PDA

View Full Version : It's Ofiicially Summer

so-tex
06-21-2014, 05:06 AM
The outlook here looks milder than normal. We're usually in the 100's by now.
http://www.intellicast.com/Local/Weather.aspx?location=USTX8965

What is it like in y'alls part of the world?

steffo99
06-21-2014, 05:23 AM
63 and some rain hanging in the air.
We had a few days at 77 or even hotter though.

Ok, back to watching european team championships in track and field. Wish us luck -
every time we made it to the highest division we been knocked down the following year. :(

deadwoodgregg
06-21-2014, 05:27 AM
Lower 90's this past week.

Back down into the mid 80's for next week which is normal here in the foothills of the Smokey Mountains this time of year.

My area has a pretty mild climate. Winters are rarely harsh. Summers are not bad. Very comfortable.

I would still like to have a place in Florida for 3 months in the winter.

so-tex
06-21-2014, 05:33 AM
Lower 90's this past week.

Back down into the mid 80's for next week which is normal here in the foothills of the Smokey Mountains this time of year.I've spent a little time up there in the Smokey Mountains. It doesn't get as hot, but the humidity is about the same as it is down here which is relatively high.

mcbourque
06-21-2014, 05:42 AM
66 in Seattle. Mid 70s later this week
And I don't care because I'm on summer break!!!!
8 weeks off!
(Sort of, I'm just SAHM now :) and have a whole lot of cleaning to catch up on)

latebloomingmom
06-21-2014, 06:03 AM
rain :(

jeffaus
06-21-2014, 08:32 AM
Mid 30's here (celcius )

BootneckBrah
06-21-2014, 08:34 AM
It's not rained here for nearly a week.

Srs.

Summer must be here.

cowboybiker
06-21-2014, 09:24 AM
Considering we didn't have a winter at all this really means nothing to me.

Yesterday it was 90 degrees at 8 am with a high of fuk you and your ice water.

whatevergirl
06-21-2014, 09:28 AM
I'm in FL, where it's always summer. ;)

Cass40
06-21-2014, 10:16 AM
Always summer crew checking in! Today 84 degrees.

Jtbny
06-21-2014, 11:02 AM
I use to take for granted the weather in Fla when I lived there. I mean it's brutal in the summer but I'll take that **** anyday over the weather up here in Syracuse NY in the winter.

Oh...and high 70s low 80s all week....

Summer fuk ya :D

cowboybiker
06-21-2014, 11:04 AM
Its so hot outside that breathing is making me sweat.

whatevergirl
06-21-2014, 11:05 AM
I use to take for granted the weather in Fla when I lived there. I mean it's brutal in the summer but I'll take that **** anyday over the weather up here in Syracuse NY in the winter.

Oh...and high 70s low 80s all week....

Summer fuk ya :D

Change of seasons is awfully nice, though. :o

Happy summer!

Jtbny
06-21-2014, 11:08 AM
Change of seasons is awfully nice, though. :o

Happy summer!

It is nice and something I did miss being a born and raised NYer but nothing beats wearing flip flops in Dec :D

Thanks you too!

Guinea-pig
06-21-2014, 11:45 AM
93 here but then again I'm only 114 miles south of you. :)

cowboybiker
06-21-2014, 11:51 AM
I think that once it hits 100 degrees, that whole no shirt, no service thing needs to be tossed out.

frozensparky
06-21-2014, 11:53 AM
Were sitting at about 75 for the past couple of days. Last week we had a massive hail storm and it dropped to just over freezing. This is what my weekend is looking like

http://i.imgur.com/zrmOILm.png

Last night we were treated to a drunken naked neufie at 2 in the morning.

kimm4
06-21-2014, 11:53 AM
Cool today only 64. High 70's - 80's the next few days.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k230/ksl04/10373789_10152553710786803_1752327408038999386_n_z ps7472fdc3.jpg (http://s89.photobucket.com/user/ksl04/media/10373789_10152553710786803_1752327408038999386_n_z ps7472fdc3.jpg.html)

so-tex
06-21-2014, 02:18 PM
93 here but then again I'm only 114 miles south of you. :)What part of the valley are you from? I work a lot down there.

turbodiesel_kai
06-21-2014, 03:14 PM
miserable in KY. 90s and humid. I'm on vacation right now in Seattle. low 70s, sunny and clear. my kind of weather!

Guinea-pig
06-21-2014, 03:18 PM
What part of the valley are you from? I work a lot down there.

Sorry about not replying earlier out getting some fire wood.:)

I reside in Palmview

so-tex
06-21-2014, 03:39 PM
Sorry about not replying earlier out getting some fire wood.:)

I reside in PalmviewPalmview is a nice place. I need to go get some more mesquite wood as well. My stock is getting low.

mcbourque
06-21-2014, 03:42 PM
miserable in KY. 90s and humid. I'm on vacation right now in Seattle. low 70s, sunny and clear. my kind of weather!

Isn't it nice today! Should be like that for a few more days. Nice time to
visit.
Solstice naked bikers parade today!

so-tex
06-21-2014, 03:57 PM
95 here right now with a heat index of 103. Don't mind the heat. It's the damn humidity :mad:

cowboybiker
06-21-2014, 03:59 PM
Solstice naked bikers parade today!

Where do I sign up?

GuyJin
06-21-2014, 04:00 PM
Rainy season just started here (Japan). That means rain off and on for the next month, high humidity, sweating all the time (not so bad) and then heat which is good for my old joints. Nights are still pleasantly cool, though.

cowboybiker
06-21-2014, 04:23 PM
Its almost too hot to bbq this tri tip I have marinating.

Almost. ;)

so-tex
06-21-2014, 04:26 PM
Its almost too hot to bbq this tri tip I have marinating.

Almost. ;)Are y'all still in a severe drought? Haven't looked at the drought monitor lately, since we have been getting rain.

DasPhilosopher
06-21-2014, 04:30 PM
Its so hot outside that breathing is making me sweat.

Yeah... shoes felt like they were on fire when i lived in fontana.

cowboybiker
06-21-2014, 04:32 PM
Are y'all still in a severe drought? Haven't looked at the drought monitor lately, since we have been getting rain.

Yes. But most of our water supply is underground. We apparently have enough to give orange county.

The saying is "Flush twice cause Anaheim needs the water"

so-tex
06-21-2014, 04:41 PM
Yes. But most of our water supply is underground. We apparently have enough to give orange county.

The saying is "Flush twice cause Anaheim needs the water"Yeah, I heard the crops were suffering in the San Joaquin Valley, due to lack of rain and restrictions on irrigation.

cowboybiker
06-21-2014, 04:45 PM
Yeah, I heard the crops were suffering in the San Joaquin Valley, due to lack of rain and restrictions on irrigation.
I'm seeing a lot of farm and ranch land being converted to tract housing.
New houses are popping up everywhere.

so-tex
06-21-2014, 04:49 PM
I'm seeing a lot of farm and ranch land being converted to tract housing.
New houses are popping up everywhere.Same way here in the Rio Grande Valley. Population explosion overload.

Cass40
06-21-2014, 05:04 PM
Blah blah....

cowboybiker
06-21-2014, 05:05 PM
Same way here in the Rio Grande Valley. Population explosion overload.
Major housing crash a few years ago and they're back at it again.

Some people never learn.

DasPhilosopher
06-21-2014, 05:06 PM
Cowboybiker didn't quote me :/

Dem feels :-(

cowboybiker
06-21-2014, 05:06 PM
Blah blah....

Blah blah blah?

cowboybiker
06-21-2014, 05:07 PM
Cowboybiker didn't quote me :/

Dem feels :-(quote

latebloomingmom
06-21-2014, 06:00 PM
what is this water shortage you speak of?

cowboybiker
06-21-2014, 06:07 PM
what is this water shortage you speak of?

Its when the water is in short supply.

Its a conspiracy by the bottled water corporations to increase their prices.

Guinea-pig
06-21-2014, 06:08 PM
Same way here in the Rio Grande Valley. Population explosion overload.
I guess that's how they (our politiotions) justified our new court house costing over 150 million.:(

so-tex
06-21-2014, 07:14 PM
what is this water shortage you speak of?Trish, water is becoming a serious problem. The Rio Grande Valley in Texas gets the majority of it's water from the Rio Grande River. Luckily, right now there is plenty of water, but this runs in cycles, and with the tremendous population growth there, more water is going to be needed for the municipalities.
There is an oil boom going on down here on the Eagleford Shale, and they are using a tremendous amount of water from the Carrizo Aquifer , which is already 2-3,000 feet deep. In this part of Southwest Texas is very arid, and probably has an average yearly rainfall of around 10 inches. It does however have very good soil for raising vegetables and corn.
If you go a little northwest, there is the Winter Garden Area. It gets it's water from the Edwards Aquifer, near San Antonio. Very little average rainfall, but very fertile soil. The problem here, is that the City of San Antonio is growing, and they are buying up the water rights from the farmers southwest of them at a very rapid pace.

Now, You get out to West Texas and the Panhandle, water is now being metered for agricultural use. This just now started. Again, the Lubbock area is arid, and depends on irrigation water to make a crop. A lot of corn, wheat and cotton are grown in this area. It's going to come to a point where these farmers will not have the needed water. (pretty much that way now.) Pretty scary.

I guess that's how they (our politiotions) justified our new court house costing over 150 million.:(Politics my friend. You know how it works here. :)

DasPhilosopher
06-21-2014, 07:16 PM

You're the man!!

latebloomingmom
06-21-2014, 07:17 PM
Trish, water is becoming a serious problem. The Rio Grande Valley in Texas gets the majority of it's water from the Rio Grande River. Luckily, right now there is plenty of water, but this runs in cycles, and with the tremendous population growth there, more water is going to be needed for the municipalities.
There is an oil boom going on down here on the Eagleford Shale, and they are using a tremendous amount of water from the Carrizo Aquifer , which is already 2-3,000 feet deep. In this part of Southwest Texas is very arid, and probably has an average yearly rainfall of around 10 inches. It does however have very good soil for raising vegetables and corn.
If you go a little northwest, there is the Winter Garden Area. It gets it's water from the Edwards Aquifer, near San Antonio. Very little average rainfall, but very fertile soil. The problem here, is that the City of San Antonio is growing, and they are buying up the water rights from the farmers southwest of them at a very rapid pace.

Now, You get out to West Texas and the Panhandle, water is now being metered for agricultural use. This just now started. Again, the Lubbock area is arid, and depends on irrigation water to make a crop. A lot of corn, wheat and cotton are grown in this area. It's going to come to a point where these farmers will not have the needed water. (pretty much that way now.) Pretty scary.

Politics my friend. You know how it works here. :)living in michigan with the great lakes all around I never even thought about a shortage but when we lived in Nebraska for five years there were summers when we were told not to water our lawns anymore in order to conserve water.

GuyJin
06-21-2014, 07:54 PM
Trish, water is becoming a serious problem. The Rio Grande Valley in Texas gets the majority of it's water from the Rio Grande River. Luckily, right now there is plenty of water, but this runs in cycles, and with the tremendous population growth there, more water is going to be needed for the municipalities.

Politics my friend. You know how it works here. :)
---

You forgot to say "Thanks, Obama."

Just an FYI.
;)

Cass40
06-21-2014, 08:03 PM
Blah blah blah?
sorry couldnt concentrate without pictures but im getting it now :)

so-tex
06-21-2014, 08:03 PM
---

Just an FYI.
;)Lol on spread. Srs. though, this is a problem that has been a long time coming. I've been preaching that water is going to be the next liquid gold, and there are people who have gotten rich buying up water rights. T. Boone Pickens is one that comes to mind.

JediRN
06-21-2014, 08:19 PM
---

Just an FYI.
;)

Lol on spread. Srs. though, this is a problem that has been a long time coming. I've been preaching that water is going to be the next liquid gold, and there are people who have gotten rich buying up water rights. T. Boone Pickens is one that comes to mind.

Naw. it's always Obama's fault. Hopefully the next President will cut taxes and our water shortages will go away.

so-tex
06-21-2014, 08:27 PM
Naw. it's always Bush's fault. Don't believe me, ask ObamaFixed that for ya my liberal friend. ;)

GuyJin
06-21-2014, 08:32 PM
I'm no expert in the affairs of the state of Texas, Bill, but to me, there's always a trade-off. Fracking is--or seems to be--the future method of getting relatively cheap fuel, but in return it uses up a vast amount of water not to mention screwing with the environment big time in spite of the safety measures the companies say they use. So what's it t to be? Serious on this. I don't have an answer...thoughts, please.

so-tex
06-21-2014, 08:42 PM
I'm no expert in the affairs of the state of Texas, Bill, but to me, there's always a trade-off. Fracking is--or seems to be--the future method of getting relatively cheap fuel, but in return it uses up a vast amount of water not to mention screwing with the environment big time in spite of the safety measures the companies say they use. So what's it t to be? Serious on this. I don't have an answer...thoughts, please.You bring up a very good point. Landowners are getting rich from the oil being pulled out of the shale, so even though they are using their water, the payoff is worth it. These landowners are literally making more money in one month, from their oil royalties, than they could make in a lifetime farming are ranching. I don't have an answer either.

Edit: As far as the companies screwing with the environment, that is not happening directly. They must follow strict guidelines, and wildlife is thriving, so it doesn't hurt them. Indirectly? Only time will tell.

There is no easy answer.

JediRN
06-21-2014, 08:50 PM
I'm no expert in the affairs of the state of Texas, Bill, but to me, there's always a trade-off. Fracking is--or seems to be--the future method of getting relatively cheap fuel, but in return it uses up a vast amount of water not to mention screwing with the environment big time in spite of the safety measures the companies say they use. So what's it t to be? Serious on this. I don't have an answer...thoughts, please.

You bring up a very good point. Landowners are getting rich from the oil being pulled out of the shale, so even though they are using their water, the payoff is worth it. These landowners are literally making more money in one month, from their oil royalties, than they could make in a lifetime farming are ranching. I don't have an answer either.

Alternate energy desalination. A lot of these areas affected have lots of sunlight and wind just going to waste. At somepoint it will be cheap enough.

Made me think of the moisture farms on Star Wars... I can't imagine why? :)
Now if I could only get a driod that speaks Bachi.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/83/Luke-Treadwell_close_large.jpg/220px-Luke-Treadwell_close_large.jpg

so-tex
06-21-2014, 08:58 PM
Alternate energy desalination. A lot of these areas affected have lots of sunlight and wind just going to waste. At somepoint it will be cheap enough.

Made me think of the moisture farms on Star Wars... I can't imagine why? :)
Now if I could only get a driod that speaks Bachi.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/83/Luke-Treadwell_close_large.jpg/220px-Luke-Treadwell_close_large.jpgGood point. We already have a lot of wind generators east of me, and there are a bunch in West Texas as well. It's only a matter of time before we go to desalination. We should have done it 20 years ago in my humble opinion, but politics always seem to get in the way.

frozensparky
06-21-2014, 09:55 PM
Good point. We already have a lot of wind generators east of me, and there are a bunch in West Texas as well. It's only a matter of time before we go to desalination. We should have done it 20 years ago in my humble opinion, but politics always seem to get in the way.

Even wind and solar have issues with environmental impact. Battery disposal can cause major soil contamination. Is it as bad as fracing and pulling oil out of the ground, I don't know. But it is really not as "green" as everybody is led to believe.

The other issue is energy supply is not the only thing oil is used for. A lot of manufactured goods use oil products. I don't think we can make roads out of sunshine or wind.

Full disclosure I work for an oil company so take everything I say knowing that food goes on my table and clothes on my kids backs because of oil

so-tex
06-21-2014, 10:03 PM
Even wind and solar have issues with environmental impact. Battery disposal can cause major soil contamination. Is it as bad as fracing and pulling oil out of the ground, I don't know. But it is really not as "green" as everybody is led to believe.

The other issue is energy supply is not the only thing oil is used for. A lot of manufactured goods use oil products. I don't think we can make roads out of sunshine or wind.

Full disclosure I work for an oil company so take everything I say knowing that food goes on my table and clothes on my kids backs because of oilI agree with most of what you're saying. A lot of the so called green energy is politically driven. I farm & ranch, and I'm an ag. inspector, so I guesss I put food on your table with the oil you produce to allow me to do so.:p. Ah the circle of life.

JediRN
06-21-2014, 10:10 PM
There are so many great things that can come from oil...like plastics. We'll always have a need, so I hope we'll always have it. Just a shame that we have to burn so much of it.

Fishman15
06-21-2014, 11:06 PM

This is the dirty little secret many can't grasp on to...

Fishman15
06-21-2014, 11:15 PM
So what's it t to be? Serious on this. I don't have an answer...thoughts, please.

USA needs to get the hell out of the middle east and become self reliant on energy. We have some brilliant people in the country but this escapes me why we can't make this happen. Political? Oh yea...

so-tex
06-21-2014, 11:16 PM
This is the dirty little secret many can't grasp on to...Qft, and for the record, I never said that we could totally rely or sunshine and wind. The jury is still out if it is cost effective (which I doubt it is at this time.)

frozensparky
06-21-2014, 11:17 PM
This is the dirty little secret many can't grasp on to...

That and the amount of jobs that oil provides. Where I live I would guess that at least 75% of jobs are oil field related at the low end. I'm all for lowering consumption, and having less of a carbon foot print, but things if truly cleaner have to be made affordable, and provide jobs. because if consumption goes down oil companies will eliminate jobs to keep profits up. Those people will need jobs so they don't need govt assistance to get by.

Fishman15
06-21-2014, 11:22 PM
Where do I sign up?

You and "Mr Midnight" just show up in all your glory. If you miss this naked parade, there will be another one soon. Patience..

so-tex
06-21-2014, 11:22 PM
That and the amount of jobs that oil provides. Where I live I would guess that at least 75% of jobs are oil field related at the low end. I'm all for lowering consumption, and having less of a carbon foot print, but things if truly cleaner have to be made affordable, and provide jobs. because if consumption goes down oil companies will eliminate jobs to keep profits up. Those people will need jobs so they don't need govt assistance to get by.Sparky, it's the same where I live, but I would venture to say that at least 85% of the jobs are oil field related. Indirectly, and the numbers increase.

JediRN
06-22-2014, 12:03 AM
That and the amount of jobs that oil provides. Where I live I would guess that at least 75% of jobs are oil field related at the low end. I'm all for lowering consumption, and having less of a carbon foot print, but things if truly cleaner have to be made affordable, and provide jobs. because if consumption goes down oil companies will eliminate jobs to keep profits up. Those people will need jobs so they don't need govt assistance to get by.

USA needs to get the hell out of the middle east and become self reliant on energy. We have some brilliant people in the country but this escapes me why we can't make this happen. Political? Oh yea...
Too many regulations? Yeah, I said it. I'm all for keeping the planet clean and minimizing environmental impact, but sometimes you just have to settle for keeping the planet as clean as possible. Yup, I said that too.

Qft, and for the record, I never said that we could totally rely or sunshine and wind. The jury is still out if it is cost effective (which I doubt it is at this time.)
We just spent a trillion dollars trying in Iraq in Iraq and who knows how much we have given to Israel trying to maintain stability in the middle east so that we can ship out the oil but that money never gets factored into the equation. If the 4,487 American deaths in Iraq since 2003 had a dollar value who knows what the total hidden cost of trying to stabilize that region is to oil. I'd rather spend the money here subsidizing jobs. (Of course I'd have a big government solution :) )

Good point. We already have a lot of wind generators east of me, and there are a bunch in West Texas as well. It's only a matter of time before we go to desalination. We should have done it 20 years ago in my humble opinion, but politics always seem to get in the way.

What politician in their right mind is going to support something that takes jobs from their state and potentially sends it to another state? They'd never get re-elected and the next politician (with pockets full of Big Oil money) who takes their job would be back to voting for their states own interests. Renewable energy is the solution but getting there is much easier said than done.

Back to the topic on hand.

I love summer and all those shorty shorts that make going out in public enjoyable.
http://img.humorsharing.com/media/images/1208/i_hot_girls_in_hot_short_shorts_019_501a8a902b6b8. jpg

pharmamarketer
06-22-2014, 06:00 AM
It's been beautiful in Jersey. And the garage sales are on the rise. I have been finding some killer stuff lately. Yes, I am one of those.

latebloomingmom
06-22-2014, 06:13 AM
http://apps2.eere.energy.gov/wind/windexchange/images/windmaps/mi_50m_800.jpg

latebloomingmom
06-22-2014, 06:14 AM
see the above map? Michigan is a tourist state..guess where the tourists like to go when they visit? oh the beaches you say?
hmmmm but that is where the wind blows ..we currently have over 600 wind turbines in just the thumb area and over 900 in state and its growing

BergMuscle
06-22-2014, 09:01 PM
We started summer with a killer rain storm that overflowed our gutters and just about wiped out a bunch of recently planted flowers. Today was much more like the summer we want to have. (Cleaned the gutters today. Too much fun.)