PDA

View Full Version : Work out buddy situation.

Demonchylde
06-17-2014, 05:39 AM
I wanted to ask you opinion on whether or not you like training with someone, or if you prefer training alone.

When I first joined the gym, I did so with a friend who was trying to get fit. While in the beginning it was pretty ideal. Mainly because it got me off the couch and to the gym. My workout buddy eventually quit. I still kept it up. The difference is that I never intended to go, and never asked to go with him.

I am in a situation now where I have friend who wants to get into shape. He asked if he could tag along or train with me, and I am debating. My main reasoning is that I have been training alone now for about 8 months. So I have a routine, I switch up a lot of things and try new things.

My situation is that I really want to focus on lifting, which is what I personally need. He tends to want to lose weight, and we are vastly different body types. So his idea is going to the gym and using the Cardio Equipment, where I tend to do less cardio or use it as a warm up. I did tell him that Cardio is fine, but to help slim down he needs to throw some weights in there as well. He seems rather disinterested in that part of things.

He is a really good friend so obviously I don't wanna just say no, but I have a feeling it's going to be the situation where I feel like it's going to get in the way. Then again, I might not have gone to the gym period if my friend did not encourage me. Encouragement is good.

Would you just say no, or get him out there, have him start with the Cardio which he is comfortable with and then introduce him to some of the other things I have picked up.

I have explained what I do at the gym so he knows I am not going to stop for him.

What is your preference. Are you more the lone wolf type, or do you like having a training partner?

poundXpound
06-17-2014, 05:43 AM
Lone wolf here. It's me against the weight. Let him tag along. Chances are he'll quit anyway. Since he's into cardio and you're into weights, well then, he won't slow your workout down. Don't compromise your program.

ArchAngel'73
06-17-2014, 05:45 AM
A quote from my 1st training partner when I was but a wee newb;

"My workout has to be as important to you as it is to me and vice versa."

If you cannot find someone like this never have a training partner.

Jtbny
06-17-2014, 05:49 AM
A quote from my 1st training partner when I was but a wee newb;

"My workout has to be as important to you as it is to me and vice versa."

If you cannot find someone like this never have a training partner.

This! If your goals are different I can't see it lasting long. I know I couldn't go with someone who wasn't as passionate about it as I was.

I train squats with a pretty good powerlifter and not every week. I do much better with him because we push each other hard. Other than that I'm a lone wolf.

Demonchylde
06-17-2014, 06:10 AM
Yeah. I kind of have the lone wolf scenario going as well.

I am not sure his motivation to be honest. I guess it was the whole "Someone got me to go" Then I completely became engaged with it.

I think Archangle73 pretty much summed it up.

JimmyJonny
06-17-2014, 06:11 AM
I get a lot of people who say they wanna lift but it never works out. If I were you I would explain your differences, he'll understand. You can help him though, teach him about the diet end. I would let him tag along also, let it start to sink in.

When I started I was pretty intimated by the iron so I started on the YMCA strive circuit, basically a 11 machine full body workout. I slowly dipped into the iron section and eventually felt confident. I honestly think there is a large amout of people who say they don't wanna lift but really would like to........ they lack confidence in themselves.

StressMonkey
06-17-2014, 06:14 AM
Lone wolf all the way. I loved training with my personal trainer and we had a lot of laughs but good grief it was a PITA aligning my schedule with someone else's.

Plus if he's a newb you could get kicked out of places such as LA Fitness for "training" him.

Demonchylde
06-17-2014, 06:17 AM
I get a lot of people who say they wanna lift but it never works out. If I were you I would explain your differences, he'll understand. You can help him though, teach him about the diet end. I would let him tag along also, let it start to sink in.

When I started I was pretty intimated by the iron so I started on the YMCA strive circuit, basically a 11 machine full body workout. I slowly dipped into the iron section and eventually felt confident. I honestly think there is a large amout of people who say they don't wanna lift but really would like to........ they lack confidence in themselves.

Ok..this is what I did as well. I still go to the YMCA and started with a lot of the machines too in the beginning, before researching this and other sites. I was sort of intimidated as well, but got over that fine enough once I started lifting lighter so I was actually lifting properly. I was always worried about looking like I was doing it wrong, and I was.

He will get a 7 day pass free by coming with me so I can show him some things. That way he can see what I do, and I can show him around a little. 7 days is not really going to break things in the long run, but I see your point. Maybe if he comes and sees what I am doing he will get a better understanding, and then we can focus on our own thing. When he wants to get some lifting in, I could show him some things in the weight section.

Demonchylde
06-17-2014, 06:18 AM
Lone wolf all the way. I loved training with my personal trainer and we had a lot of laughs but good grief it was a PITA aligning my schedule with someone else's.

Plus if he's a newb you could get kicked out of places such as LA Fitness for "training" him.

It's the YMCA. Pretty neutral place. I happen to be in the Toronto Core though, so our YMCA is pretty amazing.

Jtbny
06-17-2014, 06:51 AM
I'd add it might be nice if only for 7 days to "teach" someone about new lifts and how to properly perform them. IMO being able to show someone else how to perform a lift and watching them through a coaches eye can reinforce your own form and technique too.

jeffaus
06-17-2014, 06:55 AM
When I first started I hired a PT to show me correct ways to lift and he ended up being my training partner. Since I moved to China, I have trained by myself and I really like it that way. I wouldn't want to have to teach a newbie how to lift. 1. it would interfere with my training and 2. I will leave training others to people more qualified than me.

quicksand jesus
06-17-2014, 07:21 AM
Always go alone. Having a partner was a pain in the ass. Never on time, didn't take serious, talked too damn much ...

x-trainer ben
06-17-2014, 07:44 AM
I wanted to ask you opinion on whether or not you like training with someone, or if you prefer training alone.

When I first joined the gym, I did so with a friend who was trying to get fit. While in the beginning it was pretty ideal. Mainly because it got me off the couch and to the gym. My workout buddy eventually quit. I still kept it up. The difference is that I never intended to go, and never asked to go with him.

I am in a situation now where I have friend who wants to get into shape. He asked if he could tag along or train with me, and I am debating. My main reasoning is that I have been training alone now for about 8 months. So I have a routine, I switch up a lot of things and try new things.

My situation is that I really want to focus on lifting, which is what I personally need. He tends to want to lose weight, and we are vastly different body types. So his idea is going to the gym and using the Cardio Equipment, where I tend to do less cardio or use it as a warm up. I did tell him that Cardio is fine, but to help slim down he needs to throw some weights in there as well. He seems rather disinterested in that part of things.

He is a really good friend so obviously I don't wanna just say no, but I have a feeling it's going to be the situation where I feel like it's going to get in the way. Then again, I might not have gone to the gym period if my friend did not encourage me. Encouragement is good.

Would you just say no, or get him out there, have him start with the Cardio which he is comfortable with and then introduce him to some of the other things I have picked up.

I have explained what I do at the gym so he knows I am not going to stop for him.

What is your preference. Are you more the lone wolf type, or do you like having a training partner?

" is a really good friend so obviously I don't wanna just say no"
train him for a week and then decide what to do

As for myself i loved the extra few reps that a training partner pushes you to complete, but family schedules and my friends lack of commitment to the fitness lifestyle prevent a training partner right now. I go it alone, fast but smart.

steffo99
06-17-2014, 07:46 AM
Maybe you can explain that you need to do your own thing but still be there for a little small talk, questions, and support.
I've done this with a few people and it worked well.

I like to get into my own zone when lifting, but enjoy socializing a bit after I'm done. :)
The only time I truly wanted and needed training partners was when doing distance running many years ago.

frozensparky
06-17-2014, 08:31 AM
I've had a few training partners come and go but it's always the same thing. Every one of them slowly finds reasons to miss workouts and then slowly they don't show up anymore.

The only workout partner I've found so far that sticks with it is my fiancÚ Angie. We do a 5x5 together and she's stronger than a lot of the guys I was working out with so changing weights isn't even as bad as it was with them.

She also doesn't question every single lift we perform like the instant broscience professionals that all my new partners became.

Demonchylde
06-17-2014, 08:34 AM
We talk about it today after we went in to get his 7 day pass. They actually extended his pass to 10 days because I go often. They said that if for the first 3 days I was to show him around that would be cool.

So he did what I thought he would do which was elliptical and some rowing. (not a lot of rowing) I did my main thing. We met when I was done my more intermediate set, and I showed him the beginner set that IronWill suggested to me. Showed him some things and mainly form.

I know he is not enthusiastic about the lifting part, but I explained that just hitting cardio, while good, is not as effective as combining some "Light for now" lifting. Although I will give him credit, he burns out quick when we are doing the lifting part, but man...He is freaking strong!

I did set some ground rules though.

1) Less chat more action (Unless there is a question behind it)
2) You show up on time. If I am waiting at the corner of our street for 5 minutes, Ill meet you there.
3) Do your thing, then we meet up when I am done my thing. We will then work together on the learning stuff (The beginner workout is still beneficial for me, so I just trade in a few sets of the other things I do to show him)

Eventually I'd like to just show him the lifting stuff early on the session so he does not get so burnt out from the Cardio. Then get him to do his Cardio and Ill do my thing, and then we can head out together and compare notes.

He said he agreed.

Seems excited about it too. Until I mentioned that to get a six pack, one must not drink a six pack a day.

Was good motivation. Although I will admit, I do realize I like training alone.

acrawlingchaos
06-17-2014, 10:26 AM
If he is only interested in cardio, and you lifting, I don't see the issue. It seems he just wants someone to hold accountability to. Point him to the cardio, and tell him you're off to lift and go separate ways.

kimm4
06-17-2014, 10:34 AM
Motivation comes from within and it's not something I can get from anyone else. I train solo and wouldn't have it any other way.

Oceanside
06-17-2014, 10:49 AM
I train with the spirits of ancient Viking warriors !

Old-Time-Lifter
06-17-2014, 11:18 AM
I train with the spirits of ancient Viking warriors !

Seems legit. ;)

acrawlingchaos
06-17-2014, 12:33 PM
I train with the spirits of ancient Viking warriors !Do you even know their names?

Oceanside
06-17-2014, 01:39 PM
no chaos, no I don't know their names, harcore people like me like to keep my relationship with ancient warrior spirits on a professional level.....

I don't have time to try and remember such insignificant things like "names" !

Phattso
06-17-2014, 03:24 PM
I lift...

...for my country.

mcbourque
06-17-2014, 04:27 PM
I'm a terrible training partner. I'm so focused I can be kind of mean by ignoring the other person.

I've been going to the gym with my neighbor for 2-3 years. Awesome lady, breast cancer survivor in her 60s. She doesn't miss a single day, 6 mornings a week - does cardio then weight machines. We chat in the car then split after we check in. We get coffee after on Saturdays. She's my inspiration and motivation every day.