PDA

View Full Version : Any sailors in here? How to lose 18lb in ten days...

Flounderbout
06-23-2014, 03:14 AM
Easy. Sail across the North Sea in a 15ft dinghy. In a Force 9.

If there are any sailors in here I thought they might find this interesting.

Bill Brockbank is my uncle.

This article in the Guardian on Saturday is about his completely insane voyage to Norway 50 years ago in an open dinghy. To be honest the article does not really begin to do justice to just how close to death they both came, and what it took to make it back alive. The reference to Bill meeting his sister who was about to move to the States is to my mum. What he doesn't mention is that both she and my grandparents had assumed (along with everyone else) that Bill had died at sea. She still can't listen to "Those in Peril on the Sea" without blubbing...

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/jun/21/sailing-into-hell-two-men-dingy-dangerous-journey

This is the film linked in the article - it is quite a long watch, narrated in that typical understated British style of the mad explorer. But if you have 20mins to spare, you may find it interesting. Again it doesn't really begin to do justice to the situation they found themselves in. If you have ever been in a Force 9, or in a 15ft dinghy in a stiff blow, or in a proper boat in a serious sea, then you may be able to get some slight grasp of what it must have been like.

U0yh_btiNIk

Madmans.

dazlittle
06-23-2014, 03:59 AM
They are madmans! great story thanks for posting.

ChazWood
06-23-2014, 07:40 AM
Fantastic story, thanks for sharing FB!

I marvel at the intestinal fortitude of adventurers like Dye and your Uncle. Long before the advent of GPS and technical clothing.

My own experiences offshore in my 20s provided a profound exercise in humility and gave me a great respect for the forces of nature.

On the subject, I strongly recommend "Gypsy Moth" Circles the World (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gipsy-Circles-Sailors-Classics-Library/dp/0071414282) if you haven't already read it. :)

GuyJin
06-23-2014, 08:05 AM
Fantastic story...and all of it true. Repped!

Flounderbout
06-23-2014, 09:57 AM
They are madmans! great story thanks for posting.

Every time I see a Wayfarer dinghy I think of those guys in the middle of the Atlantic. Absolute insanity.

Fantastic story, thanks for sharing FB!

I marvel at the intestinal fortitude of adventurers like Dye and your Uncle. Long before the advent of GPS and technical clothing.
My own experiences offshore in my 20s provided a profound exercise in humility and gave me a great respect for the forces of nature.
On the subject, I strongly recommend "Gypsy Moth" Circles the World (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gipsy-Circles-Sailors-Classics-Library/dp/0071414282) if you haven't already read it. :)

I'm a big sailing fan, but the appeal of green water voyages is a bit lost on me. And that is in proper boats. The idea of doing it in a dinghy, in oilskins and woollen sweaters and no lifejackets or liferaft? No thanks...!
Thanks for the Gypsy Moth tip. Will definitely dig that out and have a read...

Fantastic story...and all of it true. Repped!

Throw in a lesbian swordswoman and you could have your next novel right there GJ... :D

theKurp
06-23-2014, 11:47 AM
I'm a big sailing fan, ...

As am I. Curious, do you own a sailboat?

cmoore
06-23-2014, 11:55 AM
Sort of but only if they're tin canned and nuclear powered.

Flounderbout
06-23-2014, 10:09 PM
As am I. Curious, do you own a sailboat?

Just a little dinghy. I sometimes think it would be fun to have a yacht. Then I remember that I prefer not being penniless. :D