PDA

View Full Version : Weight loss stalled, refeed needed?

DannyGDesigns
06-10-2014, 05:11 PM
I was sitting around 166lb for a few weeks I was eating around 2,000 calories and doing cardio after every weight session for 45 mins 4x week.

Weight loss stalled so I dropped further to 1500 calories now the weight loss has slowed right down again, I feel I have the worst metabolism possible at 1500 calories im just about coping with not being too hungry,
but dropping lower than that im not sure I could manage especially trying to get in all my protein for the day.

It wasnt my intention to go low carb but im practically in a low carb diet now due to the low amount of calories, Would I benefit from a refeed day?

I was on a bulk for almost a year and I gained more fat than I had hoped for now im having a real hard time to get this last bit of belly fat off especially lower ab region.

sdunn96
06-10-2014, 05:53 PM
Give a refeed a try....
Do about 2 or 3 days where you eat at or slightly above maintenance.
Mostly carbs, little fat.

Leptin will respond better to carbs, not fat.

Then go back on your diet.

Also, I am going to assume....you are measuring/weighing/tracking what you eat, so you know for sure you are in a caloric deficit?

magician27
06-10-2014, 07:13 PM
i think you should try... 1500 cals at 176 lbs sounds very bad.

nicholaslin739
06-10-2014, 08:32 PM
Well I am also cutting too, and its reaching the 8th week soon. (700 deficit = 2300 Kcal)

On the 9-12 week, I will increase my daily calorie intake by 100 every week. (2400, 2500, 2600, 2700)
Why am I planning to do the above? Well because human body adapts, my metabolism will definitely drop and adapt after 8 weeks of deficit, So I will have to slowly increase my calorie to build up my metabolism again. This is something I have never done before but I read up quite lot about it, and I hope it will turn out right.

Then week 13-18 will be at 2100 Kcal
Hopefully I will reach my cut goals by then...

I lift 5 days a week and HIIT (Sprint 100m x 5) on Wednesday and LSST (Swimming 1hr) on Sunday, Not overdoing Cardio. Saturday is refeed day so I fill up 700 calories on cheat foods (yes!)

On topic, as mentioned by the above poster, you calorie intake is way low, your body probably is used to 1500 Kcal and is happy with it. I suggest you increase your DAILY calorie intake by 100 per week for 6 weeks.
So 1600, 1700, 1800, 1900, 2000, 2100 (Weight will maintain)

Then drop to 1600 for 6 weeks. (Weight Loss)

Build up again after that
1700, 1800, 1900, 2000, 2100, 2200 (Weight will maintain)

Then drop to 1700 for 6 weeks (Weight Loss)

etc...

Well hope it makes sense, cheers!
Nic

btw 45mins cardio x 4 days no thanks jeff :)

MiKroN
06-10-2014, 09:43 PM
Well I am also cutting too, and its reaching the 8th week soon. (700 deficit = 2300 Kcal)

On the 9-12 week, I will increase my daily calorie intake by 100 every week. (2400, 2500, 2600, 2700)
Why am I planning to do the above? Well because human body adapts, my metabolism will definitely drop and adapt after 8 weeks of deficit, So I will have to slowly increase my calorie to build up my metabolism again. This is something I have never done before but I read up quite lot about it, and I hope it will turn out right.

is this for real?? I have been cutting about 6 weeks, at 1900 cal. Just switch to 1800 cal today and in 1/2 weeks will probably do 1700 based on results.

I just did 1 refeed yesterday at ~2500 cal. I don't plan on doing that again for at least 10-12 days.

but after a few more weeks should I actually RAISE my calories instead of lower them? will I rekt my metabolism if I keep going gradually lower?

The plan that was said in this post (go up 100 every week for six weeks and then cut back again - that seems WAY to long for a cut)

Mrpb
06-10-2014, 09:54 PM
Weightlifting 176lb male at 1500 calories. Good recipe for muscle loss.

nicholaslin739
06-10-2014, 10:22 PM
is this for real?? I have been cutting about 6 weeks, at 1900 cal. Just switch to 1800 cal today and in 1/2 weeks will probably do 1700 based on results.

I just did 1 refeed yesterday at ~2500 cal. I don't plan on doing that again for at least 10-12 days.

but after a few more weeks should I actually RAISE my calories instead of lower them? will I rekt my metabolism if I keep going gradually lower?

The plan that was said in this post (go up 100 every week for six weeks and then cut back again - that seems WAY to long for a cut)

In my opinion cutting is a long term thing, as people recommend a loss of 1lb/week.

Say if I kept it at 2300 for another 10 weeks, my body will adapt and my metabolism will definitely reach about 2300, resulting in a possibility of slower weight loss or worst, stall.
Once I feel progress has slowed or stalled, there are 2 choices:

======= A ========
> Drop another 500 cal to 1800 for 10 weeks
> finish cut with a 1800 metabolism rate,
> lower energy,
> 15 weeks of slowly increasing calories back to 3000
> Total 25 weeks

======= B ========
> Up 400 cal to 2700 in 4 weeks
> drop 700 to 2000 for 8 weeks
> finish cut with 2100 metabolism rate
> more energy
> 12 weeks of slowly increasing calories back to 3000
> Total 24 weeks

Method A seems like the traditional way, and based on things I read up on (can't quote but topics like reverse dieting and metabolic conditioning), I would like to give method B a shot as I could "bulk up" doing the first 4 weeks.

But don't take my advise too seriously, I am relatively new and still experimenting and in my opinion it makes sense.
I would appreciate it if anyone that has more experience give me some input on this plan.

Cheers
Nic

Mrpb
06-10-2014, 10:25 PM
In my opinion cutting is a long term thing, as people recommend a loss of 1lb/week.

Say if I kept it at 2300 for another 10 weeks, my body will adapt and my metabolism will definitely reach about 2300, resulting in a possibility of slower weight loss or worst, stall.
Once I feel progress has slowed or stalled, there are 2 choices:

======= A ========
> Drop another 500 cal to 1800 for 10 weeks
> finish cut with a 1800 metabolism rate,
> lower energy,
> 15 weeks of slowly increasing calories back to 3000
> Total 25 weeks

======= B ========
> Up 400 cal to 2700 in 4 weeks
> drop 700 to 2000 for 8 weeks
> finish cut with 2100 metabolism rate
> more energy
> 12 weeks of slowly increasing calories back to 3000
> Total 24 weeks

Method A seems like the traditional way, and based on things I read up on (can't quote but topics like reverse dieting and metabolic conditioning), I would like to give method B a shot as I could "bulk up" doing the first 4 weeks.

But don't take my advise too seriously, I am relatively new and still experimenting and in my opinion it makes sense.
I would appreciate it if anyone that has more experience give me some input on this plan.

Cheers
Nic

I'll give you method C. Gradually lower calories in 100 kcal steps so that you keep losing about 1 pound per week on average.

If you feel you want to take a brake from dieting eat a couple of days at maintenance, then go back to dieting.

nicholaslin739
06-10-2014, 10:35 PM
I'll give you method C. Gradually lower calories in 100 kcal steps so that you keep losing about 1 pound per week on average.

If you feel you want to take a brake from dieting eat a couple of days at maintenance, then go back to dieting.

Hi thanks for the suggestion, but I am a little concerned about hitting such a low intake in the future, how is this method working for you?

Mrpb
06-10-2014, 10:47 PM
Hi thanks for the suggestion, but I am a little concerned about hitting such a low intake in the future, how is this method working for you?

It works great. If you're reasonably active chances are you'll never have to drop below 2000 calories. Once you hit ~10% body fat it's time to (slowly) start bulking again.

DannyGDesigns
06-11-2014, 03:27 AM
Thanks for the replies, I know 1500 sounds bad but when your dieting for weeks and your bouncing around the same weight and have a holiday approaching fast what else can you do other than do more cardio and decrease calories to lose fat.

There seemed no other way out to me, Im pretty guttered at the moment too I feel my bulk was not a success to what I had hoped for I gained a lot of fat and it now seems the more im dieting down that I did not gain much muscle at all. I have been weighing, measuring and tracking food for 2 years now so im very accurate with calorie and macro intake, With experiments I did with macros in my bulk it boils down to that I probably wasn't getting enough quality protein from wholefoods as I should of, I think maybe I took the old IIFYM too seriously and lacked in quality protein.

I think what im going to do is research about refeeds as I've never done one before, Ive had cheat meals but I hear they can be more counterproductive than a proper planned refeed. Continue dieting for my holiday in 3 weeks and after my holiday I might have to go back to bulking and re assess my diet.

Thanks guys

n0useforaname
06-11-2014, 04:54 AM
Thanks for the replies, I know 1500 sounds bad but when your dieting for weeks and your bouncing around the same weight and have a holiday approaching fast what else can you do other than do more cardio and decrease calories to lose fat

You can do things the right way..

From what I'm reading you are super impatient, and the "typical" dieter on these forums.. "I have a special event or vacation coming up.. need to drop 20 pounds in 2 weeks" "Oh I've stalled and dropped cals another 500 because the scale didn't move for a week or two"

Unless the scale 100% stays the same or goes up in a 5 week span.. you DO NOT need to adjust your diet any sooner. Start adding calories back.. about 100-200 per week, and don't stop until you are consistently gaining 1 LB a week for at least two weeks.. that's my advice. And in the meantime.. LIFT HARD.. and stop being impatient.

Mrpb
06-11-2014, 04:59 AM
There seemed no other way out to me, Im pretty guttered at the moment too I feel my bulk was not a success to what I had hoped for I gained a lot of fat and it now seems the more im dieting down that I did not gain much muscle at all.

That's probably because you're losing muscle by cutting too fast.

I had to learn this the hard way too. And I'm sure we're not the only ones.

DannyGDesigns
06-11-2014, 08:29 AM
Ive been dieting about 12 weeks and lost 13lb in my research over the past 2 years I understand 1-2lb a week loss is not cutting too hard, I wasnt cutting purely for the purpose of the vacation I was simply dieting because I went from 146lb to 180lb and gained a lot of fat. Thanks for all the comments I guess its all a big learning curve and as time goes on you learn from your mistakes and gain more knowledge about your body.