PDA

View Full Version : Crossfit, it isn't for pussies.

Corbi
06-29-2014, 06:48 PM
Was watching this at the gym between sets today and let me tell you if someone says crossfit is for pussies, well then I want to be one. Some of the lifts they were doing were insane and I doubt many here could accomplish them.

mikieson
06-29-2014, 07:22 PM
If I were to ever get back in the gym I would do crossfit no doubt..it gets talked bad about but no doubt they are in better physical shape then a gym rat..

cowboybiker
06-29-2014, 07:29 PM
ITT Corbi gets mikies interest in lifting stirred.

Brackneyc
06-29-2014, 07:32 PM
Was watching this at the gym between sets today and let me tell you if someone says crossfit is for pussies, well then I want to be one. Some of the lifts they were doing were insane and I doubt many here could accomplish them.

Most here couldn't play a full game of soccer either, but I'm not going to run out and join one of their fcking clubs.:D

imazinger
06-29-2014, 08:02 PM
Oh ya they do great pull ups too and have great form when doing there other crap ....... they pussys

Corbi
06-29-2014, 08:08 PM
Most here couldn't play a full game of soccer either, but I'm not going to run out and join one of their fcking clubs.:D

I agree with that, but on top of these guys doing insane $hit they were all ripped as well. I guarantee there are a ton of guys here would seriously think about killing someone if they could have the builds some of these guys have. You always read $hit about crossfit and once you watch it I fail to understand how anyone into weight lifting could possibly not respect what these guys do.

Brackneyc
06-29-2014, 08:13 PM
I agree with that, but on top of these guys doing insane $hit they were all ripped as well. I guarantee there are a ton of guys here would seriously think about killing someone if they could have the builds some of these guys have. You always read $hit about crossfit and once you watch it I fail to understand how anyone into weight lifting could possibly not respect what these guys do.

I know a couple of guys who each run their own crossfit gyms in this area. Biggest issue I have is the cost. Holy sht, talk about a cash grab (at least in this area). The owners are both cut all to hell. Their clients....not so much. Many folks I know who have tried it have been injured early on, mostly from trying to do too much, too early. This is not unlike regular gym customers, but some of the injuries are pretty serious.

IMO, it is a fad, and will eventually be replaced by something else better and greater.

Bando
06-29-2014, 08:14 PM
I don't have a problem with anyone's style of training.

I have a problem with people jumping rope or doing burpees on a platform I need for deads or squats though.

Fishman15
06-29-2014, 08:19 PM
If I were to ever get back in the gym I would do crossfit no doubt..it gets talked bad about but no doubt they are in better physical shape then a gym rat..

But you are not interested in ever lifting again so it won't matter?

mikieson
06-29-2014, 08:28 PM
But you are not interested in ever lifting again so it won't matter?

Wow..good point bro..

pharmamarketer
06-29-2014, 08:36 PM

Well that's the endorsement of the year.

Big_Sky_Guy
06-29-2014, 08:48 PM
Oh ya they do great pull ups too and have great form when doing there other crap ....... they pussys

Let me help you with this. They're pussies.

I know a couple of guys who each run their own crossfit gyms in this area. Biggest issue I have is the cost. Holy sht, talk about a cash grab (at least in this area). The owners are both cut all to hell. Their clients....not so much. Many folks I know who have tried it have been injured early on, mostly from trying to do too much, too early. This is not unlike regular gym customers, but some of the injuries are pretty serious.

IMO, it is a fad, and will eventually be replaced by something else better and greater.

Bolded is the biggest issue I've seen in the past 4 years at our gym. Checking the ego at the door is very difficult in a group environment, myself included.

There is already a National Professional Fitness League (NPFL) that just started up as the next iteration of the CF Games.

GuyJin
06-29-2014, 08:52 PM
FWIW, any exercise is better than no exercise at all. However, the problem I have with CF is not the exercises but how they're performed and doing certain exercises for time. Kipping pullups...someone mentioned once it was acceptable as that was the style in which they could get all the reps in. Fine...but that style is, to me, eventually going to ruin someone's shoulders.

As for doing things like deadlifts, cleans, snatches. and pullups for time, again, eventually you'll have to compromise your form and that's an accident waiting to happen. Fatiguing not just the main muscles but the surrounding, supporting muscles and tendons and ligaments is asking for trouble. Even with lighter weights in those exercises, unless you're in great condition this is problematic.

Kevin Ogar (sp?) the CF-er who is now paralyzed, is a good case in point. The guy was definitely experienced, big, strong, but he'd been working through a lot of exercises before he came to the snatch, his muscles and surrounding muscles were already fatigued, and he slipped. Form error, maybe, or just plain tiredness. IDK for sure, but it cost him.

As for the guys Corbi said were ripped to shreds, I believe him. I've seen a few CF-ers who were very well built and cut up, but I've seen just as many out-of-shape trainees and so-so looking but experienced men and women. The CF world is like the bodybuilding world in a sense. You'll have all kinds of physiques there. Just as on this kind of forum you'll have the guys who are jacked, so too in the CF arena you'll have guys built like Rich Froning. Other guys and gals, not so much.

In the end, all things being equal which they never are, I'd take weight training over CF, mainly because of the safety factor. Nothing wrong with CF-ers in their quest to be good at multiple movements. I just have a problem with the way they're performed. My two yen for the day...

Old-Time-Lifter
06-29-2014, 09:05 PM
FWIW, any exercise is better than no exercise at all. However, the problem I have with CF is not the exercises but how they're performed and doing certain exercises for time. Kipping pullups...someone mentioned once it was acceptable as that was the style in which they could get all the reps in. Fine...but that style is, to me, eventually going to ruin someone's shoulders.

As for doing things like deadlifts, cleans, snatches. and pullups for time, again, eventually you'll have to compromise your form and that's an accident waiting to happen. Fatiguing not just the main muscles but the surrounding, supporting muscles and tendons and ligaments is asking for trouble. Even with lighter weights in those exercises, unless you're in great condition this is problematic.

Kevin Ogar (sp?) the CF-er who is now paralyzed, is a good case in point. The guy was definitely experienced, big, strong, but he'd been working through a lot of exercises before he came to the snatch, his muscles and surrounding muscles were already fatigued, and he slipped. Form error, maybe, or just plain tiredness. IDK for sure, but it cost him.

As for the guys Corbi said were ripped to shreds, I believe him. I've seen a few CF-ers who were very well built and cut up, but I've seen just as many out-of-shape trainees and so-so looking but experienced men and women. The CF world is like the bodybuilding world in a sense. You'll have all kinds of physiques there. Just as on this kind of forum you'll have the guys who are jacked, so too in the CF arena you'll have guys built like Rich Froning. Other guys and gals, not so much.

In the end, all things being equal which they never are, I'd take weight training over CF, mainly because of the safety factor. Nothing wrong with CF-ers in their quest to be good at multiple movements. I just have a problem with the way they're performed. My two yen for the day...

/thread

scullin
06-29-2014, 09:21 PM
I don't think anyone thinks it's for pussies. But it's not exactly a smart or sensible way to train. Good way to get hurt.

cowboybiker
06-29-2014, 09:27 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lu9i34JGC51ql793vo1_500.gif

silverlightning
06-30-2014, 08:20 AM
I don't have a problem with anyone's style of training.

I have a problem with people jumping rope or doing burpees on a platform I need for deads or squats though.

this. or anywhere in the free weight section. do that in the aerobic room.

mikieson
06-30-2014, 08:42 AM
I don't think anyone thinks it's for pussies. But it's not exactly a smart or sensible way to train. Good way to get hurt.

Both my shoulders need surgery and my elbows are hurt from working out.. You get hurt from anything. Crossfit is an awesome healthy lifestyle if done right

Mumra
06-30-2014, 08:47 AM
OP their lifting only looked awesome because those plates are made to look big and intimidating but don't weigh ish. Crossfit(gawd I hate typing it too) is to bodybuilding/powerlifting/strongman what figure skating is to hockey. it's just a bunch of fluff and just because something is hard doesn't make it a good idea or manly. shoving 20 wangs in your mouth might be hard but it's still gehy. onwhatimsayin? ;)

scullin
06-30-2014, 08:53 AM
Both my shoulders need surgery and my elbows are hurt from working out.. You get hurt from anything. Crossfit is an awesome healthy lifestyle if done right I've done it before. Some of it is OK as far as getting your cardio in with basic circuits. Some of it is completely retarded though. I prefer to train for things specifically rather than their non-specific approcach. I do love Crossfit Football though, as it's programming is legit.

acrawlingchaos
06-30-2014, 08:57 AM
Aside from the cost, the only thing keeping me from going, is you can not use the equipment unless you are under the direct supervision of a trainer.

sytun
07-01-2014, 04:20 AM
"Crossfit, it isn't for pussies."

so so close - just 2 letters and an abbreviation mark away from being correct ( n't ) *ping

Vytis
07-01-2014, 04:25 AM

^^^^This all day long. These guys are in incredible shape, but no sane individual would try to perform Olympic style lifts for time. This is an injury waiting to happen....

mcbourque
07-01-2014, 05:03 AM

^^ pretty much this.

The biggest problem I have with crossfit is the high chance of injury. You have a bunch of people of various degrees of fitness doing the same workout consisting of advanced exercises under the supervision of only one trainer for a whole bunch of people.

It's really hard to lead a group safely. I'm not sure CF trainers are really qualified.

As fitness instructors, we need hours of training and classes before being certified to lead a group. Safety and modification are the most important part of the class. You get fired for teaching potentially dangerous lift or exercise. You're trained to assess your class level, identity people at risk and modify based on your clients. That's why fitness classes don't use heavy weights. It's just not safe in a group. You can't risk it.

But with CF, you get the heavy lifts, done pretty fast and not with perfect form, with a "more is better" mentality, the competitive group toying with your ego, and led by one person who just can't adapt and check every single one participant.

Recipe for disaster in my book. Fine for the experience exerciser who has a good grip on biomechanics and their own abilities but not for the general public.

DuracellBunny
07-01-2014, 07:13 AM
^^ pretty much this.

The biggest problem I have with crossfit is the high chance of injury. You have a bunch of people of various degrees of fitness doing the same workout consisting of advanced exercises under the supervision of only one trainer for a whole bunch of people.

It's really hard to lead a group safely. I'm not sure CF trainers are really qualified.

As fitness instructors, we need hours of training and classes before being certified to lead a group. Safety and modification are the most important part of the class. You get fired for teaching potentially dangerous lift or exercise. You're trained to assess your class level, identity people at risk and modify based on your clients. That's why fitness classes don't use heavy weights. It's just not safe in a group. You can't risk it.

But with CF, you get the heavy lifts, done pretty fast and not with perfect form, with a "more is better" mentality, the competitive group toying with your ego, and led by one person who just can't adapt and check every single one participant.

Recipe for disaster in my book. Fine for the experience exerciser who has a good grip on biomechanics and their own abilities but not for the general public.

To get certified to teach CF is a one weekend course, so you end up with the blind leading the stupid.

CF is fine on paper, but it falls down, as so many things do, in the implementation. Boxes can be opened with almost zero knowledge and are a cash cow, so you will get a certain number of people who don't give a damn about the trainees but will happily take all the $$$.

beachguy498
07-01-2014, 07:23 AM

I'm already hurt, so I'll pass on it, just not for me. It works for a lot of people though so it can't be dismissed.

PersonaNonGrata
07-01-2014, 07:32 AM
There's a crossfit crowd at my gym. They make me look big, which is something. The kipping pullups they do make them look like a landed fish, it's dangerous

azeeb
07-01-2014, 07:36 AM
To get certified to teach CF is a one weekend course, so you end up with the blind leading the stupid.

CF is fine on paper, but it falls down, as so many things do, in the implementation. Boxes can be opened with almost zero knowledge and are a cash cow, so you will get a certain number of people who don't give a damn about the trainees but will happily take all the $$$.

How is this any different than a normal gym? I've never walked into normal gym and been awed by the number of elite lifters. With one exception, I've never been impressed by the knowledge of the owner (in most cases I've never even seen the owner). Sure there are usually a couple of impressive lifters, but for the most part it is scrawny teenagers and people running on the treadmill with absolutely no instruction at all.

I would say crossfit has about the same number of pussies participating as any other gym. I've never done crossfit so maybe I'm wrong.

DuracellBunny
07-01-2014, 07:41 AM
How is this any different than a normal gym?

In a normal gym you can do whatever you want. In a CF gym it is all instructor lead, so you have to do what they tell you do the way they tell you to do it. THAT is why having muppets as instructors is more of an issue.

Brackneyc
07-01-2014, 07:45 AM
Just get a shakeweight and a tug toner. Same thing, right? :D

Jtbny
07-01-2014, 07:52 AM
The crossfit games look pretty cool. I'd go watch if I lived in CA. I'd join a "box" if it wasn't 149 a month here :eek: but I'd continue training my way too.

I've had a few hardcore crossfitters tell me how superior that method of "training" is compared to most others. They almost always point to Rich Froning as their example. I remember reading an interview with Froning and he mentioned he does the standard 5/3/1 for hits strength training and throws in the WODs. Not something the "hardcore" xfitters like to hear as they want to believe he got to his elite level but doing timed burpees and butterfly pull-ups :rolleyes:

I like crossfit and I especially like the fact that it made fitness gear so accessible. I can go just about anywhere and pick something up. I also agree those guys/gals competing at the xfit games are pretty damn legit.

yogachic52
07-01-2014, 09:03 AM
Sadly, not a week goes by that we don't have at least one new patient who is a Crossfit casualty. I recognize that the exercised in of themselves are fine, it's just the intensity and repetition, plus the hyper-competitiveness of the mindset that really creates the injuries. Not a fan of it at all.....

Postmort3m
07-01-2014, 09:06 AM
qnjYyfkcaNI

phoenixr2
07-01-2014, 09:15 AM
Level of anecdotal evidence in here is astounding. Some legit points from both sides of the fence too though.

Jtbny
07-01-2014, 09:17 AM
Level of anecdotal evidence in here is astounding. Some legit points from both sides of the fence too though.

Pretty standard for a thread here about crossfit.....or planet fitness :D

Big_Sky_Guy
07-01-2014, 09:29 AM
Personal responsibility of the trainee to check the ego at the door and do what the body is capable of today.

Personal responsibility of the trainer to help us check our ego and help us find work arounds or scale back the workout.

Gotten hurt in both the gym and CF...always from not listening to my body

bradandblake
07-01-2014, 09:36 AM
I've done crossfit "style" training and regular cardio/weight training splits.

Let me say this...doing the crossfit style training got me lean and strong, and my cardio is amazingly good considering my weight for my size.

As a result, bulking/cutting is a breeze.

Brackneyc
07-01-2014, 11:38 AM

What other type of evidence would you expect to see with something like this? After a while, this anecdotal evidence will be the "science" behind this type of "fitness" regimen.

Mumra
07-01-2014, 12:24 PM
I've done crossfit "style" training and regular cardio/weight training splits.

Let me say this...doing the crossfit style training got me lean and strong, and my cardio is amazingly good considering my weight for my size.

As a result, bulking/cutting is a breeze.
strong is a relatitive term.

Oceanside
07-01-2014, 12:37 PM

I've always said it would apply more to functional strength (variation of sports) than would most of what you see people doing in the weight room .

but at no point in my life would I have ever had an inclination to try it.

Corbi
07-01-2014, 03:13 PM
I've always said it would apply more to functional strength (variation of sports) than would most of what you see people doing in the weight room .

I wouldn't try it because I seriously doubt I could complete 1/4 of the stuff they do. Frickin handstands on a couple boxes and then doing pushups while in the handstand mode. OHP a bar and X amount of weight and then hold it up there while you do walking lunges for 100 yds.

Anyone who says these guys aren't strong is fukkin nuts, and by that I mean the ones we see on TV who compete. The ones in the gym who run around like a chicken missing it's head drive me up a wall.

GuyJin
07-01-2014, 03:15 PM
--
Same deal with conventional weight training and bodybuilding. Today's bro-science is tomorrow what-works fact.

I did CF-type workouts before it became known as Cross-Fit. Nothing new. What IS new is the hype around it...but injuries are nothing to laugh at. That ain't anecdotal at all. I don't know all the stats, but from what I read--yes, anecdotal--it seems as if the injury rate is waaaaaaaay higher than with conventional weight training.

pharmamarketer
07-01-2014, 04:27 PM
I'll stick with the big 4. The guys on t.v. "Cross fitting" did not get there cross fitting. Fadalicious

Robinater
07-01-2014, 04:34 PM
Note. MOST CROSSFIT ATHLETE COMPETITORS DON'T EVEN DO CROSSFIT TRAINING. Like Jason Khalipa or Rich Froning, they don't do jump rope board walking kipping handstands. I find crossfit a great way to snap your back and eat up your wallet, where you feed crossfit's wallet, and then feed Kaiser Health cares wallet with surgeries. Its okay to do crossfit, just don't punch it into people's faces that your the elite athlete and you have the best of all aspects of fitness

jamesovercome
07-01-2014, 05:13 PM
Whomever did those lifts didn't get strong solely due to Crossfit. Doing sets of 21 won't get you strong at anything.

Mumra
07-02-2014, 06:04 AM

oh god this again.
Functional - Func.tion.al
1. capable of operating or functioning
2. capable of serving the purpose for which it was intended
basically standing on a ball doing bicep curls helps you stand on a ball and do bicep curls. this "functional" BS is just another cleaver catch phrase designed to take attention away from the fact that no real weight is being moved. it's all fluff.

Note. MOST CROSSFIT ATHLETE COMPETITORS DON'T EVEN DO CROSSFIT TRAINING. Like Jason Khalipa or Rich Froning, they don't do jump rope board walking kipping handstands. I find crossfit a great way to snap your back and eat up your wallet, where you feed crossfit's wallet, and then feed Kaiser Health cares wallet with surgeries. Its okay to do crossfit, just don't punch it into people's faces that your the elite athlete and you have the best of all aspects of fitness
bingo. I've been toying with the idea of training cardio for a few weeks and going to a crossfit comp after my meet in Sept just to blow it out of the water but I don't want to blow out my shoulder doing one of those retarded kipup(another catchy name) things.

Whomever did those lifts didn't get strong solely due to Crossfit. Doing sets of 21 won't get you strong at anything.
strength training 101 right there.

machined
07-02-2014, 07:46 AM
I respect CF, but I've never seen a natural, massive, ripped, vascular CFer.

scullin
07-02-2014, 07:58 AM
oh god this again.
basically standing on a ball doing bicep curls helps you stand on a ball and do bicep curls. this "functional" BS is just another cleaver catch phrase designed to take attention away from the fact that no real weight is being moved. it's all fluff.

bingo. I've been toying with the idea of training cardio for a few weeks and going to a crossfit comp after my meet in Sept just to blow it out of the water but I don't want to blow out my shoulder doing one of those retarded kipup(another catchy name) things.

strength training 101 right there.

The best approach I've seen is to do a normal strength routine and follow it up with some complexes and / or sprints. Same results, less injuries. Crossfit is essentially doing complexes in a group setting and marketing it to the masses for profit.

What I'm talking about would be the following type of workouts (which I will be doing something similar once I get done with my PL comp this month and start reverse dieting).

Take your pick from any of theses and you'll get the results:

http://www.defrancostraining.com/store/product.php?productid=16145
http://70sbig.com/wp-content/uploads/files/Articles/Lascek_S&CP_v2.0.pdf
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/screw_cardio_four_complexes_for_a_shredded_physiqu e
http://crossfitfootball.com/category/wod/

GnomusMaximus
07-03-2014, 06:01 AM
I've added little bits and pieces of crossfit to my workouts and found it really helpful. I've been using the "Puppies" scaled workouts from the BrandX site after my lifting or throwing and it's a lot more fun than walking on that stupid treadmill or running down the streets. Probably hasn't made me stronger or leaner, but I can run up steps and chase my kids around without horking up a lung now. I've also found "crossfit people", although perhaps a bit cultish at times, to be willing to try new things. Much more than people in other aspects of the strength/fitness games. I really respect that.

Not sure if anyone else saw the video of the now infamous paralysis incident, but it was up for a while (might not be now, idk). It was just a freak accident. He went back on the snatch like people do when they overpull a snatch but the weight just happened to hit another plate that was on the ground. The bumper on bumper collision actually accelerated the bar up into his back as he fell. had that bar moved one inch either direction or the plate on the floor been an inch to the side, wouldn't have happened. The only way crossfit might be to "blame" for that is I think it was one of those workouts where you have to load your own bar and he didn't move the other plates far enough off the platform.

Oh and they unblocked this site at work....

GnomusMaximus
07-03-2014, 06:03 AM
...and Bando is right....get off the platform!!

NYTBlair359
07-03-2014, 06:42 AM
my biggest complaint about crossfit is the manipulation of the 45lb weight. I was watching a female do {what I thought} was 135 MP - I was dam impressed until my buddy told me that those weights are only 10lbs. Another small minor complaint is bringing their over sized under armor bag with everything in it and putting it down in the middle of the workout area. My gym has one crossfitter that works out in his socks. I am patiently waiting for him to drop something or bang into a bench..patiently.....

GnomusMaximus
07-03-2014, 06:50 AM
Training bumper plates have been used in Oly gyms for years. Crossfit has definitely popularized them and made them much more readily available and less expensive for the rest of us...same with oly shoes...got a set of nice one's for <100$...never would have happened before crossfit.

Just so people don't think I'm trying to make weights look heavier I've duct taped all the weights in my gym with the appropriate IWF colors. 20kg bumper plate....blue tape on edge....20kg steel plate....blue tape. if the people watching don't know what the colors mean, it's their own fault. But I do agree I think people (including probably me) overuse the bumpers because they look bigger.

Mumra
07-03-2014, 07:17 AM
last night I got up to pee. I stubbed my toe, tripped over a shoe, fell on my chair and slipped on the bathroom floor. I believe in crossfit this is called a Miranda WOD.

x-trainer ben
07-03-2014, 07:29 AM
In several of these crssfit threads i have mentioned that the original creator of cross fit wrote up routines in his blog with daily updates( i used to view his blog that first year). My rugby coach buddy( told me about it)said that they were short routines for firemen, police,and military( basically emergency jobs) to get in shape and have functional "job strength." What you see NOW is by no means what he originally designed or intended. Just imagine 45 min of fast paced training so that as a fireman you can do your job.

So it is original cross fit vs. lets make some money cross fit.
just a fyi

Brackneyc
07-03-2014, 08:05 AM
In several of these crssfit threads i have mentioned that the original creator of cross fit wrote up routines in his blog with daily updates( i used to view his blog that first year). My rugby coach buddy( told me about it)said that they were short routines for firemen, police,and military( basically emergency jobs) to get in shape and have functional "job strength." What you see NOW is by no means what he originally designed or intended. Just imagine 45 min of fast paced training so that as a fireman you can do your job.

So it is original cross fit vs. lets make some money cross fit.
just a fyi

Sort of like the way the "Box Store" gyms have taken what most of us have known as "gyms," and added wild colors to them, and taken away much of what we loved about them, and made them what they are today.

bradandblake
07-03-2014, 08:07 AM
strong is a relatitive term.

Well meaning, strength is up even while doing HIIT.

DuracellBunny
07-03-2014, 08:07 AM
I will sum it all up for you: CF isn't for pussies and neither is pouring battery acid on your testicles, but I have no intention of doing that either.

x-trainer ben
07-03-2014, 08:09 AM
Sort of like the way the "Box Store" gyms have taken what most of us have known as "gyms," and added wild colors to them, and taken away much of what we loved about them, and made them what they are today.

Exactly!! I mean if you were not a cop or in the military why in the world would you go to some obscure website; with a list of exercises, a time frame and a couple of pics? Answer, you wouldn't.

Oceanside
07-03-2014, 08:36 AM
oh god this again.

what part of "variation of sports" don't ya understand sh*t for brains :)

Mumra
07-03-2014, 08:49 AM
what part of "variation of sports" don't ya understand sh*t for brains :)
wow.... please don't breed. :)

AlGee650
07-03-2014, 02:44 PM
You can't beat crossfit when it comes to conditioning. I do a crossfit type WOD 1-2x/wk just to confirm my hate towards burpees. But to each his own. Personally, I'm after aesthetics first AND performance second. Hardcore crossfitters get fit to do....well, more crossfit. And to beat and up their times, rounds, reps, etc. But for me, I don't have the desire to do FRAN in under 2 minutes. That doesn't excite me. What does excite me about doing crossfit is being in condition to play other ways...ie...snowboarding, muay thai, bjj, basketball. But to your point, Crossfit is NOT for pussies. The only time I've ever wanted to faint or throw up in the gym was after a crossfit workout...LOL

2nd_chance
07-03-2014, 10:52 PM
While I am not interested in crossfit, I have respect for those who are seriously into it.

It's all about doing you (as BH says). If someone is motivated by CF, more power to them. Let's focus on the hundreds of millions of fat slobs in this country!

TonyJH
07-03-2014, 10:56 PM
one of my friends who goes to nationals every year for wrestling does crossfit for his training and I truly think it's part of what made him a great athlete. crossfit is great as a form of athletic training, not so much hypertrophy.

Oceanside
07-03-2014, 11:19 PM
one of my friends who goes to nationals every year for wrestling does crossfit for his training and I truly think it's part of what made him a great athlete. crossfit is great as a form of athletic training, not so much hypertrophy.

hence the phrase "functional strength" :)

phoenixr2
07-04-2014, 06:31 PM

You never HAVE to kip, but you knew that right? So with that being said, whats your next excuse? I'd like to see you go blow a comp "out of the water" with a few weeks of cardio. Please make sure to record all events.

JontheAtheist
07-04-2014, 11:45 PM
I wouldn't call any Crossfitter a pussy but I would say some of their techniques are a little... crazy.

/T74Xek-pDLM

AAOBob
07-05-2014, 10:35 PM
My wife isn't looking to be a body builder but looking to be lean and strong. She just started crossfit and likes it a lot. It pushes you, and doesn't treat women like they need to be on a bosu ball to lift. Shes smart enough to not get into too much of the competition side and over do lifts for speed and shes been lifting for a few years now so in pretty good shape there.

CropDusterMan
07-07-2014, 07:25 AM
I'm into old-school bodybuilding and Olympic Lifting...crossfit has been great for the sport of weightlifting! Although I do only
the Snatch and C&J, I think incorporating the other stuff the crossfit guys do into it is really awesome. Anyone who
bashes crossfit is just being close-mined. All you have to do is watch the Crossfit Games...those guys are huge and ripped,
oh ya, and clean and jerk close to 400LBs...lets see a bloated gym rat do that.

GuyJin
07-07-2014, 08:01 AM
[QUOTE=CropDusterMan;1265937671..All you have to do is watch the Crossfit Games...those guys are huge and ripped,
oh ya, and clean and jerk close to 400LBs...lets see a bloated gym rat do that.[/QUOTE]
---

Generalizations will get ya every time.

FWIW, I used to do O lifting although I never quite got the snatch down pat, simply because of inflexible shoulders. But I enjoyed it.

As for the guys who C&J close to 400 pounds, not many can do that. Only the elite, same as the Olympic lifters who regularly do those lifts, and then...not that many. Even Rich Froning and Jason Khalipa (sp?) have said they don't do the WOD...they follow a more regular program. WOD won't get you to the near-400 C&J mark.

CF is good to do in its own way...but from what I've seen and read and heard, it ain't all what it's cracked up to be. The injury list shows that.

MarkDL
07-07-2014, 12:01 PM
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/L9UXKOIvuYE/0.jpg
Cults are awesome!

shredduck
07-29-2014, 08:48 PM
crossfiters are like subaru owners.

it's an awesome concept, and it works,

but the majority is a bunch of annoying phaggots that never shut up about it's "superiority" so you never want anything to do with it.

dbx
07-29-2014, 08:54 PM
Crossfit, it isn't for pussies..

Yes, yes it is.

yaaar
07-29-2014, 09:37 PM
Crossfit is awesome.

You could buy a barbell for $100. Or... you can buy a crossfit barbell for $150!

See, wasn't that awesome?

dbx
07-29-2014, 09:40 PM
Crossfit is awesome.

You could buy a barbell for $100. Or... you can buy a crossfit barbell for $150!

See, wasn't that awesome?

Negged for accuracy!

a-dog
07-30-2014, 05:57 AM
I've watched the CF games on ESPN, they do some "interesting" things. I think you have to actually try some of the things they do before you discount them. I'm a non competitive bodybuilder who's been doing traditional bodybuilding for about 28 years and I honestly think some of the things CF'ers do could help out alot of bodybuilders. Not everything but using some of the movements and concepts.

I don't like some of the things they do but I think just using some of the concepts to help with cardio is a great idea. When I say cardio I'm not talking about conditioning in terms of BF levels, I'm talking about actual lung functionality. I'm older, I have asthma so I have to watch what my lungs can and cannot do. I can get on a bike or an elliptical and get my HR up to a decent level for 30 mins and feel great but I think doing some of the CF stuff just helps take it to another level. doing stuff like burpees, thrusters etc in a structured manner is a great idea IMHO. Maybe not everyday but working them in every once in awhile can help anyone.

I like the rowing machine that they use. I watched a video where Jason Khalipa did 1000 meters in like under 4 minutes. I decided to give it a try and it was fun as hell, I got down to around 4 minutes at one point but it's a great machine, you can do different routines on it to break things up and it's not trashing your legs when you do it. Now of course doing 4 mintues of cardio might seem like a waste of time but my HR was up in the high 160's and my lungs were working HARD.

CF isn't for pussies. It's not the give all, end all either. Like alot of things associated with BB you have to look at the routines and pick out what you feel comfortable doing and try things out. If they don't work for you then leave them behind and find something that does work for you.

that said, I was shocked by how much a "box" membership was....I'm not paying that much to workout anywhere....

x-trainer ben
07-30-2014, 07:09 AM
I've watched the CF games on ESPN, they do some "interesting" things. I think you have to actually try some of the things they do before you discount them. I'm a non competitive bodybuilder who's been doing traditional bodybuilding for about 28 years and I honestly think some of the things CF'ers do could help out alot of bodybuilders. Not everything but using some of the movements and concepts.

I don't like some of the things they do but I think just using some of the concepts to help with cardio is a great idea. When I say cardio I'm not talking about conditioning in terms of BF levels, I'm talking about actual lung functionality. I'm older, I have asthma so I have to watch what my lungs can and cannot do. I can get on a bike or an elliptical and get my HR up to a decent level for 30 mins and feel great but I think doing some of the CF stuff just helps take it to another level. doing stuff like burpees, thrusters etc in a structured manner is a great idea IMHO. Maybe not everyday but working them in every once in awhile can help anyone.

I like the rowing machine that they use. I watched a video where Jason Khalipa did 1000 meters in like under 4 minutes. I decided to give it a try and it was fun as hell, I got down to around 4 minutes at one point but it's a great machine, you can do different routines on it to break things up and it's not trashing your legs when you do it. Now of course doing 4 mintues of cardio might seem like a waste of time but my HR was up in the high 160's and my lungs were working HARD.

CF isn't for pussies. It's not the give all, end all either. Like alot of things associated with BB you have to look at the routines and pick out what you feel comfortable doing and try things out. If they don't work for you then leave them behind and find something that does work for you.

that said, I was shocked by how much a "box" membership was....I'm not paying that much to workout anywhere....

Good post, the reason it was interesting to me when it was first created was the whole idea of "functional strength". I began wondering how i could incorporate some of the early moves(1st year/ not the popular ones you see now) into overall health and fitness. After all you need to be able to move/bend/stretch with all this muscle right? :)

a-dog
07-30-2014, 08:10 AM
Good post, the reason it was interesting to me when it was first created was the whole idea of "functional strength". I began wondering how i could incorporate some of the early moves(1st year/ not the popular ones you see now) into overall health and fitness. After all you need to be able to move/bend/stretch with all this muscle right? :)

I like to watch the CF games and pick out things I would like to try. I saw on one vid they did one arm clean and press (with a dumbbell) and I think they had to do 70lbs for 30 reps....that sounded like an interesting challenge so I worked on it for awhile, just something I did on the side and it got the heart rate up and I was breathing pretty heavy so I think it was beneficial in that regard. Now I wouldn't really tell a guy or a girl who's looking to compete in a BB show to do that but it was fun.

x-trainer ben
07-30-2014, 08:15 AM
I like to watch the CF games and pick out things I would like to try. I saw on one vid they did one arm clean and press (with a dumbbell) and I think they had to do 70lbs for 30 reps....that sounded like an interesting challenge so I worked on it for awhile, just something I did on the side and it got the heart rate up and I was breathing pretty heavy so I think it was beneficial in that regard. Now I wouldn't really tell a guy or a girl who's looking to compete in a BB show to do that but it was fun.

Yep, if you do this for any length of time new challenges always keep it fresh, and fresh aids with longevity. Longevity is my goal.

Mumra
07-31-2014, 04:19 AM
I was watching the "games" on the tv at my bar and everyone around me kept asking, "isn't that bad for(insert joint)?". like even lay people know that the way these guys were doing things like the deadlift were just wrong and bad for you. seriously so many of the guys competing that day would have so much energy, time and pain if they had the slightest clue on how to properly to deadlift.

it's all about being catchy and trendy. when I heard that the men's final comp was called, "double Grace" I lost it.... I was hoping for double Miranda or Regina. wtf....

Kiennor
07-31-2014, 04:54 AM
I know the two trainers/owners at a crossfit gym close to me(southern MD crossfit). Both are in great shape and are rather strong. It works for them and they love it. What I can't grasp is the price. $150/month for 4 classes a week.

a-dog
07-31-2014, 05:00 AM
I was watching the "games" on the tv at my bar and everyone around me kept asking, "isn't that bad for(insert joint)?". like even lay people know that the way these guys were doing things like the deadlift were just wrong and bad for you. seriously so many of the guys competing that day would have so much energy, time and pain if they had the slightest clue on how to properly to deadlift.

it's all about being catchy and trendy. when I heard that the men's final comp was called, "double Grace" I lost it.... I was hoping for double Miranda or Regina. wtf....

well bad form on anything is the person who is doing the movements fault.

I don't do alot of the movements they do (I have lower back issues so I don't even attempt some of the things). I think doing heavy olympic lifts for time is not the best idea in the world. I don't know how much benefit-as a BB-you would actually get out of that....there's a risk/reward aspect to it that I don't like.

I'm not defending CF, I'm just still saying there are things they do that I think ANYONE could incorperate and benefit from.

Nikonguy
07-31-2014, 05:56 AM
FFhndH1RdEk

ahawk01
07-31-2014, 08:50 AM

Agreed

Bigdumogre
07-31-2014, 08:52 AM
Main prob is the crappy crossfit gyms that are popping up everywhere. Legit gyms are great but it's the bad ones that are the majority that are giving it a bad name. I would try it once but only if the place is legit and does not do kipping

x-trainer ben
07-31-2014, 09:16 AM
I know the two trainers/owners at a crossfit gym close to me(southern MD crossfit). Both are in great shape and are rather strong. It works for them and they love it. What I can't grasp is the price. $150/month for 4 classes a week.

10 bucks a class +/-, about as much as a movie.

thnikkaman
07-31-2014, 09:33 AM
Not going to to Crossfit. Ever. Why? I know I like to push myself, and that's an easy way to push myself too far and end up with Rhabdomyolysis.

x-trainer ben
07-31-2014, 09:37 AM
just found this, any comments?

http://www.t-nation.com/training/bodybuilder-goes-crossfit

While the thinking used to be that CrossFit made guys weak, the average competitor in the CrossFit Games is very impressive.

•  Quite a few CrossFit girls have better physiques than some figure competitors, even without dieting.

•  There's something magical about being able to perform an explosive lift when you're metabolically fatigued and your heart rate is skyrocketing.

•  Doing submaximal lifting that focuses more on speed and density of work, like you do in CrossFit, is a great way to build muscle.

•  CrossFit can also get you lean fast, even with zero emphasis on nutrition.

thnikkaman
07-31-2014, 09:52 AM

While the thinking used to be that CrossFit made guys weak, the average competitor in the CrossFit Games is very impressive.

•  Quite a few CrossFit girls have better physiques than some figure competitors, even without dieting.

•  There's something magical about being able to perform an explosive lift when you're metabolically fatigued and your heart rate is skyrocketing.

•  Doing submaximal lifting that focuses more on speed and density of work, like you do in CrossFit, is a great way to build muscle.

Nobody is not saying it's not a high reward way to train, but it's also a high risk way to train. Injuries suck. I'll go slow and steady since I've got enough tail chasing me without having a cut physique.

Kiennor
07-31-2014, 10:13 AM
10 bucks a class +/-, about as much as a movie.

With no freedom to go in and workout on your own. You pay monthly and have to attend the classes offered at specific times. There are numerous commercial gyms in the vicinity and none are even half of that monthly price. Couples one month unlimited is $350...single person unlimited is $210. Compare that to whatever you would like but that just seems expensive to me. I currently pay $69/month for a family plan.

Capt_Lou
07-31-2014, 12:24 PM

Just because I play football 3-4 times a week, does not mean I will play like a professional.

Rich Froning himself has stated over and over he does not do the workout of the day.

Simpske
07-31-2014, 12:27 PM
Kipping Pushups
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view5/4683978/crossfit-pushups-o.gif (http://gifsoup.com/view/4683978/crossfit-pushups.html) GIFSoup (http://gifsoup.com)

a-dog
07-31-2014, 12:30 PM
With no freedom to go in and workout on your own. You pay monthly and have to attend the classes offered at specific times. There are numerous commercial gyms in the vicinity and none are even half of that monthly price. Couples one month unlimited is $350...single person unlimited is $210. Compare that to whatever you would like but that just seems expensive to me. I currently pay $69/month for a family plan.

no way could I justify paying anything over 100 bucks to work out.

I have a "real" gym that I can go to for 25 a month, I have a rec center I can go to for 25, a powerhouse just opened by me for 30 a month.

I cannot see any reason why it would be that expensive to train there...

I used to talk to one of the dabish clan (founders of powerhouse) about how running a gym works and knowing that I don't know how they can justify those costs.

thnikkaman
07-31-2014, 12:38 PM

I have a "real" gym that I can go to for 25 a month, I have a rec center I can go to for 25, a powerhouse just opened by me for 30 a month.

I used to talk to one of the dabish clan (founders of powerhouse) about how running a gym works and knowing that I don't know how they can justify those costs.

They justify those costs by the fact that people are willing to pay those costs.

a-dog
07-31-2014, 12:48 PM
They justify those costs by the fact that people are willing to pay those costs.

well then those people are idiots.

you have to be an idiot to pay that much. I'm sorry.

Kiennor
07-31-2014, 12:57 PM

I agree. Not to mention that my workout times greatly vary due to my work schedule/kids sports schedule. Paying that much and having to be there at specific times would never work for me.

MrNismo
07-31-2014, 01:19 PM
well then those people are idiots.

you have to be an idiot to pay that much. I'm sorry.
I take it that you use only generic brand foods, don't wear any name brand clothes and drive the cheapest beater you could find right? And you do this not because you're poor but because you'd be an idiot to pay for something that costs more simply because you decided to spend your own money how you see fit?

Simpske
07-31-2014, 01:23 PM
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view1/4775612/swole-o.gif (http://gifsoup.com/view/4775612/swole.html) GIFSoup (http://gifsoup.com)

a-dog
08-01-2014, 05:34 AM
I take it that you use only generic brand foods, don't wear any name brand clothes and drive the cheapest beater you could find right? And you do this not because you're poor but because you'd be an idiot to pay for something that costs more simply because you decided to spend your own money how you see fit?

and what is the value added when you pay for a crossfit box at a cost of 150 bucks a month?

I certainly see the value added when I buy a name brand food product in alot of cases as I have tried the "kroger" brands in alot of cases, when they are comparable I'll buy them (the store brand), I don't go out of my way to buy more expensive clothes simply cause they are more expensive. REally the statement that you made is pretty lame.

I mean if you can defend the cost of a CF box for a regular lifter or bodybuilder who has a mild interest in CF then go for it. Personally I don't see why anyone unless they are totally fanatic about CF would ever spend that kind of money.

they used to post WOD's on the CF website, one could theoretically just get the daily WOD from there (if they still post it, haven't been to the site in years) and go from there, there's no need to pay 150 bucks a month just to go ot a BOX and train. I used to "like" a crossfit place on facebook and they posted a WOD almost daily....again, no reason to go in. Now if you are struggling with a specific lift then I can see paying to go in and work on that aspect with someone but that would be more of a one on one situation.

Interestingly the CF games were on ESPN last night and I DVR'd them, I didn't watch them yet but I will this weekend.

MrNismo
08-01-2014, 09:21 AM
and what is the value added when you pay for a crossfit box at a cost of 150 bucks a month?
Assuming your instructor is actually versed in the lifts, you're getting a helluva deal on semi-personal training. If your instructor is not versed in the lifts and doesn't ensure correct form, you're at the wrong 'box'.

I certainly see the value added when I buy a name brand food product in alot of cases as I have tried the "kroger" brands in alot of cases, when they are comparable I'll buy them (the store brand), I don't go out of my way to buy more expensive clothes simply cause they are more expensive. REally the statement that you made is pretty lame.
You're like me then. If there is a cheaper option I'll almost always buy it. In case of Crossfit though I don't feel like there is much cheaper options if you need some training from someone more experienced. Plus the group synergy can be pretty awesome if you get a good group of folks. But the difference between us is that I won't label someone an idiot if they have the money and spend it on something when there is a cheaper option. I figure it's their money they can do as they want with it.

I mean if you can defend the cost of a CF box for a regular lifter or bodybuilder who has a mild interest in CF then go for it. Personally I don't see why anyone unless they are totally fanatic about CF would ever spend that kind of money.

I took issue with you saying people spending their money on something they choose to spend it on is an idiot. I'm not trying to defend crossfit or whatever else that might be.

they used to post WOD's on the CF website, one could theoretically just get the daily WOD from there (if they still post it, haven't been to the site in years) and go from there,
That's a great idea. There are some killer metabolic conditioning WODS with very basic moves that don't require any 'box' equipment.

there's no need to pay 150 bucks a month just to go ot a BOX and train. I used to "like" a crossfit place on facebook and they posted a WOD almost daily....again, no reason to go in. Now if you are struggling with a specific lift then I can see paying to go in and work on that aspect with someone but that would be more of a one on one situation.

Well, again just because you don't see any reason to spend your money on it I still don't quite understand why you consider someone else an idiot for spending their money. Especially when you already admitted above you will occasionally buy name brand food instead of Kroger brand. Is that extra money really going to benefit you beyond taste? I highly doubt nutritional differences would be enough to warrant the extra cost and taste is purely a personal opinion thing -- sort of like having your own personal opinion on whether crossfit is worth the extra over a conventional gym.

a-dog
08-01-2014, 09:25 AM
I don't understand why this has turned into a pissing match.

I think there are better things to spend your money on than an overpriced "box"

are you honestly so offended that I used the term "idiot"? lol, get over yourself.

lets just talk about the benefits or lack of benefits from using crossfit, how does that sound?

SteveWright1
08-01-2014, 09:53 AM
I am not anywhere near fit enough to train crossfit on a regular basis

have done 2 or 3 sessions of crossfit type training WOD, AMRAP, OTMEM etc
and I know when they are finished, I am much more fatigued than I would be doing a SL or 5/3/1 session

I have been fortunate enough to train on a 1 to 1 basis with a good mate who happens to be a crossfit trainer in UK

now I cannot speak for all crossfit gyms and all crossfit trainers
but I can say my mate, does not encourage me to do things poorly ( I do them poorly naturally) in order to get them done in the time
and on the 3 workouts we have done, he is constantly calling out form cues and not tempo increases etc

you pays your money (or your lucky like me and its FOC) and takes your chances

but crossfit is not for pussies - that much I certainly agree with

pharmamarketer
08-01-2014, 06:21 PM

You get those big 10 pound rubber weights that make it look like you are overhead pressing 225 then overhead squatting it for shtis and giggles.

In All seriousness it serves a purpose. But there are waaaaaaay too many DBs doing it and not well for that matter.

GuyJin
08-01-2014, 07:01 PM
DruDixon from this forum wrote a good article on kipping chinups. It's in the Over-35 Training Section and worth reading for the simple math he lays down explaining why kipping is NOT a good thing. It doesn't take a genius to figure out why, but his article is definitely worth reading.

GnomusMaximus
08-01-2014, 10:17 PM
Just to clarify, those 10lbs weights that look they are 45's were around A LONG time before crossfit. Oly lifters and throwers have been using them for years. They keep us from destroying the bars more than protecting the floor. If anything I like crossfit because you can now find things like bumper plates and cheap oly shoes for reasonable prices. Do you know how hard it was to find a set of shoes in the US before this? It was like 2 maybe three companies tops.

x-trainer ben
08-02-2014, 07:10 AM

are you honestly so offended that I used the term "idiot"? lol, get over yourself.

lets just talk about the benefits or lack of benefits from using crossfit, how does that sound?

I think that just like planet fitness vs. Golds Venice beach CA, that there are differIng levels and types of crossfit gyms. I bet some skew to the "soccer mom from the suburbs" and some skew to the competing crossfit athlete. It is a money maker that is popular like the iphone so SOME PEOPLE will pay.

Black Sunday
08-02-2014, 08:01 AM
Awhile back i came upon a video of Klokov doing the isabelle, 30 snatches for time. It was a side by side with Rich Froning. He beat Fronings time, but missed the 30th snatch on his first attempt. Rich's form seemed tighter at the end, but I really don't know that much about oly form. Video was removed due to copyright infringement, but I did find these of Klokov doing some cross fit stuff. This time he crushes it doing power snatches. The original video is the second one with a link to the Froning video as well. First vid was at a seminar in Iceland.

http://www.allthingsgym.com/dmitry-klokov-isabel-crossfit-workout/

MrNismo
08-02-2014, 12:09 PM

Whoa dude I honestly had no idea we were in a pissing match lol. I thought you made an overly broad statement claiming people who spent money on crossfit were idiots and I was just trying to give you a few examples where people also spend money on things that others might think are wasteful. Had zero plans to get in a pissing match so I'm sorry if that came off as my intention.

As far as benefits for me during my 6 months previously in crossfit:
-- Having someone knowledgeable in movement mechanics standing giving pointers on movements.
-- Group atmosphere. I agree this is not going to be a benefit to everyone. I personally can go either way. I feel I challenge myself well in the gym all alone but I did also enjoy having others going through hell alongside me in some of the WODs.
-- All around mobility weaknesses became more evident in doing things I normally wouldn't do like kipping pullups, assisted handstands and medicine ball squats.

Ultimately I knew that crossfit wasn't going to get me to my goals of lifting big (for me) on squat, bench and deadlift. But I absolutely am glad that I did it and I learned alot.

SP1966
08-02-2014, 01:02 PM
Crossfit isn't for pussies? Well no sh!t, penor is for pussies.

Did I somehow end up in the teen misc?

x-trainer ben
08-03-2014, 06:54 AM
http://www.theboxmag.com/crossfit-box-101/origins-of-crossfit/

a-dog
08-05-2014, 05:25 AM
I watched the games over the weekend. Not the finals but the ones leading up to the finals and I wasn't really inspired at all by them. Last year they were much better IMHO. They really focused on the competitors individually so when they did like the clean and press 'ladder" you could follow a guy and it was cool and it fired me up to get to the gym and train. this year they didn't do that at all.

I have a buddy who does CF in another frieds garage, they have a ton of equipement and asked me to train with them just so I can understand what they do. I'm not sure if I'm gonna take them up on that or not.

x-trainer ben
08-05-2014, 07:37 AM
I watched the games over the weekend. Not the finals but the ones leading up to the finals and I wasn't really inspired at all by them. Last year they were much better IMHO. They really focused on the competitors individually so when they did like the clean and press 'ladder" you could follow a guy and it was cool and it fired me up to get to the gym and train. this year they didn't do that at all.

I have a buddy who does CF in another frieds garage, they have a ton of equipement and asked me to train with them just so I can understand what they do. I'm not sure if I'm gonna take them up on that or not.

I say try everything in sports at least 1 time, kind of like how Bruce Lee took all the martial arts and fighting sports and combined them into his own. just my 2 cents

JN69
08-09-2014, 07:49 PM
crosssfit funds. let the idiots snap their ****.

Mumra
08-11-2014, 05:05 AM
went to a friend's crossfit gym saturday. we did the Barbara. while I have no idea what actually happened I do know there were kettle bells, my toes hurt and I had no idea that I could get my head that far up my own ass. then after we all sat in a big circle and talked about our feelings.

Frnkd
08-11-2014, 10:35 AM

Ive heard the way they do their pull-up also lend to serious shoulder injuries.

Mumra
08-12-2014, 04:45 AM
Ive heard the way they do their pull-up also lend to serious shoulder injuries.
yeah, I honestly don't see how someone can look at that and think that it is not a terrible idea to be dropping and jerking on your shoulders that hard. boggles the mind.