PDA

View Full Version : Help & advice

pens72
06-18-2014, 09:10 PM
Hello. I am 42 years old. Would appreciate some help and advice in my transformation to getting healthy again.

Quick back story - I'm 5'11 in October I was 220lbs - no muscle. 38 jeans (tight).. Terrible diet.. Drank to much.. Was getting very chubby had not been active for 10 years.

Saw a picture of Myself and thought damn my face is fat.. Plus I'm going through a divorce...so I joined a gym..

Currently 180lbs now. 34 jeans with a belt. I got to where I am by changing my diet to high protein low carbs cut out soda and most sugar, quit drinking and started lifting 4 days a week. My daily calorie intake was under 1,500 a day.

Now I have some ok muscle definition again like I am 20!! ;)

I want to take it to the next level but I don't want to be bulky and don't want to put on any weight.

My upper body has some good muscle tone but my mid section is very soft even though I'm pretty thin now.. I can still grab a fist full of far in my belly ;)

People see me now and think I look great but I would really like to try to get that feeling of 20s again where I can walk around shirtless ;)

What is good post work out ? Should I be taking bcaa ?

I would like to try and lose that last pinch a 2 inch in my belly and get more definition in my chest also increase my arm size.

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated as I continue to turn myself around.

My diet is not as strict anymore but I try to stay under 2,000 calories 150 carbs high protein and low sugar daily but over the past month I get these crazy binges where I just pig out a entire day, pizza, sugar, bread.. Like I have a hang over ;)

Happens about once a week and I'm having a hard time getting motivated when I lift anymore. I do lots of reps low weight. I would like to be more cut and not bulky.

I fear maybe I have hit my peak. I'm thin again, for 40 look like I'm in good shape now. The drive is not quite there anymore but I am still making it to the gym.

Sorry for the long post.

Ps: ever since I started working out 7 months ago I still often feel "high" and kind of dizzy after I workout. Doctors say i am healthy as can be. Some guys at the gym say it's endorphins, blood flow.. Maybe because my diet is strict.. I feel the high feeling creep in about 15 minutes into my workout and it last about 30 minutes after. Some have said it's normal.

Pss: what can I take so I always look as pumped up when I walk out of the gym ? 1 hour later it goes away haha.

Thanks!

pens72
06-18-2014, 09:17 PM
Hello. I am 42 years old. Would appreciate some help and advice in my transformation to getting healthy again.

Quick back story - I'm 5'11 in October I was 220lbs - no muscle. 38 jeans (tight).. Terrible diet.. Drank to much.. Was getting very chubby had not been active for 10 years.

Saw a picture of Myself and thought damn my face is fat.. Plus I'm going through a divorce...so I joined a gym..

Currently 180lbs now. 34 jeans with a belt. I got to where I am by changing my diet to high protein low carbs cut out soda and most sugar, quit drinking and started lifting 4 days a week. My daily calorie intake was under 1,500 a day.

I want to take it to the next level but I don't want to be bulky and don't want to put on any weight.

My upper body has some good muscle tone but my mid section is very soft even though I'm pretty thin now.. I can still grab a fist full of far in my belly ;)

People see me now and think I look great but I would really like to try to get that feeling of 20s again where I can walk around shirtless ;)

I would like to try and lose that last pinch a 2 inch in my belly and get more definition in my chest also increase my arm size.

My diet is not as strict anymore but I try to stay under 2,000 calories 150 carbs high protein and low sugar daily but over the past month I get these crazy binges where I just pig out a entire day, pizza, sugar, bread.. Like I have a hang over ;)

Happens about once a week and I'm having a hard time getting motivated when I lift anymore. I do lots of reps low weight. I would like to be more cut and not bulky.

I fear maybe I have hit my peak. I'm thin again, for 40 look like I'm in good shape now. The drive is not quite there anymore but I am still making it to the gym.

Sorry for the long post.

Ps: ever since I started working out 7 months ago I still often feel "high" and kind of dizzy after I workout. Doctors say i am healthy as can be. Some guys at the gym say it's endorphins, blood flow.. Maybe because my diet is strict.. I feel the high feeling creep in about 15 minutes into my workout and it last about 30 minutes after. Some have said it's normal.

Pss: what can I take so I always look as pumped up when I walk out of the gym ? 1 hour later it goes away haha.

Thanks!

I should also add I don't want to take anything with caffeine or things that speed your heart up, I have anxiety issues.. I don't trust what any of those sales people at gnc say.

I have been taking cla for 6 months. Don't know if it helped but I dropped most of the weight in 2 months! ( 30lbs ). I suppose it's mainly from the diet. Cla was the only thing I let gnc talk me into. Researching it was how I just found this forum.

Thanks again!

eomrat
06-18-2014, 09:24 PM

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks!

I suspect that you have not, in fact, hit your peak. If you have, then you have had an extremely productive 7 months.

Figure out what your goals are and report back. You are all over the place in this post.

pens72
06-18-2014, 09:34 PM
I suspect that you have not, in fact, hit your peak. If you have, then you have had an extremely productive 7 months.

Figure out what your goals are and report back. You are all over the place in this post.

Yeah I was all over the place. First post many questions.

My goals :

Not put any weight back on
Increase my arm size ( bi/Tri )
Tighten up my mid section
Just more definition overall.
And what's the deal with Dizzy high feeling ?

Thanks for the response.

Oceanside
06-18-2014, 09:40 PM
throw your weight scale away...

obsessing over numbers like that is gonna be counter productive to gaining any real size....

you wanna shortcut through all of this ?

learn to DL and squat and more importantly learn to like them both...

pens72
06-18-2014, 09:44 PM

obsessing over numbers like that is gonna be counter productive to gaining any real size....

learn to DL and squat and more importantly learn to like them both...

Dl ?

Not looking for a short cut per say, just looking to turn it up more be it supplements, change diet or change workout routines.

Fishman15
06-18-2014, 09:48 PM

My goals :

Thanks for the response.

You want bigger guns but don't want to put any weight on? Not compatible...

If you are actually feeling dizzy, it could be that you are not eating enough...

so-tex
06-18-2014, 09:54 PM

learn to DL and squat and more importantly learn to like them both...This. The scale will lie to you, especially in the beginning, when you are adding a little muscle. A tape measure and/or mirror is a better choice. Squats and deadlifts will strengthen your core, make you stronger and burn calories to harden up that mid section. You probably need to up your caloric intake a bit so in order to grow. (1500 calories is a bit low, unless all your going to do is curls and leg extensions.)

Dl ?

Not looking for a short cut per say, just looking to turn it up more be it supplements, change diet or change workout routines.Supplements aren't going to do anything for you at this point, unless you are talking about creatine and protein powder to help you meet your daily needs.

kimm4
06-18-2014, 09:58 PM

My goals :

Thanks for the response.

You're probably feeling dizzy because you're a grown man eating under 2000 calories a day. If you don't want to put on any weight, eat at maintenance calories and lift your ass off. It's called a recomp and I'll be honest, don't expect any major changes because things move at a snail's pace. You'd be better off eating slightly above maintenance calories to make better gains and this will help to keep fat gains at a minimal.

pens72
06-18-2014, 10:06 PM
This. The scale will lie to you, especially in the beginning, when you are adding a little muscle. A tape measure and/or mirror is a better choice. Squats and deadlifts will strengthen your core, make you stronger and burn calories to harden up that mid section. You probably need to up your caloric intake a bit so in order to grow. (1500 calories is a bit low, unless all your going to do is curls and leg extensions.)

Supplements aren't going to do anything for you at this point, unless you are talking about creatine and protein powder to help you meet your daily needs.

Thanks for the input!

I've been skeptical about supplements.
I get plenty of protein.

I do a lot of high rep / low weight. Should I maybe start upping the weight for arms & chest ?

Don't do squats, sounds like I should start. Come to think about it, I don't really do any core exercises outside of deep knee bends after I run only about twice a week.. What's a good routine to try and drop those love handles if they where gone my mid section probably would look much better.

pens72
06-18-2014, 10:14 PM
You're probably feeling dizzy because you're a grown man eating under 2000 calories a day. If you don't want to put on any weight, eat at maintenance calories and lift your ass off. It's called a recomp and I'll be honest, don't expect any major changes because things move at a snail's pace. You'd be better off eating slightly above maintenance calories to make better gains and this will help to keep fat gains at a minimal.

Thanks kim, others have suspected the dizzy high thing is diet.. My usual daily diet / routine is : bottle of water when I wake up, protein shake, head to gym lift for about 45 to a hr. Goto work eat about 2-3 protein bars rest of the day and about 10 bottles of water.. Very small dinner ( chicken size of my fist ) then run a mile about 3 nights a week and protein shake.. Then to bed.

I do seem to have somewhat of fear to every get out of shape and chubby again.. Sometimes at work we might have a lunch meeting and ill pig out, causes me to feel guilty ;)

so-tex
06-18-2014, 10:14 PM
Thanks for the input!

I've been skeptical about supplements.
I get plenty of protein.

I do a lot of high rep / low weight. Should I maybe start upping the weight for arms & chest ?

Don't do squats, sounds like I should start. Come to think about it, I don't really do any core exercises outside of deep knee bends after I run only about twice a week.. What's a good routine to try and drop those love handles if they where gone my mid section probably would look much better.Are you doing any cardio? Kimm 4 is the person you should really be addressing. She is probably the most qualified person posting here.

so-tex
06-18-2014, 10:17 PM
Thanks kim, others have suspected the dizzy high thing is diet.. My usual daily diet / routine is : bottle of water when I wake up, protein shake, head to gym lift for about 45 to a hr. Goto work eat about 2-3 protein bars rest of the day and about 10 bottles of water.. Very small dinner ( chicken size of my fist ) then run a mile about 3 nights a week and protein shake.. Then to bed.

I do seem to have somewhat of fear to every get out of shape and chubby again.. Sometimes at work we might have a lunch meeting and ill pig out, causes me to feel guilty ;)Wait a minute. so protein shakes/bars make up the majority of your diet?

pens72
06-18-2014, 10:17 PM
You want bigger guns but don't want to put any weight on? Not compatible...

If you are actually feeling dizzy, it could be that you are not eating enough...

Thanks fish, yeah I want bigger guns but don't want to put any weight on our increase my chest size..

I started this to lose weight, now I want to try and take it up a notch.

I posted my diet in another reply.

pens72
06-18-2014, 10:23 PM
Are you doing any cardio? Kimm 4 is the person you should really be addressing. She is probably the most qualified person posting here.

I do cardio but not nearly as hard as I lift. I run about 3 nights a week after work about a mile but it's up and down hills most of it. Takes about 15 minutes.

Kim, what is recomp ?

cowboybiker
06-18-2014, 10:23 PM
I think he's over complicating it.

Calculate your correct macros and use proper form.

If tou want to change up programs, theres plenty to choose from. Keep in mind, some people may take a few years to get major results.

Take progress pics and journal your progress on lifts.

Do you even have a goal?

cowboybiker
06-18-2014, 10:26 PM
Thanks fish, yeah I want bigger guns but don't want to put any weight on our increase my chest size..
Clive?

so-tex
06-18-2014, 10:27 PM

I posted my diet in another reply.Why wouldn't you want to increase your chest size? Does that mean you aren't doing any chest work, because that is one of the bigger body parts. You need to do some compound chest exercises. Believe me, it won't add 3 inches to your chest in a month. :).

kimm4
06-18-2014, 10:27 PM

I do seem to have somewhat of fear to every get out of shape and chubby again.. Sometimes at work we might have a lunch meeting and ill pig out, causes me to feel guilty ;)

I advise using a wide variety of whole food sources. You need protein, carbs and healthy fats throughout your day. The occasional protein shake or protein bar is fine, but whole foods sources will provide you with more nutrients and keep you feeling fuller. Your maintenance should be somewhere around 2700-2800 calories. I would bump your calories up and take a break from dieting. You'll have stronger workouts and probably feel a lot better when it comes to rest and recovery. A recomp is when people want to add some muscle and lose a bit of fat at the same time. They eat at maintenance calories because they don't want to have to deal with fat gains. I'm not a fan of the recomp because the changes move very slowly. You can make some gains, but it's nothing earth shattering. That's why I said to bump calories slightly above maintenance to build, but keep fat gains to a minimal.

You lifting program should be heavy and focused around the important compound lifts.

Some training programs to check into:

All Pro’s Beginner Routine

http://simplebeginnerroutine.wikia.com/wiki/All_Pro%27s_Simple_Beginner_Routine_Wiki

StrongLifts 5 x 5

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

Starting Strength Routine

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw52.htm

Bill Star’s 5 x 5 Programs

http://oldschooltrainer.com/bill-starrs-5-x-5-training/

so-tex
06-18-2014, 10:28 PM
Clive?Trolls aren't welcome in this thread so GTFO.

cowboybiker
06-18-2014, 10:32 PM
Trolls aren't welcome in this thread so GTFO.
If I'm leaving I'm taking you with me.

I'll let you buy me some Wingstop

so-tex
06-18-2014, 10:42 PM
If I'm leaving I'm taking you with me.

I'll let you buy me some WingstopYou driving, I'm buying. ;)

cowboybiker
06-18-2014, 10:50 PM
You driving, I'm buying. ;)

Be right there. Leave a light on

mcbourque
06-19-2014, 06:37 AM
I advise using a wide variety of whole food sources. You need protein, carbs and healthy fats throughout your day. The occasional protein shake or protein bar is fine, but whole foods sources will provide you with more nutrients and keep you feeling fuller. Your maintenance should be somewhere around 2700-2800 calories. I would bump your calories up and take a break from dieting. You'll have stronger workouts and probably feel a lot better when it comes to rest and recovery. A recomp is when people want to add some muscle and lose a bit of fat at the same time. They eat at maintenance calories because they don't want to have to deal with fat gains. I'm not a fan of the recomp because the changes move very slowly. You can make some gains, but it's nothing earth shattering. That's why I said to bump calories slightly above maintenance to build, but keep fat gains to a minimal.

You lifting program should be heavy and focused around the important compound lifts.

Some training programs to check into:

All Proís Beginner Routine

http://simplebeginnerroutine.wikia.com/wiki/All_Pro%27s_Simple_Beginner_Routine_Wiki

StrongLifts 5 x 5

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

Starting Strength Routine

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw52.htm

Bill Starís 5 x 5 Programs

http://oldschooltrainer.com/bill-starrs-5-x-5-training/

^^^ this here is all you need OP

And yes you need to start increasing the weights and work in lower rep range like 3-6 or 5-8. There's so much high rep/low weight can do for you.
Time to lift heavy :)

pens72
06-19-2014, 07:09 AM
^^^ this here is all you need OP

And yes you need to start increasing the weights and work in lower rep range like 3-6 or 5-8. There's so much high rep/low weight can do for you.
Time to lift heavy :)

Thanks all for the replies and help.

Sounds like it's time to change the diet around a little and raise the weights.

SmcAtUb
06-19-2014, 07:31 AM

I posted my diet in another reply.

Don't worry about this; it won't happen fast and it's a lot easier to loose mass than gain it. I've been on SL 5x5 for a couple of months now, and while I've gained some mass, I didn't go from Shaggy from Scooby-Do to He-Man overnight. If you find yourself getting too big for your tastes it'll happen slowly enough that you can make adjustments.

frozensparky
06-19-2014, 08:15 AM
If you find yourself getting too big for your tastes it'll happen slowly enough that you can make adjustments.

Once you see muscle going on you will probably be like everybody else that says they don't want to get bulky, you will change your mind and the gains will never be enough.

Kim pretty much laid out a winning strategy for you. Now it's your turn to either listen, implement and succeed, or ignore and fail

Fishman15
06-19-2014, 09:00 AM
Once you see muscle going on you will probably be like everybody else that says they don't want to get bulky, you will change your mind and the gains will never be enough.

Kim pretty much laid out a winning strategy for you. Now it's your turn to either listen, implement and succeed, or ignore and fail

It does tend to get slightly addicting doesn't it? lol

Frnkd
06-19-2014, 09:20 AM
It does tend to get slightly addicting doesn't it? lol

Tell me about it.
:D

jeffaus
06-19-2014, 09:30 AM

learn to DL and squat and more importantly learn to like them both...Solid advice right there. How much water you drinking Op? If Im not taking enough water in during my whole training session, I get dizzy as well.

Time for me to go eat some ice cream and cookies, mmmmmmmm

JediRN
06-19-2014, 09:33 AM

only advise I have is
1. Kimm4 will never steer you wrong,,, just do what she says.
2. read the stickies
3. Use too learn the search function

I think he's over complicating it.

Calculate your correct macros and use proper form.

If tou want to change up programs, theres plenty to choose from. Keep in mind, some people may take a few years to get major results.

Take progress pics and journal your progress on lifts.

Do you even have a goal?

Always have a goal. You can change it anytime you want... and you probably will. I started off wanting to lose all my fat, but thanks to the advise I got here, and I think from kim, I decided that it was better long lterm to focus on gaining muscle mass and take advantage of the noob gainz while I still can. Even with a bit of fat you will look a lot better with more muscle. You'll just stand straighter and move easier. Once you have some muscle when you do want to take off the extra fat it will be much easier. The great thing about lifting is that eating good and sleeping good are required for good progress.

that's all I got. best of luck to you.