PDA

View Full Version : Need some job guidance.

ShagsJX
06-25-2014, 03:54 AM
Hey guys, sorry I know im not over 35 but I need some job guidance from the more experienced crowd.

PLEASE take a few minutes to read and reply I really would appreciate your honest opinions and responses, I will also rep.

Currently I work a city job and ive been here for nearly 7 years, I do general maintenance but in the summer time I have to deal with alot of trash due to my environmental department status and after 7 years of it im starting to despise trash. I make 14$ an hour (went 3 years no raises but we get them again now) and I generally get a 5-6% raise a year. I also have great benefits and 3 retirement plans and the jobs secure..

I like my job for the most part and I don't have to do alot of work because im a good people person and my bosses like me alot so I don't do the "grunt work" others have to do most the time, The only problems I have with the job is, its very dirty during the summer months and The only time I can move up is if someone dies or retires. My boss has told me hes going to retire for the past 3 years in a "year or 2 at most" and I keep hearing this but tired of waiting (and this will only allow me to move up to crew leader so around a 2$ an hour raise and will still be in the trash during summer time)

So realistically lets say 5 years down the road and I don't get any promotion just normal raises Ill estimate 17-19$ an hour. IMO this isnt terrible money.

But lately I have really been wanting to do something else. I can make ends meet right now but I really am never getting ahead, now that im getting a little older being 27 I feel like I should be further along in life. I hate comparing myself to my brother but hes 29 and an inspector making 55k a year with no schooling.

Im really thinking of going to a local community college and doing HVAC/Sheet metal mechanic classes (My current job will pay partially for it aswell) Or I can take a pay cut and start as an entry level helper at a local HVAC place just to get my foot in the door and start gaining experience. The only reason I am thinking about this job is because its always in high demand because you pretty much need heat and air and every listing I see is hiring starting pay for experienced workers 20-35$ an hour. And being a certified tradesmen goes alot further then just a maintenance man.

Or just going to school and doing something else all together?? I dono im just unhappy with my job and want more money but the benefits/retirement/security and not being low man on the totem pole and lack of schooling is keeping me here.

I need guidance! i'm just scared ill step out my comfort zone and not succeed.. please help me

RustyPipes
06-25-2014, 04:36 AM
Good for you for looking at challenging yourself in your career goals. The whole process of switching careers is more like bodybuilding than not - it requires discipline, smarts, a plan and the understanding that there will be times you're moving ahead, and times where you're plateauing. You really want to make this journey one that allows you the chance to fully explore what appeals to you, what you're good at, and what the market has for positions. The first thing to do is really spend time getting to know the HVAC business up and down. You might like parts of it - say installation and maintenance, but there are other parts that might drive you crazy. I'd set up some informational interviews with people in fields that appeal to you and pick their brains, especially older ones who know their fields well. Find out what a typical day is like, where the profession is going, where its been, what are some opportunities and threats within it. See if you can do some job shadowing, and then try picturing yourself doing that job day in and out - after all work is repetition - and we'd better like (to some degree) what we're doing. Once you've determined your path, talk with the community college or wherever and see how they're willing to help you in your goal. Do they have a career office? What kinds of internships are available? What kinds of classes do they have you take and why? If there are some other career choices you're thinking about look into those as well. Aim high - find something that will satisfy you mentally and give you a sense of purpose. You have your goals at the gym and you're working toward them. This shouldn't be any different. It will all unfold one day at a time as long as you keep working at it, rep by rep, day by day.

ajdahlheimer
06-25-2014, 05:20 AM
My brother in law went to school to be an HVAC tech. He makes good money. Over $30 an hour easy. Lots of OT opportunities too. A lot of those guys have to travel quite extensively for their jobs too, so if that isn't an issue for you. I would would say either go for that or some other trade. You seem like you work better with your hands. Go to a trade/vocational school and learn a trade. You'll get a good career out of it and not have the all the student loan debt most people who go to 4 year universities end up with, since trade/tech schools are much more inexpensive.

beachguy498
06-25-2014, 07:43 AM
I got into the machine shop trade when I was 25, took the whole apprenticeship thing for 4 years and got my NY State Journeyman papers. But no guarantee of a good job with retirement, etc. I happened to get into a big local company and started out at the bottom and worked my way up. Along the way, they paid for me to get 2 college degrees and I had a career path to follow. 33 years later I'm still at the same company (through numerous name and facility relocations) and I've taken every offered perk along the way.

I sort of fell into it, I was placed by my trade school into what was the plum job of all that were looking for graduates at that time. Once I was in, I was able to recognize every opportunity and make my own luck as I needed it.

I would advise anyone to make a career change at an early age as early as possible. HVAC is a good trade and good people are in great demand, so this may be good for you. If you are good at it and do well in trade school, you will have your pick of jobs as I did. If you can't get into a big place with lots of benefits, you will have to save for it on your own with some sort of IRA.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. My son is in line for a school custodial position that starts at $42.5k a year, but the process is dragging. There are actually people in line for any slot that opens up. They have a union, great benefits and retirement.

virtualbrian
06-25-2014, 08:32 AM
Learning a trade is always a good idea and you're right, there will always be a demand for skilled HVAC technicians. I also think that you're right in thinking that now is a good time for you to move on. BUT is HVAC what you really want to do? Or are you just going after the money?

There's one thing in your post that stood out for me. Third paragraph "I'm a good people person". Believe it or not, this is a skill/talent that not everyone has. In my job and in my life, I've come into contact with many sales people. There are good sales people and there are not so good sales people. The good ones are all natural people skills people. If you find that talking and bull****ting and making friends is something that you can do very easily then sales might be right up your alley.

A friend of mine who is a very successful sales person sold wire and cable for industrial use, then he sold fire and home alarm systems. He does extremely well. Has a very large nice home and owns a porsche 911. Not too bad.

Also consider going to college to get a degree. A degree in business and some good people skills can take you a long way.

So maybe get more info on HVAC path but don't ignore your natural talents.

Good luck!

ChazWood
06-25-2014, 09:46 AM
I need guidance! i'm just scared ill step out my comfort zone and not succeed.. please help me
As the saying goes, nothing ventured, nothing gained. My advice is to work on overcoming your fear of being out of your comfort zone. How do you overcome your fear? By creating self confidence. Legitimate self confidence is acquired by putting yourself out there, setting goals, applying yourself and overcoming challenges. Through this process you must learn to adapt and function effectively while out of your comfort zone if you want to succeed.

Successful people don't fear failure. Failure is inevitable, so learn to accept that its part of life and leads to personal growth. We often learn more from our failures than from our successes. We also can't control the outcome of our efforts, only our attitude and how we apply ourselves. Successful people work hard and and work smart to create the conditions for their success. The rest comes down to opportunity and timing.

I think you already knew what you needed to do before you made this thread - now get out of your way and go do it.

Good luck! :)

ajdahlheimer
06-25-2014, 09:48 AM
successful people don't fear failure. They only fear bodyhard.

fify

ChazWood
06-25-2014, 09:50 AM
haha

:)

ShagsJX
06-25-2014, 09:55 AM
Learning a trade is always a good idea and you're right, there will always be a demand for skilled HVAC technicians. I also think that you're right in thinking that now is a good time for you to move on. BUT is HVAC what you really want to do? Or are you just going after the money?

There's one thing in your post that stood out for me. Third paragraph "I'm a good people person". Believe it or not, this is a skill/talent that not everyone has. In my job and in my life, I've come into contact with many sales people. There are good sales people and there are not so good sales people. The good ones are all natural people skills people. If you find that talking and bull****ting and making friends is something that you can do very easily then sales might be right up your alley.

A friend of mine who is a very successful sales person sold wire and cable for industrial use, then he sold fire and home alarm systems. He does extremely well. Has a very large nice home and owns a porsche 911. Not too bad.

Also consider going to college to get a degree. A degree in business and some good people skills can take you a long way.

So maybe get more info on HVAC path but don't ignore your natural talents.

Good luck!

you really have made me put some more thought into this, I am a great people person, I was just thinking HVAC because there seemed to be a high demand for it and money seemed good.

I just really want to do something more with my life then what I am doing now. I dont want to be 40+ wishing I would have done something else.

Thank you Ill for sure broaden my horizon on career searching.

ironwill2008
06-25-2014, 10:52 AM
You mentioned the money you might be able to make from some other job(s), but I didn't see any mention of your getting into some field or occupation because you're interested in it.

At your age, you're at a turning point in your life; chances are, whatever you move to is what you'll wind up staying with. Don't you think it would be a really good idea for that to be something that you'd really like to be doing, something that you're actually interested in?

if you're engaged in something that you love to do, you'll never have to 'work' a day in your life. And it usually turns out that the people who are doing something they really enjoy doing happen to become really good at whatever that might be, and then the money takes care of itself.

weiss1967
06-26-2014, 12:31 PM
OP if you work for the city, there must be some internal advancement opportunities outside of your present field. Talk to HR people, big city would have some kind of training plans and funds. Bus drivers make over 50K aren't they. Stressful job though

ShagsJX
06-27-2014, 09:29 AM
OP if you work for the city, there must be some internal advancement opportunities outside of your present field. Talk to HR people, big city would have some kind of training plans and funds. Bus drivers make over 50K aren't they. Stressful job though

Yeah I work for a small city of 5883 people! Ive spoken to HR and even she recommended taking my skills and transferring to a bigger city. I could transfer to another department but it has alot to do with public waste and its not even much more money. so if I dont like trash anymore im sure getting **** on me would wreck my day! I just really want a new line of work at this point or just suck it up and stay where im at and never "get rich" but not have to worry about getting a paycheck every week.

sorry guys and thank you all for listening and replying, like ironwill said im at a turning point in my life and just dont know what to do. Ive put in 8 applications today and yesterday so I hope to hear something back soon

I also dont have a professional resume and I need to get on that cause alot of jobs I see that seem decent ask to send resume instead of applications.

Keep the opinions coming its really great to hear some views of people more experienced. I grew up poor and I am not mad at my parents about it but im ready to tie the knot and start a family of my own and I dont wanna see anybody go without cause I made the wrong decisions.

Dave1958
06-27-2014, 10:39 AM
I live in a town about as big as you describe. The city workers while not paid a lot have very good retirement/ benefits. Trying to better yourself with training is good also. As to promotions, I've seen it exactly as you describe but I've also seen the politicians promote friends/ cronies into management. It difficult to advise you as there truly no right answers. I would ask you to look at when you are vested into your retirement, and if leaving now vs in a couple of years will allow you to draw a partial pension or if you leave too soon getting nothing. As I'm close to seeing retirement I see that as at least something to think about

ShagsJX
06-27-2014, 11:08 AM
I live in a town about as big as you describe. The city workers while not paid a lot have very good retirement/ benefits. Trying to better yourself with training is good also. As to promotions, I've seen it exactly as you describe but I've also seen the politicians promote friends/ cronies into management. It difficult to advise you as there truly no right answers. I would ask you to look at when you are vested into your retirement, and if leaving now vs in a couple of years will allow you to draw a partial pension or if you leave too soon getting nothing. As I'm close to seeing retirement I see that as at least something to think about

Exactly as you described.... its not what you know buy who you know sometimes. One of my bosses has been there less time then me and ask me how to do stuff all the time and takes the credit for it aswell.

Being only 27 puts me nowhere near partial or retirement so I cant touch anything for awhile.

I do have great benefits and have 3 retirement plans open, 2 of them I pay in a selected amount every paycheck and the town matches me to a certain %. 1 of the retirement plans is 7% of every paycheck that doesn't get invested and the only way to get this money is if i'm fired, quit, or retire. and it can only be transferred to another government job.

This may not be the best decision but i'm thinking of thinking of getting a new job in a different field knowing ill be starting at the bottom and taking a pay cut just to get experience to put on a resume for a better job and taking my money from the 3rd retirement plan that isn't being invested and paying off all my loans and paying up my bills for awhile.

My situation is better then alot of people out there I just want to do more with my life, sorry for coming off sounding like a crying kid haha I just need reassurance i'm making the right decisions

weiss1967
06-27-2014, 06:23 PM
I just want to do more with my life

good point, we all been there. But consider this. I was thinking about switching career at around 40, was going forward with commercial pilot training and it was all very romantic and cool. At some point though, it became "just another job". And not a very good paying with a lot of sheat to take to make it out to big bucks. Maybe doing something with your life means something different, like bodybuilding, some arts or crafts or music, something outside the job.

KRANE
06-28-2014, 01:46 PM
I didn't read all of you post because it was too darn long. What I did read of it indicates you're bored with your job. Or at least not as enthusiastic with your future as you'd like to be.

My advice? Get out now. Enroll in college or trade school now before you get old and realize you hate what you're doing like I did. Just make sure that HVAC is what you want to do. Look at the guys in all stages of their life and ask them about what they're doing and if they're satisfied or wish they'd have chosen something different.

Are you looking for a job or a career? If its a career, put some time into it to be sure you can do it for the rest of your life. HVAC maybe fine at 25. But what about 45 or 55? Can you do it at 60? What will your job by then? Will you be running the place and calling the shots? I hope not still manual labor.

vakrka
06-29-2014, 05:36 PM
Find a hvac company
Ask if you can work laborer /cleanup there nights or weekends to see if you like the work environment
If so tell them you are going back to school and see if they will give you advice