PDA

View Full Version : Last night my fence had an electrical current.

bodyhard
06-26-2014, 04:55 AM
First my son in law came up to me and told me "John when I walked in the front, the fence shocked me man" Told me he felt a charge through his whole body. I did not believe him because he smokes mad weed all the time and is always high.

Then my granddaughter (God bless her) told Patty something bit her when she touched the fence and Patty laughed thinking she was joking, but then when Patty went to oped the fence it sparked and burned her hand.

She called me from her cell phone as I was inside and when I went out and touched the fence there was definitely a current going through it, When I closed the fence, the latched sparked. It was a blue spark and the current became stronger so I had to use a sneaker to hit the latch.

I touched my next door neighbors fence (as it is adjacent to mine) and the current was there but very mild. I called 911 to get the fire department to my house because my fence is surrounded by bushes and I was afraid a fire could start.

While waiting for the fire department my neighbor came home, my son and I started showing him how the fence was sparking and he touched his fenced and felt the current as well. Just as the fire department showed up my next door neighbor went into his house and just then the current stopped.

The firemen could not find any current whatsoever, my son told me that when my next door neighbor went in, he had shut off all of his lights. When I asked him he said no he did nothing, but then started acting all nervous and sh!t when I told the firemen what my son had just told me (about him shutting off all his lights) as it seem too coincidental that when he went inside the current stopped just like that.

The fireman check my panel in my house and tested the fence but said they could not do anything more and made a call out to Con Edison.

When Con Ed came out I told them the same thing, about my next door neighbor, they knocked on his door and he was annoyed and upset at me and told me "Why you have them checking my house" once again he was edgy, nervous and very uncooperative with Con Ed.

They made him turn on all his lights to see if they could get the current back but unfortunately the current never came.

One thing the Con Ed guy did that was weird is that he connected a wire to the fire hydrant in the street and then to my fence, said he was using it as a ground.

They left, and said if it happens again to call them immediately and not the fire department.

This sh!t is a mystery to me, but what gets me is why was my next door neighbor so f'cking edgy and nervous? My other neighbor was like, "he should want to know if something is wrong this is dangerous" She thought maybe he was stealing electricity or wired something in his house and was afraid of getting caught.

jeffaus
06-26-2014, 05:25 AM
INB4 Frozen Sparky.

That's weird, never heard of anything like that before.

ajdahlheimer
06-26-2014, 06:22 AM
http://www.mememaker.net/static/images/memes/3603296.jpg

bodyhard
06-26-2014, 06:30 AM
http://www.mememaker.net/static/images/memes/3603296.jpg

How did you do that? I wanted to use white lettering for my quote of the day in FB but had to use paint.

JediRN
06-26-2014, 06:30 AM
Sounds like he electrified it for you. Any issues with pets or verments?

May look into this idea as a murder twist for my third book.

ajdahlheimer
06-26-2014, 06:31 AM
Here you go, BH. Enjoy.

http://www.mememaker.net/create

bodyhard
06-26-2014, 06:32 AM
Sounds like he electrified it for you. Any issues with pets or verments?

May look into this idea as a murder twist for my third book.

Hmmmm, he has rats in his yard..

frozensparky
06-26-2014, 07:17 AM
INB4 Frozen Sparky.

That's weird, never heard of anything like that before.

That's my first inb4 ever

It makes sense that they grounded the fence to a water piping system. That way if something electrical is connected to the fence it goes to ground through the path of least resistance which last night was your son/ granddaughter/ and you. Now it will be the water pipe.

Also if somebody hooked the fence up to a breaker. Grounding the fence will trip it instantly because of the low resistance path to ground.

It's to bad it was gone before they got there though. That sort of thing is nice to just figure out and get dealt with.

Dave76
06-26-2014, 08:56 AM
BH, inspect your fence and see if a wire has been attached somewhere. Your neighbor may have done some home wiring and used the fence for a ground. A lot of people don't know the difference between a neutral (white insulation) and ground (bare wire or green insulation). In fact, many mistake them for being the same thing. If you tie the neutral to the ground somewhere, you'll get a voltage on the ground, and your fence is the ground.

I don't know your local laws but if the neighbor did some unauthorized wiring, it could explain his actions.

Phattso
06-26-2014, 09:21 AM
Whatever you do, don't pee on your fence.

bodyhard
06-26-2014, 09:30 AM
BH, inspect your fence and see if a wire has been attached somewhere. Your neighbor may have done some home wiring and used the fence for a ground. A lot of people don't know the difference between a neutral (white insulation) and ground (bare wire or green insulation). In fact, many mistake them for being the same thing. If you tie the neutral to the ground somewhere, you'll get a voltage on the ground, and your fence is the ground.

I don't know your local laws but if the neighbor did some unauthorized wiring, it could explain his actions.

The firemen and Con Ed did a thorough inspection and found nothing. :(

induced_drag
06-26-2014, 09:53 AM
Transient currents in the ground are not uncommon (with underground utilities).

I have a friend who could not keep a pump alive more then 3 months in his pond. In trying to diagnose his issues, we some how figured out to see if there was live voltage in the water. His pond actually measured almost 2 volts!

Talking with some building inspectors, they said the requirements for pool grounding have been heightened recently due to the problems with transient voltages.

I am sure in a metropolitan area like you are in, voltage leaks are not uncommon. Buy a cheap volt meter and check it out! The fence is an ideal conductor for such as I am assuming it is a metal post stuck in the ground. Plug 3 conductor cord into an outside outlet and use the volt meter (one lead on the item you want to test and other on the ground for the cord)

It is also possible to get induced voltages from overhead lines. If the fence is just right, it can act as a capacitor (storing charge) until you touch it. (Just like a shock you get walking in the winter with socks on in your house)

KeepItMoving
06-26-2014, 10:05 AM
I just find the whole situation shocking. ;)

tryintorebuild
06-26-2014, 12:33 PM
BH, I highly recommend you pursue this.
When I was a kid I had visited a friends house and gone swimming in his pond, as I walked through his doorway I felt a shock. It happened on my way back out too, but nobody would believe me. It wasn't happening to them. About an hour after we got back they lost all their electricity. We went outside and found their dog dead with his mouth on the outshide water faucet.
They called the power company to check it out and it turned out they had a short in their system that was going to ground. The dog, who often drank from the outside water faucet (just like us kids, Hey we were kids dont judge us) took the current and it fried him. Thank God it wasn't a kid.

Don't ignore the problem. What you saw was real and deadly.

bodyhard
06-26-2014, 01:20 PM
BH, I highly recommend you pursue this.
When I was a kid I had visited a friends house and gone swimming in his pond, as I walked through his doorway I felt a shock. It happened on my way back out too, but nobody would believe me. It wasn't happening to them. About an hour after we got back they lost all their electricity. We went outside and found their dog dead with his mouth on the outshide water faucet.
They called the power company to check it out and it turned out they had a short in their system that was going to ground. The dog, who often drank from the outside water faucet (just like us kids, Hey we were kids dont judge us) took the current and it fried him. Thank God it wasn't a kid.

Don't ignore the problem. What you saw was real and deadly.

Dude I did nt sleep last night because of this sh!t.

Do you think my neighbor had something to do with it, or something under ground?

I don't understand how it just stopped. :(

frozensparky
06-26-2014, 01:41 PM
Now that the utility company grounded your fence it will be safer. They have provided a much lower resistance to ground for electricity to travel. Scary that your grand daughter took a shock though no doubt.

If your really worried about it have an electrician come in and ground the fence in a few spots just to be certain. Probably wouldn't be too expensive for a little extra peice of mind if you really want it.

What kind of fence is it? What's it made out of and is it anchored into the ground or is it anchored onto cement?

Usually a fence is grounded by the posts going directly into the earth. if they are metal posts which are painted/ coated for rust prevention or theyre made of wood there is no path to ground. then when you touch the electrified metal parts you become the ground and that's when you get a shock.

bodyhard
06-26-2014, 02:58 PM
Now that the utility company grounded your fence it will be safer. They have provided a much lower resistance to ground for electricity to travel. Scary that your grand daughter took a shock though no doubt.

If your really worried about it have an electrician come in and ground the fence in a few spots just to be certain. Probably wouldn't be too expensive for a little extra peice of mind if you really want it.

What kind of fence is it? What's it made out of and is it anchored into the ground or is it anchored onto cement?

Usually a fence is grounded by the posts going directly into the earth. if they are metal posts which are painted/ coated for rust prevention or theyre made of wood there is no path to ground. then when you touch the electrified metal parts you become the ground and that's when you get a shock.

I have no idea what kind of fence it is, I will take pictures and show it to you. All I know it has metal poles and a wired fence. It is anchored into cement.

eomrat
06-26-2014, 03:35 PM
I have no idea what kind of fence it is, I will take pictures and show it to you. All I know it has metal poles and a wired fence. It is anchored into cement.

One of your neighbors is growing weed. They have hacked into an underground power cable to avoid alerting the law with a massive jump in their power bill. The cable they used is insufficiently insulated. The heat being generated underneath the ground due to improper grounding is slowly eating away at what little insulating material is still present. Very soon, probably the next time it rains, all of that pent up electricity is going to explosively arc out of the ground and cook either you or one of your neighbors like a piece of bacon.

bodyhard
06-26-2014, 05:35 PM
One of your neighbors is growing weed. They have hacked into an underground power cable to avoid alerting the law with a massive jump in their power bill. The cable they used is insufficiently insulated. The heat being generated underneath the ground due to improper grounding is slowly eating away at what little insulating material is still present. Very soon, probably the next time it rains, all of that pent up electricity is going to explosively arc out of the ground and cook either you or one of your neighbors like a piece of bacon.

Yo I don't know how serious you are about this, but my daughter was telling me that my next door neighbor grows weed, real talk.

And it was raining yesterday when this sh!t was happening

Oceanside
06-26-2014, 05:47 PM

or johns house is just haunted ?

bodyhard
06-26-2014, 05:49 PM
This is the latch that was sparking and where Patty got burned and my granddaughter said she got bit when she touched it.

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj74/bodyhard_2008/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0592_zps90b9707b.jpg (http://s269.photobucket.com/user/bodyhard_2008/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0592_zps90b9707b.jpg.html)

This is where my SIL got shocked.
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj74/bodyhard_2008/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0593_zps949242a8.jpg (http://s269.photobucket.com/user/bodyhard_2008/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0593_zps949242a8.jpg.html)

This is the adjacent fence to my neighbor
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj74/bodyhard_2008/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0594_zps02a124f7.jpg (http://s269.photobucket.com/user/bodyhard_2008/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0594_zps02a124f7.jpg.html)

And this is my neighbors fence
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj74/bodyhard_2008/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0595_zps3bad9fbe.jpg (http://s269.photobucket.com/user/bodyhard_2008/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0595_zps3bad9fbe.jpg.html)

His fence has a very small current going through it, but the Con Ed guy said that didn't mean anything.

Old-Time-Lifter
06-26-2014, 05:55 PM
I'd think that fence would be pretty well grounded, I'm surprised you're getting any kind of charge through there at all. If you were trying to electrify it you'd probably never be able to get it to work.

bodyhard
06-26-2014, 05:57 PM
I'd think that fence would be pretty well grounded, I'm surprised you're getting any kind of charge through there at all. If you were trying to electrify it you'd probably never be able to get it to work.

There was a blue spark right where you see that latch everytime we touched it to the pole. And when you did that the current was really strong at least stronger than any other part of the fence.

Oceanside
06-26-2014, 05:59 PM
go buy a voltmeter (about 20 bux) and touch it up and see what ya get...

if Con-Ed couldn't do anything, maybe you can trace the source on those times when it's hot.

induced_drag
06-26-2014, 06:05 PM
Was it a constant arc when you closed the latch? (like a welder)....or just a pop of a jumping spark and then nothing?

If it was a spark type jump, as crazy as it sounds, the fence could be acting as a capacitor and getting an induced current. Are there power lines running above the fence?

Given the right moisture conditions in the soil, and the chainlink portion being insulated (like the inside of a capacitor), it is possible. I have seen crazier things....

frozensparky
06-26-2014, 06:06 PM
There was a blue spark right where you see that latch everytime we touched it to the pole. And when you did that the current was really strong at least stronger than any other part of the fence.

Probably because one side (either the gate side or the post that attatched to) is a decent ground and the other side is not (and it was electrified).

Pictures clear up some things but grounding the fence should alleviate a lot of the concerns you have. What the utility company did is probably sufficient but you could ground more of the fence if your still worried about it.

You could either pay an electrician to do it. Depending on the size of the fence may cost a couple hundred to $500 or you could get some bare copper wire and do it yourself for not very much at all. It would be pretty easy and wouldn't take more than a couple of hours and pretty basic tools. You can PM me and I could probably walk you through if you like.

Edit, also just read what ID just said and that is possible as well. Grounding would deal with that issue as well. (Drains the energy instead of storing it)

bodyhard
06-26-2014, 06:21 PM
Was it a constant arc when you closed the latch? (like a welder)....or just a pop of a jumping spark and then nothing?

If it was a spark type jump, as crazy as it sounds, the fence could be acting as a capacitor and getting an induced current. Are there power lines running above the fence?

Given the right moisture conditions in the soil, and the chainlink portion being insulated (like the inside of a capacitor), it is possible. I have seen crazier things....

Probably because one side (either the gate side or the post that attatched to) is a decent ground and the other side is not (and it was electrified).

Pictures clear up some things but grounding the fence should alleviate a lot of the concerns you have. What the utility company did is probably sufficient but you could ground more of the fence if your still worried about it.

You could either pay an electrician to do it. Depending on the size of the fence may cost a couple hundred to $500 or you could get some bare copper wire and do it yourself for not very much at all. It would be pretty easy and wouldn't take more than a couple of hours and pretty basic tools. You can PM me and I could probably walk you through if you like.

Edit, also just read what ID just said and that is possible as well. Grounding would deal with that issue as well. (Drains the energy instead of storing it)

Thanks guys.

It was a blue spark like you were welding something.

If it means anything it was raining last night and there is a electrical pole right across the street from me.

I was just on the phone with OS and as I told him Con Ed so a break in one of the lines above, said it might be nothing but they called a bucket truck and he patched it.

As an FYI Con Ed was here for almost 3 hours trying to find it.

Phattso
06-26-2014, 06:33 PM
Why has no one said it?

John, your neighbor is trying to kill you. Time to lock and load.

I hope not :)

eomrat
06-26-2014, 06:58 PM
Yo I don't know how serious you are about this, but my daughter was telling me that my next door neighbor grows weed, real talk.

And it was raining yesterday when this sh!t was happening

I was not serious at all. Electricity is strange and frightening to me and I know very little about it.

kimm4
06-26-2014, 07:08 PM
Why has no one said it?

John, your neighbor is trying to kill you. Time to lock and load.

I hope not :)

It's pretty obvious his neighbor is a hater. :D

Phattso
06-26-2014, 07:19 PM
It's pretty obvious his neighbor is a hater. :D

You are right, kimmy. Do the math people. :cool:

djflex
06-26-2014, 08:44 PM
Whatever you do, don't pee on your fence.

Best advice in thread so far

Phattso
06-26-2014, 09:15 PM
Best advice in thread so far

Thanks. It is also strongly advised to resist the urge to lick your fence.

acrawlingchaos
06-26-2014, 09:36 PM
I was not serious at all. Electricity is strange and frightening to me and I know very little about it.I actually would not be surprised.

High voltage / low current in excess will be prone to backfeeding. Metal Halide and high pressure sodium lighting used in growing need a lot of power and could produce significant back feeding. The NY electrical system is old and everything could run smoothly until you flip a hallway light or turn on a garbage disposal.

kimm4
06-26-2014, 09:37 PM
Thanks. It is also strongly advised to resist the urge to lick your fence.

Yeah don't do that^^...

Or this...

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k230/ksl04/shawn_licking_battery_zps1acb17f9.jpg (http://s89.photobucket.com/user/ksl04/media/shawn_licking_battery_zps1acb17f9.jpg.html)

Or this...(notice the metal fence. though I might let this pass, because he's a baby who obviously likes bacon!)

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k230/ksl04/baby-licking-pig-cropped_zps1e5c1426.jpg (http://s89.photobucket.com/user/ksl04/media/baby-licking-pig-cropped_zps1e5c1426.jpg.html)

Or this...

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k230/ksl04/71_zps3a40b274.jpg (http://s89.photobucket.com/user/ksl04/media/71_zps3a40b274.jpg.html)

frozensparky
06-26-2014, 10:01 PM
I was not serious at all. Electricity is strange and frightening to me and I know very little about it.

I've been an electrician since 2001 and I've seen some very strange things especially when it comes to high voltage. A little bit of fear is a good thing to have when dealing with it.

Old-Time-Lifter
06-26-2014, 10:06 PM
I've been an electrician since 2001 and I've seen some very strange things especially when it comes to high voltage. A little bit of fear is a good thing to have when dealing with it.

Fear can keep you alive in such situations.

Oceanside
06-26-2014, 10:18 PM
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k230/ksl04/71_zps3a40b274.jpg (http://s89.photobucket.com/user/ksl04/media/71_zps3a40b274.jpg.html)
japanese porn is kind of weird....you never really know what they're going after .

Old-Time-Lifter
06-26-2014, 10:21 PM
japanese porn is kind of weird....you never really know what they're going after .

All I can think of is all the germs that are on doorknobs.... :(

Only thing worse might be to lick the keyboard of your computer or maybe the baby seat in a shopping cart...

cowboybiker
06-26-2014, 10:24 PM
There are three types of men in this world.

1. Those that learn from reading.
2. Those that learn from observations.
3. Those that have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Old-Time-Lifter
06-26-2014, 10:26 PM
There are three types of men in this world.

1. Those that learn from reading.
2. Those that learn from observations.
3. Those that have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

You can talk about being big and bad all day long but it takes a truly special soul to knowingly pee on an electric fence. ;)

kimm4
06-26-2014, 10:28 PM

Only thing worse might be to lick the keyboard of your computer or maybe the baby seat in a shopping cart...

TV remote...groce...

frozensparky
06-26-2014, 10:36 PM

Lol this reminds me that I have actually said (to my son at the public pool) "get your tongue off the side of the hot tub

EDIT: just the thought of it makes me gag a little

cowboybiker
06-26-2014, 10:47 PM
You can talk about being big and bad all day long but it takes a truly special soul to knowingly pee on an electric fence. ;)

Or a drunk biker.

beachguy498
06-27-2014, 05:11 AM
BH, the next time it rains pretty good, walk along the fence and look for earthworms coming out of the soil, this may tell you where the current is strongest, since the steel fence posts are the ground.

I had a neighbor when I was a kid, he was a fisherman and used to get earthworms out of the ground by using 2 copper rods and a car battery. He pushed the copper rods into his wet lawn about 2-3 feet apart and attach a car battery to them with jumpers. The worms would come right to the surface looking to evade the current.

bodyhard
06-27-2014, 05:38 AM
Thanks for all the serious responses although some think this is a f'cking joke.

it's no f'cking laughing matter when my 3 year old granddaughter was shock..

I am not sleeping well due to f'cking ordeal as I don't know anything about it.

My fear is one of my grandchildren is going to touch that damn thing when the current does come back and burn their skin as it did to Patty or worse God forbid.

Phattso
06-27-2014, 06:11 AM
My apologies, John. I think your neighbor knows something that he is not telling you. I hope you get this resolved soon.

Best.

poundXpound
06-27-2014, 07:07 AM
Only thing worse might be to lick .....the baby seat in a shopping cart...

I always wipe down the shopping cart seat at the grocery store. No idea how many leaky diapers have been sitting in it or bare feet standing on it.......

beachguy498
06-27-2014, 07:11 AM
I'll see what my BIL says about the deal, he's an electrician (Local 3 I think) in NYC. He works mostly in Manhattan.