PDA

View Full Version : Carb Cycling Rookie

BDNick
06-23-2014, 05:40 PM
Hi guys,

I have been a long-time lurker of the forums here at bodybuilding.com but this is my first official post. I am 21 years old, 5'10", 180 lbs. I workout 5/6 times a week doing strength training and do cardio or HIIT 2/3 times a week. I would say I'm in pretty decent shape overall but I am looking to shed off the last few pounds of body fat. That being said, I recently stumbled into the carb cycling diet online and it seems promising. I am no rookie to dieting, but this diet has left me with a few questions. This is the article I read and based my information off of: (I can't post links on my first post, but Google: Carb Cycling and it is the 4th link. It is on bodybuilding.com)

To my understanding, this diet works in 3 day cycles; High Carb Day, Low Carb Day, and No Carb Day. On all days, I am required to eat a minimum of 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight. Dividing 180 grams of protein by the 5 meals I will be consuming leaves me with 36g of protein per each meal.

On a High Carb Day, out of my 5 meals, 3 of these allow me to eat as many carbs as I like (off the approved carb list) as long as I satisfy the minimum protein requirements. On a Low Carb Day, out of 5 meals, 2 of these meals must contain 36 grams of carbs. And on a No Carb Day, no carbs can be consumed all day.

The author of this article mentions how he dislikes counting cals and how this diet allows the person to neglect counting calories so long as they satisfy the requirements. This is my biggest concern. Shouldn't there always be a deficit from my maintenance cals in order to lose body fat? Without getting too scientific, I understand the premise of this diet but do not understand why calories can just be ignored.

Another question is about fat. The author sort of skimps over this topic. From my understanding, a person is required to consume 10-15g a day of healthy fats. Is this true?

The author also sort of skimps out on talking about the use of vegetables in this diet. Are non-starchy vegetables supposed to be eaten with each big meal? I understand vegetables carry some carb content but it seems unhealthy to neglect them on a no carb day.

I started this diet with an open mind and the knowledge that my weight would fluctuate dramatically from day to day. This is certainly the case so far. I just finished my first 3-day cycle and noticed that after my high carb day I was a few lbs heavier than my no carb day. I wanted to know how long it is okay to use this diet. I was originally planning on doing it for 4 weeks and continuing if I saw results but after researching this diet; it seems as if it can be used long-term.

Sorry for all the noob questions on my first post and I thank anyone in advance for helping me.

Thanks,
Nick

cumminslifter
06-23-2014, 06:32 PM
may i first ask what your reasoning for carb cycling is

BDNick
06-23-2014, 06:37 PM
may i first ask what your reasoning for carb cycling is

Reduce BF%. I am muscular but have a layer of unwanted fat that won't go away