PDA

View Full Version : Nutritional advice

sweetjess1951
06-25-2014, 11:50 AM
Because so many people dissed me for following a meal plan that was put together for a friend of mine in preparation for her show, I took everyone's advice and calculated my macros.

I won't copy and paste the diet I put together but I wanted to get some feedback on the general overview of my meal plan, in addition to incorporating "not so healthy" foods into my diet.

The meal plan I follow majority of the week consists of 7 different times I eat. I included dietary fats (avocado, fish, nuts). I eat sweet potatoes before the gym to use as fuel for my workout. One of the 7 meals includes a post-workout shake that includes protein powder, karbolic and fitness fiber. Other than that, it is a meal plan that consists of oatmeal, sweet potatoes, eggs, fish, chicken and veggies.

Now - the confusing part...

I have this really horrible stereotype in my head that if you eat anything that isn't "healthy' (candy, ice cream, cheese dip, etc.) that it complete ruins your diet - no matter what. I'm trying to stray away from that thinking because it isn't good for me to think that way.

So anyways, I put together a couple separate plans that include the foods I like to indulge in. For example, I put together a meal plan that includes a 900 calorie dinner consisting of chips, cheese dip and fajitas. BUT, I re-arranged my day so that it fits within my macro requirements. Is that ok to do? And is that considered a "cheat meal" or is a cheat meal when you just go all out?

nicholina
06-25-2014, 11:57 AM
Why are you eating at 7 different times?

You have no relevant information about the plan, ie macros, so no one can comment on the plan itself. Specific foods you eat are irrelevant and a matter of preference.

"Cheating" is defined by you. If you feel the need to do such.

TypeNirvash
06-25-2014, 11:57 AM
OP, for the most part you can eat foods that you enjoy eating. There's nothing wrong with that, and so long as it's accounted for, it's perfectly fine. At the same time, your micro nutrients are important. Make sure that you're eating whole foods. Also, meal frequency has a negligible effect on body composition. You don't need to eat 7 times a day. Eat when it's convenient, or when you're hungry!

I don't see your stats, TDEE or macro nutrients so I can't say whether or not your diet will help you out. After all, consuming more calories than you expend will cause you to gain weight, and expending more calories than you consume will cause you to lose weight.

But to answer your question, you need to stop thinking of foods as "bad" and "good", and looking at them as "whole" and "processed". You should be taking in mainly whole foods, but like I said before, it's okay to eat processed foods every so often--so long as you've already reached your daily minimum intakes ie; for fat, you should have .45g per pound of body weight, and for protein you should be having .5-.8g per pound of body weight.

I don't believe in cheat meals. I enjoy all of my meals, and you should too!

sweetjess1951
06-25-2014, 12:04 PM
OP, for the most part you can eat foods that you enjoy eating. There's nothing wrong with that, and so long as it's accounted for, it's perfectly fine. At the same time, your micro nutrients are important. Make sure that you're eating whole foods. Also, meal frequency has a negligible effect on body composition. You don't need to eat 7 times a day. Eat when it's convenient, or when you're hungry!

I don't see your stats, TDEE or macro nutrients so I can't say whether or not your diet will help you out. After all, consuming more calories than you expend will cause you to gain weight, and expending more calories than you consume will cause you to lose weight.

But to answer your question, you need to stop thinking of foods as "bad" and "good", and looking at them as "whole" and "processed". You should be taking in mainly whole foods, but like I said before, it's okay to eat processed foods every so often--so long as you've already reached your daily minimum intakes ie; for fat, you should have .45g per pound of body weight, and for protein you should be having .5-.8g per pound of body weight.

I don't believe in cheat meals. I enjoy all of my meals, and you should too!

My TDEE is 2205. My macros are carbs (185.1), protein (138.1) and fat (44.2). Do you need anymore information?

mrmr200
06-25-2014, 12:08 PM
My TDEE is 2205. My macros are carbs (185.1), protein (138.1) and fat (44.2). Do you need anymore information?

i ate almost the same macros you do in my high carbs day , lol

TypeNirvash
06-25-2014, 12:09 PM

Your fat intake sounds kind of low, to be honest (not sure what your weight/height is). You should be having .45g of fat per pound of body weight.

Also, your macros are adding up to 1,689 calories, which is much lower than your TDEE. That's a really steep deficit, and I'm going to assume that you're trying to lose weight. If you are, I'd suggest maybe upping the calories to somewhere around 1,900-2,000 as that would be a little bit safer.

EDIT: Or did you just calculate your daily minimums?

sweetjess1951
06-25-2014, 12:11 PM
Your fat intake sounds kind of low, to be honest (not sure what your weight/height is). You should be having .45g of fat per pound of body weight.

Also, your macros are adding up to 1,689 calories, which is much lower than your TDEE. That's a really steep deficit, and I'm going to assume that you're trying to lose weight. If you are, I'd suggest maybe upping the calories to somewhere around 1,900-2,000 as that would be a little bit safer.

I'm 5'5 1/2 and 150lbs. I exercise pretty much every day at a high intensity. I am trying to lose body fat.

Isn't 1,900-2,000 a little high? I've always heard the whole 1,500 a day thing.

keyboardworkout
06-25-2014, 12:15 PM
I think having a cheat meal that fits your macros every couple of days is a great idea.

I tend to get pretty orthorexic sometimes. I'll look at my weekly food intake and find it down to only 12-15 "safe foods". Obviously, if this continues too long I'll start killing brain cells from boredom.

I surprised my wife last week and brought home Dairy Queen Blizzards. She couldn't believe it and thought I had fallen and hit my head or something. ;-)

TypeNirvash
06-25-2014, 12:15 PM
I'm 5'5 1/2 and 150lbs. I exercise pretty much every day at a high intensity. I am trying to lose body fat.

Should be having at least 67g of fat which is 603 calories from fat (~.45g per pound of body weight).
Anywhere from 75-120g of protein should be fine (.5g-.8g per pound of body weight). That's 300-480 calories from protein.

With those daily minimums, you would be somewhere around 1,000 calories. At this point, you can consume more fat/protein/carbohydrates (however you prefer) in order to reach your calorie goal. I'd still say that a 700 calorie deficit is pretty steep. I'd recommend anywhere between 1,900 and 2,000.

EDIT: Keep in mind that as long as you expend more calories than you consume, you will lose weight. Eating 200-300 calories underneath your TDEE will still result in you losing weight.

keyboardworkout
06-25-2014, 12:27 PM
Here is an easy way to figure macros to start. You can tailor it after a few weeks.

Find your "ideal" weight.

For men, start at 5 feet tall and 106 pounds, add 6 pounds per inch over that.

For women, start at 5 feet tall and 100 pounds, add 5 pounds per inch over that.

For macros, eat your "ideal" body weight in grams of carbs and protein and 1/2 ideal body weight in grams of fat.

5' 5" female = 125 pounds

125 grams of protein = 500 calories
125 grams of carbs = 500 calories
62 grams of fat = 558 calories

total calories = 1,558

"Ideal" weight can be +/- 10% for frame size. The "ideal" weight comes from research done for the military way back in the 1960s. It's still a pretty good place to start.

sweetjess1951
06-25-2014, 12:28 PM
Should be having at least 67g of fat which is 603 calories from fat (~.45g per pound of body weight).
Anywhere from 75-120g of protein should be fine (.5g-.8g per pound of body weight). That's 300-480 calories from protein.

With those daily minimums, you would be somewhere around 1,000 calories. At this point, you can consume more fat/protein/carbohydrates (however you prefer) in order to reach your calorie goal. I'd still say that a 700 calorie deficit is pretty steep. I'd recommend anywhere between 1,900 and 2,000.

EDIT: Keep in mind that as long as you expend more calories than you consume, you will lose weight. Eating 200-300 calories underneath your TDEE will still result in you losing weight.

I'm assuming my carb intake looked ok?

snorkelman
06-25-2014, 12:33 PM
I have this really horrible stereotype in my head that if you eat anything that isn't "healthy' (candy, ice cream, cheese dip, etc.) that it complete ruins your diet - no matter what.

http://i48.tinypic.com/ogvwpd.jpg

And in response to the dietary fat advice you got above about no less than 0.4 gr/lb, on a cut you can lower dietary fat intake to as little as 0.35 grams per pound of bodyweight

nicholina
06-25-2014, 12:42 PM
1500 a day is a "thing"? I would suggest reading the stickies and learning the basics of composing a logical diet based on YOUR needs, not what youve heard other people do.

TypeNirvash
06-25-2014, 12:42 PM
I'm assuming my carb intake looked ok?

Carbs are non-essential, you can eat as many or as little as you want, so long as you're at your caloric goal. There are no daily recommendations for carbohydrates.

http://i48.tinypic.com/ogvwpd.jpg

And in response to the dietary fat advice you got above about no less than 0.4 gr/lb, on a cut you can lower dietary fat intake to as little as 0.35 grams per pound of bodyweight

I've heard the same, but I'd still have to say that foods high in fat are also more filling. While it's alright to consume .35g per pound of body weight on a cut, I'd still say that so long as you're getting the minimum you can definitely eat above it (and I'd recommend doing so because fatty foods are more filling).

snorkelman
06-25-2014, 12:46 PM
... I'd still say that so long as you're getting the minimum you can definitely eat above it (and I'd recommend doing so because fatty foods are more filling).

Agreed. Lots of people drop carbs and replace with satiating fat. Others will have non-compliance issues if they lower carbs too much.

TypeNirvash
06-25-2014, 12:48 PM
Agreed. Lots of people drop carbs and replace with satiating fat. Others will have non-compliance issues if they lower carbs too much.

Yeah, it's really all personal preference. It's all about finding what works best!