PDA

View Full Version : Bcaa + hmb

91trav
06-09-2014, 07:30 PM
Hi guys

Just beginning to get back into the gym after a while off. I always find it hard to put on weight, even with weight gainers as I have a pretty high metabolism.

I was just wandering if anyone of you have any thoughts/knowledge of BCAA+HMB (ie like the BSC brand) and if they'd be effective for straight out hypertrophy.

They're a decent blow to the bank on top of protein so wandering if they're actually worth the money or if I'm best off just sticking to a good post-workout?

rhadam
06-09-2014, 07:37 PM
HMB is a joke backed by flawed studies. Disregard.

You have an issue gaining weight because you don't know how many calories you need to be in a surplus, and you probably don't know how to accurately track calories.

BCAA supplementation will have limited to no benefit during a bulking phase. Save your money.

You don't need a specific post workout drink or meal. You're probably not training 2x a day or running half marathons so glycogen replenishment is not an issue. And, the body stays anabolic for over 24 hours post bout so no need to slam a protein shake the second the weights drop. The most important thing in regards to body composition change is overall calories. If you want to gain weight, be in a caloric surplus. Timing is largely irrelevant for composition purposes, but highly relevant for exercise performance and energy levels.

I'd suggest taking some time to read the threads at the top of this section to familiarize yourself with current dietary conditions and practices.