PDA

View Full Version : Carbohydrate powder yes or no?

WillG48
06-28-2014, 08:08 PM
Hey guys,
So on my bulk I have to eat roughly 500g of carbs. Because of this, I have to try and eat as much carb rich foods as possible, but I can't seem to do it. My question is, will a carbohydrate supplement be worth it to hit my macros? Or is it a waste of money and bogus. Thanks

Daemonium
06-28-2014, 08:13 PM
If youre really having trouble hitting your macros then by all means go for it. This doesn't mean you have to drop huge $ on a carb supp though. Just throw a gatorade in here and there. Or better yet, drink a few glasses of juice through the day.

You could always try a gallon of chocolate milk a day for serious gains.

MuscleUpCrohns
06-28-2014, 08:16 PM
If youre really having trouble hitting your macros then by all means go for it. This doesn't mean you have to drop huge $ on a carb supp though
This. I try to get all of my carbs from whole foods, but there are days where I'm on the run and need some carb powder to get enough carbs. There are so many cheap sources of carbs from food that taste great, so only use powders if you can't do it with food alone.

fast00
06-28-2014, 08:26 PM
I enjoy power carbs pre workout feel it helps
Thats just me thou

WillG48
06-28-2014, 08:37 PM
This. I try to get all of my carbs from whole foods, but there are days where I'm on the run and need some carb powder to get enough carbs. There are so many cheap sources of carbs from food that taste great, so only use powders if you can't do it with food alone.
Do you suggest any good powders for cheap on bb.com?

MuscleUpCrohns
06-28-2014, 08:46 PM
I just go for dextrose with my post-workout shake, and usually maltodextrin with some whey other times, like when I'm out all day. They're both cheap enough and don't ruin the taste of shakes. NOW sells both on bb.com, and some other companies probably do as well.

dbrock504
06-28-2014, 09:01 PM
Sometimes I have a hard time getting in my carbs as well, so I throw a scoop of Carb Complex into my protein shake. It's 28g of complex carb. Unflavored and mixes super awesome. It's made by Nu-Tek. I know some guys that like the Karbolyn.

NightmareMan13
06-28-2014, 09:08 PM
I get all my carbs from food. But I see nothing wrong with using powders to help you meet your goals. I find it hard meeting my calories now. When I was on even higher calories about 10 years back, I was on the weight gainer like crazy. I say whatever works best for you. If you work long hours, getting all your macros from food can be hard. Just don't get ALL your macros(including both carbs and proteins) from JUST powder. Get as much of it from food as possible, and use powders to get that last bit to the top.

LEZA1990LEZA
06-28-2014, 09:39 PM
I enjoy power carbs pre workout feel it helps
Thats just me thou

OregonBBinc
06-28-2014, 09:51 PM
personally i feel like carb/calories powders/gainer are a bad idea when used to compensate a lack of doing something. learn how to eat, take supplements for convenience. when people say they cant do something without supplements it often leads to not being sustainable. youll notice some guys like crohns say they take a carb supp on random days due to circumstance and that is more ideal. but these is merely my opinion not some set in stone rule.

SiZzLaX
06-28-2014, 11:11 PM
with your stats how is 500g of carbs not enough?... unless your eating no fats or protein

Daemonium
06-29-2014, 05:53 AM
with your stats how is 500g of carbs not enough?... unless your eating no fats or protein

He's saying he has trouble getting 500g of carbs.

kardoxo
06-29-2014, 06:23 AM
If youre having trouble hitting your carbs, then yes!
I am sure that youre not having appetite problems everyday so I recommend you to drink some Gatorade or fruit juice intra workout whenever you struggle eating.

There are also many great carb powders that you can buy.

TMac26
06-29-2014, 06:24 AM
Don't buy a carb powder.

Just buy bulk Dextrose or Oat Powder. 100x cheaper.

andrewwww
06-29-2014, 06:48 AM
some gatorade mix will be fine, intra/post

bdillingham5
06-29-2014, 07:39 AM

Find a local beer and wine supply store and buy bulk Dextrose. I can buy 5lbs for $8 out here.

RHK89
06-29-2014, 08:58 AM
Buy gatorade or gatorade powder. Find whatever juice is on sale at your local supermarket and stock up.

The Solution
06-29-2014, 09:17 AM
If you want a carb powder i would highly suggest Glycofuse of HBCD. Those would be some of the more popular choices. I know John Meadows is a major advocate of HBCD

Personally Food should be #1, but carb powders would benefit an endurance athlete or those training in a fasted state.

AMeyer9
06-29-2014, 09:27 AM
I'd personally look into Whole Oat powder/flour. Usually adds another 5-10g's of protein (depending on serving size obviously). My problem with dextrose is it's just too sweet, and maltodextrin doesn't mix very well in my opinion. Oat powder/flour might run you a little more than the other two mentioned, but I think it's worth it.

aaronuconn
06-29-2014, 10:07 AM
Grind up oatmeal.

80benrichards
06-30-2014, 03:47 AM
Food first...

but if you insist, http://ca.bodybuilding.com/store/beast-sports-nutrition/primocarb.html