PDA

View Full Version : Intra-workout drink confusion.

adrikstalin
06-09-2014, 06:47 AM
I read many articles about the issue and used the search function to see different posts. What made me confused is the amount of completely different opinions that were totally the opposite.

My confusion is, I have this Lemon powdered juice that I enjoy drinking and it's so refreshing. It's has 17g carbs per serving, which are sugars. Is it suitable to be drank while working out or not? Some say yes, some say no. Some refer to an increasing insulin and it's benefits while others say it has a bad effect for people trying to lose fat. I'm not trying to lose fat, I'm bulking. So, is it suitable for me or not?

Thanks in advance.

WonderPug
06-09-2014, 06:55 AM
It's simply a function of personal preference, as total daily intake of all nutrients is what has a direct impact on dietary outcomes.

adrikstalin
06-09-2014, 07:07 AM
It's simply a function of personal preference, as total daily intake of all nutrients is what has a direct impact on dietary outcomes.

Yes that's right. But, wouldn't sugar during an intense workout affect my workout positively / negatively? I read that sugar during a workout can make you feel low. How true is this?

WonderPug
06-09-2014, 07:08 AM
Yes that's right. But, wouldn't sugar during an intense workout affect my workout positively / negatively? I read that sugar during a workout can make you feel low. How true is this?As indicated above, it's purely a function of individual reaction and preference. That's all.

adrikstalin
06-09-2014, 07:13 AM
As indicated above, it's purely a function of individual reaction and preference. That's all.

ahaa, thanks a lot mate. :-)

mtb4life95
06-09-2014, 10:19 AM
the only thing an intra-workout drink/snack may help with is energy levels. i find that that mid way through a longer training session, my blood sugar drops significantly, at least that's what i am fairly sure is happening, and getting some sugar into my system can really help(a banana, some candy, gatorade).

Mdenatale
06-09-2014, 10:42 AM
I prefer to drink when I get thirsty. That seems to work pretty well.

Serpentarius
06-09-2014, 10:45 AM
It wont give you energy during your workout because that sort of implies you are training for like 3 hours, should be in and out in an hour to 90 mins, its too late and pretty much a placebo effect, plus a waste of money which is most important.

kenny85
06-09-2014, 10:53 AM
Sometimes I eat candy a hour before I workout ( seems to be the only time I crave it ). Never made me feel different

realdurtysouth
06-10-2014, 04:12 AM
Drinking sugary drinks may spike your blood sugar levels and lead to an insulin spike. For most people this is bad and can lead to the (now very common) type 2 diabetes, so sugary drinks should *generally* be avoided at all times by most people. Having said that, drinking during a workout your metabolism is not at rest and I don't know if the insulin reaction is more or less pronounced or whether the same concerns exist. Regardless, sugary drinks are garbage with bad micronutrition. I would get into the habit of drinking something a bit more wholesome generally.

Mdenatale
06-10-2014, 10:34 AM
Drinking sugary drinks may spike your blood sugar levels and lead to an insulin spike. For most people this is bad and can lead to the (now very common) type 2 diabetes, so sugary drinks should *generally* be avoided at all times by most people. Having said that, drinking during a workout your metabolism is not at rest and I don't know if the insulin reaction is more or less pronounced or whether the same concerns exist. Regardless, sugary drinks are garbage with bad micronutrition. I would get into the habit of drinking something a bit more wholesome generally.

More wholesome? What would you suggest? Most juices have as much or more sugar than a soda. Sports drinks like Gatorade have about half as much sugar, but still "sugary". Milk has as much sugar as Gatorade and I don't think of it as a thirst quencher while exercising. Now if you mention sugar free drinks all the artificial sweetener Nazis will come out yelling. So that leaves water as our wholesome drink?

Do you really think a person engaging in strenuous exercise is taking a risk of getting T2 diabetes if they drink a sugar containing drink?

nicholina
06-10-2014, 10:59 AM
I think intra-workout drinks are simply a mechanism for companies to make money. After having convinced you that you need a special pre and post workout drink, you are now being convinced that you need a intra-workout drink that can spawn the sales of various products supposedly tailored to your goals. This is a way to exploit consumers lack of knowledge and gullibility. Wasn't Gatorade originally specifically designed for the Florida gators football players? Who needed a sports drink since they were competing in a professional sport? Now average people think they need a workout drink when they go to the gym for an hour.