PDA

View Full Version : Tim Duncan vs Kobe Bryant.....a good read

cgrimaldo
06-18-2014, 11:20 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2100273-has-tim-duncan-surpassed-kobe-bryant-as-generations-best-superstar?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming?is_shared=true?is_shared= true

EpicenterRex
06-18-2014, 11:44 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2100273-has-tim-duncan-surpassed-kobe-bryant-as-generations-best-superstar?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming?is_shared=true?is_shared= true

What I've seen and understand from laker/spurs fans, no spurs fan rages when people put Kobe over TD, and no laker fan really rages when people put TD over Kobe. Both fan bases respect the other fairly high, and they are both interchangeable on the all time list. I'd have no problem one ranking higher than the other by a spot or 2, no matter which one was put higher.

BeastModeFTW
06-18-2014, 11:45 AM
lol at comparing all sorts of things and not looking at the fact that Kobe is 4-2 vs Duncan in the playoffs. Also lol if you think Kobe wasn't the real MVP in 2003, 2006, and 2007. All 3 of those seasons were much more impressive than any season from Duncan.

antiwhitekn1ght
06-18-2014, 12:09 PM
lol at comparing all sorts of things and not looking at the fact that Kobe is 4-2 vs Duncan in the playoffs. Also lol if you think Kobe wasn't the real MVP in 2003, 2006, and 2007. All 3 of those seasons were much more impressive than any season from Duncan.

yup those 2003 and 2006 MVPs were Kobe's.....just lol at poverty Nash having 2 MVPs and Shaq (who many on this board consider the best center of all time) only has 1. Just goes to show what a bull**** award the MVP is .....I guess Lebron is 4x the player Shaq is, right? HA.

khanvictt
06-18-2014, 12:12 PM
yup those 2003 and 2006 MVPs were Kobe's.....just lol at poverty Nash having 2 MVPs and Shaq (who many on this board consider the best center of all time) only has 1. Just goes to show what a bull**** award the MVP is .....I guess Lebron is 4x the player Shaq is, right? HA.

and lebron's fg% is higher than shaq's. doesnt matter if shaq was 4-2 in the finals while lebron is 2-3

therefore lebron > shaq

ShweezyBTFO
06-18-2014, 12:14 PM
Sorry OP, sensible fans know that Duncan > Kobe but this forum is littered with rapist apologists.

antiwhitekn1ght
06-18-2014, 12:18 PM
and lebron's fg% is higher than shaq's. doesnt matter if shaq was 4-2 in the finals while lebron is 2-3

therefore lebron > shaq

oh yeah it doesnt matter, huh? Cause phaggot Lebron stans like you say it doesn't matter....It's literally comical..if Lebron loses 3 and COUNTING finals matches it doesnt matter but if he wins them then he is GOAT....just LOL.

Aesthetical
06-18-2014, 12:19 PM
Sorry OP, sensible fans know that Duncan > Kobe but this forum is littered with rapist apologists.

I dont understand how you can match these players up when they play different positions.

What are you using to determine who is better?

Anyone in the nba will tell you 03-06 was kobe prime and he was the most dominant player in the league during that time period. It just happened that his prime coincided with the teams collapse, where he dragged smush, lo, kwame, and mihm to the playoffs every year in the west.

Duncan has had the luxury of playing with a championship contender since 1999. His team never went through a rebuild.

ShweezyBTFO
06-18-2014, 12:23 PM
I dont understand how you can match these players up when they play different positions.

What are you using to determine who is better?

Anyone in the nba will tell you 03-06 was kobe prime and he was the most dominant player in the league during that time period. It just happened that his prime coincided with the teams collapse, where he dragged smush, lo, kwame, and mihm to the playoffs every year in the west.

Duncan has had the luxury of playing with a championship contender since 1999. His team never went through a rebuild.

Lmao yeah because Duncan himself couldn't have been a principal reason for the team being a championship contender since 1999. All those tosses in the dumpster must have rattled your brain.

khanvictt
06-18-2014, 12:24 PM
oh yeah it doesnt matter, huh? Cause phaggot Lebron stans like you say it doesn't matter....It's literally comical..if Lebron loses 3 and COUNTING finals matches it doesnt matter but if he wins them then he is GOAT....just LOL.

rofl.

bruh.

i am anything but a lebron stan.

cgrimaldo
06-18-2014, 12:46 PM
What I've seen and understand from laker/spurs fans, no spurs fan rages when people put Kobe over TD, and no laker fan really rages when people put TD over Kobe. Both fan bases respect the other fairly high, and they are both interchangeable on the all time list. I'd have no problem one ranking higher than the other by a spot or 2, no matter which one was put higher.Same here. For me anyway.

bsmith780
06-18-2014, 12:48 PM
Kobe all day

lsiberian
06-18-2014, 12:53 PM
Why pick one? They are both great at their job. Kobe is the 2nd best shooting guard ever. Duncan is the best PF ever.

ThatKindaGuy
06-18-2014, 01:01 PM
What I've seen and understand from laker/spurs fans, no spurs fan rages when people put Kobe over TD, and no laker fan really rages when people put TD over Kobe. Both fan bases respect the other fairly high, and they are both interchangeable on the all time list. I'd have no problem one ranking higher than the other by a spot or 2, no matter which one was put higher.

Holy fuk ... first post in a sports misc thread and its ... sensible?! Now I have seen it all.

I absolutely agree. Talking to a Spurs fan, I could see his point when he puts Duncan over Kobe. And he'd probably understand why I put Kobe over Duncan. And in the end we'd both agree that on plays the back court the other the front court, and while they can't be compared on all stats, they somehow end up on the same level ... and they stand alone.

wouldDrinkBeersWithSpursFans/10

Both have 5 rings
Both are undisputed leaders of their team
Both are franchise players that bleed their teams colors
Both have a rare longevity to their careers

Only difference is Duncan being #1 GOAT PF, while Kobe will be remembered as #2 SG of all time because Jordan is undisputed GOAT.

TaeBoNinja
06-18-2014, 01:15 PM
Kobe/Duncan is like Magic/Bird

giussepe20
06-18-2014, 02:35 PM
lmao at kobetards that think Kobe shouldve won MVP in 2003...'03 was Duncans absolute peak and he carried those Spurs on his back

Duncan: 5 rings, 3 FMVPs, 4 titles as the best player on his team, 2 MVPs
Kobe:5 rings, 2 FMVPs, 2 titles as the best player on his team, 1 MVP

sites.google.com/site/rapmstats/97-14-rapm-2

Why is this even a discussion?

giussepe20
06-18-2014, 02:42 PM

lol no, only kobetards will tell you that...03 was Duncan, 04 was KG, 05 was Duncan. I might give you 06 simply bc Duncan and KG were leaving their prime.

Also you wanna talk about luxury? How about the fact that Kobe forced his way to the winningest franchise that also happens to have one of the highest team salaries year in and year out. Or how about the fact that LA is one of the most desirable destinations for big name free agents. Duncan made San Antonio, and has won with a team that paid luxury tax only once and who's biggest free agent coup was Robert Horry or Michael Finley.

Duncan>Kobe and its not even close anymore, the only argument kobetards had in years past was the ring count...now there literally is no reason why this is even a discussion.

FGCHENG
06-18-2014, 02:48 PM

Strong this. Both are respectable players who took no easy way to win championships. Both are GOATs to me.

giussepe20
06-18-2014, 02:51 PM
Strong this. Both respectable players who took no easy way to win championships. Both are GOATs to me.

lol

kobe forced his way to the winningest franchise in NBA history. its amazing that kobetards give lebron chit for this when kobe did the exact same thing except he didnt even bother to give it a shot in charlotte. do not compare what kobe did in LA to what duncan did in SA...SA had done absolutely nothing prior to Duncan.

blameboogie
06-18-2014, 02:58 PM
I remember 2003 playoffs Duncan torched the Shaq/Kobe Lakers. Tim Duncan had an amazing series against the Lakers and was unstoppable. Dude was a beast.

The following year the lakers got Malone and Payton.

Point is the Shaq/Kobe led lakers couldnt beat the Tim Duncan led spurs.

Also, Shaq was unstoppable in 1999-2002. You can take out Kobe from that team and replace him with Allen Iverson or Alan Houston or an old Reggie Miller and the Lakers wouldve still won those titles. If you take shaq out the lakers wont win anything

Career wise Duncan wins.

I hope the Spurs win again next year. If that happens then there will be no doubt that Tim Duncan > Kobe

giussepe20
06-18-2014, 03:01 PM
I remember 2003 playoffs Duncan torched the Shaq/Kobe Lakers. Tim Duncan had an amazing series against the Lakers and was unstoppable. Dude was a beast.

Also, Shaq was unstoppable in 1999-2002. You can take out Kobe from that team and replace him with Allen Iverson or Alan Houston or an old Reggie Miller and the Lakers wouldve still won those titles.

Career wise Duncan wins.

I hope the Spurs win again next year. If that happens then there will be no doubt that Tim Duncan > Kobe

Agree. And honestly there shouldnt be any doubt as is, but of course the large legion of kobetards and the fact that duncan played in a small market will make the casual fan oblivious to this:

Duncan-5 rings, 3 FMVPs, 2 MVPs, 4 titles as teams alpha
Kobe-5 ring, 2 FMVPs, 1 MVP, 2 titles as teams alpha

Workout4ever
06-18-2014, 03:12 PM
Duncan wins.

giussepe20
06-18-2014, 03:28 PM
]
i think that also applies vice versa to spurs fans saying kobe was better than duncan

nope why would they be ok wit that

would you be if your teams franchise player had 5/3/2 and fans of another team were claiming a guy with 5/2/1 was better?

antiwhitekn1ght
06-18-2014, 03:33 PM
lmao at kobetards that think Kobe shouldve won MVP in 2003...'03 was Duncans absolute peak and he carried those Spurs on his back

Duncan: 5 rings, 3 FMVPs, 4 titles as the best player on his team, 2 MVPs
Kobe:5 rings, 2 FMVPs, 2 titles as the best player on his team, 1 MVP

sites.google.com/site/rapmstats/97-14-rapm-2

Why is this even a discussion?

how does he have 4 titles as best player on the team if Parker got the FMVP in 2007 ?

antiwhitekn1ght
06-18-2014, 03:35 PM

Also, Shaq was unstoppable in 1999-2002. You can take out Kobe from that team and replace him with Allen Iverson or Alan Houston or an old Reggie Miller and the Lakers wouldve still won those titles. If you take shaq out the lakers wont win anything

Career wise Duncan wins.

you really didnt see that Payton was average and Malone was 3rd string at best and on his last legs? Lakers owned the Spurs in 2004. One thing if you wanted to say that you could've replaced Kobe with Iverson but Alan Houston and OLD Reggie? HAHAHAHA

ShweezyBTFO
06-18-2014, 03:55 PM

Career wise Duncan wins.

The only reason the Lakers even beat them in 2004 was because of Derek Fisher's buzzer beater with 0.4 seconds left, a shot tha was MUCH more miraculous than Ray Allen's three.

Just think, a shot that in all likelihood did not truly beat the buzzer and only did so because the clock started late (can't be helped, I'm not crying fix it's just one of those things that can't really be changed due to precision error) is what allows these braindead Kobe fans to parade "OUR HERO IS 4-2 AGAINST DUNCAN!!!" yet they're quick to dismiss LeBron > Kobe because "HE WAS A RAY ALLEN THREE FROM NOT HAVING 2 FMVPs!!!"

because its arguably true

i would say it. then again i'm a spurs and lakers fan (don't even ask..)

lol no you are not. You're an idiot from Canada. Just like khanvictt.

blameboogie
06-18-2014, 04:01 PM
you really didnt see that Payton was average and Malone was 3rd string at best and on his last legs? Lakers owned the Spurs in 2004. One thing if you wanted to say that you could've replaced Kobe with Iverson but Alan Houston and OLD Reggie? HAHAHAHA

Shaq/Kobe still needed them to get over the spurs. If they didnt change anything i.e. get payton and mailman, then the Spurs wouldve still beat them.

Shaq was that dominant in his prime. Hell you can put a prime Millwaukee Bucks Ray Allen in the team instead of kobe and the Lakers wouldve won.

Now take shaq away from that team, the lakers wont win anything and kobe wouldnt have 5 rings.

ShweezyBTFO
06-18-2014, 04:03 PM
tell me more about which teams i support

oh and

Seminoles-Patriots-Cardinals-Spurs-Kevin Ollie Money Team

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9en10uqX41qit8aco3_500.gif

Daewoo_Lanos
06-18-2014, 04:19 PM

shut the fuk up. no one cares about your opinion of things that happened when you were 8 phaggot.

Duncan is the most accomplished player since Jordan and has had a better career than Kobe. Hardware and numbers prove it. Deal with it.

giussepe20
06-18-2014, 04:27 PM
how does he have 4 titles as best player on the team if Parker got the FMVP in 2007 ?

are u really dumb enough to think that 07 team wasnt duncans? parker exploited an easy match-up, nothing more.

but u know what give it to parker if you like, duncan still has 3 as an alpha to kobe's 2

because its arguably true

i would say it. then again i'm a spurs and lakers fan (don't even ask..)

i dunno brah im not really seeing how its arguable...5/3/2 is greater than 5/2/1 any way you look at it.

jross2021
06-18-2014, 04:33 PM

therefore lebron > shaq

This. Screw taking over games and whatnot. Fg% is the tell all, end all when it comes to nba.

Daewoo_Lanos
06-18-2014, 04:33 PM

you fkn idiot

Duncan was top 4 in MVP voting in 2007 and all-NBA 1st team. Parker got FMVP because the series with the Cavs was over in 5 minutes and Parker had a 30 point game.

You see, unlike Kobe's FMVPs, the NBA actually gave the deserving player the trophy instead of the best player on the team who was outplayed by a teammate.

fuk off phaggot

BeastModeFTW
06-18-2014, 04:41 PM

Career wise Duncan wins.

I guess 2001 didn't happen where the Lakers swept the Spurs in the WCF in the biggest beatdown in conference finals history led by Kobe who averaged 33,7,7,2,1 on 51.4% fg. Stats would've been even better if the Lakers hadn't wiped the floors off the Spurs by 40 and 30 points respectively in games 3 and 4 to complete the sweep. http://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/NBA_2001_WCF.html Oh yeah and Kobe was just coming off a sweep of the Kings where he averaged 35,9,4.
Nice try tho. lol

Daewoo_Lanos
06-18-2014, 04:49 PM
I guess 2001 didn't happen where the Lakers swept the Spurs in the WCF in the biggest beatdown in conference finals history led by Kobe who averaged 33,7,7,2,1 on 51.4% fg. Stats would've been even better if the Lakers hadn't wiped the floors off the Spurs by 40 and 30 points respectively in games 3 and 4 to complete the sweep. http://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/NBA_2001_WCF.html Oh yeah and Kobe was just coming off a sweep of the Kings where he averaged 35,9,4.
Nice try tho. lol

and yet his career finals fg is 41%

crumbles on the biggest stage.

giussepe20
Nice try tho. lol

kobe swept them all by himself? thats called a team accomplishment kobetard, so the lakers swept the spurs not kirby.

shaq was the best player on those teams. teams focused on him first which opened things up for kirby.

blameboogie
I guess 2001 didn't happen where the Lakers swept the Spurs in the WCF in the biggest beatdown in conference finals history led by Kobe who averaged 33,7,7,2,1 on 51.4% fg. Stats would've been even better if the Lakers hadn't wiped the floors off the Spurs by 40 and 30 points respectively in games 3 and 4 to complete the sweep. http://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/NBA_2001_WCF.html

Did you even watch that series???

Kobe got those number because everyone at that time was double/triple teaming Shaq.

Im not denying Kobe contributed to the championships, but Shaq was THE guy and the #1 option.

so you cant say Kobe was the main reason for the first 3 championships. If shaq wasnt with the lakers guess what kobe wouldnt have won in 2000-2002. Meanwhile if you take kobe out the team and replace him with Iverson or Ray Allen, Shaq would still dominate and lead the Lakers to championships

Meanwhile Duncan has always been #1 option until recently. If you take duncan out the spurs they wouldnt have any championships. Same can be said with 2009-2010 Kobe since he is THE guy in those 2 championships

giussepe20
06-18-2014, 04:50 PM
and yet his career finals fg is 41%

crumbles on the biggest stage.

yeah but he makes a really mean face so kobetards buy into what a warrior he is

http://i39.tinypic.com/2lb28i0.jpg

BeastModeFTW
06-18-2014, 04:51 PM
Shaq/Kobe still needed them to get over the spurs. If they didnt change anything i.e. get payton and mailman, then the Spurs wouldve still beat them.

Shaq was that dominant in his prime. Hell you can put a prime Millwaukee Bucks Ray Allen in the team instead of kobe and the Lakers wouldve won.

Now take shaq away from that team, the lakers wont win anything and kobe wouldnt have 5 rings.

lol at malone and payton. Malone averaged 10,8,3 and Payton averaged 9,4,5. They were glorified role players at that point in their careers. It was Kobe who led the way. Lol at the Spurs choking a 2-0 lead in that series.

giussepe20
06-18-2014, 04:54 PM
lol at malone and payton. Malone averaged 10,8,3 and Payton averaged 9,4,5. They were glorified role players at that point in their careers. It was Kobe who led the way. Lol at the Spurs choking a 2-0 lead in that series.

oh hey that was the year kirby got tired of being second fiddle to shaq and tried to take over...the result? he shoots his team out the finals and the lakers go on to get stomped by detroit

BeastModeFTW
06-18-2014, 04:54 PM
Did you even watch that series???

Kobe got those number because everyone at that time was double/triple teaming Shaq.

Im not denying Kobe contributed to the championships, but Shaq was THE guy and the #1 option.

so you cant say Kobe was the main reason for the first 3 championships. If shaq wasnt with the lakers guess what kobe wouldnt have won in 2000-2002. Meanwhile if you take kobe out the team and replace him with Iverson or Ray Allen, Shaq would still dominate and lead the Lakers to championships

Meanwhile Duncan has always been #1 option until recently. If you take duncan out the spurs they wouldnt have any championships. Same can be said with 2009-2010 Kobe since he is THE guy in those 2 championships

Kobe could have averaged 50,10,10 and the haters would say it was all because of Shaq. Shaq himself even said that Kobe was the player in the league in the 2001 Playoffs- "I told Kobe that he was my idol," O'Neal said. "I'm serious. He's playing phenomenal. I think he's the best player in the league, by far." http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/2001/playoffs/news/2001/05/19/lakers_spurs_ap/ In that game 1 vs the Spurs Kobe scored 45 and 10 after putting up 48 and 16 in the previous game to sweep the Kings. That's unheard of stuff- It wasn't a coincidence either Kobe averaged 38ppg in the regular season vs the Spurs that year. Kobe crushed them

Edit: Also if Duncan is as good as you say he is why didn't the Spurs just have him guard Shaq and try to slow him down? Like how Kobe put the clamps on Iverson in the finals after game 1.

giussepe20
06-18-2014, 04:59 PM
Kobe could have averaged 50,10,10 and the haters would say it was all because of Shaq. Shaq himself even said that Kobe was the player in the league in the 2001 Playoffs- "I told Kobe that he was my idol," O'Neal said. "I'm serious. He's playing phenomenal. I think he's the best player in the league, by far." http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/2001/playoffs/news/2001/05/19/lakers_spurs_ap/ In that game 1 vs the Spurs Kobe scored 45 and 10 after putting up 48 and 16 in the previous game to sweep the Kings. That's unheard of stuff- It wasn't a coincidence either Kobe averaged 38ppg in the regular season vs the Spurs that year. Kobe crushed them

shaq also said deandre jordan was the best center in the league at one point. coaches game planned around shaq kid.

Daewoo_Lanos
06-18-2014, 05:04 PM

Edit: Also if Duncan is as good as you say he is why didn't the Spurs just have him guard Shaq and try to slow him down? Like how Kobe put the clamps on Iverson in the finals after game 1.

it blows my mind that you were 12 when Kevin Durant was drafted trying to talk about Shaq in LA.

Might as well tell us about Bob Cousy you fkn clown.

FlabbyAndSick
06-18-2014, 05:54 PM
I heard Kobe only lost by 15+ points in his 7 trips to the Finals, 3 times. Amazing.

This year Duncan's team defeated Miami by 15+ points in each of their 4 wins. Amazing.

2 Winners. 2 Top 10 GOATs.