PDA

View Full Version : New to site....overwhelmed, lost and frustrated

klw071808
06-15-2014, 06:02 PM
I'm 44 years old and never had a problem with weight until a few years ago. For the last month I have counted every single calorie and been going to the gym 4 days a week. I have only lost two pounds! I'm eating 1200 to 1400 calories a day, doing cardio burning approximately 10 calories per minute. Also using my fitness pal so I can try to keep carbs 40-50%, fat 25-30% and protein 25-30%. Drinking 8-10 glasses of water. Also recently started weight training. Any advice on what I'm doing wrong.

kimm4
06-15-2014, 06:22 PM
There's an error in your tracking methods. All foods need to be weighed, measured and tracked accordingly on a food scale. If you were truly only eating 1200-1400 calories (which is too low for you btw) at your stats, the weight would literally be falling off of you...especially in the beginning of a new program.

klw071808
06-15-2014, 06:38 PM
I am weighing my food. I started the weight training 2 weeks ago by using a plan on this site. I work a desk job and sit 8 hours a day. How many calories should I be eating. Is there anyone that offers online nutrition or exercise training. I totally agree the weight should be falling off especially since I was drinking 3 or 4 sodas a day, not exercising and eating terrible.

JediRN
06-15-2014, 06:47 PM
I'm 44 years old and never had a problem with weight until a few years ago.

If you are not doing anything different than the last 20+ years and you are suddenly gaining weight you need to rule out medical issues.

You're question is a common one on this board. Use the search function (upper right hand corner, go into advanced) and you'll have access to a lot of quality answers to questions you didn't even know you had.

... and read all the stickies.

best of luck too you and welcome.

Fishman15
06-15-2014, 07:31 PM
cardio at 10 calories per minute? ok, but how many minutes, how often? What type of lifting are you doing, how much weight, how many sets? I would also up your protein and drop your carbs. If you are eating 25% of your 1200 calorie diet in protein that comes out to 80 grams per day...not enough in my opinion. Regardless of all this, like others have stated you should be dropping weight at those calories so something is off.

Read kimm4's sig. I would bet she could get you on track...

klw071808
06-16-2014, 04:52 AM
I have been doing 30-40 minutes of cardio 4 times a week and Jamie Easons live fit program as far as weights. I did take measurements today and have lost an inch from my waist and hips so that's nice. I just know I'm doing something wrong that's why I asked for advice. I had a hysterectomy 5 years ago. I have seen a dietician, my physician ran a thyroid and hormone test. I'm just at a loss of what else to do.

mcbourque
06-16-2014, 05:44 AM
Jamie Eason's program from what I heard is not that great. Neither is the diet that goes with it.

Also, to burn 10 cal per min, we are talking intense cardio of the kind where you can just barely talk to a training partner. Also are you factoring those cardio calories in your daily count? If you do, stop doing that and eat the same cals every day.

BTW 2 pounds lost in a month is not that bad. A pound is 3500 calories. You were in a 7000 calorie deficit over that month. That's about 230 calories deficit a day. Patience is your friend here :)

Here's is something below to start with losing fat:

1.Calculate your maintenance calories using the stickie
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156380183
Or
http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

2. Eat at a deficit of 10-15% of your maintenance calories by recording everything you eat which should be a variety of food you enjoy. Whole food is better for your overall health. Meal timing makes no difference.

3. Full body workout 3 x a week. All pro is a good beginner one. Link here courtesy of Kimm4:
http://simplebeginnerroutine.wikia.com/wiki/All_Pro%27s_Simple_Beginner_Routine_Wiki

4. Keep tracking your food (weighting the food is better) and your body measurements and be very very patient.

5. Eventually start tracking your protein(about 0.8g per body weight in pound) and fat(about 0.45g per body weight in pounds). For the rest of calories use a combo of carb, fat and protein as you want.

I don't know if she takes on clients right now, but I've seen a few people on here reporting great result working online with Kimm4 (as Fishman said, see her sigline)

EjnarKolinkar
06-16-2014, 07:22 AM
Visit the losing fat forum, read all the sticky topics OP, they have the answers to all this kind of initial stumbling blocks.

If you are eating back cardio, well, this is often the problem. Tracking errors are also often to blame. Should not be too hard to get it sorted with a little research.