PDA

View Full Version : Coastal Maine Vacation Recommendations?

PrincePoutine
06-23-2014, 11:44 AM
In late August, I have an afternoon business meeting in Bangor. I've not been to Maine and I'm bringing the family (me, wife, 9 and 6yo kids) for a vacation. A day at Acadia NP would be on the itinerary. Typically we like renting houses for base camp and exploring the area by day. Our family enjoys water and outdoor activities and Maine has plenty to offer.

So, anyone care to recommend an area to stay, thing to see, and something unique to the area to do? The trip appears it would be mostly beach, hiking, and lahbstah!

tyrsnbdr
06-23-2014, 02:07 PM
I enjoyed Kittery. Beaches, Beach town feel, and just pleasant.

acrawlingchaos
06-23-2014, 07:28 PM
How long did you intend on staying in the area? Where are you from?

PrincePoutine
06-23-2014, 08:35 PM
One week, Michigan

Mainer215
06-25-2014, 08:44 PM
Well I live very close to Bangor and there is a lot to do here. Acadia should definitely be on the list. In Bucksport there is Fort Knox which is an old granite fort built during the Spanish-American war (I believe it was that war) that is interesting and you can also access the Penobscot Narrows Bridge observatory which is at the top of one of the bridge towers. From it you can see Mount Katadin which is Baxter State Park, Cadillac Mountain in Acadia, and others. (Note: you can see a long ways on a clear day)

I do not know when the best whale watching months are but you can get whale watching cruises in Bar Harbor and some of the other surrounding coastal towns. This would be very cool for the kids if they have never seen one.

Acadia National Park is approximately 1 hour from Bangor and has many hikes for all ages. We just did Beehive this past Saturday. (Note: not for people with an aversion to heights like me)

North of Bangor there is Katadin Iron Works which has the remnants of an old iron ore smelting operation which is neat and farther in on that road is Gulf Hagas and the Appalachian Trail which are both fairly easy hikes. Of course you would not do the whole Appalachian Trail but you could say that you had been on part of it.

Be advised that Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park are very busy this time of year but if you don't mind traffic then you will be fine. Plus if you can get close there is a free bus service on the island that takes you just about everywhere.

If you need any specific info or would like some other ideas just send me a PM. I would be glad to give you whatever advice I can.

strongpath
06-26-2014, 05:41 PM
Good call on taking the family to Maine. I did something similar to what you are planning and rented a house in Cape Elizabeth for two weeks, just outside of Portland. Did various day trips from there and explored a different beach almost every day along the coast and then sampled some of the awesome fare in Portland in the evening. Awesome places to eat in Portland (but the best lobster and best view is from the Lobster Shack in Cape Elizabeth). Loved Scarborough and Crescent Beaches. My son loved the amusements at Old Orchard Beach. Took him on a lobstering boat "Lucky Catch" out of Portland which was an awesome hands-on experience for him. Going to the home of LLBean in Freeport was on the list too. Your disappointment will be that the time will go by too quickly. Maine is a wonderful place and there is so much to explore. But as Mainer said, it's busy in the summer. It seems Maine is the summer destination for half of Quebec, particularly during the 2-week period in summer during Quebec's construction holiday = large crowds around Old Orchard and Ogunquit. A lot of places will be booked up already. I recommend you check out Tripadvisor and the forums on Maine. You will find a ton of info online.