direct ab work, you think my lifts will go up?

your lifts won't go up, but it can help with the posterior chain while performing squats, dead lifts, etc. according to the youtube series "so you think you can dead lift", it's recommended to train abs for added strength/support in the posterior chain. i.e., glutes, hamstrings, lower erectors, etc. it's more of an accessory work especially if you have form issues.

bodyhard
07-01-2014, 10:33 AM
Cass my apologies if you felt that I insulted you, but I was talking to CBB about cardio and abs and you came in and said you don't do them I ask why and made a joke and you went on saying that I didn't answer you because I knew you were right :rolleyes:

You think you did not insult me? I've been doing this way longer than most and you come at me with a line like I did not answer you because I knew you were right????

Cass40
07-01-2014, 10:35 AM
Cass my apologies if you felt that I insulted you, but I was talking to CBB about cardio and abs and you came in and said you don't do them I ask why and made a joke and you went on saying that I didn't answer you because I knew you were right :rolleyes:

You think you did not insult me? I've been doing this way longe than most and you come at me with a line like I did not answer you because I knew you were right????

Sorry about that. You think I should abs. I actually wanna know :)

silverlightning
07-01-2014, 10:36 AM
today i did leg press, squats, conventional dead lifts and calves in that order. last two weeks i jacked my lower back, hip while doing sumo dead lifts cuz i got careless. today all is fine.

bodyhard
07-01-2014, 10:39 AM
Sorry about that. You think I should abs. I actually wanna know :)

Honestly I don't really find women with full abs sexy, more just the line down the middle.

Now if a woman is training for bodybuilding then hell yes they HAVE to have abs, it comes with the territory.

Having visible abs is not necessary (and comes from low bodyfat) but having strong abs helps with other movements as stated above.

Do I think you should have abs? In my honest opinion you look fine the way you do in your AV, as I said, I don't find full visible abs on women attractive.

silverlightning
07-01-2014, 10:44 AM
do you find abs sexy on men? lmao, just playing.

Cass40
07-01-2014, 10:44 AM
Honestly I don't really find women with full abs sexy, more just the line down the middle.

Now if a woman is training for bodybuilding then hell yes they HAVE to have abs, it comes with the territory.

Having visible abs is not necessary (and comes from low bodyfat) but having strong abs helps with other movements as stated above.

Do I think you should have abs? In my honest opinion you look fine the way you do in your AV, as I said, I don't find full visible abs on women attractive.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too.

I don't need a six pack.

I'm going for a more feminine look.

Thank you. :)

bodyhard
07-01-2014, 10:50 AM

I don't need a six pack.

I wouldn't say having abs doesn't make a female look feminine, I just don't find it attractive...

Your welcome.

Karl_Hungus
07-01-2014, 11:59 AM
BH -- Just curious....but why do you do cardio? You have said before that it is hard to add mass (your body wants to stay thin) ... doesn't cardio make it even harder? What benefits do you get from doing it? Not saying you shouldn't do it -- I am just curious why YOU do it.

Frnkd
07-01-2014, 01:03 PM
Oh wait, I just got off a Canada Day thread.......and thought of another kind of curling.

bodyhard
07-01-2014, 01:42 PM
BH -- Just curious....but why do you do cardio? You have said before that it is hard to add mass (your body wants to stay thin) ... doesn't cardio make it even harder? What benefits do you get from doing it? Not saying you shouldn't do it -- I am just curious why YOU do it.

I never really did any kind of cardio because due to my high metabolism I lose weight too quickly. But in the last 2 years or so, I have been starting to carry a little bit of unwanted fat. One thing I wont do is go in a calorie deficit because I would lose too much muscle and become flat.

So while I am maintaining my surplus, I have added cardio to level set.

I also have added cardio for my heart since I was approaching 50 (and now am 50) I figured it is time to strengthen the heart.

Karl_Hungus
07-01-2014, 01:43 PM
I also have added cardio for my heart since I was approaching 50 (and now am 50) I figured it is time to strengthen the heart.

That make sense .... that is actually the same reason I do cardio.

bodyhard
07-01-2014, 01:53 PM
That make sense .... that is actually the same reason I do cardio.

Well you are only 42 I should have started then :)

Old-Time-Lifter
07-01-2014, 02:01 PM
If I remember right OldSup didn't advocate training abs directly.

DocHoss
07-01-2014, 10:16 PM
I call them my DB curls 'cuz only a douche bag curls in the squat rack.

In fairness, someone who is doing curls in a squat rack is not going to have any concept of "wants to squat."

What I like to do is stand behind the person curling outside the rack and get a bar, put it on the floor and then lift it from the floor to overhead and lower it onto my back for my warmup sets of squats then press it back up and over. People catch on. I've never actually had to wait long enough to get to 225 for that (which would be difficult if its possible for me at all), but 135 like that is usually far more than they are curling and sends a message.
Actions speak louder than words!

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9xmn97RMc1qg1vd7.jpg
I like this curling - at least the rack makes some sense. But jumping jacks?? I would think you'd bang something and get hurt. Pushups are just dumb.

My morning gym has two squat racks. They have the pull-up handles in them. They are the only place you can do pull-ups there. I like to do pull-ups for back day. There are usually four- five people in that gym each morning. I still feel weird about doing pull-ups there. But I'd have no problem working with someone squatting. They don't interfere. But every time I do pull-ups there I still feel weird. I'm the only person who squats there but still...
Now here's an idea - if you do your pull-ups in the rack, that's an incentive for the guy below you to squat really deep :D

Who is this impostor and what have you done with John !?!

Gee, who asked for some common sense in this thread?

I don't need a six pack.

We are all here for our own goals. The only person you have to please is YOU. Screw us. Um, I mean our opinions don't matter! (in case someone gets the wrong idea).

What you are doing is just fine.

As long as you don't do jumping jacks in the squat rack :D

Fishman15
07-01-2014, 10:40 PM
Honestly I think it's because they're to lazy to pick a bar off the ground and want to have it up higher

Yup, that's it I'm convinced. About the same mentality as the people who drive around the gym parking lot several times in order to save a few extra feet of walking to the door...

Fishman15
07-01-2014, 11:01 PM

WqOjHKwh27E

Well, I can see why the one dude needs a belt...

Fishman15
07-01-2014, 11:18 PM
I hate you man!!!

I never go over 30 minutes, I tend to lose weight too quickly and anything over 30 minutes for me cuts into my muscles so I keep it at 30 minutes,

Never do cardio for less than an hour crew checking in BH. Of course I'm coming at it from a former fatty mcbutter perspective. I do one hour on the treadmill 2 to 3 times per week on non lifting days. Usually hit 6 1/2 miles total. Wifey has been "enjoying" my new endurance...

JediRN
07-01-2014, 11:39 PM

Boobs are awesome.

That's all I have to contribute to this thread. :)