PDA

View Full Version : Earthquake!

2nd_chance
06-29-2014, 07:22 AM
I got to experience my first earthquake last night. It was a 5.2. Strong enough to shake the house. It was actually pretty cool.

paolo59
06-29-2014, 07:36 AM
Ha ha! I've never had to go through one of those. Well, one large enough to run you out of the house anyway. I suppose there were little tremors when I lived in Mexico City, there are almost daily. But nothing that really shook things around big time. An earthquake is one of nature's gifts that I don't care to ever experience! Give me a tornado or a hurricane, just keep the ground under my feet nice and still! :)

ArchAngel'73
06-29-2014, 07:39 AM
When the fiery chasms of hell open up and swallow you and your home I'm thinking you won't find it "pretty cool" then!
:D

Glad ur safe brah.

ChazWood
06-29-2014, 07:50 AM
When the fiery chasms of hell open up and swallow you and your home I'm thinking you won't find it "pretty cool" then!
:D.
Oh you! Always with the drama... :D

haha, seriously. My own experience with an earthquake was while sitting at a desk near the top floor of a highrise tower. A pen began rolling across my desk and then there was this horrible swaying sensation. Very unnerving!

paolo59
06-29-2014, 07:55 AM
Oh you! Always with the drama... :D

haha, seriously. My own experience with an earthquake was while sitting at a desk near the top floor of a highrise tower. A pen began rolling across my desk and then there was this horrible swaying sensation. Very unnerving!

LOL Horrifying! :( I've never ridden a buckin' bronco, and don't want to. I'll be content to never experience a real earthquake!

Wayne Evans
06-29-2014, 08:14 AM
Ha ha! I've never had to go through one of those. Give me a tornado or a hurricane, just keep the ground under my feet nice and still! :)

I've been through several earthquakes but the 1989 Loma Prieta was the biggest I recall.

BOLD: :) not me....I'll take an EQ anytime over a tornado or hurricane. (never been through either I might add)
In a one story dwelling I would not be worried and just ride it out.
If I was stuck in a high-rise during a quake that could modify my opinion.

Being a geology/music major I was involved with a few very cool geology projects during college and doing work for the USGS.

Hunker down everyone....

paolo59
06-29-2014, 08:28 AM
I've been through several earthquakes but the 1989 Loma Prieta was the biggest I recall.

BOLD: :) not me....I'll take an EQ anytime over a tornado or hurricane. (never been through either I might add)
If I was stuck in a high-rise during a quake that could modify my opinion.

Being a geology/music major I was involved with a few very cool geology projects during college and doing work for the USGS.

Hunker down everyone....

LOL What do they say? 'Familiarity breeds contempt.' I guess it's all a matter of what we've seen and experienced. I've seen tornadoes dance across the horizon, thankfully have never experienced the full force of one. Been through 2 or 3 hurricanes. Ha! Earthquakes and volcanoes are a bit much for this Oklahoma boy. :)

whatevergirl
06-29-2014, 08:40 AM
It took an earthquake to get you to post here again? :D Nice seeing you, and just glad you were okay. I've never experienced one...I imagine some more than others can be a downright scary experience?

cowboybiker
06-29-2014, 08:57 AM
You'll never know the joy of being tossed from a waterbed during an earthquake.

Now I just sleep through them.

Cass40
06-29-2014, 09:02 AM

Now I just sleep through them.

Lol :D Yeah, usually earthquakes happen when I'm sleeping.
Never feel like waking up. I just kinda hope it's not a big one, or that nothing is going to fall on my head.
It feels like someone is shaking the bed.

Wayne Evans
06-29-2014, 09:12 AM
LOL What do they say? 'Familiarity breeds contempt.' I guess it's all a matter of what we've seen and experienced. Ha! Earthquakes and volcanoes are a bit much for this Oklahoma boy. :)

Ha....yes...that's what they say.

Holy shvt....'volcanoes'...now those are very worrisome to me.
The first thing I ponder is the gigantic Yellowstone super volcano/caldera.
Last eruption about 640K years ago and now supposedly overdue for the next one.
Seismic activity may be off the seismograph if that muther decides to blow. :)

Back to topic....

Corbi
06-29-2014, 04:21 PM
I got to experience my first earthquake last night. It was a 5.2. Strong enough to shake the house. It was actually pretty cool.

An earthquake is on my bucketlist of things to experience as is a tornado. Already been thru a Hurricane so that's crossed off.

bodyhard
06-29-2014, 04:24 PM
Holy f'ck look what the cat brought in!!

What up kid!

DocHoss
06-29-2014, 09:57 PM
I used to get earthquakes a lot when I was in Hawai'i. Now that I'm in California, hardly any. You know who is suddenly getting earthquakes out the wazoo? Oklahoma. They think it's due to fracking.

They say that single story wood frame are some of the safest places to be. I drove around after the Northridge quake in '94 and the houses were all fine (other than a lot of toppled chimeys); it was the parking garages and apartment buildings that collapsed.

Being a geology/music major
Ever conduct an avalanche in E Flat? :D

Ha....yes...that's what they say.

Holy shvt....'volcanoes'...now those are very worrisome to me.
The first thing I ponder is the gigantic Yellowstone super volcano/caldera.
Last eruption about 640K years ago and now supposedly overdue for the next one.
Seismic activity may be off the seismograph if that muther decides to blow. :)

Back to topic....
To be perfectly honest, that is not something I stay up nights worrying about. . .

paolo59
06-29-2014, 11:02 PM
I think most earthquakes show up in F Sharp minor. Or another of those 'off base' keys that pull at your heart strings. Well, if the composer knew anything about melody lines. All one needs is a hauntingly beautiful score, and one big, fat *$$*# woman hitting a particularly high note...with a Viking helmet on her freakin' head! :) That would 'bring down' the most 'storied' of buildings! :)

Wayne Evans
06-29-2014, 11:11 PM
I used to get earthquakes a lot when I was in Hawai'i. Now that I'm in California, hardly any. You know who is suddenly getting earthquakes out the wazoo? Oklahoma. They think it's due to fracking.

No....not in Eb....D# works well and has some great harmonics. :)

I don't lose sleep over any of it either.
I'm no alarmist about anything.
I just see an unpredictable volcano to be of more concern in general.

If one is familiar with earthly dynamics it's not such a big deal....just Mother Earth going through it's cyclical gyrations and being aware and prepared.

I love the sciences.....do carry on....

paolo59
06-29-2014, 11:19 PM
No....not in Eb....D# works well and has some great harmonics. :)

I don't lose sleep over any of it either.
I'm no alarmist about anything.
I just see an unpredictable volcano to be of more concern in general.

If one is familiar with earthly dynamics it's not such a big deal....just Mother Earth going through it's cyclical gyrations and being aware and prepared.

I love the sciences.....do carry on....

LOL I remember some years ago...a commercial. Something about margarine/butter...lightning and a 'wild-eyed' crazy old lady smiling and saying..."Don't mess with Mother Nature!" LOL She is one impressive thing! :) Our politicians seem to think they've 'figured her out!' LMAO Just who can figure out 'Mother Nature?' She's wild, untamed, and she doesn't even give a single ($%* to what we do, or don't do! :) Makes me feel good, as old as I am.

IronCharles
06-29-2014, 11:39 PM

Got tossed out of a metal bunk bed by one once. Glad I was sleeping in the lower bunk! ;)

Never seen a (big) tornado, and only been in a hurricane when I was a toddler. I do vividly remember watching Mt St Helens explode, though. Unfortunately, I had left the windows rolled down in my car, and was not near it at the time. Never did get all the ash out of it.

GuyJin
06-29-2014, 11:45 PM
I live in a land of earthquakes and live near a fault line...a major fault line.

Then again, Japan is one major fault line. As someone who experienced the early morning disruption of the Great Hanshin Earthquake years back, I can honestly tell you it ain't exciting at all. I don't care how big or strong or fast or tough you are or think you are, in the hands of Mother Nature you are a tiny ant and she is the boot.

Karl_Hungus
06-29-2014, 11:48 PM
Only went to LA once and experienced two earthquakes in one night. One was 7.3 and the other was 6.3. Was not a fan of the earthquakes.

I do vividly remember watching Mt St Helens explode, though. Unfortunately, I had left the windows rolled down in my car, and was not near it at the time. Never did get all the ash out of it.

Yup, I remember that. Was at a friends house, and wondered where all this dirt was coming from that was raining down on us. I was kid then, so like a kid I stayed outside in the middle of it, breathing it in, getting it in my eyes etc. Only later found out it was a volcanic eruption. Covered our entire town in a couple inches of ash. My dad went out and scooped some up and put it in a jar. We still have it sitting around at my parents house.

paolo59
06-29-2014, 11:51 PM
Got tossed out of a metal bunk bed by one once. Glad I was sleeping in the lower bunk! ;)

Never seen a (big) tornado, and only been in a hurricane when I was a toddler. I do vividly remember watching Mt St Helens explode, though. Unfortunately, I had left the windows rolled down in my car, and was not near it at the time. Never did get all the ash out of it.

I think sometimes, we get all 'full or ourselves' and lose sight. We make a difference? Ha ha...about as much difference as the dinosaurs! :) I somehow like knowing that there is something so much greater, bigger, than myself. Doesn't take much! LOL "What is man?" Ha! This planet will one day shake us off as if we hadn't ever walked its' surface! :)

And in the meanwhile, I'll just walk around, starry eyed, amazed, and simply enjoy! :)

2nd_chance
06-30-2014, 12:59 AM
Holy f'ck look what the cat brought in!!

What up kid!

You're looking huge in the avi

Wayne Evans
06-30-2014, 07:25 AM
I live in a land of earthquakes and live near a fault line...a major fault line. Then again, Japan is one major fault line....in the hands of Mother Nature you are a tiny ant and she is the boot.

Yes, you certainly do weed hopper.
Hmmm.....how does one say 'ring of fire' in Japanese. :)

paulo59....
"This planet will one day shake us off as if we hadn't ever walked its' surface!"
Correcto.

A good day to all....

GuyJin
06-30-2014, 07:37 AM
Hmmm.....how does one say 'ring of fire' in Japanese. :)

---

Answer: "You live in Japan, earthquake happen, you phukked!"

Truthfully, as scary as shakers are, you can't think about them or you'll go nuts. Life goes on, y'know?

Oceanside
06-30-2014, 07:48 AM
Eathquakes are gods way of punishing Japan for not killing Godzilla before he came to America ....

a lot of people don't know that !

GuyJin
06-30-2014, 07:52 AM
Godzilla...meet Fluffy.

Guess who wins?

Wayne Evans
06-30-2014, 07:54 AM
Answer: "You live in Japan, earthquake happen, you phukked!" :D Truthfully, as scary as shakers are, you can't think about them or you'll go nuts. Life goes on, y'know?

Yep....right up until Mother Nature determines otherwise. :)

Back to topic....

beachguy498
06-30-2014, 08:42 AM
I've only experienced one earthquake here in NY, think it was 3 years back. I was at my desk at work and it felt like some wiseass was shaking the back of my chair... I turn and nobody was there! My wife was working in a new glass building, I called her right away and everyone had gone outside to wait it out. There was no damage that I heard of.

Hurricanes, I've ridden out many of them. Wind and damage-wise, Gloria in 1985 was pretty scary. I had drove down by the bay that morning and lots of boats were almost over the bulkheads, most of them would wind up on land before it was over. It came with a ton of rain and the ground was soaked, so lots of trees and telephone poles came down. Irene in 2011 came with a lot of wind damage and some coastal flooding, nothing like Sandy in 2012. The storm surge with that caused lots of houses to be damaged beyone repair. I was down by the bay a few days ago, they're raising a lot of the older houses up on pilings. I think the government is picking up the tab for some of it.

Tornadoes... no thanks. I saw the aftermath of an F5 in western Pennsylvania/ Eastern Ohio in 1985. An entire strip mall, cleaned right down to the slab, nothing left.