PDA

View Full Version : Don't Let Anger Get The Best of You

so-tex
06-28-2014, 05:16 PM
I did, and it cost me my job of 23 years. I'm usually a happy go lucky mild mannerd person 98% of the time. It's really hard to get me angered, but when I do, I totally lose it. I think I'm gonna go to anger management class or something like that. I'm pretty tore up about this. I should have known better.

Old-Time-Lifter
06-28-2014, 05:22 PM
Sorry to read this :(

Perhaps the class would be a good idea, hopefully you have some resources to get you by until you can find a new job. Hopefully that one will be without annoyances.

so-tex
06-28-2014, 05:26 PM
Sorry to read this :(

Perhaps the class would be a good idea, hopefully you have some resources to get you by until you can find a new job. Hopefully that one will be without annoyances.

Thanks Roy. Yes I do have some resources and I'm on a system with my former job that will allow me to retire in two years.

GuyJin
06-28-2014, 05:27 PM
Sorry to hear about this, Bill. I hope you can finish out your term with that former job you mentioned and not have to worry about making a living.

paolo59
06-28-2014, 05:36 PM
Really sorry to hear of this. I can certainly understand the frustration at times. :(

so-tex
06-28-2014, 05:38 PM
Sorry to hear about this, Bill. I hope you can finish out your term with that former job you mentioned and not have to worry about making a living.

Thanks Jess. I just heard about it from a coworker. I'm pretty shocked to say the least. My evaluations have always been good. They are supposed to inform me Monday morning.

mikieson
06-28-2014, 05:40 PM
Sorry about your issues..life can be a pain at times..good luck

so-tex
06-28-2014, 05:44 PM
Really sorry to hear of this. I can certainly understand the frustration at times. :(

Frustrated? Exactly. I'm the 2nd most tenured inspector they have and times have changed. I always help the rapidly disappearing mom and pop businesses out. Our director does not like this practice. We are currently forming a HACCP program that will eventually drive out small agriculture.

latebloomingmom
06-28-2014, 05:47 PM
Frustrated? Exactly. I'm the 2nd most tenured inspector they have and times have changed. I always help the rapidly disappearing mom and pop businesses out. Our director does not like this practice. We are currently forming a HACCP program that will eventually drive out small agriculture.

what did you say? did you stand up for what you see as an injustice? did you speak your mind instead of keeping the peace?

paolo59
06-28-2014, 05:52 PM
what did you say? did you stand up for what you see as an injustice? did you speak your mind instead of keeping the peace?

We can't have that! It's go with the flow, follow the prescribed program, don't rock the boat, shut up and just do what you're told...regardless of the injustice, stupidity, waste and mismanagement. :(

latebloomingmom
06-28-2014, 05:56 PM
for you So-Tex
Z_s-Qk07KxA

so-tex
06-28-2014, 05:59 PM
The termination has nothing to do injustice. I threatened a coworker. Now, before y'all judge me, this guy is a jerk, and none of the other inspectors like him. I was still so pissed when our director had me on a conference call, I let loose with my mouth. Nobody to blame but me.

so-tex
06-28-2014, 06:02 PM
for you So-Tex
Z_s-Qk07KxA

It won't allow me to view it from my phone.

latebloomingmom
06-28-2014, 06:04 PM
you can listen to it later..ya know..aint nobody on this planet understands a temper more than me..as you said it takes a lot to get you that steamed

so-tex
06-28-2014, 06:04 PM
We can't have that! It's go with the flow, follow the prescribed program, don't rock the boat, shut up and just do what you're told...regardless of the injustice, stupidity, waste and mismanagement. :(

Exactly. I had a rebel moment.

Cass40
06-28-2014, 06:08 PM
Oh I'm sorry :(. *hugs*

Maybe you can just apologize, and won't lose your job over one mistake. We all make mistakes.

I used to say horrible things to my boss all the time, but he didn't care. He just said that my punishment was that I'll never get fired, and have to work there forever.

doughnutgut
06-28-2014, 06:09 PM
Sorry about this So Tex. Anger, believe it or not. Has been an issue in my life that I have had to control with therapy.

A good idea is to arm yourself with a plan of action for Monday and show that you are looking to seek assistance with this flaw. It can yield a slightly better chance in your case. Also pleading that there are issues at home at present that have you out of sorts. Of course this may be a lie. But a lie may actually allow you to hold on to your job.

Either way. I hope you get to deal with the issue. I had to become more process driven. Allow a small amount of extra thought before actioning my mouth and hands. Seems to have done the trick.

whatevergirl
06-28-2014, 06:21 PM
Oh gosh, so-tex! Im so sorry to read this! :(

Sometimes things happen though to get us to reflect on areas we need to change. If you go to any classes to help you, you might find you're angry at something you've buried in the back of your mind. Often, when I see people lash out at others, they are angry over an entirely different matter and it comes out in that way. If you lash out a lot, that could be the case.

In a work setting, it can be hard to ignore jerks etc...so I can understand how it might have played out.

You seem like such a sweet man, I hate to see you sad. Things have a way of working out, one way or the other. I hope that they rethink the termination.

so-tex
06-28-2014, 06:21 PM
Sorry about this So Tex. Anger, believe it or not. Has been an issue in my life that I have had to control with therapy.

A good idea is to arm yourself with a plan of action for Monday and show that you are looking to seek assistance with this flaw. It can yield a slightly better chance in your case. Also pleading that there are issues at home at present that have you out of sorts. Of course this may be a lie. But a lie may actually allow you to hold on to your job.

Either way. I hope you get to deal with the issue. I had to become more process driven. Allow a small amount of extra thought before actioning my mouth and hands. Seems to have done the trick.

Thanks Leigh. No, I'm going to let them terminate me. The area of Texas I work in is a very difficult place to work if you're not from here. You need to be bilingual and white in order to succes. I know this sounds racist, but Hispanics don't like taking orders from other Hispanics, and white people hate taking orders from them as well. I'm going to offer my replacement all the help he needs if they will allow me to do so.

SP1966
06-28-2014, 06:33 PM
Wingstop will ease the pain!

;)

Corbi
06-28-2014, 06:40 PM
_1jXUPVHToY

cowboybiker
06-28-2014, 06:42 PM
Sorry to hear bro.
I know this is hard on you and I hope that you make the right decisions as you deal with this.
Stay strong brother.

so-tex
06-28-2014, 06:52 PM
Oh gosh, so-tex! Im so sorry to read this! :(

Sometimes things happen though to get us to reflect on areas we need to change. If you go to any classes to help you, you might find you're angry at something you've buried in the back of your mind. Often, when I see people lash out at others, they are angry over an entirely different matter and it comes out in that way. If you lash out a lot, that could be the case.

In a work setting, it can be hard to ignore jerks etc...so I can understand how it might have played out.

You seem like such a sweet man, I hate to see you sad. Things have a way of working out, one way or the other. I hope that they rethink the termination.

Thanks WEG, I really am a gentle guy. My father was the same way. I probably can count on one hand the number of times when he lost his temper. It's very weird how much your adrenaline can build up. I remember as a kid that my dad got so mad at a horse, hit him square between the eyes and the horse literally wen down on all fours.

Brackneyc
06-28-2014, 06:53 PM
I used to say horrible things to my boss all the time, but he didn't care. He just said that my punishment was that I'll never get fired, and have to work there forever.

I think you could sue him for that. :D

dougefresh93
06-28-2014, 06:57 PM
Sorry to hear dis... Chin up OP, stay strong, you will make something good of all this!

Good luck.

bodyhard
06-28-2014, 07:01 PM
I know this all too well...

Sorry to hear about the job loss though, hope all goes well for you.

so-tex
06-28-2014, 07:05 PM
Sorry to hear dis... Chin up OP, stay strong, you will make something good of all this!

Good luck.

Thanks Douge. I'm still high on the Hitt products. For those of you that don't know, go to the Hitt products site here. They're a small company, but their products are awesome.

so-tex
06-28-2014, 07:07 PM
Sorry to hear bro.
I know this is hard on you and I hope that you make the right decisions as you deal with this.
Stay strong brother.

CBB wisdom. You're right.

so-tex
06-28-2014, 07:08 PM
I know this all too well...

Sorry to hear about the job loss though, hope all goes well for you.

Thanks John.

mcbourque
06-28-2014, 07:15 PM
Oh no. I'm really sorry to hear that. That sort of thing happens to even the most easy-going of us. Sometimes frustrating situations get the best of us - no one is perfect.
Termination does sound extreme though. Hope you get back on your feet pretty soon!

Corbi
06-28-2014, 07:19 PM
Getting fired isn' always that bad, a lot of times it's a good thing and can lead to much better opportunities. Don't think of this as the end of a job but rather a new beginning, went thru it myself 12 yrs ago and came out worlds ahead and better off.

Cass40
06-28-2014, 07:29 PM
Getting fired isn' always that bad, a lot of times it's a good thing and can lead to much better opportunities. Don't think of this as the end of a job but rather a new beginning, went thru it myself 12 yrs ago and came out worlds ahead and better off.

This is actually a very good point!

Usually things happen for a reason.

so-tex
06-28-2014, 07:36 PM
Getting fired isn' always that bad, a lot of times it's a good thing and can lead to much better opportunities. Don't think of this as the end of a job but rather a new beginning, went thru it myself 12 yrs ago and came out worlds ahead and better off.Maybe so.'My job was requiring more travel and more nights away from the house. I had to sell off all my cattle and give up most of the farming operation because of this.

Fishman15
06-28-2014, 07:41 PM
Sorry to hear about this tex. I know the feeling too although it was a very long time ago when I blew up on a very unreasonable customer. As others have said too, it often leads to a better job which it did for me. Good luck...

Phattso
06-28-2014, 08:00 PM
I agree with Corbs. It's a hard lick to the ego to get fired and your anger is focused on the people who have done you wrong. But, even though those feelings are normal, you need to kick in the survival instinct and recognize it as an opportunity to improve everything in your life.

New and better doors will open. It is up to you to make the right door choice.

You will figure it out.

frozensparky
06-28-2014, 08:15 PM
I can relate with letting anger get the best of me. I had a situation Friday I should have thought through a bit better but I was lucky there isn't any major consequences.

Sorry to hear about the job but take it as an opportunity like Corbi said

crupiea
06-28-2014, 09:33 PM
I did, and it cost me my job of 23 years. I'm usually a happy go lucky mild mannerd person 98% of the time. It's really hard to get me angered, but when I do, I totally lose it. I think I'm gonna go to anger management class or something like that. I'm pretty tore up about this. I should have known better.

Good job so tex.

hold your head high.

I can only hope you did us all proud and left an upper decker on your way out.

Years from now you wont regret this day. you will laugh at it!!

Go in glory my friend and set a new path for yourself.

You alone make choose your destiny. no one else.

When people say they were given an opportunity, they usually have it wrong. They confuse an easy gift with an opportunity

When opportunity knocks its usually in a bad way.

Opportunity is not getting a chance to fight the champ. Opportunity is when the champ knocks yous ass into the canvas and you have to take a stand. you have to make a choice to lay there or get back up.

Thats opportunity.

You got knocked down by the champ, most people never experience it.

Now is the time to make your decision.

poundXpound
06-28-2014, 09:40 PM
Bummer of a situation. I hope a new door opens for you as this one closes.

so-tex
06-28-2014, 09:49 PM
Good job so tex.

hold your head high.

I can only hope you did us all proud and left an upper decker on your way out.

Years from now you wont regret this day. you will laugh at it!!

Go in glory my friend and set a new path for yourself.

You alone make choose your destiny. no one else.

When people say they were given an opportunity, they usually have it wrong. They confuse an easy gift with an opportunity

When opportunity knocks its usually in a bad way.

Opportunity is not getting a chance to fight the champ. Opportunity is when the champ knocks yous ass into the canvas and you have to take a stand. you have to make a choice to lay there or get back up.

Thats opportunity.

You got knocked down by the champ, most people never experience it.

Now is the time to make your decision.

1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8....lol Crup. Great metaphor. I truly appreciate everybody's advice here. Y'all have really helped me out here. :)

Big_Sky_Guy
06-28-2014, 10:07 PM
Sorry to hear it.

I deal with complaints, cantankerousness, and straight on hostility what feels like once a week. Once every few years someone gets me on a day or with an approach/attitude that pushes my buttons one too many times and it takes everything I have to disengage, or do/say things that would cost my job.

So, I've found people to talk me off the cliff with responsible parties and co-workers, the boss, etc. That way things don't build up.

Good luck getting everything back on track

ChazWood
06-28-2014, 11:06 PM
Sorry to hear this news brother. Don't beat yourself up, what's done is done. Keep you chin up and fight on. :)

I can relate with letting anger get the best of me. I had a situation Friday I should have thought through a bit better but I was lucky there isn't any major consequences.
No body, no crime... very smart. Keeping that shovel in the truck has probably saved your ass more than once!

paolo59
06-29-2014, 12:07 AM
Tomorrow is Sunday. Put some fajitas on the grill, some of those 10/30 onions...a big pot of frijoles a la charra, corn tortillas. Manda a medio mundo a la mera chingada, and just enjoy life! :) La vida vale la pena. Equivocado o no, lo que es...es. Eso nunca nos ha quitado nada hermano! :)

Oceanside
06-29-2014, 12:20 AM

call ya tomorrow.

jeffaus
06-29-2014, 04:20 AM
Sorry to hear about this Bill, but Corbi is right in some respects. Life has it's ups and downs mate, as long as you have enough finances to get by, you now have an opportunity to do something for you. You are now in control of what happens next, make it count for you. PM me if you want to talk, I'll give you my email, Skype and phone number. Opportunities are everywhere Bill, just need to lift your head above the rest of the crowd to see them.

NorwichGrad
06-29-2014, 04:40 AM
Sorry to hear, Tex.

Things will work out at the end. I'm sure others learned from this. The coworker you blew up on will probably realize he's a total prick and maybe he will treat others with a bit more respect in the future. Your colleagues will hopefully learn from you that it's okay to stand up for themselves once in a while.

As for yourself, you can still look in the mirror with pride. Yeah, you made a mistake, but it sounds like the situation had been brewing and the hot balloon kept on expanding looking for a needle to bust. And you happened to be that needle.

steffo99
06-29-2014, 04:44 AM
Sorry to hear this. Hope it all works out for you, you crazy texan.

beachguy498
06-29-2014, 05:20 AM
Wow, 23 years... just think about showing up with a lawyer on Monday in case you change your mind.

I used to have temper issues, if I got past the 3-week mark at a new job, it was a sign I'd be there for a while. My boss at work (2 levels up) calls me Cool Hand because he's noticed that I'm able to keep calm in the worst dealings I have with jerks at work.

At times, I tell people that I have to walk away from them or on the phone I just say, we shouldn't be talking right now. And it works.

Rob

Nikonguy
06-29-2014, 05:42 AM
I know that feel :(

Take Paolo's advice.

UnaChispita
06-29-2014, 06:13 AM
Oh no Bill! :(

I'm sending prayers your way. Hang in there.

JediRN
06-29-2014, 07:42 AM
23 years...fuark. hope things swing your way.

Brackneyc
06-29-2014, 07:48 AM
Wow, 23 years... just think about showing up with a lawyer on Monday in case you change your mind.

I used to have temper issues, if I got past the 3-week mark at a new job, it was a sign I'd be there for a while. My boss at work (2 levels up) calls me Cool Hand because he's noticed that I'm able to keep calm in the worst dealings I have with jerks at work.

At times, I tell people that I have to walk away from them or on the phone I just say, we shouldn't be talking right now. And it works.

Rob

It sucks that this went down the way it did. With that said, what would he accomplish by showing up with a lawyer? He made a mistake and let his emotions get the best of him. Sadly, everyone is replaceable, and as am employer, I'd have done the same thing in most cases.

DocHoss
06-29-2014, 07:53 AM
Really sorry to hear that - that sucks. Even more so since you blame yourself.

I hope you make it through everything OK. You have a lot of support here.

eomrat
06-29-2014, 08:04 AM
Bill has a great deal of integrity and has that type of value system that will not allow him to get a lawyer or make a fuss or cause problems for his employer. He screwed up, he knows it, and he will deal with the consequences like a man. Bill is far more inclined whip somebodies ass than he is to sue them.

Bill also probably will be financially better off now. He has plenty of options from starting back ranching to becoming a consultant. A reputation in South Texas, built up over 30 years, is a very valuable commodity and his extensive knowledge of farming and ranching is worth gold where he lives.

I am sorry for him that he is embarrassed, but I aint worried at all about his pocketbook.

deadwoodgregg
06-29-2014, 08:06 AM
Wow...that is a tough one to take. My reaction would be to take a different path as if that was the direction that was meant for my life. Whatever you do, make sure that it will make you happy.

"Remember brah......Life is meant to be fun."

Should prolly put ^^^ that in the quote thread.

Plateauplower
06-29-2014, 08:18 AM
That really sucks, I take it you are some type of governmental health/meat inspector (HACCP reference) which likely means you have to deal with a bunch of buerocratic BS. It can be hard, especially with some of the people in those type of jobs. I too have to work pretty hard to not say what I want to say at times. Hope you bounce back to a better more enjoyable career.

Considering FDA is pretty much in the pocket of big Agriculture and Big pharma (IMO) from what I have seen in the farming area where I grew up. There should be plenty of consulting type opportunities in the private sector since you will have a good knowledge base of what the smaller operations need to do to stay on the right side of the regs. Likely better pay, but less benefits (retirement, health ins cost etc)....

Caesura75
06-29-2014, 08:41 AM

^^^ This x2. I unexpectedly lost my job two years ago. I now run my own successful business and could never go back to those days.

It's all about how you approach the situation. Most will mourn and seek sympathy, the winners will see it as an opportunity and seize it.

As long as you're positive, you're going to go on to better things.

so-tex
06-29-2014, 03:46 PM
I want to thank everybody for the advice and encouragement.
Eomrat is right. The last thing I would want to do is cause trouble of any kind for the agency. Brack's post was spot on. I have to play devils advocate here and ask would I want this person working for me? The guy I threatened is scared out of h is wits, and wold have every right to file a grevience if I were to
stay on. I made my bed. I'm gonna have to sleep in it now.

StressMonkey
06-30-2014, 07:38 AM
That sucks but respect for owning up to your mistake and not making excuses. Hopefully you'll go on to better things like others mentioned.

beachguy498
06-30-2014, 11:04 AM
It sucks that this went down the way it did. With that said, what would he accomplish by showing up with a lawyer? He made a mistake and let his emotions get the best of him. Sadly, everyone is replaceable, and as am employer, I'd have done the same thing in most cases.

It was an option. In general with my advice, just do the opposite and you'll be okay.