PDA

View Full Version : Grilling tips

Guinea-pig
06-21-2014, 05:28 PM
I'll start, make sure your grilling rack is level so your sauces will stay on your meats.

Mulloway69
06-21-2014, 05:34 PM
Use a teflon non stick sheet on your flat plate or grease proof paper if you don't have one.

http://img.weiku.com//waterpicture/2012/6/15/2/BBQ_non_stick_grill_sheet_50_40_teflon_cooking_mat _634759453515206877_1.jpg

frozensparky
06-21-2014, 05:39 PM
Don't press down on your meats. You squeeze all the juices out of them and dry them out.

so-tex
06-21-2014, 05:48 PM
I'll start, make sure your grilling rack is level so your sauces will stay on your meats.No offence Guinea, but my motto is, if you have to put sauce on the meat, then it ain't worth cooking. To each his own. :)

Don't press down on your meats. You squeeze all the juices out of them and dry them out.Qft, especially steaks. Cook those fukers on the high heat, no more than 5-6 minutes for and 1 1/4 " steak.

latebloomingmom
06-21-2014, 05:49 PM
1. I believe its a good idea to buy your meat before firing up the grill :)

2.when starting up the fire..have your wife record it
in case the paramedics wanna know what happened to your eyebrows

3. whenever she asks if its done yet...say something like
"ya know what would go really good with this? salad...corn on cob....man wouldn't ice cream be a good desert"

so-tex
06-21-2014, 05:53 PM
I believe its a good idea to buy your meat before firing up the grill :)Well duh. :rolleyes:

latebloomingmom
06-21-2014, 05:56 PM
Well duh. :rolleyes:
"hon...where's the lighter fluid at..where is the charcoal...did I defrost the meat.."

:D
oh and when something rolls off or drops say something like
" oh we will just pick the grass off that one and give it to your brother"

Guinea-pig
06-21-2014, 06:08 PM
No offense taken ST, I just like to mop my ribs ones in awhile. :)

But I hear you !

so-tex
06-21-2014, 06:19 PM
No offense taken ST, I just like to mop my ribs ones in awhile. :)

But I hear you !Yeah, I don't mind a thin, vinegar based sauce, especially on a thick rack of beef ribs.

Jtbny
06-21-2014, 06:19 PM
Brush a little olive oil on your home made burgers (because pre made patties are for communist) so they won't stick.

Nikonguy
06-21-2014, 06:38 PM
Ummm, make sure the beer is cold before you start the fire.

so-tex
06-21-2014, 06:42 PM
When grilling hamburgers, make sure the meat consists of 30% fat so they won't stick.Fixed. ;)

so-tex
06-21-2014, 06:44 PM
"hon...where's the lighter fluid at..where is the charcoal...did I defrost the meat.."

:D
oh and when something rolls off or drops say something like
" oh we will just pick the grass, wipe the cow sh!t off that one and give it to my brother in law"Xactly. :)

Guinea-pig
06-21-2014, 06:44 PM
Ummm, make sure the beer is cold before you start the fire.
We are on the same page !

Guinea-pig
06-21-2014, 06:46 PM
Use a teflon non stick sheet on your flat plate or grease proof paper if you don't have one.

http://img.weiku.com//waterpicture/2012/6/15/2/BBQ_non_stick_grill_sheet_50_40_teflon_cooking_mat _634759453515206877_1.jpg

We're can I purchase that ?

so-tex
06-21-2014, 06:51 PM
We are on the same page !Yup. Hey, is that pit in your AVI made out of a propane tank? I make mine out of used oil field casing. When I was growing up on the Briscoe ranch in Catarina, we had fire brick pits. Had a large one at the headquarters, and smaller ones scattered throughout the ranch. Fire Brick pits make the best barbeque. I have a friend that has some guys from Mexico building his house. I asked them if they could make me a brick pit, and they said they could. Should be done in about 3-5 months, depending on when they finish his house.

Guinea-pig
06-21-2014, 07:01 PM
Yup. Hey, is that pit in your AVI made out of a propane tank? I make mine out of used oil field casing. When I was growing up on the Briscoe ranch in Catarina, we had fire brick pits. Had a large one at the headquarters, and smaller ones scattered throughout the ranch. Fire Brick pits make the best barbeque. I have a friend that has some guys from Mexico building his house. I asked them if they could make me a brick pit, and they said they could. Should be done in about 3-5 months, depending on when they finish his house.

Yep !
Trailer made out of oil field pipe , we are at south padre island , we just hit our four wheel drive and go as far away from the crowd as we can and setup camp.

so-tex
06-21-2014, 07:09 PM
Yep !
Trailer made out of oil field pipe , we are at south padre island , we just hit our four wheel drive and go as far away from the crowd as we can and setup camp.South Padre Island eh. I'm very Jelly. The family and I are planning for a trip down there, or we are going to float the Frio.

Guinea-pig
06-21-2014, 07:16 PM
South Padre Island eh. I'm very Jelly. The family and I are planning for a trip down there, or we are going to float the Frio.

Tubing there is awesome !
Doing Grand Canyon this year.

so-tex
06-21-2014, 07:24 PM
Tubing there is awesome !
Doing Grand Canyon this year.Yeah, the Frio is up right now due to recent rainfall. I'm lucky, in the fact that I have several family members who own houses on the river, so a week or two notice is all I need. For folks who want to go camping, rent a house or cabin, They're sol, unless they make reservations a year in advance.

Never done the Grand Canyon. That should be fun.

Clinos
06-21-2014, 09:20 PM
Beer should be no less than 10 feet from the Grill. Invest in a cooler if you must.

Cook the meat at room temperature.

Sear the meat to seal in the flavor.

Sear flip sear flip cook.

There is no shame to a beer koozy.

Get a meat thermometer so you can cook within range and not visit the hospital.

Mayonnaise is for communists.

so-tex
06-21-2014, 09:24 PM
Beer should be no less than 10 feet from the Grill. Invest in a cooler if you must.

Cook the meat at room temperature.

Sear the meat to seal in the flavor.

Sear flip sear flip cook.

There is no shame to a beer koozy.

Get a meat thermometer so you can cook within range and not visit the hospital.

Mayonnaise is for communists.The bolded is for novices. Real Barbequer's (cooks) can go by feel or looks. :)

Fishman15
06-21-2014, 09:33 PM
Fixed. ;) When grilling hamburgers, make sure the meat consists of 30% fat so the local firefighters have something to do...

Fixed yer fix...;)

DatTrolololsong
06-21-2014, 09:35 PM
Beat chicken breast to same thickness with meat mallet. All pieces reach safe internal temp at the same time

so-tex
06-21-2014, 10:05 PM
Fixed yer fix...;)You must not know how to barbeque. Beer has put out more flames than all the fires in the world!

cowboybiker
06-21-2014, 10:23 PM
Friends dont let friends eat their steaks well done.

SP1966
06-21-2014, 10:24 PM

I make a perfect medium rare steak and our oldest daughter will nuke it until it's a gray mess. She's her mother's daughter!

SP1966
06-21-2014, 10:25 PM
Beat chicken breast to same thickness with meat mallet. All pieces reach safe internal temp at the same time

I beat the meat mallet often though the idea of beating it on raw chicken seems wrong.

so-tex
06-21-2014, 10:29 PM
I beat the meat mallet often though the idea of beating it on raw chicken seems wrong.You're on to something that caused me to lament. I came up with the conclusion there are two types of men. Those that admit to beating their mallet, and those that lie about it.

cowboybiker
06-21-2014, 10:30 PM
I make a perfect medium rare steak and our oldest daughter will nuke it until it's a gray mess. She's her mother's daughter!

I like it where a good vet could have it back on its feet in 15 minutes.

Karl_Hungus
06-21-2014, 10:48 PM
I agree with all of you -- Summer just hasn't arrived until the grill has been fired up, and the air has been filled with the intoxicating sizzle of tofu dogs and garden burgers cooking to perfection on the grill. Top it off with an iced decaf soy vanilla latte with skim milk, and I think I have painted a picture of summer perfection that lives in the mind of every red-blooded American male.

so-tex
06-21-2014, 10:49 PM
I make a perfect medium rare steak and our oldest daughter will nuke it until it's a gray mess. She's her mother's daughter!My daughter used to be the same way, until she turned 15.

I like it where a good vet could have it back on its feet in 15 minutes.Lol yup. If I can get the mesquite wood up to 650 degrees, 1.5 minutes on each side. Seared, red and done.

frozensparky
06-21-2014, 11:00 PM

Agree, I used to go blue rare but eating at restaurants I got sick a few times so I had to move to rare. There is no sin greater than over cooking a steak IMO.

I always cook my steaks by feel. For me if it has the same feel as poking the pad below my thumb it's just right (rare)for me, if it's like poking my chin it's med rare for Angie

Chicken I cook until I can poke it with a fork and the juices run clear.

If I actually use sauces I don't put them on until the last minute or two otherwise your just burning sugar on your meat.

Steaks go on high heat, chicken and pork on med/high

Find a good butcher. We have an amazing butcher and I can custom order cuts and sizes. I often order 20 8oz and 20 4oz sirloins and they will cut and box them for me.

BBQing is like driving a manual/standard transmission vehicle, Everyman should know how to do it even if he doesn't do it all the time.

Karl_Hungus
06-21-2014, 11:10 PM
Ok folks ... let me throw this tip your way. We all know that when it comes to BBQ, it is the wood that enhances the natural flavor of the meat. It is very important to pair the right wood with the right cut of meat. I know what you are thinking: "Hey Karl, what do you use?" Well let me tell ya. Personally, I like to go with a nice high quality particle board .... or maybe cork board. Nothing really brings out the flavor of pressed plant material like a solid amalgam of various wood parts. So for all of you grill-o-philes out there, be sure to stop by the lumbar yard grab yourself some pressed wood for your next tofu burger party. You will thank me later.

Plateauplower
06-22-2014, 01:37 AM
When grilling multiple things like veggies, meat and fish grill the fish last so everything doesn't have a hint of fish.

When grilling fatty fish clean out the grill regularly, nothing is worse than a catfish fire.

If you can patch your boots with your meat when done you cooked it too long.

If your steak is still bleeding and mooing when it comes off it's just right.

Always have an extra tank of LP on hand.

Sterilize the grill tools that contacted raw chicken/pork by searing them in the grill flame.

Watch grill university if you can find it on tv, the guy is goofy and seems like he inhaled too much um grill smoke, but has lots of cool grilling tricks...

so-tex
06-22-2014, 02:32 AM
When grilling multiple things like veggies, meat and fish grill the fish last so everything doesn't have a hint of fish.

When grilling fatty fish clean out the grill regularly, nothing is worse than a catfish fire.

If you can patch your boots with your meat when done you cooked it too long.

If your steak is still bleeding and mooing when it comes off it's just right.

Always have an extra tank of LP on hand.

Sterilize the grill tools that contacted raw chicken/pork by searing them in the grill flame.

Watch grill university if you can find it on tv, the guy is goofy and seems like he inhaled too much um grill smoke, but has lots of cool grilling tricks...Wait the fuking minute. I agree with you on some things, but propane? Where I come from, that is blaspheme. You have to use wood to grill or barbeque in these parts.

Disclaimer: I have to take in account that wood is not accessible to everybody. So.........Grill away. :p

latebloomingmom
06-22-2014, 04:28 AM
Ok folks ... let me throw this tip your way. We all know that when it comes to BBQ, it is the wood that enhances the natural flavor of the meat. It is very important to pair the right wood with the right cut of meat. I know what you are thinking: "Hey Karl, what do you use?" Well let me tell ya. Personally, I like to go with a nice high quality particle board .... or maybe cork board. Nothing really brings out the flavor of pressed plant material like a solid amalgam of various wood parts. So for all of you grill-o-philes out there, be sure to stop by the lumbar yard grab yourself some pressed wood for your next tofu burger party. You will thank me later.I think you should go with cardboard because I have tasted one of those garden burgers before :eek:

Mulloway69
06-22-2014, 04:32 AM
We're can I purchase that ?

Any hardware store or ebay etc bro.

Fishman15
06-22-2014, 05:24 AM
I think you should go with cardboard because I have tasted one of those garden burgers before :eek:

Did he just say "tofu" burger? That's a step I just not willing to take at this point...

Oceanside
06-22-2014, 06:57 AM
Ok folks ... let me throw this tip your way. We all know that when it comes to BBQ, it is the wood that enhances the natural flavor of the meat. It is very important to pair the right wood with the right cut of meat. I know what you are thinking: "Hey Karl, what do you use?" Well let me tell ya. Personally, I like to go with a nice high quality particle board .... or maybe cork board. Nothing really brings out the flavor of pressed plant material like a solid amalgam of various wood parts. So for all of you grill-o-philes out there, be sure to stop by the lumbar yard grab yourself some pressed wood for your next tofu burger party. You will thank me later.

if I just find some particle board out in a field (or in someones trash), is it really all that important that I take the nails out of it ?

Brackneyc
06-22-2014, 07:03 AM
Grilling is genetic. Men either have it, or they do not.

induced_drag
06-22-2014, 09:07 AM
For poultry and leaner pork, nothing beats a good brine. Really drives moisture into the meats (and carries with it other spices you have added to your brine).

Steaks are a no brainer.... But most people overcook chicken and pork. USE A MEAT THERMOMETER and cook to min temp and then let rest. The resting is important otherwise all the juices will run out as soon as you cut into it.

I have my grill, but lately have been taking to roasting in the brick oven!.

http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu187/induced_drag/2014-05-25154657_zps58cd9c9a.jpg

http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu187/induced_drag/2014-05-25175020_zps847180f8.jpg

frozensparky
06-22-2014, 09:19 AM
I have my grill, but lately have been taking to roasting in the brick oven!.

http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu187/induced_drag/2014-05-25154657_zps58cd9c9a.jpg

Seen your oven a few times and I'm looking into possibly putting one in my backyard. Must be great to have people over and sit around making pizza

Karl_Hungus
06-22-2014, 09:33 AM
Did he just say "tofu" burger? That's a step I just not willing to take at this point...

Any man who has not thrown a gelatinous hamburger-shaped mass of plant material on the grill is not a real man.

if I just find some particle board out in a field (or in someones trash), is it really all that important that I take the nails out of it ?

Don't be fooled by all the jokers in this thread who think they know bbq. Trust me, they don't. Nails and a few staples will add complexity to the flavor of your grilling item. Nothing beats the taste of a nice soy burger cooked on particle board with a few nails and staples.

SP1966
06-22-2014, 09:44 AM

Nothing adds flavor and a nice crust quite like adding a couple handfuls of shipping peanuts!! Adds that nice nutty flavor, and hey, you want smoke, you're gonna get smoke!!

Phattso
06-22-2014, 09:47 AM
When cooking larger pieces of meat (beef - brisket, skirt steak, etc.), other than steaks, like So-tex said, sear with high heat and smoke for about 10 minutes on each side. To avoid over-cooking and to retain juiciness wrap meat in foil tightly, place off of direct flame and cook to desired done-ness.

ChazWood
06-22-2014, 11:05 AM
Don't be fooled by all the jokers in this thread who think they know bbq. Trust me, they don't. Nails and a few staples will add complexity to the flavor of your grilling item. Nothing beats the taste of a nice soy burger cooked on particle board with a few nails and staples.
A question for the expert: If I don't have access to particle board, can I use drywall?

cowboybiker
06-22-2014, 12:15 PM
A question for the expert: If I don't have access to particle board, can I use drywall?

Make sure its Chinese.

Corbi
06-22-2014, 12:52 PM

My wife needs to have hers uber well done so all the flavor is cooked out of it. I will have a plate with blood all over it and she can't even look at it. Actually have a couple steaks marinading right now, will toss em on the grill about 6 or so.

Oceanside
06-22-2014, 01:56 PM

truth...

I really have a hard time not slapping the crap out of people who eat steaks well done.

frozensparky
06-22-2014, 02:06 PM
My wife needs to have hers uber well done so all the flavor is cooked out of it. I will have a plate with blood all over it and she can't even look at it. Actually have a couple steaks marinading right now, will toss em on the grill about 6 or so.

On at 6:00 off at 6:04

Jtbny
06-22-2014, 02:43 PM
Another grilling tip...

I'll assume everyone here is grilling with real wood and not briquettes because we are all alpha....

Chimney starters are awesome.

http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w369/Jtbny1125/314790644a1c67027ae6adeb7205613a.jpg

x-trainer ben
06-22-2014, 02:56 PM
1. marinade 12-24 hours
2. thermometer
3. charcoal ftw
4. cook low and slow for fall off the bone tenderness
5. yes wood chips work, soak for 30 min prior to use
6. so far... bullseye bbq sauce works for most things

cowboybiker
06-22-2014, 07:26 PM
http://scontent-a-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t1.0-9/10435129_752182871491985_1830414488924947350_n.jpg
http://scontent-a-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/t1.0-9/10441226_752188158158123_902606562595742357_n.jpg

Fishman15
06-22-2014, 07:51 PM
Nebraska Corn Fed Ribeye on da Weber.

http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o714/pmcgrath15/Steak_zpse7f10058.jpg (http://s1339.photobucket.com/user/pmcgrath15/media/Steak_zpse7f10058.jpg.html)

Please don't hate me...

DasPhilosopher
06-22-2014, 07:51 PM
Marinate the meat.

Clinos
06-22-2014, 09:30 PM
http://scontent-a-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t1.0-9/10435129_752182871491985_1830414488924947350_n.jpg

If I look at this cross eyed long enough I can see it like a 3d image. I also see the UFO hidden in the picture.

Karl_Hungus
06-22-2014, 09:43 PM
Nothing adds flavor and a nice crust quite like adding a couple handfuls of shipping peanuts!! Adds that nice nutty flavor, and hey, you want smoke, you're gonna get smoke!!

^^ This man clearly knows his way around a grill!

Dry wall? For BBQ? Now that is just plain nuts!

beachguy498
06-23-2014, 06:40 AM
The bolded is for novices. Real Barbequer's (cooks) can go by feel or looks. :)

I'll use one only if I have something on the rotisserie like a pork roast. Otherwise, no thermometer.

You must not know how to barbeque. Beer has put out more flames than all the fires in the world!

I did this last week myself, time to scrape out the bottom of the grill!

I like mine on the very rare side. But will cook part of the steak a little more for those who like it a bit more done. I've seen many a steak ruined due to making sure it was dead-dead.

gorbyak
06-23-2014, 07:25 AM
NO lighter fluid!
Room Temp Meat!
DONT MARINADE STEAK!
>600 degrees for a steak. There is no other way.

beachguy498
06-23-2014, 07:49 AM
NO lighter fluid!
Room Temp Meat!
DONT MARINADE STEAK!
>600 degrees for a steak. There is no other way.

I use a dry rub on my steaks. Can't stand that sloppy marinade thing that everyone seems to embrace. Agree with the dry rub and let it sit for an hour at room temp, then onto the grill. I'm not sure my grill goes that high though. Maybe the next time I have to heat treat a piece of aluminum I'll give it a go.

ChazWood
06-23-2014, 07:53 AM
http://i.imgur.com/8uLB5EM.jpg

Nothing beats wild caught for flavor.

Guinea-pig
06-23-2014, 10:22 AM
Thank you fellow Grillers for photos, recipes and ideas.

Let the grilling begin !!!

:)

Bushmaster
06-23-2014, 06:17 PM
I use a dry rub on my steaks.

Salt and Lemon Pepper for me.. what do you use?

Fishman15
06-23-2014, 06:41 PM
http://i.imgur.com/8uLB5EM.jpg

Nothing beats wild caught for flavor.

Baaaaaaaaaaa....