PDA

View Full Version : DeadLifts - Ab Strain?

wild1poet2
02-26-2007, 07:56 AM
Anyone ever strain an ab muscle deadlifting? Its never happened to me until Saturday. I had finished up a good 5x5 of deadlifts and I decided to wind down by throwing on some extra plates and doing a few single reps. I felt a sharp pain in my rib and stopped. Damn, now my ab is sore up where it connects into the ribcage. I can do crunches and hanging knee lifts. Supine leg lifts hurt a little but it mostly hurts trying to pull heavy. Must be the inner stabilizers. Its sore to pressure. I'm guessing a two week heal up.

Goes to show you how many muscles the deadlift involves. I was more concerned about my sore shoulder and avoiding injury to lower back.

but injuries sux.........

li0scc0
02-26-2007, 08:05 AM
Well I did get athletic pubalgia (sports hernia) from deadlifting in 1994.

Keep an eye on it. If it seems like you have a protrusion it could be a diastasis recti (separation of the abdominal muscles). I have one of those too. Bleah.

wild1poet2
02-26-2007, 08:48 AM
Well I did get athletic pubalgia (sports hernia) from deadlifting in 1994.

Keep an eye on it. If it seems like you have a protrusion it could be a diastasis recti (separation of the abdominal muscles). I have one of those too. Bleah.

bleah is right....I guess eventually we get all the injuries...

sports hernias are lower aren't they?

I don't have a protusion(at least not yet LOL) so I think it is just a strain. Kinda reminds me of broken ribs. How'd you separate your abdominal muscles? They just sew those back together, right?

Guardian
02-26-2007, 08:52 AM
Avoid maxing out on any excercise, there really is no point in bodybuilding of doing so. Ive only maxed out about 3 times in the past 4 years and I havent injured anything at all.

li0scc0
02-26-2007, 09:12 AM
Yes they can either sew it up or put a material in there to block the protrusion, as they do with hernias.

wild1poet2
02-26-2007, 10:51 AM
Yes they can either sew it up or put a material in there to block the protrusion, as they do with hernias.

cool....it's amazing what they can fix

wild1poet2
02-26-2007, 11:02 AM
Avoid maxing out on any excercise, there really is no point in bodybuilding of doing so. Ive only maxed out about 3 times in the past 4 years and I havent injured anything at all.

give it time...your still young....LOL

I never max out the deadlift..not since I was young anyways...no need really...but when you're young - it rocks...

this was just a freak thing and I'll never know for sure what happened...It is in the same area where i broke 2 ribs in a hockey game so maybe I had some cartilage trauma or damage that makes it a weak link..

it'll heal pretty quick I think...

It's the tendonitis type injury thats hard to shake off

GoJu
02-26-2007, 11:27 AM

wow, :rolleyes:, single rep training doesn't necessarily mean maxing out.

OP, indeed the deadlifts works damn near everything so next time be careful, rest up and come back strong.

li0scc0
02-26-2007, 11:33 AM
cool....it's amazing what they can fix

Yeah no doubt! For my torn bicep a potential solution is to sew the tendon to a titanium plate. Kind of makes me feel a bit like Frankenstein...or more likely Herman Munster.

wild1poet2
02-26-2007, 12:26 PM
Yeah no doubt! For my torn bicep a potential solution is to sew the tendon to a titanium plate. Kind of makes me feel a bit like Frankenstein...or more likely Herman Munster.

you too? I partially tore my right distal bicep pulling tree stumps..LOL

my doc said they could slice it the rest of the way and surgically reattach it. So he said go out there and lift as heavy as I want and try and tear it the rest of the way....that was two years ago and it is still holding up....

my doc drills a hole into the forearm bone and threads the distal tendon into there and anchors it with a bone chip("SEED"). Or something like that...

I know what you mean by Frankenstein. I had my AC joint in my shoulder ground out after separating it a few times. Its 100% now.

Guardian
02-26-2007, 12:40 PM
wow, :rolleyes:, single rep training doesn't necessarily mean maxing out.

OP, indeed the deadlifts works damn near everything so next time be careful, rest up and come back strong.

There is no use for single rep training or maxing out or anything along those lines in bodybuilding.

GoJu
02-26-2007, 01:18 PM
There is no use for single rep training or maxing out or anything along those lines in bodybuilding.

extremist pullup said this but I think it's fits well here, you can't say something's not bodybuilding just because you don't like someone's routine, to quote Brooks Kubik, singles made me bigger and stronger than any other combination of sets and reps I've ever tried.

that being said I agree one shouldn't max out often but heavy low rep training has it's place even if you're bodybuilding, gasp a bodybuilding routine that has strength as a priority, oh no!

Guardian
02-26-2007, 02:03 PM
extremist pullup said this but I think it's fits well here, you can't say something's not bodybuilding just because you don't like someone's routine, to quote Brooks Kubik, singles made me bigger and stronger than any other combination of sets and reps I've ever tried.

that being said I agree one shouldn't max out often but heavy low rep training has it's place even if you're bodybuilding, gasp a bodybuilding routine that has strength as a priority, oh no!

From a scientific standpoint such training is of little use once one moves past the very beggining levels. Training using single reps or maxing out will wear your cns, stress your connective tissue, and provide dismal time under tension. I would like to know more about this person you speak ofs routine, level of experience and developement, nutrition program, etc before I take a generic statement for much value.

wild1poet2
02-26-2007, 02:12 PM

so doctrinaire for a young guy...LOL

everyone has use for things that work for them.....for example...I had finished my working sets...(love that feeling)....and I reward myself by loading up some more weight(than what I repped with) on the bar and do a few singles to wind down where I concentrate on perfecting form and allowing my nervous system to "learn" the "feel" of the added weight...My last memory of that session is not being fatigued but handling a heavy weight in full control with perfect form....I love that feeling.
In my next session...when I do reps, my form will stay true longer even if I've added weight.... it's a good way to break through plateaus..for me anyway
Maybe I "invented" this...LOL ...I only do this with deadlifts.

us old guys...we stay loose with all these systems and theories....

GoJu
02-26-2007, 02:13 PM
From a scientific standpoint such training is of little use once one moves past the very beggining levels. Training using single reps or maxing out will wear your cns, stress your connective tissue, and provide dismal time under tension. I would like to know more about this person you speak ofs routine, level of experience and developement, nutrition program, etc before I take a generic statement for much value.

who Brooks Kubik? in his competative days he could bench press 415lbs with a 3" thick bar in the bottom position, military pressed almost 250lbs with a 2.5" thick bar, jerked 300+ with a regular bar, squats with 500+ with an ironmind buffalo bar, curls 180lbs strict with a 2" thick bar, deadlifts 450 with 2 fingers (on each hand) on eagle loops, farmer's walk 100ft. with 180lbs farmers (on either hand), 250lbs sandbag clean and press, his prefered method of weight training was single reps.

vegasdsm
02-26-2007, 02:52 PM
I reward myself by loading up some more weight(than what I repped with) on the bar and do a few singles to wind down where I concentrate on perfecting form and allowing my nervous system to "learn" the "feel" of the added weight...

...In my next session...when I do reps, my form will stay true longer even if I've added weight.... it's a good way to break through plateaus......

ditto..... only on deadlifts.. however it pours over to other "core" lifts once in awhile...(w/ a good spotter)

Guardian
02-26-2007, 03:05 PM
so doctrinaire for a young guy...LOL

everyone has use for things that work for them.....for example...I had finished my working sets...(love that feeling)....and I reward myself by loading up some more weight(than what I repped with) on the bar and do a few singles to wind down where I concentrate on perfecting form and allowing my nervous system to "learn" the "feel" of the added weight...My last memory of that session is not being fatigued but handling a heavy weight in full control with perfect form....I love that feeling.
In my next session...when I do reps, my form will stay true longer even if I've added weight.... it's a good way to break through plateaus..for me anyway
Maybe I "invented" this...LOL ...I only do this with deadlifts.

us old guys...we stay loose with all these systems and theories....

If you caN ADD weight and still do reps with good form then your not putting enough effort into your "working sets."

wild1poet2
02-26-2007, 04:18 PM
If you caN ADD weight and still do reps with good form then your not putting enough effort into your "working sets."

LOL...what is it with you...relax
you win....
I don't need a kid teaching me how to lift....It wasn't the point of my post

Trust me when I say I've been lifting since long before you were born. I do a pretty intense 5x5 working set. For me, on deads thats good. Towards the end I'm wiped. My form is fading, my grip etc. Then I "wind" down with some singles. Not 5's. Not more "REPS". I'll repeat, because this is an important point that is being missed. Not more "REPS". I dropped from 5's to a "1". could I do another 5? no... can I do a sub max "1"? hell yes! hell yes with a blindfold and balancing a beer bottle on my head..LOL Besides, maybe I like it that way. Maybe I don't want to be you. LOL maybe I like the results I get with my farked up method..

but I'll agree with you....

MoGeaYuglay
02-26-2007, 04:21 PM
actually, funny you mention it because on my final set of deads, i felt strain in my abs (like a cramp more than a hernia-like pain)

Guardian
02-26-2007, 04:33 PM
Deadlift uses the abdominal wall as stabilization especially for the spine. When I first started doing deads I also felt them in my abs for a while. Just stick with it and eventually you wont feel much once you adapt.

wild1poet2
02-26-2007, 04:34 PM
I think what happened is that my abs are so overdeveloped that when they tensed to support my core I cracked a rib loose......LOL

MantisShrimp
01-06-2009, 04:02 AM
Bump old thread. Guardian, bump negged for threadjacking.

I've got this same injury OP. Twice in one month. Very frustrating.
First time came on a PGDL in the 300s range and the second on a 3rd pin rack pull in the 400s.

Both are relatively low weights for me. Never had this sort of problem before, it's sort of making me shy away from the lift, which sucks. Feels like separated rib cartilage or something. Not too severe, but very hard to lift through. Doesn't usually activate in normal activities, unless bending down and/or turning to one side while bending at the abs.

Did you ever determine what it was?

wild1poet2
01-21-2009, 11:56 AM
I never had it checked out and like most things it went away. I never had to skip a workout. I have broken ribs before and it did have that torn cartilage type feeling. It felt different than most muscle strains that's for sure. But it healed up.

I always pull off the floor and try to keep the reps at around 5. When i was young i liked to pull high 300's to low 400+ but now mostly work in the lower 300 plus ranges(330#). You tend to lose some ego when you get older.

I do find i get more of the little nagging injuries as I've gotten older. When I was young it seemed I was unbreakable. I think it's the same injuries but they just take longer to heal up.

I still haven't had my partially torn distal bicep tendon fixed and it's holding up well. A friend of mine completely tore his distal bicep tendon and had the surgery about a year ago. He's back lifting weights and doing well. He's swore off the real heavy stuff and he's still massive.