PDA

View Full Version : Eating for a Bulk

DirtyMax911
06-29-2014, 06:05 AM
I plan on starting a bulk really soon but don't quite understand it fully I believe. I know that you have to eat in a calorie surplus and that you should consume 1.1-1.5g of protein per lb of lean body weight, and .5g per lb of lean body weight. What I don't understand is the rest of the calories which should be carbs, and from what I've calculated using the formula in the first sticky would be over 350g of carbs compared to 90g fat and 170g of protein.

My question is most people here and from what I have heard suggest really calorie dense foods like pop-tarts, and donuts to fill up those carbs, but if you are eating those wouldn't they add fat instead of lean muscle? Wouldn't it be better to eat more chicken or turkey and have more protein? Just curious to the science behind it if someone could explain and/or point me in the direction of a good book that I could look into that would help me learn more on this subject.

paulup
06-29-2014, 06:34 AM
The rest of the calories should not be just carbs unless you want them to be. They are your Discretionary Calorie Allowance.

Start here: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=133634471

nightanole
06-29-2014, 06:37 AM
350g of carbs compared to 90g fat and 170g of protein. That is the most intelligent thing ive read here in a while. Those are dam near perfect for a bulk.

Onto foods, Normally on a bulk you just add more meals or a shake, the bulk is only going to be (or should be) a 250-500 cal surplus, thats like 1 extra meal if you are doing the six meals a day thing. It doesnt matter what you fill that surplus with as long as you hit your 90 grams of fats and 170 grams of protein. You should really be upping the progression on the lifts to take advantage of the bulk, so if you are not performing great, you want the majority of the surplus to be carbs. Now if you are performing great regardless of carb intake, you can fill in those extra calories with whatever you want (shots of olive oil, pop tarts, extra steak). What extras you eat are not going to make you fat, what will make you fat is if you over shoot your calories, then the extra calories will be stored as fat.

Id also up the veggies for the micronutrients, but you really cant bulk on them due to the ultra low cals, but hey if you want to bulk on 2kg of spinach a day, go for it.

afries
06-29-2014, 06:49 AM
hit your protein and fats and the rest carbs. mainly eat good carb sources oats, rice, etc throw in some fruit too (i like fruit pre workout and a sugary carb post)

DirtyMax911
06-29-2014, 12:04 PM
ahh ok I see more carbs will help perform better in my workouts leading to better gains...that makes sense can't believe I didn't see that before.

gbullock32
06-29-2014, 12:25 PM
ahh ok I see more carbs will help perform better in my workouts leading to better gains...that makes sense can't believe I didn't see that before.Not always, some people do better with low carbs and more fat/protein; try out different things to see what works best for you.

Example- High carb meals make me tired so I eat most of my carbs right before bed, knocks me right out and when I train it's in an overnight fasted state.