PDA

View Full Version : Boston scientists say triglycerides play key role in heart health

Fishman15
06-19-2014, 07:50 AM
For years, people concerned about their heart health have paid close attention to their personal stats, hoping for low levels of “bad” LDL cholesterol and high levels of “good” HDL cholesterol.

A pair of new studies published Wednesday in the New England Journal of Medicine offer some of the most persuasive evidence yet that a third indicator of heart health — a form of fat called triglycerides, which circulate in the bloodstream — may be just as important in determining heart health.

A massive genetic study led by a Boston cardiologist has identified a subset of people who carry rare mutations that cause them to have dramatically lower levels of triglycerides in their blood. Those people, in turn, were 40 percent less likely to have heart disease than people who didn’t have the mutation.

A European study published in tandem, including more than 75,000 people, confirmed that mutations in the same gene decreased triglyceride levels and the risk of heart disease to almost exactly the same extent as the Boston study.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/news/science/2014/06/18/boston-researchers-find-that-triglycerides-play-pivotal-role-heart-health/ynrM4QQwIq1fCCoRwMfOAN/story.html

Now I don't know about all this gene mutation stuff...way beyond me but I will say my trigycerides went from the high end of the range to below the low end (34 mg/dl) through a fairly low carb diet and consistant cardio/lifting. Who knew...????

Normal Triglyceride Range: 40-149 mg/dl

ajdahlheimer
06-19-2014, 07:54 AM
Mine were slightly above normal range which the Doc attributed to alcohol consumption last time I got checked.

beachguy498
06-19-2014, 08:14 AM
Mine were slightly above normal range which the Doc attributed to alcohol consumption last time I got checked.

Oh shi%... I definitely should wait a spell to have mine checked....

Oceanside
06-19-2014, 09:36 AM
I'd like to slap a triglyceride right in the face !

Karl_Hungus
06-19-2014, 10:28 AM

Well that is just plain rude!

bodyhard
06-19-2014, 10:43 AM
Is that a dinosaur of some kind?

Fishman15
06-19-2014, 11:28 AM
I'd like to slap a triglyceride right in the face ! Uh oh OS, dem triglycerides knockin at yer door? Don't pretend you don't hear them if they are...

theKurp
06-19-2014, 11:32 AM
The paradox here is that drinking wine increases your triglyceride levels, but drinking wine also reduces your risk of heart disease.

http://medicalconsumers.org/2011/03/13/of-wine-cholesterol-and-triglycerides/

Phattso
06-19-2014, 11:38 AM

That's racist - but acceptable in this scenario.

All you Triglycerides can just go to hell :mad:

DuracellBunny
06-19-2014, 01:39 PM
I haven't read the study, but one thing jumps out at me straight away. These people have a mutation which causes them to have lower triglycerides; how do we know that the mutation isn't also making them less likely to get heart disease and the triglycerides is just a side issue?

They are saying that A causes B which causes C when A could just cause C directly.

All of these statistical studies carry the same issue in that establishing a causal link is difficult with uncontrollable variables.

Oceanside
06-19-2014, 02:58 PM
Is that a dinosaur of some kind?

dude I was thinking the same thing about 5 hours ago..

triglyceride would make a great name for a dinasaur.........or a formal opponent for godzilla......back when godzilla used to fight other monsters !

EjnarKolinkar
06-20-2014, 08:49 AM
Neat

I read this guy's stuff (insomnia cure) about lipids. His feed is worth a sub if the subject interests you.

http://eatingacademy.com/cholesterol-2/the-straight-dope-on-cholesterol-part-ix

Brackneyc
06-20-2014, 10:55 AM
What about biglycerides.

so-tex
06-20-2014, 11:08 AM
What about biglycerides.Or quadrycelides. :eek:

hammerfelt
06-20-2014, 11:23 AM
After my heart attack I did a lot of research. The ratio of triglycerides to HDL is what I was finding. You want it to be better than 2 to 1. In other words if your HDL is 50 you want triglycerides below 100.

Phattso
06-20-2014, 02:00 PM
What about biglycerides.

I'm straight so that doesn't interest me. But I don't judge.