PDA

View Full Version : Converting from beer to whiskey

crupiea
06-21-2014, 02:24 PM
I drank beer for years but a few months back it just started to disagree with me. I stopped drinking all around and of course felt better but i dont want to rule it out all around.

So i figured I am at a point in my life to switch to whiskey.

Today is my first practice day. Figured I will just start with some Jim Beam and branch out from there. No need to pay big bucks for a fancy jug if i have nothing to compare it against.

Bought a pur water for the tap too because I thought that maybe whiskey and water would be something I would like.

That lasted for the first drink and now I am onto just on the rocks and liking it better.

My problem will be pacing. Coming from a beer guzzling background it is taking some practice to slow it down some. Have to think about it.

So far so good.

I know this thread will invite whiskey snobs so have at it. I will just do what I want to do anyway, just like always but any advise will be respected.

eomrat
06-21-2014, 02:32 PM
I drank beer for years but a few months back it just started to disagree with me. I stopped drinking all around and of course felt better but i dont want to rule it out all around.

So i figured I am at a point in my life to switch to whiskey.

Today is my first practice day. Figured I will just start with some Jim Beam and branch out from there. No need to pay big bucks for a fancy jug if i have nothing to compare it against.

Bought a pur water for the tap too because I thought that maybe whiskey and water would be something I would like.

That lasted for the first drink and now I am onto just on the rocks and liking it better.

My problem will be pacing. Coming from a beer guzzling background it is taking some practice to slow it down some. Have to think about it.

So far so good.

I know this thread will invite whiskey snobs so have at it. I will just do what I want to do anyway, just like always but any advise will be respected.

Whiskey snobs very rarely know anything about Whiskey. The fact is that Jim Beam is damn good Bourbon, and the Black Label stuff consistently ranks in the top ten of all Bourbons in blind taste tests.

Old-Time-Lifter
06-21-2014, 02:44 PM
In the day I drank whatever was on sale for the cheapest price. ;)

Would rather drink tequila these days. :)

deadwoodgregg
06-21-2014, 02:44 PM
Not a whiskey drinker, but Jack Daniels has awesome free tours of their facility. Really nice museum/visitors center.

http://lore.1220.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/JD02a.jpg

Interesting fact: Jack Daniels is in a dry county, so you have to go to the next county to even buy it. They do sell it by the barrel. They bottle it and send you the barrel. I think they engrave the barrel with the buyer's name

http://www.headbubba.com/Jack_Daniels/Distillery_Tour/images/large/Single_Barrel_Ready_To_Ship.jpg

crupiea
06-21-2014, 02:51 PM
Whiskey snobs very rarely know anything about Whiskey. The fact is that Jim Beam is damn good Bourbon, and the Black Label stuff consistently ranks in the top ten of all Bourbons in blind taste tests.
I noticed this. Will get some next jug. It was about $8 more though so figured i had better start off walking before I run!!

weiss1967
06-21-2014, 03:02 PM
And then there is VAT69, on the rocks. Or Canadian Club (my fav), so little time and so many things to try... If you are on ketogenic diet, whiskey becomes a supplementation which promotes the state of ketosis. In moderation of course. And a good hand rolled.., oops sorry, forget it.

turbodiesel_kai
06-21-2014, 03:22 PM
Enjoy. I can't drink beer because I"m allergic to soemthing in it. STuffs up my sinuses. Whiskey though is the way to go. Maker's is my favorite. Try Woodford reserve, Bulleit, Buffalo Trace when you get time. Luckily for me, I live in KY so all of it comes from here for the most part so we get to see all the different kinds.

Jasonk282
06-21-2014, 03:25 PM
Jim or Jack

ajdahlheimer
06-21-2014, 03:39 PM
I'm a rum/vodka guy now.

But I used to drink a lot of whiskey years ago. Maker's Mark or Beam.

djflex
06-21-2014, 04:01 PM
Enjoy your new whiskey hobby crup.

I loved a nice crown sipper on the rocks back in the day and still do every now and then.

frozensparky
06-21-2014, 04:03 PM
I like Jim Beam. Recently I tried red stag made by Jim Beam. It's pretty tasty on the rocks. Old fashioneds are my favorite drink right now, tried them with all sorts of bourbons and their just as good with JB or red stag as any of the top shelf bourbons I've tried.

so-tex
06-21-2014, 04:06 PM
Enjoy your new whiskey hobby crup.

I loved a nice crown sipper on the rocks back in the day and still do every now and then.Yeah, me too. I really like the Crown black. In before I we get flamed for no bourbon. I do like bourbon, but it doesn't always agree with me.

crupiea
06-21-2014, 04:08 PM
I will try the black label next, then devils cut.

djflex
06-21-2014, 04:17 PM
Yeah, me too. I really like the Crown black. In before I we get flamed for no bourbon. I do like bourbon, but it doesn't always agree with me.

Have not tried the black. Been on more of a tequilla kick the last many months.

I honestly never cared about getting flamed by the bourbon crew. I just loved crown. But i did some beam and makers every now and them

frozensparky
06-21-2014, 04:23 PM
I honestly never cared about getting flamed by the bourbon crew. I just loved crown. But i did some beam and makers every now and them

Canadian whiskey is the push press bourbon is the OHP. Although they are similar one is obviously better

To me the difference is the same as spiced rum to dark rum. I like both, their both technically rum, but distinctly different

so-tex
06-21-2014, 04:24 PM
Have not tried the black. Been on more of a tequilla kick the last many months.

I honestly never cared about getting flamed by the bourbon crew. I just loved crown. But i did some beam and makers every now and themI love a good Tequila. Back when it was safe to go to Mexico, I could pick up a bottle of Hornitos for $12 and Patron for $28. Crown was $12, Jack was $10 and V.O. was a steal at $5.

crupiea
06-21-2014, 04:29 PM
I love a good Tequila. Back when it was safe to go to Mexico, I could pick up a bottle of Hornitos for $12 and Patron for $28. Crown was $12, Jack was $10 and V.O. was a steal at $5.

My 5th of beam was $13 on base this morning. thought that was a decent price for sure.

V-240
06-21-2014, 04:38 PM
I love this stuff, but it gets a bit spendy:

http://www.highwest.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Campfire_6.png

http://www.highwest.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Campfire_6.png

http://www.highwest.com/spirits/new-campfire/

Most of the time I like regular Jim Beam or Jim Beam Black. Every try white whiskey? Check out Jim Beam Ghost.

http://cdn1.listmill.com/sites/bottlespot/uploads/posts/2013/10/10/5538_01_jim_beam_white_whiskey_jacob_s_640.jpg

http://cdn1.listmill.com/sites/bottlespot/uploads/posts/2013/10/10/5538_01_jim_beam_white_whiskey_jacob_s_640.jpg

djflex
06-21-2014, 04:38 PM
I love a good Tequila. Back when it was safe to go to Mexico, I could pick up a bottle of Hornitos for $12 and Patron for $28. Crown was $12, Jack was $10 and V.O. was a steal at $5.

Wow vo at 5 bucks!

I been sipping at a bottle of don julio for awhile...

djflex
06-21-2014, 04:41 PM
My 5th of beam was $13 on base this morning. thought that was a decent price for sure.

Very reasonable . Beam was always a good value becsuse jack daniels always had a built in reputation. So people shell out a few extra for jack. Myself never a huge jack man

so-tex
06-21-2014, 04:46 PM
My 5th of beam was $13 on base this morning. thought that was a decent price for sure.Not bad at all.

Wow vo at 5 bucks!

I been sipping at a bottle of don julio for awhile...Don Julio is damn good as well. I had a friend give me a bottle of Respado a few years back. That stuff goes for about $125 in Mexico. It wasn't any smoother than Patron IMO. Yeah, when I drank on a regular basis my liquor cabinet had several bottles of that $5 V.O.

eomrat
06-21-2014, 05:03 PM
jack daniels always had a built in reputation. So people shell out a few extra for jack. Myself never a huge jack man

Tennessee creek water. Goat Piss.

If I drank 4 glasses of decent Kentucky Bourbon and then pissed in a dirty spittoon with a lump of charcoal in it, I would have produced Jack Daniels. If I had Ebola and the only cure was one tiny sip of Jack Daniels, I would go ahead and die a slow horrible agonizing death.

so-tex
06-21-2014, 05:20 PM

If I drank 4 glasses of decent Kentucky Bourbon and then pissed in a dirty spittoon with a lump of charcoal in it, I would have produced Jack Daniels. If I had Ebola and the only cure was one tiny sip of Jack Daniels, I would go ahead and die a slow horrible agonizing death.Doug, I take it you don't like Jack Black. :)
That was a damn funny synopsis.

Dave1958
06-21-2014, 06:02 PM
Whiskey, beer and bourbon are all products of corn. Taste is different based on process. To be labeled bourbon it most be manufactured in Kentucky.

eomrat
06-21-2014, 07:28 PM
Whiskey, beer and bourbon are all products of corn. Taste is different based on process. To be labeled bourbon it most be manufactured in Kentucky.

Beer is not made from corn, Bourbon is Whiskey, and Bourbon does not need to be made in Kentucky to be labeld "Bourbon.

Dave1958
06-21-2014, 10:23 PM
You are correct about beer. I was thinking moonshine, which is a less " processed" type of whiskey. But I stand by my statement on bourbon.

Karl_Hungus
06-21-2014, 10:51 PM
Never been much of a beer guy. I like it ..... I like it a lot actually -- but I hate having to drink 24-36 ounces of liquid to the get amount of alcohol I want. I am more of a rum guy now. Drink it almost every day. Ron Zacapa Solera 23 is a fantastic rum for the price ... Flor de Cana 18 year is very good too. A little less expensive, and still great is Appleton Estates 12-year.

Best rum I ever had was Ron Zacapa Centenario XO. But at $100 per bottle, it isn't something I can indulge much.

SP1966
06-21-2014, 11:18 PM
When we were in St.Petersburg a few years back a tour guide told us the following is how Vodka should be drank:

1. Inhale deeply a few times filling your lungs with as much air as you can.
2. With full lungs shoot the Vodka.
3. Exhale a number of times ridding you of the fumes.

She said if you do this you'll not get falling down drunk or hung over. Given this advice was given just before lunch after spending a few hours touring a really boring Russian Palace and would be followed by touring another really boring Russian Palace I decided to give it a try. I had quite a few shots and given the shoe leather chicken and onion soup was inedible and I only ate the fries I ended up very relaxed, yet not drunk. As the buzz wore off during the next tour there was no hangover effects at all and we went on to have an enjoyable night on board the ship where I tested the theory once again!

Turns out you can overdo it with the above rules and I spend a very hungover day walking the cobblestone streets of old Tallinn Estonia. The effects of a hangover are seriously worse when combined with trying to walk smoothly on an uneven surface yet for some reason the wife was not remotely sympathetic!!

In the end I've found that if I want to maintain a mellow buzz I have a double shot of Vodka, another single a half hour later, and again another a half hour later, after which one shot an hour keeps things relaxed without pain the next day!

So what does this have to do with Whiskey? Nothing, but it didn't really seem to fit in the Full ROM thread.

so-tex
06-21-2014, 11:32 PM
When we were in St.Petersburg a few years back a tour guide told us the following is how Vodka should be drank:

1. Inhale deeply a few times filling your lungs with as much air as you can.
2. With full lungs shoot the Vodka.
3. Exhale a number of times ridding you of the fumes.

She said if you do this you'll not get falling down drunk or hung over. Given this advice was given just before lunch after spending a few hours touring a really boring Russian Palace and would be followed by touring another really boring Russian Palace I decided to give it a try. I had quite a few shots and given the shoe leather chicken and onion soup was inedible and I only ate the fries I ended up very relaxed, yet not drunk. As the buzz wore off during the next tour there was no hangover effects at all and we went on to have an enjoyable night on board the ship where I tested the theory once again!

Turns out you can overdo it with the above rules and I spend a very hungover day walking the cobblestone streets of old Tallinn Estonia. The effects of a hangover are seriously worse when combined with trying to walk smoothly on an uneven surface yet for some reason the wife was not remotely sympathetic!!

In the end I've found that if I want to maintain a mellow buzz I have a double shot of Vodka, another single a half hour later, and again another a half hour later, after which one shot an hour keeps things relaxed without pain the next day!

So what does this have to do with Whiskey? Nothing, but it didn't really seem to fit in the Full ROM thread.Gawd Damn, cliffs please Thomas, uh I mean Steve. :)

jeffaus
06-22-2014, 06:22 AM

If I drank 4 glasses of decent Kentucky Bourbon and then pissed in a dirty spittoon with a lump of charcoal in it, I would have produced Jack Daniels. If I had Ebola and the only cure was one tiny sip of Jack Daniels, I would go ahead and die a slow horrible agonizing death.LOL, must spread rep around before giving to eomrat again.

jeffaus
06-22-2014, 06:24 AM
Whiskey, beer and bourbon are all products of corn. Taste is different based on process. To be labeled bourbon it most be manufactured in Kentucky.Have to disagree. In China, they make all the famous Bourbon brands. All copies of course, but damn the labels look identical.